Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Singer gave some help with this very question 2 years ago Juke.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101452551&postcount=5247

LOL at the 5k pace around Merrion Square!

pilot1087 wrote: »

Also, if there's any recommendations for relatively cheap running watches I'd appreciate it, just something that allows me see my per KM paces. My Garmin got robbed last week. Feels very strange running without the watch now after all the training so far. (PM if you'd prefer not to be recommending individual brands)

Just posted on the deals thread:
    rom wrote: »

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    Anyone else feeling a bit negative about the marathon at the moment?? Had a bit of a melt down at the end of my long run last wknd. started crying when a car beeped me!!! Total overreaction but really bothered me.... Im kinda worried now about I'll be on the day! I guess, on the whole I'm being to feel daunted at the whole thought of it!!!!!

Third crack at DCM for me. Session tonight: 14 miles with 10 ~ MP. This late Sept/early Oct business does take its toll, with taper just around the corner. It's a funny one, mentally. But yes, tonight I had the exact thought around whether this training lark is worth it, and I'm not talking about target time here, just the general flippin' rigamarole of it all...now passing 600 miles into the (meno) plan. Then when I got back to the car and had some more water I was a lot more positive. Brain antics. Anyway yes, it'll be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Thanks for all the replies - definitely good to know I'm not the only one!
    Not feeling negative per se but vulnerable? A fellow club member spotted me on my LSR on Sat, beeped and waved and I felt a wave of emotion all at once. I'm told it's all part of the process but rest assured you're not on your own here.

I think vulnerable is a very good word to describe it. It's like I have invested a lot in it and a fear of 'what if its not worth it' is playing on my mind. fatigue is robably a big factor too. cant wait for the taper!
    Oh God if you're feeling negative there's no hope for the rest of us. You blitzed the Ratoath Half so training has to be going well. Once you get into the race and concentrate on the road ahead you'll be grand. It's emotional to complete it but it's not up there with giving birth I'm told.

Thanks - doing this race did give me a big lift and I have been sticking to the plan and doing the training. so have to keep reminding myself of that I guess! Really hope that when the day comes the buzz of it all will keep me going!
    Singer gave some help with this very question 2 years ago Juke.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101452551&postcount=5247
    :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

everyone always thinks, "marathon pace is hard, how can I sustain that for 26 miles"
    https://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/long-runs-and-marathon-training/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Oh God if you're feeling negative there's no hope for the rest of us. You blitzed the Ratoath Half so training has to be going well. Once you get into the race and concentrate on the road ahead you'll be grand. It's emotional to complete it but it's not up there with giving birth I'm told. :pac:

It's not too far behind it :o
    juke wrote: »
    You are NOT alone, I think a lot of us are beginning (?) to struggle

Every spare moment has me thinking about the distance, various niggles, drinks v gels, how to carry them, the distance, will I get (more) new runners or not, the distance, what to wear, do I like my new 'name' singlet, the distance, second guessing myself at every step.

What will we be like come taper time :eek:

I've been hiding away from here for quite a while (with age comes wisdom much overthinking), struggling with my own doubts and niggles, convincing myself that I'm going backwards, all the while seeing everyone's the positive strava updates. Copped on a bit and I've spent the last 2 evenings reading this thread just to catch up! Stupidly should have been here all the time, comparing notes and inhaling the good advice.

One question is really perplexing me:

If I can barely take 2 steps after a long run, how in hell will I make it to McGrattans?

I'm very relieved that someone has their priorities straight :D

Everything you guys are feeling is normal and it's probably only going to be even more heightened over the next 3 weeks in the build up! You'll have even more time on your hands once the taper starts so maybe make some arrangements to do some of things you've been putting off the last few weeks because of the training, things that might also distract you from over analysing and worrying about d-day - make a date with your non-running friends (if you've any left :p), ladies get your nails done, book a sports massage (at least a week before the marathon not any closer!), read a good book, catch up on the latest series of Ozark or whatever takes your fancy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Yeah ladies, getting your toe nails done would be a great idea.....seeing as you probably won't have all ten of them in November! :pac:

Yeah ladies, getting your toe nails done would be a great idea.....seeing as you probably won't have all ten of them in November! :pac:

Oh don't be scaring them :pac: Ah no in all seriousness i haven't lost a toe nail yet but apparently it's quite common :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I can't remember the last time I had 10 toenails :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

ariana` wrote: »
    Oh don't be scaring them :pac: Ah no in all seriousness i haven't lost a toe nail yet but apparently it's quite common :eek:

I’ve only lost one in 4 marathons and it wasn’t as bad as it sounds! It was a bit of a badge of honor I remember at times last year though! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I’ve only lost one in 4 marathons and it wasn’t as bad as it sounds! It was a bit of a badge of honor I remember at times last year though! ;)

I've a few toenails whose days are numbered.

I lost a nail on my big toe last year, came clean off but within 6 weeks, it was back to its old self!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

I will deffo be emotional at the finish line. My first child will be born just feet away in Holles Street not too long after the marathon. I'll be looking for excuses to get out of the house next year so DCM 2019, here we come :)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

coogy wrote: »
    I've a few toenails whose days are numbered.

I lost a nail on my big toe last year, came clean off but within 6 weeks, it was back to its old self!! :)

Toenails are for sissies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I haven't lost any toenails yet! I'm obviously not trying hard enough :pac:

I presume it has been posted here before, but just in case it hasn't, here is a video of the route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-aUnVZTQOg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

eyrie wrote: »

Me either. Must try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

I presume it has been posted here before, but just in case it hasn't, here is a video of the route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-aUnVZTQOg

I've found training very emotional this week, I'm not mentally prepared enough to watch the route yet :eek:
    Plus I just read thru some of last years novice DCM race reports and I'm nearly in tears - I'm afraid the video might push me over the edge :o
    Will watch it after Longwood :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Huzzah! wrote: »
    eyrie wrote: »

Me either. Must try harder.
    I wouldn't complain! It rules out open-toe sandals a lot :P

kittyclaws wrote: »
    I've found training very emotional this week, I'm not mentally prepared enough to watch the route yet :eek:
    Plus I just read thru some of last years novice DCM race reports and I'm nearly in tears - I'm afraid the video might push me over the edge :o

That comment underneath the youtube clip had me in stitches!!!

You will be just fine. I just watched the video there again. Haven’t seen it since last year. The difference is the whole way along the route you will have supporters and bands and music and it’s just ‘alive’. It will be amazing and you will have a ball. I can’t wait to read this year’s reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

ariana` wrote: »

, book a sports massage (at least a week before the marathon not any closer!),
    Why would you say not to have a sports massage in the week running up to the race? I get them regularly and find them great. Have one scheduled the Wednesday before the marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Yeah, the music that they play on the video for DCM 2014 plucks at the heartstrings alright, very dusty in the room that I was watching it in :D

I actually even made a brief cameo diving for the finish line at the end of the video.....tough weather conditions (sunny and humid) that day for my DCM debut.....2015 was four seasons in four hours........I hope it snows this year!!

Why would you say not to have a sports massage in the week running up to the race? I get them regularly and find them great. Have one scheduled the Wednesday before the marathon

Just because you could be tender after a massage if very deep. As you get closer to Marathon day the massage would want to be that bit lighter.

Just because you could be tender after a massage if very deep. As you get closer to Marathon day the massage would want to be that bit lighter.

I may have left it too late for a sports massage.
    Tried a couple of places today but neither of them had availability before the week of DCM.........

ARGH.

I remember when I was training for my first DCM. The music on the DCM video at the time on YouTube was "Shine" by Take That. I often start off my run with the song and every time I hear it it reminds me of it.

Nothing to be afraid of. As somebody said above, the crowd are absolutely epic the whole way around, shouting, cheering, hooping and hollering. You will feel like a rock star for a day.

My only lament about the route, it was incredible when you came around Trinity College to a wall of noise on Nassau Street. I was close to the finishing line last year cheering on a few friends (they better be there this year) but I feel that cauldron of noise which was generated by the buildings around Nassau Street was incredible. Maybe it'll feel different when I am running this year, we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

must go back and read what gibberish I wrote last year:D

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Guys, I got very emotional yesterday. I searched through the archive results on the dcm website and found my Daddy's name and finishing times on several marathons back in the early 90's.
    I'm not gonna lie, there were tears.

Seeing his name gave me a lovely warm feeling, almost like having him back for a moment. I hope I do him proud on the big day.
    I can't wait to place my medal beside his collection.

Guys, I got very emotional yesterday. I searched through the archive results on the dcm website and found my Daddy's name and finishing times on several marathons back in the early 90's.

Seeing his name gave me a lovely warm feeling, almost like having him back for a moment. I hope I do him proud on the big day.

Don't you doubt that, even for a second! He'll be the loudest voice in your ear on the day!

Ah that’s amazing. You will have him with you the whole way round. He’ll well proud of you!

• Advertisement

If you have them regularly and are using a practitioner that you are used to then you will know how long it takes you to recover so having it closer is fine. For someone new to it i wouldn't risk having it within the last week. A deep tissue massage can have the same effect as a hard workout on your muscles - doing it too close to the race can lead to heavy aching legs.

You have already done him so proud getting this far! He will be with you on the day, your own private cheerleader there with you every step of the way.

Advertisement