Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I’m considering between the same times as you (well, not quite 3.35!) but was unsure if I want to risk going for an in-between time without a pacer so I’m thinking of starting with the 3.50 and if I feel good around the middle, push on for a negative split. One of the other men on here (sorry I don’t know your boards name! Maybe it’s bucketybuck?) might join me so we can help keep a steady pace

I'm going out with the 3.50 pacers too, but won't be attempting a kick on until the top of Roebuck Road :P But see you for the first half :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

I’m considering between the same times as you (well, not quite 3.35!) but was unsure if I want to risk going for an in-between time without a pacer so I’m thinking of starting with the 3.50 and if I feel good around the middle, push on for a negative split. One of the other men on here (sorry I don’t know your boards name! Maybe it’s bucketybuck?) might join me so we can help keep a steady pace

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I'm going out with the 3.50 pacers too, but won't be attempting a kick on until the top of Roebuck Road :P But see you for the first half :)

Thinking of a similar strategy - heading out with 3.50 pacers and hopefully having something in the tank for pushing on later in the race!!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

It’s only Tuesday and I’m really feeling the miles this week. Anyone else in the same boat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    It’s only Tuesday and I’m really feeling the miles this week. Anyone else in the same boat?

I hear you! Body feels tired and achy since the weekend. Hoping it passes soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Yes!!! Seems like my permanent state at the moment :( Sure it's evidence that we're doing the work though right? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Still trying to shift this head cold, it has left me drained so every mile is a struggle. I missed a few days of training last week so I'm trying to get out as much as I can this week, but I think I'll just keep to 4/5 mile runs ahead of Longwood on Sunday. The little bit of speed I was capable of has completely left me!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

Hedgehoggy wrote: »

I'm going out with the 3.50 pacers too, but won't be attempting a kick on until the top of Roebuck Road :P But see you for the first half :)

Thinking of a similar strategy - heading out with 3.50 pacers and hopefully having something in the tank for pushing on later in the race!!

There seems to be a few of us so with the similar plan of going off with the 3:50 group and hoping to push on in the latter half.
    Thats great.
    I am Padraig on the strava group for anyone who has not made the connection.
    Legs feeling heavy enough this week as well.
    Just ticking off the runs and getting the miles in.
    Really trying to focus on sleep and good nutrition for the next 4 weeks now.
    Gutted for Karen after this mornings run, with the calf problem raising it ugly head again.

I completely butchered my thigh on my long run Sunday chafing-wise. Any tips on helping it heal? Should I put a plaster on it, or better off just going the sudocrem route??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I completely butchered my thigh on my long run Sunday chafing-wise. Any tips on helping it heal? Should I put a plaster on it, or better off just going the sudocrem route??

This

I do actually use that but forgot to on Sunday, and I have been putting that on since, but I'm just wondering if a plaster during work hours etc is a good or a bad idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

sann wrote: »
    There seems to be a few of us so with the similar plan of going off with the 3:50 group and hoping to push on in the latter half.
    Thats great.
    Legs feeling heavy enough this week as well.
    Just ticking off the runs and getting the miles in.
    Really trying to focus on sleep and good nutrition for the next 4 weeks now.
    Gutted for Karen after this mornings run, with the calf problem raising it ugly head again.

Thanks Sann. Fairly down in the dumps now but hopefully the physio will figure it out whenever I see her.

Heavy legs and the feeling that fitness is disappearing is totally normal at the moment. Was only thinking about it this morning while I was running. The three week taper will sort all that out - I remember feeling it still a few days before D-Day and couldn’t imagine being able to pick up and move faster but it happens just as it should and you’ll feel light on your feet and ready for it as soon as you start on the 28th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I’d guess it would heal quicker without a plaster? I have found Bepanthan better than sudocream but could be a personal preference- it’s a little less thick so I prefer it.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I’d guess it would heal quicker without a plaster? I have found Bepanthan better than sudocream but could be a personal preference- it’s a little less thick so I prefer it.
    Thanks K, I'll give that a go... 
    Best of luck at the physio, really hope the calf issue can be sorted.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Thanks K, I'll give that a go... 
    Best of luck at the physio, really hope the calf issue can be sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Lots of you seem to have a similar target time which is super for you, make sure you meet up beforehand, you may not end up running it all together but it might really help to start off together even - especially for anyone with concerns about starting too fast!

Also a lot of talk of tired legs at the moment - this is totally normal and to be expected at this stage of the process. No harm to make an appointment for a sports massage if you haven't already? Nice treat for yourselves after all the training :p

For anyone with niggles or minor injuries - now is NOT the time for heroics! Get them seem too asap. The bulk of the training is done, if you have to rest a few days it won't stop you starting and finishing the marathon but if insist on running on an injury, especially a long run, it might :eek: So please please get seen to and don't take risks. The priority from here on is getting to the start line in the best shape we can ;)

Keep up the great work, you all have a lot of miles banked and pay day is very nearly here now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

Hi all,

Again, thanks for all the info, really helpful. Feel like my pacing is much more controlled the last few weeks and dare I say it I'm looking forward to the big day.

Any pointers regarding taking in the marathon route when out running? I'm planning on covering the majority of the race route over my next two LSR's. Just wondering do people generally try to become familiar with it or is it a case of preferring not to know and just take it as it comes?

Also, if there's any recommendations for relatively cheap running watches I'd appreciate it, just something that allows me see my per KM paces. My Garmin got robbed last week. Feels very strange running without the watch now after all the training so far. (PM if you'd prefer not to be recommending individual brands)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

sann wrote: »
    Thats great.

Ah, I was wrong! Yes there seems to be lots, I for one would be more than happy to meet up with anyone at the start and try give it a go together :) If anyone wants to pm me, or has a suggestion about arranging meetup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You could have a novices meeting point - pick a house on Merrion Square north, arrange to meet on the steps at 8.30?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

RayCun wrote: »
    You could have a novices meeting point - pick a house on Merrion Square north, arrange to meet on the steps at 8.30?

Sounds like a plan, I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

coogy wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan, I'm in!

We used a spot on Stephens Green last year, directly opposite the Shelbourne... it's impossible not to find that!!

• Advertisement

Can I ask for some advice?
    I’ve only done really easy runs the last two weeks due to hols & illness. I’m not chasing lost miles but think it would be beneficial to have some more marathon paced miles in my legs. I’m thinking of adding some on Sunday in Longwood - should I and if so how many?
    Thank you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

kittyclaws wrote: »
    Can I ask for some advice?
    I’ve only done really easy runs the last two weeks due to hols & illness. I’m not chasing lost miles but think it would be beneficial to have some more marathon paced miles in my legs. I’m thinking of adding some on Sunday in Longwood - should I and if so how many?
    Thank you :)

Last 3 miles in Longwood are probably the toughest part of the route, i’d leave the MP miles to be honest, if you can comfortably run the 19 miles around there it will stand to come DCM. It’s rolling country, I used to run and work around there so know the route very well.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Last 3 miles in Longwood are probably the toughest part of the route, i’d leave the MP miles to be honest, if you can comfortably run the 19 miles around there it will stand to come DCM. It’s rolling country, I used to run and work around there so know the route very well.

Thanks for that, will keep it easy so :)

ariana` wrote: »
    Also a lot of talk of tired legs at the moment - this is totally normal and to be expected at this stage of the process. No harm to make an appointment for a sports massage if you haven't already? Nice treat for yourselves after all the training :p

Having a sports massage is something that's been on my mind for a while but I can't say that I've been experiencing any niggles so didn't really think it would be necessary.
    Would you recommend one regardless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I've seen a lot of people mention a 22 mile run either last week or this week.

Is there any real physical benefit to me doing one this weekend? Before starting the taper?

So far on my LSR's I have two 20 mile runs, both 18 and 19 mile runs, and this weekend was supposed to be another 18 mile.

I'm sure I could physically complete a 22 mile run this weekend if my mind was set upon it, but is it something that will pay off come the marathon itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I've seen a lot of people mention a 22 mile run either last week or this week.

Is there any real physical benefit to me doing one this weekend? Before starting the taper?

So far on my LSR's I have two 20 mile runs, both 18 and 19 mile runs, and this weekend was supposed to be another 18 mile.

I'm sure I could physically complete a 22 mile run this weekend if my mind was set upon it, but is it something that will pay off come the marathon itself?

No, not at all. 22 miles may do more damage to some. It's more a psychological thing for some people to bridge the gap between what they have done and what they will have to run on the day. Your long runs are perfectly adequate and follow the plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

22 miles is too far for novices to run in training.

coogy wrote: »
    Having a sports massage is something that's been on my mind for a while but I can't say that I've been experiencing any niggles so didn't really think it would be necessary.
    Would you recommend one regardless?

If you’re getting one go to a physio - You don’t know what’s sore until your physio gets a hold of you! I’m booked in for Tuesday evening. My calves feel fine now but if there’s any knots forming she’ll find them and fix them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

I'm looking for advice for a kerry culchie coming to the big schmoke :)

My knowledge of Dublin is very limited. I know how to get to Croke Park but that's about it...... And maybe not so much in recent years.

Can any of ye advise where friends can go along the route maybe around half ways and then get back into the city for the finish and how to get from A to B to A?

Tks a mil!

• Advertisement

Helenasca wrote: »
    I'm looking for advice for a kerry culchie coming to the big schmoke :)

My knowledge of Dublin is very limited. I know how to get to Croke Park but that's about it...... And maybe not so much in recent years.

Can any of ye advise where friends can go along the route maybe around half ways and then get back into the city for the finish and how to get from A to B to A?

Tks a mil!

Just looking at the route, the half way point is just before the stretch along the Crumlin Road. Once your friends have cheered you on, it's only about a 45 minute walk along the canal into Merrion Square. Sure you'll be almost finished by the time they arrive at the finish line. :p

Advertisement