Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Has anyone used magnesium oil spray on muscles? Thoughts?

Also have ye gotten the tingly/stingy sensation? I know it's supposed to be normal but just wondering how long does it last for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Helenasca wrote: »
    Has anyone used magnesium oil spray on muscles? Thoughts?

Also have ye gotten the tingly/stingy sensation? I know it's supposed to be normal but just wondering how long does it last for?

Yeah, my sports therapist used to always spray it on my legs after a massage. I don't know how effective or inneffective it is though as I never really paid any attention to it. I don't know what it does to be honest

The tingling doesn't last that long really, it's hard to tell as I usually walked out of there with my whole body feeling like it was breathing after the massage. The feeling of the magnesium oil is a bit like vicks vaporub on your chest. It's not unpleasant if that's what you are worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Argh. Will have to move today's 5 mile run to tomorrow and Saturday's 20 mile run to Sunday.

Sound ok to the Mentorists? I'm aware there's no such word but still........:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

coogy wrote: »
    Argh. Will have to move today's 5 mile run to tomorrow and Saturday's 20 mile run to Sunday.

Sound ok to the Mentorists? I'm aware there's no such word but still........:pac:

Of course. No problem at all. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    The little bearer of bugs in our house has passed on her cough..... Any recommendations runner's remedies???? Wanna nip this in the bud!!!

I've been battling a cold the last 7 days and just coming through now. My mothers remedy which I genuinely think helps alot is to boil lemons in water then pour yourself a mug of the potion and add two tablespoons of honey and sip. I've been doing this most evenings and mornings. Helps alot.
    Griff75 wrote: »
    Looks like I’m gone guys. After everything going so well so far I headed out this morning before dawn for the 8 mile run. Tripped and fell about 20 minutes in and couldn’t continue. One x-ray later I have a hairline fracture in my big toe and have it splinted and booted for a week and appointment with orthopaedic consultant then but more than likely 4-6 weeks off. Gutted

Could always amputate the toe for faster recovery like the american football player that had his finger amputated and played the next game after a very bad break in a game :D Just joking. Very sorry to hear about the injury Griff. It's our biggest fear as we get closer. Hope you heal up fast and we'll see you next year!
    Morning all

It's taken me few weeks to write this but have bad news. My legs went again 3 weeks ago, shins again. I'm fairly gutted but again, like last year these things happen.

I did the FD10m and my next run I felt them go. Unlike last year I didn't run again on them but the pain was there. I knew immediately what had happened.

To be honest I wasn't surprised. With house being renovated, baby on the way, heavy workload and other crap going on something had to give.

I had considered just giving it a go but I really want to do it right. I won't be signing up next year as baby will be here please god so will give it a while.

Finally, it's been a pleasure reading how everyone is getting on and I want to wish you all the VERY best of luck

Very sorry to hear about your injury brownbinman. Best of luck with the baby, hope all goes well and fingers crossed for a successful marathon(possibly pushing a pram) in 2020!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

No bother at all but just keep on eye on early next week as well i.e. Mon/Tues, you may need to adjust a bit to allow for adequate recovery after the 20 miler but see how you're feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

What about moving the LSR to Monday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Morning folks, just wondering if anyone else is suffering after the Half marathon races at the wkd?
    I feel wrecked, no aches or pain, just shattered tired. I've skipped my sessions so far this week and just plodded around. I'm supposed to be doing a 15 mile race at the weekend with a chunk of MP miles included and I'm not sure if I can stomach it. Keep telling myself a week and a bit of hard training left.

tbukela wrote: »
    Morning folks, just wondering if anyone else is suffering after the Half marathon races at the wkd?
    I feel wrecked, no aches or pain, just shattered tired. I've skipped my sessions so far this week and just plodded around. I'm supposed to be doing a 15 mile race at the weekend with a chunk of MP miles included and I'm not sure if I can stomach it. Keep telling myself a week and a bit of hard training left.

People are definitely tired and luckily taper time is nearly here. Make sure you sleeping as well as possible and that your nutrition is good. If you are exhausted and not able for Sunday then don’t push it. Do it as a long run instead and keep DCM as the main thing. You don’t want to risk injury at this stage pushing yourself too hard. Also, as it’s a race situation you might find it easier than expected to pick up the pace to pmp. Maybe take it easy at the start and just see what happens. Good luck with it.

Ok so it looks like my 5 mile run ain't happening today.

I could do it tomorrow and do my 20 mile on Sunday.

Does the 'don't chase lost miles' rule apply here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Ok so it looks like my 5 mile run ain't happening today.

I could do it tomorrow and do my 20 mile on Sunday.

Does the 'don't chase lost miles' rule apply here?

Not in my opinion. Keep them very easy and try to get as close to 24 hours as you can between the two runs.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Not in my opinion. Keep them very easy and try to get as close to 24 hours as you can between the two runs.

Just been one of those weeks, nothing's going to schedule.
    Also, not running when I should be is driving me demented!!

Griff75 wrote: »
    Looks like I’m gone guys. After everything going so well so far I headed out this morning before dawn for the 8 mile run. Tripped and fell about 20 minutes in and couldn’t continue. One x-ray later I have a hairline fracture in my big toe and have it splinted and booted for a week and appointment with orthopaedic consultant then but more than likely 4-6 weeks off. Gutted
    Morning all

It's taken me few weeks to write this but have bad news. My legs went again 3 weeks ago, shins again. I'm fairly gutted but again, like last year these things happen.

I did the FD10m and my next run I felt them go. Unlike last year I didn't run again on them but the pain was there. I knew immediately what had happened.

To be honest I wasn't surprised. With house being renovated, baby on the way, heavy workload and other crap going on something had to give.

I had considered just giving it a go but I really want to do it right. I won't be signing up next year as baby will be here please god so will give it a while.

Finally, it's been a pleasure reading how everyone is getting on and I want to wish you all the VERY best of luck

Really sorry to read this guys. It’s devastating when you have worked so hard. Hope you both recover and get back on track soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Just been one of those weeks, nothing's going to schedule.
    Also, not running when I should be is driving me demented!!

Just calm it all down. Training in the real world isn't an exact science. If the plan says 4 miles then 3.5 or 4.5 is ok. Chasing lost miles refers more to missing a week or a long run and trying to double up the next week. Moving things back a day isn't a problem. Remember this about your DCM... it's your first, enjoy it. If it's your last one enjoy it too. If you continue to run and train you won't really care what your time is this year. Leave going demented to us Man Utd fans!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Leave going demented to us Man Utd fans!

Wow, you sure are a glutton for punishment!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Anyone doing the 15mile Cork to Cobh race this weekend? My plan has me down for a half marathon this weekend and that's the closest I can get without driving to Donegal or Monaghan at 5am on Sunday morning :rolleyes: Looks pretty flat from the website. Should be interesting as have no races done over 10k so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Anyone else thinking what the hell am I after signing myself up for and how did I ever think I was going to be able to run 42.2 km. Or just me??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Anyone else thinking what the hell am I after signing myself up for and how did I ever think I was going to be able to run 42.2 km. Or just me??

It depends when you ask me. Yesterday I really suffered through 4 "easy" miles. Just was not my day at all running wise. Then today I sailed through a 20 mile long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I see Maranoia had taken hold!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

Anyone doing the 15mile Cork to Cobh race this weekend? My plan has me down for a half marathon this weekend and that's the closest I can get without driving to Donegal or Monaghan at 5am on Sunday morning :rolleyes: Looks pretty flat from the website. Should be interesting as have no races done over 10k so far.

Believe it or not, I am mad enough to be driving to Donegal to do their 3/4 Marathon in my quest to complete mileage! Staying overnight though. So I’m officially calling this a night away with the wife which happens to incorporate a run in the morning (unofficially it’s a night away to prepare for a run which I’m bringing the wife away for!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    It depends when you ask me. Yesterday I really suffered through 4 "easy" miles. Just was not my day at all running wise. Then today I sailed through a 20 mile long run.

Definitely fatigued as well. Keep reminding myself that it's just two long runs left.... Also very up and down on the pace I should aim for on the day..... Maranoia is a great word for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    Definitely fatigued as well. Keep reminding myself that it's just two long runs left.... Also very up and down on the pace I should aim for on the day..... Maranoia is a great word for it!

I definitely find that watching my nutrition helps. Took on plenty of carbs the day before my long run and I could feel the benefits. It's probably been more noticeable on runs where I have not been on top of nutrition beforehand, felt far more lethargic on those.

Another important factor that I'm trying to get better at is sleep. My OH was telling her physio that I was gearing up for DCM, and the physio's number 1 piece of advice was to get plenty sleep between now and then. Helps prevent injuries from flaring up.

Good luck with it. Hugely popular race. I can’t do it but would love to sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

22 miles done and dusted. Ran that amount for no other reason than I did 20 miles the last 2 weekends and felt pretty tired at the end of each so wanted to prove to myself I could push through that barrier.
    First time using the High5 gels. Not sure they classify as gels! Reminded me of drinking a melted Mr Freeze but did the job. Had to carry the last one in my hand for few miles as I had finished doing the loops and was on the 6 mile route home, not very nice when warm!
    Nice 10 minute ice bath at home so soothe the legs afterwards.
    Think I have decided on my gear for the big day, an old white Nike t shirt might now be gone grey but it’s the only one that didn’t chaff the nips so looks the most likely candidate.
    Local GAA club are having a 3/4 marathon next weekend so that will be my last long one before the main event. Hard to believe we are now in the realm of weeks to go and not months!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

I ran 22 miles this morning too. It was important to me to pass the 20 mile marker in my training. It gives me hope that I'll make the full distance come the day itself.

I waited until it was bright before I set off. I wanted to take in the dcm route and had memorized it as best I could but I still got lost once or twice which resulted in me adding extra distance to my planned 22 miles. I had the route on my phone too and it was a pain carrying it in my hand at times but it got the job done when I was desperate.

It was lovely running along roads and places I have read and heard about so often in regards to dcm: Clonskeagh, Roebok Road... Sometimes there was poor signage and as I ran I kept hoping I was in the right direction! Salvation came a few times briefly as the morning wore on, when a runner out training like me would fly by me. I'd follow them until they were out of sight, then back to the phone.

I took 3 gels and about 700mls water. No problems there.

I had expected to finish back in the PP but due to my extra steps I finished along the Quays. I was tempted to go another mile or two to take me home but eventually decided not to push my luck. So I walked the rest of the way home, glowing. Yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I ran 22 miles this morning too. It was important to me to pass the 20 mile marker in my training. It gives me hope that I'll make the full distance come the day itself.

I waited until it was bright before I set off. I wanted to take in the dcm route and had memorized it as best I could but I still got lost once or twice which resulted in me adding extra distance to my planned 22 miles. I had the route on my phone too and it was a pain carrying it in my hand at times but it got the job done when I was desperate.

It was lovely running along roads and places I have read and heard about so often in regards to dcm: Clonskeagh, Roebok Road... Sometimes there was poor signage and as I ran I kept hoping I was in the right direction! Salvation came a few times briefly as the morning wore on, when a runner out training like me would fly by me. I'd follow them until they were out of sight, then back to the phone.

I took 3 gels and about 700mls water. No problems there.

I had expected to finish back in the PP but due to my extra steps I finished along the Quays. I was tempted to go another mile or two to take me home but eventually decided not to push my luck. So I walked the rest of the way home, glowing. Yay!

Great stuff, very well done. Huge confidence boost that for you, remember it and use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

You had me all double checking the training plan with the 22 miles on strava!! Well done. Just the 20 for me ;-). Dare I say it but felt good?! Being a plodder is tough in some ways - long time on the feet. But I felt much stronger than the last 20 miler. Just wish it didn’t take up so much of my weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

OOnegative wrote: »
    Great stuff, very well done. Huge confidence boost that for you, remember it and use it.

Thank you OOnegative. The final 6.2 miles seem a little less intimidating now.
    I sure will.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

20 miles of the route done this morning. Feels great to have ran so much of the route.

.....One more big run left next Sunday in longwood, which is great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

Just finished up the Donegal 3/4 Marathon. Quite the trek up in the end. Commitment to the cause when you drive three and a half hours (on some pretty interesting roads at times) for a run!

Morning prep went grand. A good breakfast (admittedly, a sneaky sausage sandwich as well. Shhh!!) and plenty of time after staying in the hotel to relax and stretch out. Weather was spot on. A light shower just before the start. It was a good crowd for the 3/4 and I settled in behind a group to keep myself paced. The first part of the event was a roughly 11K loop. I found after the second water stop at 9K that things started to get strung out. Found a lot of people stopping at these rather than a grab and go strategy as I prefer.

Second part of the loop saw us push on further into the Donegal countryside. Some lovely scenery from the rivers to the valleys to the mountains. Had a grand chat with a runner on the long stretch towards the 21K mark before we headed back towards the finish.

After much debate with myself, I treated this as a trial run for the DCM. Everything I planned to bring on the day. I took the gels on par with when I expected to take them for th marathon and paced myself roughly based on the day. Roughly. That’s the key word. Yeah I was probably a bit quicker than expected overall. I wanted to at least pace myself based on a a minimum pace for a sub-4. I personally feel I did okay. I would argue based on today I’d need to be a little bit more reserved pacewise for the first part to ensure their is plenty in the tank for the final push at the DCM.

Plenty learned today. That’s my last long long run now. I’m shifting my 19K to next Monday as I’m in Sweden from Friday to Sunday. I want to try and squeeze a 5K there so if anyone has any suggestions for Gothenburg, I’m all ears!

Advertisement