Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ChippyRun

Eoineo wrote: »

My final LSR is the Lusk 20 on Saturday, to be done at LSR pace. It's close to home so I booked it with the knowledge that quite a few of club members will be there which really helps. Is anybody else heading to Lusk?

I will be doing the Lusk 20 mile on Saturday as my LSR. It was recommended to me by a friend a few weeks ago and I did actually post it on here at the time as there was still a few spots left. Any drop out places will be on their Facebook page I'm sure.
    It will be my first 20miler so I'm looking forward to it as a proper trial run for the big one and I hope to nail all the fuel/kit details on the day.

Also as it's 1st today I've started Sober October so my next bevvie hopefully will be with a medal around my neck:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

aloooof wrote: »
    We're well used to this from Skyblue but it'll be completely new from yourself and KellyGirl, Ariana! :pac:

Haha....the irony is that anyone is more likely to get a clap on the back from me for breaking the curfew! :eek: I'll save my wrath for important things... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Really genuinely sorry to hear about all the injuries guys. I know how heartbreaking that is. Once you get your injury sorted, strength and conditioning classes are a must. You'll all be back running again very soon with the right after. Book yourselves a nice little holiday or weekend away to cheer yourself up.
    Damn I hadn't even heard about this one. Doing Longwood on Sunday but Saturday would have been far better. Some of these events really need to be publicised better.

Same, would have much preferred that too! :( Most of my LSRs have been Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

I heard the Lusk 3/4 marathon is a very tough route.....be careful!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Haha....the irony is that anyone is more likely to get a clap on the back from me for breaking the curfew! :eek: I'll save my wrath for important things... ;)

I think the point is that people underestimate how important sleep is for recovery and to prevent injury. A good friend of mine is a nutritionist and was at a sports nutrition lecture recently. They were told that anybody training for marathons should be getting 10 hours of sleep each night - they meant people like us, not just elite athletes. I know that’s unrealistic considering the demographic here and jobs, kids and real life gets in the way. I for one am lucky to get 6 or 7 but don’t help myself by going to bed early either ... and funnily enough am currently injured!

Anyway, nutrition, rest, and sleep are seriously important for recovery considering what we all putting our bodies through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Following the HH plan and this is the week I was dreading when I first saw the plan back in May.

Now that the week is here I am strangely looking forward to this week's runs! Amazing the confidence a bit of training gives you! The 20 miler will be tough but I am mentally ready for it, and hopefully physically too!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

gypsylee wrote: »
    Following the HH plan and this is the week I was dreading when I first saw the plan back in May.

Now that the week is here I am strangely looking forward to this week's runs! Amazing the confidence a bit of training gives you! The 20 miler will be tough but I am mentally ready for it, and hopefully physically too!

Gypsylee you have worked so hard in your training. You got this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

gypsylee wrote: »

Seconding what Applegirl said, you'll be well able! And it'll be such a boost to have it done too.
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    I think the point is that people underestimate how important sleep is for recovery and to prevent injury. A good friend of mine is a nutritionist and was at a sports nutrition lecture recently. They were told that anybody training for marathons should be getting 10 hours of sleep each night - they meant people like us, not just elite athletes. I know that’s unrealistic considering the demographic here and jobs, kids and real life gets in the way. I for one am lucky to get 6 or 7 but don’t help myself by going to bed early either ... and funnily enough am currently injured!

Anyway, nutrition, rest, and sleep are seriously important for recovery considering what we all putting our bodies through.
    10 hours!! :eek: It's definitely true that sleep makes a massive difference too, not just to recovery but even to how well you're able to run in training/racing too I reckon, and how easy (or not) it feels. I struggle with getting asleep though - even if I go to bed on time I seem to be awake for ages. :(

eyrie wrote: »
    Seconding what Applegirl said, you'll be well able! And it'll be such a boost to have it done too.

10 hours!! :eek: It's definitely true that sleep makes a massive difference too, not just to recovery but even to how well you're able to run in training/racing too I reckon, and how easy (or not) it feels. I struggle with getting asleep though - even if I go to bed on time I seem to be awake for ages. :(

I find Epsom salts baths with lavender oil help make me sleepy. Too lazy to do that every night though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I've noticed that a few runners have availed of the opportunity to run a fair portion of the DCM route on their lsr's.

I would ideally have liked to have done this for yesterday's lsr but for several reasons, it wasn't to be. This coming weekend's lsr might be an opportunity to try it out.

Other than familarising your self with the route pre-DCM, are there any benefits to doing this?

• Advertisement

coogy wrote: »
    I've noticed that a few runners have availed of the opportunity to run a fair portion of the DCM route on their lsr's.

I would ideally have liked to have done this for yesterday's lsr but for several reasons, it wasn't to be. This coming weekend's lsr might be an opportunity to try it out.

Other than familarising your self with the route pre-DCM, are there any benefits to doing this?

I don’t think it’s essential at all unless you wish to know what the route is like. Being from Cork, I didn’t know the route last year and if anything it was a help rather than a hindrance. Yet Cork I knew like the back of my hand and had done nearly all my long runs on the route and to be honest I knew what drags were coming up etc and that was more of a hindrance on the day. Not knowing the route in DCM was more exciting. We’d had huge amounts of guidance from here about where to hold back or pick it up etc etc and that was all I needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

If you have a target time in mind, I would imagine the pacer would know when to push, take it easy, etc anyway?

Part of me thinks given I live on the route that maybe I know the route too well, and the novelty factor of the day will be lost! Having said that I have only ran the part from Walkinstown Roundabout to Fosters Avenue.

I wish Roebuck Hill wasn't going to fill me with dread on the day!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s essential at all unless you wish to know what the route is like. Being from Cork, I didn’t know the route last year and if anything it was a help rather than a hindrance. Yet Cork I knew like the back of my hand and had done nearly all my long runs on the route and to be honest I knew what drags were coming up etc and that was more of a hindrance on the day. Not knowing the route in DCM was more exciting. We’d had huge amounts of guidance from here about where to hold back or pick it up etc etc and that was all I needed.

Yeah, I figured as much. Obviously, being from Dublin, I am familiar with the majority of the route, except for, say, Milltown/Clonskeagh/UCD areas.

Week 15 is probably not the time to be experimenting with different routes. Probably should just stick to what I know. :)

If you have a target time in mind, I would imagine the pacer would know when to push, take it easy, etc anyway?

Part of me thinks given I live on the route that maybe I know the route too well, and the novelty factor of the day will be lost! Having said that I have only ran the part from Walkinstown Roundabout to Fosters Avenue.

I wish Roebuck Hill wasn't going to fill me with dread on the day!

Roebuck hill will be just fine if you pace yourself properly at the start. As I’ve read time and time again, the really heartbreak hill is the drag in the first 7 miles if you go out too fast but you won’t know that until later so you need to be straining at the leash there. I enjoyed Roebuck Hill last year - I slowed right down, chugged up it, loved the fact that there was a fake wall built there by Lucozade and the support was mighty.

Yeah, I figured as much. Obviously, being from Dublin, I am familiar with the majority of the route, except for, say, Milltown/Clonskeagh/UCD areas.

Week 15 is probably not the time to be experimenting with different routes. Probably should just stick to what I know. :)

Stick to what is convenient I think. You mentioned in your log about having to be back for junior Parkrun. Do what you know or if you have time and can afford to get lost then that is fine too. I like doing different routes the odd time for variety but ometimes handy not to have to think about directions etc too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

I’d always recommend familiarising yourself with the route where possible. Gives you a huge advantage knowing what’s coming.

If you live in Dublin, you might as well include some of it in long runs. Still plenty of time to do so.

I think the poster above shows you why. There’s no need to be filled with dread at the thoughts of Roebuck. It’s not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

Was just looking at the route map on the marathon website and i think i have a much greater appreciation for all the posts which say that the "first half is harder than the second" and "the course is designed for negative splits"

http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/coursestart-finish/

Will definitely have to stay calm and stick to the plan, from halfway it definitely seems like the time to kick on (if thats in your plan!!)

Djoucer wrote: »
    I’d always recommend familiarising yourself with the route where possible. Gives you a huge advantage knowing what’s coming.

If you live in Dublin, you might as well include some of it in long runs. Still plenty of time to do so.

I think the poster above shows you why. There’s no need to be filled with dread at the thoughts of Roebuck. It’s not that bad.

I'm actually relishing the prospect of running up Roebuck Rd to see what all this fuss is about!! ;)

I'm actually relishing the prospect of running up Roebuck Rd to see what all this fuss is about!! ;)

You will wonder what the fuss is all about! :)

I wouldn't see a problem with trying different routes...why would the route you run be a problem at any stage...they are just different roads with different names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great attitude ;)

And as you've heard everal times in various different ways there really is no fuss if you've paced yourself right in the 1st half - which of course all of you wil do because you've been warned so many times :D

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

I ran the Cork to Cobh 15mile race at the weekend. I learned alot from it. I started at the very back as I didn't feel like jostling my way into the middle of the crowd like everyone else. Big mistake as took me 31 seconds just to get to the start line and took me ages to get around all the club runners running 4 and 5 abreast. 1st mile very slow as a result.

Thought I was going too fast for miles 2-4 so slowed down for 4 miles and chatted to a sound fella from Cork about hurling, running, the economy etc :D Once I passed half way I said I was surviving the pace and time to pick it up and see could I do it. Very happy, last mile was my fastest and managed a whopper sprint finish(It is a downhill finish). I've attached a screen grab of my splits. I forgot to stop the phone as I was gasping after the sprint finish so didn't stop it for about 90 seconds after I crossed the line. That would only affect the distance over the 15miles that I covered.

Finished in 2.00.49, average pace 8.00/mile, so delighted to realise I can run at pace for distance. Puts a big question in my head for DCM now. I felt great on that run and if anything feel I could have gone faster for the first half by a small bit. That was without a taper, a hard 20mile session done 7 days previously, and I was up til 2am the night before at a 30th in Cork city(though not drinking as I wasn't completely taking the piss!). What pace do I aim for now with Dublin? Is 3.40 reasonable? Is 3.35 possible with tapering, more rest etc? Should I be conservative and aim for 3.50?

I wouldn't see a problem with trying different routes...why would the route you run be a problem at any stage...they are just different roads with different names.

Yeah you have a point. I kind of realised that just after I posted it.......:o

Right that's two curfew breakers. Your posting rights are revoked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What pace do I aim for now with Dublin? Is 3.40 reasonable? Is 3.35 possible with tapering, more rest etc? Should I be conservative and aim for 3.50?

Is this your first marathon? Then I would say go with the conservative 3.50.

You say you felt great doing the 15 mile race but the marathon is still 11 miles more than that, do you really want to go out too fast and hit that fabled wall? You can be conservative and still get a good sub 4 hour time, why risk a blow up by pushing for more than that?

You could go out at 3.50 pace and then if you still feel good after 30kms push on from there, and Dublin is a course that rewards a negative split anyway.

This is my own thinking anyway, I think I could push for similar times to you but caution is telling me that it is better to get a good sub 4 time than to blow up at 22 miles and walk home, so I'm going to aim for something between 3.50 and 4 hrs.

Three now....almost a revolt! :pac:

Just in case anybody doesn’t venture outside this thread here is a post about water / gel / lucozade sport stations for DCM this year.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057916032

Right that's two curfew breakers. Your posting rights are revoked.

Mission accomplished!!! :P

(do I win a prize?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

What pace do I aim for now with Dublin? Is 3.40 reasonable? Is 3.35 possible with tapering, more rest etc? Should I be conservative and aim for 3.50?

I’m considering between the same times as you (well, not quite 3.35!) but was unsure if I want to risk going for an in-between time without a pacer so I’m thinking of starting with the 3.50 and if I feel good around the middle, push on for a negative split. One of the other men on here (sorry I don’t know your boards name! Maybe it’s bucketybuck?) might join me so we can help keep a steady pace

Advertisement