Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Is this your first marathon? Then I would say go with the conservative 3.50.

You say you felt great doing the 15 mile race but the marathon is still 11 miles more than that, do you really want to go out too fast and hit that fabled wall? You can be conservative and still get a good sub 4 hour time, why risk a blow up by pushing for more than that?

You could go out at 3.50 pace and then if you still feel good after 30kms push on from there, and Dublin is a course that rewards a negative split anyway.

This is my own thinking anyway, I think I could push for similar times to you but caution is telling me that it is better to get a good sub 4 time than to blow up at 22 miles and walk home, so I'm going to aim for something between 3.50 and 4 hrs.
    Thanks for advise Bucketybuck. Yes this is my first marathon. Only started running in Feb/March this year which is why some of questions probably seem a bit off the wall at times :D Will rein in the overly ambitious thoughts and go semi conservative for the start and see how it goes as you say! Thanks again.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Right that's two curfew breakers. Your posting rights are revoked.

Apologies on the curfew breaking. I actually started the post before 10pm but by the time I figured out how to attach screengrabs was after ten. I agree sleep is key to recovery!
    I’m considering between the same times as you (well, not quite 3.35!) but was unsure if I want to risk going for an in-between time without a pacer so I’m thinking of starting with the 3.50 and if I feel good around the middle, push on for a negative split. One of the other men on here (sorry I don’t know your boards name! Maybe it’s bucketybuck?) might join me so we can help keep a steady pace
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    I'm going out with the 3.50 pacers too, but won't be attempting a kick on until the top of Roebuck Road :P But see you for the first half :)
    Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    Thinking of a similar strategy - heading out with 3.50 pacers and hopefully having something in the tank for pushing on later in the race!!

Sounds like a right crowd going for 3.50 pacer to start and see how it goes! Seems like a rational plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

coogy wrote:
    Sure you'll be almost finished by the time they arrive at the finish line.

Maybe if I borrow a bike along the way.

Chrs for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

Helenasca wrote: »
    coogy wrote:
    Sure you'll be almost finished by the time they arrive at the finish line.

Maybe if I borrow a bike along the way.

Chrs for the advice.
    Dolphins Barn is around mile 12, there's a cheering zone there also. Very easy for your friends to walk down to St James's Hospital and jump on the Luas back into town. It's about an 18min walk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Dolphins Barn is around mile 12, there's a cheering zone there also. Very easy for your friends to walk down to St James's Hospital and jump on the Luas back into town. It's about an 18min walk

could go back into O'Connell street and change to the green LUAS to go out to Milltown

RayCun wrote: »

could go back into O'Connell street and change to the green LUAS to go out to Milltown
    Could you get back into the finish from Milltown in time Ray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

pilot1087 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Any pointers regarding taking in the marathon route when out running? I'm planning on covering the majority of the race route over my next two LSR's. Just wondering do people generally try to become familiar with it or is it a case of preferring not to know and just take it as it comes?

Also, if there's any recommendations for relatively cheap running watches I'd appreciate it, just something that allows me see my per KM paces. My Garmin got robbed last week. Feels very strange running without the watch now after all the training so far. (PM if you'd prefer not to be recommending individual brands)

Hi pilot1087,
    I personally don't run a lot of the course prior to the marathon as I find the stop start with traffic and dodging pedestrians too frustrating, plus there are a lot of uneven surfaces on concrete etc. I think that running the bit from the start of the Phoenix park up to Myo's pub, Tower road,back into the park,down the Upper Glen Road and Chapelizod (first decent hill) and back into Kilmainham a really good insight to the first half of the DCM, as this is the hardest part (IMO) anyway. Then finish off the LSR in the park if you want to add a few more miles to it. Less frustrating to run but still good homework too.

If you want a low cost Garmin, then maybe have a look at Amazon or Ebay, there are a few new ones up there for around €80-90 that should tide you over nicely. I have an older Garmin Forerunner 210 for at least 5 years now and it is fine (not waterproof though despite it saying so, the lad in the shop that I bought it from advised me not to use it for swimming). Never had a problem buying stuff from either site....best of luck ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

coogy wrote: »
    Having a sports massage is something that's been on my mind for a while but I can't say that I've been experiencing any niggles so didn't really think it would be necessary.
    Would you recommend one regardless?

It's not necessary but it'd be no harm for anyone doing the mileage you guys have been doing, you may not have niggles but i bet they find some tight spots all the same ;)
    kittyclaws wrote: »
    If you’re getting one go to a physio - You don’t know what’s sore until your physio gets a hold of you! I’m booked in for Tuesday evening. My calves feel fine now but if there’s any knots forming she’ll find them and fix them :D

I go to a Physio for physio but i also go to for occasional sports massages and actually i find the sports massage better for just a good rub down when i don't have specific injury worries. It's really about the individual rather than their qualification i think - you can have good & bad. Generally though you'll get more time for less money with a Physical Therapist or just a deep tissue sports masseur than you will with a Physio.
    Helenasca wrote: »
    I'm looking for advice for a kerry culchie coming to the big schmoke :)

My knowledge of Dublin is very limited. I know how to get to Croke Park but that's about it...... And maybe not so much in recent years.

Can any of ye advise where friends can go along the route maybe around half ways and then get back into the city for the finish and how to get from A to B to A?

Tks a mil!

I don't know Dublin very well either. Last year my hubby, sister in law, my kids, nieces & nephews etc. were all at the statue in the Pheonix Park on Chesterfield Ave, around 5m/8km i believe. This worked really well and i spotted them straight away - i threw them the gloves i'd be wearing until then and got lots of high 5s, it was lovely. Then my hubby brought just two of our kids over to Ballsbridge, he had told me they'd be around 23 miles and sure they were, a bit harder to spot but i saw them, i was passed the high 5 stage by then (i actually burst out crying :o). It was so lovely to see them. From there he was able go down to meet me after i collected my bag from the bag drop etc. I also had a friend who told me she'd be around 15m (walkinstown i think?) and i spotted her too. Those 3 milestones really got me through along with the 3 timing gantries en route (10k, half way & 30k), it really helped to break the race down into smaller chunks and to pass some time trying to spot someone in the crowd! Just make sure they tell you which side of the road they're going be standing on if possible ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Could you get back into the finish from Milltown in time Ray

yeah, should be fine. The LUAS stop is at about 19 miles, can't imagine it would take much more than 30 minutes to get back to Stephen's Green from there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Having a sports massage is something that's been on my mind for a while but I can't say that I've been experiencing any niggles so didn't really think it would be necessary.
    I just went for my first (ever!) one this morning, and the physical therapist said he generally recommends people training for the marathon get one every 2-3 weeks from August onwards! :eek: Now I'm sure that's not essential, particularly if you're not having any issues, but at least one is probably no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

eyrie wrote: »
    I just went for my first (ever!) one this morning, and the physical therapist said he generally recommends people training for the marathon get one every 2-3 weeks from August onwards! :eek: Now I'm sure that's not essential, particularly if you're not having any issues, but at least one is probably no harm.

How did you get on?!

• Advertisement

How did you get on?!
    Strangely grand!! I almost felt cheated after all the pain and torture I was expecting, but it didn't hurt to be honest. He said my legs are in surprisingly good shape so I feel very lucky! Half afraid I'm jinxing everything by saying that though :o
    Got any more planned yourself?

ariana` wrote: »
    Also a lot of talk of tired legs at the moment - this is totally normal and to be expected at this stage of the process. No harm to make an appointment for a sports massage if you haven't already? Nice treat for yourselves after all the training :p

Most runners go more so for maintenance than the need too. You might have a few nots needed ironing that may become troublesome. If you do decide too then book yourself in 7-10 days beforehand, don't leave too close to the day

eyrie wrote: »
    Strangely grand!! I almost felt cheated after all the pain and torture I was expecting, but it didn't hurt to be honest. He said my legs are in surprisingly good shape so I feel very lucky! Half afraid I'm jinxing everything by saying that though :o
    Got any more planned yourself?
    Eh somewhere in the back of my mind I have the plan to book one but keep putting it off, very bold of me.

Eh somewhere in the back of my mind I have the plan to book one but keep putting it off, very bold of me.
    Do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Griff75

Update on my own position after meeting the consultant this morning. So as expected no running for 2-3 more weeks so no DCM for me. I can swim and cycle in the meantime. What I’m wondering from the more experienced runners here is what to do next? I don’t want to lose this block of training and I’m happy to keep cycling for cardio in the meantime. I’m tentatively looking at Malaga marathon on 9th December which would give me around 11 weeks post injury. Otherwise it’s probably next spring which isn’t ideal. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Griff75 wrote: »
    Update on my own position after meeting the consultant this morning. So as expected no running for 2-3 more weeks so no DCM for me. I can swim and cycle in the meantime. What I’m wondering from the more experienced runners here is what to do next? I don’t want to lose this block of training and I’m happy to keep cycling for cardio in the meantime. I’m tentatively looking at Malaga marathon on 9th December which would give me around 11 weeks post injury. Otherwise it’s probably next spring which isn’t ideal. Any thoughts?

Do you really want to run Malaga? Genuine question, if you do 100% go for it, but if your undecided leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

My physio offers sports massage for 50 quid. 30 minutes, it is super. He is excellent physio as well. Based just off Leeson Street.

In unrelated news, I have a horrible admission to make. I had 2 pints last night. I am so sorry, I hope people will forgive me..........I can change.

My physio offers sports massage for 50 quid. 30 minutes, it is super. He is excellent physio as well. Based just off Leeson Street.

In unrelated news, I have a horrible admission to make. I had 2 pints last night. I am so sorry, I hope people will forgive me..........I can change.

Well you were told to get used to drinking out of plastic cups, kinda along the same line.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Hip has been at me since the half and put me out of action since Friday last.

A massage on Monday has really helped it and even though he concentrated on the hip/lower back, I could feel the benefits down the whole leg.

Booked him for maintenance the next 3 weeks so I can get on the start line and should be out running tonight if I’m not too ill! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Griff75

OOnegative wrote: »
    Do you really want to run Malaga? Genuine question, if you do 100% go for it, but if your undecided leave it.
    I wouldn't say undecided per se - it wasn't on my radar until I got injured and given that my injury is more down to bad luck than any kind of "wear and tear" I would like to do it once I'm happy that I have recovered. I would be 100% committed if I go ahead and book it and flights etc are cheap - it was more the thoughts from experienced runners on taking it on having had 3/4 weeks off from running that interested me. I had gone to 20 miles already in this training cycle so the base should be there?

• Advertisement

Griff75 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say undecided per se - it wasn't on my radar until I got injured and given that my injury is more down to bad luck than any kind of "wear and tear" I would like to do it once I'm happy that I have recovered. I would be 100% committed if I go ahead and book it and flights etc are cheap - it was more the thoughts from experienced runners on taking it on having had 3/4 weeks off from running that interested me. I had gone to 20 miles already in this training cycle so the base should be there?

No issues then with you doing I say as long as the injury holds up, obviously build up again rather than jumping into big mileage straight away. 11 weeks would give 8 good weeks of training day then a 3 week taper. Maybe long runs of 12,14,16,18,18,16,20,18 then into taper?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Anyone else feeling a bit negative about the marathon at the moment?? Had a bit of a melt down at the end of my long run last wknd. started crying when a car beeped me!!! Total overreaction but really bothered me.... Im kinda worried now about I'll be on the day! I guess, on the whole I'm being to feel daunted at the whole thought of it!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Anyone else feeling a bit negative about the marathon at the moment?? Had a bit of a melt down at the end of my long run last wknd. started crying when a car beeped me!!! Total overreaction but really bothered me.... Im kinda worried now about I'll be on the day! I guess, on the whole I'm being to feel daunted at the whole thought of it!!!!!
    Not feeling negative per se but vulnerable? A fellow club member spotted me on my LSR on Sat, beeped and waved and I felt a wave of emotion all at once. I'm told it's all part of the process but rest assured you're not on your own here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

It’s a huge thing and you pour your life and soul into it for months. Everything you do comes back to the marathon I think - planning your life about runs, food, socializing and it’s fairly all consuming. It is emotional. You will have a brilliant day. One thing that’s brilliant about being part of Boards is the sense of comradery and you’ll have a bunch of likeminded people to reminisce for the next while as well as people who understand the incessant need to talk about it. It will be emotional crossing the finish line, no doubt about it but good emotional. The main thing is to enjoy the whole lot of it.

Hedgehoggy wrote:

I'd guess the fatigue is adding to those feelings. It's been said a lot but really, trust the plan! You're bound to be feeling tired at this point, both physically and mentally, but the taper will help with both of those. Look at the training you've been putting in, that's what will get you around on the 28th!

Only natural what you are feeling, you’ve devoted a lot of time and effort into training, time into watching your diet, getting proper sleep, keeping an eye out for niggles in the legs, mental stress about up coming runs, worrying if your going to get through those 20 milers on the plan, freaking if your runners are loosing there cushioning, crazy the physio can’t see you the time you want.

Oh then there’s all the other real life stuff like family, friends and a job that need taking care off.

Trust me if you genuinely have all the training put in and the weather is kind to ye all, the marathon will be a totally unforgettable experience and one that will stay with you forever, feck it loads will shed a tear at the finish line, a feeling you will want to experience again by running another one, but trust me the first one is always the most special!! If it was easy everyone would run one, trust the training, it’s brought you this far, it will get you to the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Eoineo wrote:
    Not feeling negative per se but vulnerable? A fellow club member spotted me on my LSR on Sat, beeped and waved and I felt a wave of emotion all at once. I'm told it's all part of the process but rest assured you're not on your own here.

I watched a YouTube video about the 2014 marathon on Saturday and welled up with emotion. Thankfully there was no one there to witness it. But ya it's a strange one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Oh God if you're feeling negative there's no hope for the rest of us. You blitzed the Ratoath Half so training has to be going well. Once you get into the race and concentrate on the road ahead you'll be grand. It's emotional to complete it but it's not up there with giving birth I'm told. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

You are NOT alone, I think a lot of us are beginning (?) to struggle

Every spare moment has me thinking about the distance, various niggles, drinks v gels, how to carry them, the distance, will I get (more) new runners or not, the distance, what to wear, do I like my new 'name' singlet, the distance, second guessing myself at every step.

What will we be like come taper time :eek:

I've been hiding away from here for quite a while (with age comes wisdom much overthinking), struggling with my own doubts and niggles, convincing myself that I'm going backwards, all the while seeing everyone's the positive strava updates. Copped on a bit and I've spent the last 2 evenings reading this thread just to catch up! Stupidly should have been here all the time, comparing notes and inhaling the good advice.

One question is really perplexing me:

If I can barely take 2 steps after a long run, how in hell will I make it to McGrattans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Singer gave some help with this very question 2 years ago Juke.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101452551&postcount=5247

Advertisement