Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Thanks guys x

In a way it felt very reassuring seeing his name printed on those lists. I always knew my Daddy was a marathoner but yesterday I felt it. I felt the training he would have done, the months of preparation. The excitement and apprehension leading up to the big day that surely was his, like it is now mine. He is gone over 20 years and yet I've never felt closer to him.

Anyways I'll stop with derailing the thread now with my personal stuff. It was just a dcm moment I wanted to share with you x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Thanks guys x

In a way it felt very reassuring seeing his name printed on those lists. I always knew my Daddy was a marathoner but yesterday I felt it. I felt the training he would have done, the months of preparation. The excitement and apprehension leading up to the big day that surely was his, like it is now mine. He is gone over 20 years and yet I've never felt closer to him.

Anyways I'll stop with derailing the thread now with my personal stuff. It was just a dcm moment I wanted to share with you x
    That's really lovely. Thanks for sharing it. What a lovely feeling to have with you going through this x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks guys x

This is truly heart warming. I also lost my dad over 20 years ago and i can understand how it must feel to find something that makes you feel a connection to him despite the passage of time. It was a lovely dcm moment, thanks for sharing x

I know a few on here are doing various different 3/4 marathons this weekend. I just want to post a little reminder/warning to be careful and don't leave your marathon in Longwood, Lusk, Tarmonbarry or any other destination this weekend ;)

This is the last long slow run, nail it and you will come away with a real confidence boost heading into the taper. Race it and it could leave you in a position where you are still recovering in 2 weeks time.

I understand there may be a bit of fear and a subsequent need to 'test' yourselves over a longer distance at this stage but there is no need to worry and certainly no need to run a 3/4 marathon at MP or faster 3 weeks out.

RayCun posted a link to an article yesterday which explains why marathon pace won't be a problem on the day which is worth taking a few minutes to read this.

What i do recommend is that you use it as your last dress rehearsal before the big day. Eat the same breakfast, pre-race snacks, wear the same clothes, use the same gels (or other) and take at the same intervals as you plan on the day... Run well and enjoy your last very long slow run ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

Just with regards to the last LSR this weekend, I'm struggling with various niggles. Is there much to be gained or lost if the 18 miler isn't completed this weekend ?

• Advertisement

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Just with regards to the last LSR this weekend, I'm struggling with various niggles. Is there much to be gained or lost if the 18 miler isn't completed this weekend ?

Rossi at this stage there is most definitely more to be lost than gained. Can you get a physio appointment?

I was in with him on Wednesday for dry needling, body feels good just was thinking the work done now might of been enough. Having said that doing the 18m would be a nice confidence boost to the body

I was in with him on Wednesday for dry needling, body feels good just was thinking the work done now might of been enough. Having said that doing the 18m would be a nice confidence boost to the body

Did you ask the Physio his thoughts on doing the long run? If not maybe you could drop him a text to see what he thinks as he is probably best placed to advise you.

If you decide to go ahead, i'd suggest the max you run is 3hrs - even if this is 17m. And maybe pick a route with some loops so you have options to cut it shorter if you need to? And take the pace handy, it's pace and not distance that tends to cause problems.

The work is done but it would be nice confidence boost before the official taper to get a good last long run done this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Not to single you out, because a lot of people are going to have this thought in the next few weeks
    "I know it's only two weeks to the marathon, but another 20 mile run would really boost my confidence"
    "I know I've already run 20 miles, but a 22 mile run would really boost my confidence"
    "I know taper has started, but I don't think I've run enough at marathon pace, an 8 mile run would really boost my confidence"

The work is done. At this stage, the main thing is getting to the start line in good shape, not trying to squeeze in extra training. Anything you wish you'd done more of - write it down for the next training cycle, but forget about doing it now.

I mentioned above, there is a constant question, "how do I run 26 miles at marathon pace when 20 miles easy is so hard, and 8 miles at marathon pace is so hard", and the answer is that those runs are hard because they are done in the middle of hard training, and the marathon is possible because it is done after a couple of weeks of taper and recovery.

That doesn't work if you don't taper.

It's hard, after months of watching the miles go up, and forcing yourself out for runs on tired legs, to sit inside when you could be running and watch the miles go down again. But it has to be done.

It's hard, when you are feeling less tired, to hold yourself back on the runs you do instead of compensating for the shorter runs by running them faster. But it has to be done.

You need to let your body recover so you will be in top shape on marathon day. That is the number one priority now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

RayCun wrote: »
    Not to single you out, because a lot of people are going to have this thought in the next few weeks
    "I know it's only two weeks to the marathon, but another 20 mile run would really boost my confidence"
    "I know I've already run 20 miles, but a 22 mile run would really boost my confidence"
    "I know taper has started, but I don't think I've run enough at marathon pace, an 8 mile run would really boost my confidence"

The work is done. At this stage, the main thing is getting to the start line in good shape, not trying to squeeze in extra training. Anything you wish you'd done more of - write it down for the next training cycle, but forget about doing it now.

I mentioned above, there is a constant question, "how do I run 26 miles at marathon pace when 20 miles easy is so hard, and 8 miles at marathon pace is so hard", and the answer is that those runs are hard because they are done in the middle of hard training, and the marathon is possible because it is done after a couple of weeks of taper and recovery.

It's hard, after months of watching the miles go up, and forcing yourself out for runs on tired legs, to sit inside when you could be running and watch the miles go down again. But it has to be done.

It's hard, when you are feeling less tired, to hold yourself back on the runs you do instead of compensating for the shorter runs by running them faster. But it has to be done.

You need to let your body recover so you will be in top shape on marathon day. That is the number one priority now.

Big +1 to this, read it and memorise it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Another huge +1 to this. It's the making and breaking of your marathon.

Sorry I've not been on more. I've been running in the mornings and working until 10 at night. The curfew has managed to silence me! :pac:

Some great posts during the week and hopefully the knowledge that the tiredness is commonplace will help.

Great advice, i only wish i could have put it so well myself.

I know you weren't singling Rossi out but i still feel i need to defend him by saying that the run he is talking about doing is on the plan - he's not trying to squeeze in extra runs/miles, he's just hoping to finish out the plan on a high rather than being left feeling that he didn't complete the planned runs. I can understand this, i'm sure we all can...

Rossi only you can ultimately decide what to do this weekend. As i highlighted above from RayCun's post, the bulk of the training is done and we're at the stage now where getting to the start line is the main thing and you need to do whatever you need to do to make that happen :)

Cheers Ray, that's what I was thinking myself. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

OOnegative wrote: »
    Big +1 to this, read it and memorise it!!

I have printed it off and laminated it!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

I have printed it off and laminated it!

oooohhhh fancy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

People mentioned tiredness from all the cumulative miles and I thought "Ah I'm not too bad, could do with more sleep but still getting 7-8hrs a night."

Did my first and only 10mile fartlek session last night as per the plan, felt a bit tired after dinner but nothing unusual.

Woke up this morning and heard a builder outside doing a bit of work. Thought he must be here early but alot of builders start at 8am...then opened my eyes and said it's much too bright to be 8am...checked the phone...9.11am. Only the second time in 6 years I have woken up after I should have actually been at work. Out of bed, clothes on, sprinted out the door and into the car. In work at 9.22am. (I only live 1.3miles from work) Not too bad really, could have been worse! Still can't figure out if the alarm didn't go off or if I slept through the alarm going off every 10mins from 7.30-9.11am :eek: Bed early tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

the bulk of the training is done and we're at the stage now where getting to the start line is the main thing and you need to do whatever you need to do to make that happen

My mileage will go down this week. My easy runs were very easy and they ended up being shorter , hated seeing the mileage go down and was very tempted to add a few extra miles to my run this evening. These words were ringing in my ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Every single word of this makes so much sense :)

Thanks Ray!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

Chalked on off my bucket list this morning as I got my first run on foreign soil in. A weekend in Gothenburg for ice hockey provided th prefect opportunity. Nice city to run around, particularly early in the morning before any traffic pick up. An easy enough 5K was the order of the day. A little down on the intended 8K on my plan but in an unfamiliar place I didn’t want to take too many chances either and get lost! That and while an effort will be made to be somewhat healthy this weekend, I didn’t live like a monk last night!! I’ll get my LSR in on Monday morning when I’m back on home at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

I'm surprised that Strava hasn't crashed with all the LSRs being knocked out this morning! Delighted to get 21 miles done, happy with the pacing and the body feels ok so far. Keep it going folks the start line is in sight!

• Advertisement

Well done everybody!!! It really is amazing the runs that have been done this morning. Long ones, well paced and steady. Be very proud. For lots of you the taper has now begun, for a few more there are 24 or 48 hours before it begins. Make sure to enjoy it and resist the temptation of last minute cramming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Extremely challenging 20 mile in Lusk today but perfect weather conditions. The elevations I'm told are the same as DCM so it's excellent training for the real deal. Stuck to the plan and did it at LSR pace and finished exactly as I intended, even with walking the last 7km home it's all miles in the legs.
    The yoga during the week paid off in spades and whereas I hobbled home last Saturday after my LSR, today I am sore but it's manageable. Roll on more yoga on Monday to get my stretch on.
    Well done everyone on your LSR's today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'm absolutely wiped after today's run. Won't have too much trouble obeying the curfew tonight.

Just a quick tip for anyone thinking of moving down a wave at DCM from the one that they have been assigned....Assemble with the wave that you have been given and move forward to the start line with that group. When the gun sounds you can just hang around and wait for the next wave to be brought to the start on Fitzwilliam Square. The two main benefits are 1) You will be at the front of the wave without any hassle and 2) You will have 10 minutes with very few people around and lots of portaloos to choose from. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Just a quick tip for anyone thinking of moving down a wave at DCM from the one that they have been assigned....Assemble with the wave that you have been given and move forward to the start line with that group. When the gun sounds you can just hang around and wait for the next wave to be brought to the start on Fitzwilliam Square. The two main benefits are 1) You will be at the front of the wave without any hassle and 2) You will have 10 minutes with very few people around and lots of portaloos to choose from. :D

Thanks - exactly the tip I wanted!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Looking ahead post-DCM and the Waterford AC half marathon has come on my radar. It's on the 1st of December. Is that too soon after DCM? The no hard days for every mile raced takes me up to 23rd November, a week before Waterford.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Looking ahead post-DCM and the Waterford AC half marathon has come on my radar. It's on the 1st of December. Is that too soon after DCM? The no hard days for every mile raced takes me up to 23rd November, a week before Waterford.

Maybe we'll leave that for the grads thread..... keeping the main thing the main thing and all that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

A bit of advice if anyone has any similar experience in the past. It's not an injury just an irritation.

When I'm running long distance on roads I get an awful burning sensation in the ball of my right foot under my big toe. Left foot is grand. It's like the sock has gathered... But it hasn't. I don't end up with a blister. Just a bit of tenderness. It happened last year in the half in my asics and it happened again today in my saucony. I was wearing 1000 mile socks. It hurts so do much that I have to change the fall of my foot onto the flat outside of my foot and not my toes like I normally run.

I know injuries aren't to be discussed as we're not medical professionals but it's more an irritation and wondering if there's away of rectifying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Helenasca wrote: »
    A bit of advice if anyone has any similar experience in the past. It's not an injury just an irritation.

When I'm running long distance on roads I get an awful burning sensation in the ball of my right foot under my big toe. Left foot is grand. It's like the sock has gathered... But it hasn't. I don't end up with a blister. Just a bit of tenderness. It happened last year in the half in my asics and it happened again today in my saucony. I was wearing 1000 mile socks. It hurts so do much that I have to change the fall of my foot onto the flat outside of my foot and not my toes like I normally run.

I know injuries aren't to be discussed as we're not medical professionals but it's more an irritation and wondering if there's away of rectifying it.

I have absolutely no idea Helenasca. What I would worry about is that when you change the fall of your foot that you are then doing damage by compensating with other muscles / tendons / ligaments.

Have you ever asked a professional about it? Hopefully won’t happen on your runs between now and DCM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Kellygirl wrote:
    I have absolutely no idea Helenasca. What I would worry about is that when you change the fall of your foot that you are then doing damage by compensating with other muscles / tendons / ligaments.

Kellygirl wrote:
    Have you ever asked a professional about it? Hopefully won’t happen on your runs between now and DCM.

Thanks. I know what you mean bout straining the other muscles. I had forgotten about it happening until today. Cos I usually do long runs in the park on small gravel chip paths. It'd be fine if I could put some sort of a dressing on it but sure that could end up moving and giving me a blister which I def don't want. I might go for a massage this wk or next and ask the physio. But I'm not sure they'd be able to help either as it's not muscular. Might just have to suck it up.

Advertisement