Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Helenasca wrote: »
    Thanks. I know what you mean bout straining the other muscles. I had forgotten about it happening until today. Cos I usually do long runs in the park on small gravel chip paths. It'd be fine if I could put some sort of a dressing on it but sure that could end up moving and giving me a blister which I def don't want. I might go for a massage this wk or next and ask the physio. But I'm not sure they'd be able to help either as it's not muscular. Might just have to suck it up.

A chiropodist? Is it that sort of an issue so you think? Funny with two different pairs of runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Thanks. I know what you mean bout straining the other muscles. I had forgotten about it happening until today. Cos I usually do long runs in the park on small gravel chip paths. It'd be fine if I could put some sort of a dressing on it but sure that could end up moving and giving me a blister which I def don't want. I might go for a massage this wk or next and ask the physio. But I'm not sure they'd be able to help either as it's not muscular. Might just have to suck it up.

The first marathon training cycle can throw up all sorts of weird and wonderful niggles. Every muscle, tendon, ligament, joint or bone is being asked to do more than it has ever done before. Given time and consistent training I would suspect it will settle down.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Kellygirl wrote:
    A chiropodist? Is it that sort of an issue so you think? Funny with two different pairs of runners.

I don't even think that Kellygirl. I'd nearly be happier if it just have me a bleedin blister for it to heal and sort itself out.
    skyblue46 wrote:
    The first marathon training cycle can throw up all sorts of weird and wonderful niggles. Every muscle, tendon, ligament, joint or bone is being asked to do more than it has ever done before. Given time and consistent training I would suspect it will settle down.

You're not wrong about that one Sean so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Helenesca, in looking for solutions to my second toe blister/nail problem, I came across padded tubes for toes that you cut to size. Can't see them on the website, but they look a bit like this:

12564429_max.jpg

They provide nice gentle support, and don't irritate me - might be worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Just a quick tip for anyone thinking of moving down a wave at DCM from the one that they have been assigned....Assemble with the wave that you have been given and move forward to the start line with that group. When the gun sounds you can just hang around and wait for the next wave to be brought to the start on Fitzwilliam Square. The two main benefits are 1) You will be at the front of the wave without any hassle and 2) You will have 10 minutes with very few people around and lots of portaloos to choose from. :D

Deadly tip, think I'll be doing that.

• Advertisement

Deadly tip, think I'll be doing that.

Yeah it's much better than going to the corral for the lower wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

juke wrote:

Tks juke but my prob is underneath my foot so would need a sticky dressing which is bound to move out of place once I start sweating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Tks juke but my prob is underneath my foot so would need a sticky dressing which is bound to move out of place once I start sweating!

Hey Helenasca

I would say it is muscular. The peroneus longus tendon attaches under your foot at that exact point. It travels down behind outside ankle, under foot and attaches base of the 1st metatarsal bone. This is a muscle in your calf. So maybe tight calf or maybe you slightly twisted your outside ankle at some stage?

It Could be one of the other calf muscles as they all go behind either your inner or outer ankle and attach to different bones under your feet. But where you are describing sounds like that point perhaps?

Anyway not trying to give “medical advice” - just to let you know I went for a sports massage and he spent ages massaging my feet as my peroneal tendon was giving me trouble. It hasn’t bothered me since. So I would recommend a physio or sports massage of calf and foot.

While you wait I would stretch calf and get someone to massage behind your ankle and foot :))) hope it resolves asap for you as you don’t want to be running the whole marathon on the outside of your foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

So whose idea was it to drive to co Meath for a 3/4 marathon in the rain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

juke wrote: »
    Helenesca, in looking for solutions to my second toe blister/nail problem, I came across padded tubes for toes that you cut to size. Can't see them on the website, but they look a bit like this:

12564429_max.jpg

Deals sell gel toe covers, 4 for 1.50 which work really well. As an alternative option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 ChippyRun

Eoineo wrote: »
    Extremely challenging 20 mile in Lusk today but perfect weather conditions. The elevations I'm told are the same as DCM so it's excellent training for the real deal. Stuck to the plan and did it at LSR pace and finished exactly as I intended, even with walking the last 7km home it's all miles in the legs.
    The yoga during the week paid off in spades and whereas I hobbled home last Saturday after my LSR, today I am sore but it's manageable. Roll on more yoga on Monday to get my stretch on.
    Well done everyone on your LSR's today.

Well done Eoineo, I was in Lusk also and really enjoyed the experience.. tough course with that long drag to do 3 times but will stand to us in 3 weeks time.
    Fair play to East of Ireland group for a well organised event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

18mile LSR done this morning. Started at 6.50am in the dark with the head torch doing laps of local track. Kept the pace steady and was pretty tired by the end. Last week was one of the biggest weeks on the plan so that explains the legs being tired. A friend asked me during the week how I was getting on with blisters... I said great, only one blister the whole time I've been training. Cue a nice big blister on the inside of my second toe between it and my big toe. Bought 4 new pairs of 1000mile socks this week and wonder could that have caused it. Either way not the end of the world and better now than the week of the marathon!!

We are nearly there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

Cue a nice big blister on the inside of my second toe between it and my big toe.

I have had blisters in that same spot a few times. Now I always put a bit of vaseline there before long runs and haven't had a problem since.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks guys x

In a way it felt very reassuring seeing his name printed on those lists. I always knew my Daddy was a marathoner but yesterday I felt it. I felt the training he would have done, the months of preparation. The excitement and apprehension leading up to the big day that surely was his, like it is now mine. He is gone over 20 years and yet I've never felt closer to him.

Anyways I'll stop with derailing the thread now with my personal stuff. It was just a dcm moment I wanted to share with you x

You might see the odd memorial t-shirts out there, it's quite humbling. You don't know what battle the person next to you has been through. Can be a tough day in more ways than one.

Best of luck with the taper now, everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Longwood done and dusted! It was very very cold, and not as flat as the organisers had lead me to believe :D
    I was happy with my pace, I aimed for 11:30 LSR pace all the way around - but I was feeling strong at mile 16 so decided to finish the rest at marathon pace.
    Lovely, but lonely course. Not many supporters and if you were not running with a pace group you were pretty much on your own on the course.
    Despite my slow pace I passed a lot of people walking from mile 12 onwards, it’s so easy to get carried away with the faster runners so I was glad I had started at the back of the pack.
    Fruit cake and Tayto sambos at the finish line, absolute heaven!

kittyclaws wrote: »
    Longwood done and dusted! It was very very cold, and not as flat as the organisers had lead me to believe :D
    I was happy with my pace, I aimed for 11:30 LSR pace all the way around - but I was feeling strong at mile 16 so decided to finish the rest at marathon pace.
    Lovely, but lonely course. Not many supporters and if you were not running with a pace group you were pretty much on your own on the course.
    Despite my slow pace I passed a lot of people walking from mile 12 onwards, it’s so easy to get carried away with the faster runners so I was glad I had started at the back of the pack.
    Fruit cake and Tayto sambos at the finish line, absolute heaven!

I took some of the fruit cake on offer at 13miles....it’s a high point of my entire training plan!

Found it a very tough course too...but we got it done.

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    I took some of the fruit cake on offer at 13miles....it’s a high point of my entire training plan!.

I know!!! I was saying to the lady at table how cold I still was 13 miles in and she said to take an extra slice to warm me up - as it had whiskey in it :D It worked!
    I’m looking forward to doing ‘only’ 14 miles next weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Longwood done and dusted as well, I thought it was very hilly myself, and lonely and windy (thank god I brought my mp3 player/phone because I'd have went mad otherwise). I don't remember Dublin being as hilly in my previous 2 marathons, having said that the route has changed in the intervening period.

Did 19.96 miles which I was happy enough with although I know how I will be getting to the finish line in 3 weeks - slowly!!!

I thought it was well organised, I suppose you can't lock people and farmers into their houses - it brought me back to my youth - growing up in rural Ireland and the smell of cow sh1t, animals mooing, etc.

The water stations stacked with bananas, oranges, etc. I was tempted by the fruit cake but decided I wouldn't have it in 3 weeks time so decided against it!!

Soup, tayto sandwiches, fruit, tea, coffee, etc were just what the physio ordered!!

Glad to have finally hit the taper but I feel I'm 1 20+ miler short of where I wanted to be. Having said that, I am conscious that I am the owner of a very volatile knee which would definitely flare up if I ran many more.

I struggled between 18 and 20 today like I struggled between 16 and 18 last week!!

Would I do Longwood again - to me it was just another LSR. Good atmosphere when we arrived back to the GAA club mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Had a really enjoyable but challenging run at Longwood today. It was difficult to hold the reigns and not ‘race on’ at times. Especially after mile 13 all I wanted to do was be home and had to battle with the little ‘if you run quicker you’re home quicker’ gremlin in my brain!

So we stuck with the 4hr pacer for around 10 miles. Shout out to the pacers for the chats and the advice! Had to break away as really needed the portaloo and so lost about 5 mins but didn’t really mind.

The orange slices from mile 13 were an absolute treat.. honestly felt like I had never tasted anything more delicious in my life!

Great support from locals throughout fair play to them! Came over the line in 3:20 so think I’m well within a 4 hour 30 marathon (not that I’m particularly aiming for a time) but I would be happy days if I came in around then!

Yaaaay for tapering!

Just thought I'd throw this up here and see if there is any interest. I'll be working the next 2 Saturdays but will be off both Sundays. I will be doing my last 'long run' of 8 miles on Sunday 21st. I'd love to meet any of ye that could tie in with that. It'd also be a chance for more of you to meet each other. Maybe start from the visitor centre in the Phoenix Park before returning there for a coffee and cake! Remember that on an 8 mile run there won't be a huge amount between people running at different easy paces. I'll leave it with ye....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Congrats to all of you on your long runs this weekend! Can you believe you have finally gotten to this point? Try not to go too mad during taper time. You want to stay as healthy as you can so watch the nutrition and sleep. Remember you are doing less miles but the appetite will still be there!! Enjoy having some extra time to yourselves!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Congrats to all of you on your long runs this weekend! Can you believe you have finally gotten to this point? Try not to go too mad during taper time. You want to stay as healthy as you can so watch the nutrition and sleep. Remember you are doing less miles but the appetite will still be there!! Enjoy having some extra time to yourselves!

Thanks kellygirl- I can only speak for myself, but I really never comprehended how tough training for a marathon would be- it’s all consuming- wouldn’t change a thing over the last number of months mind you.

I think we all deserve a clap on the back to get to the “end” of the hard training.

And thanks for all the mentors advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Just thought I'd throw this up here and see if there is any interest. I'll be working the next 2 Saturdays but will be off both Sundays. I will be doing my last 'long run' of 8 miles on Sunday 21st. I'd love to meet any of ye that could tie in with that. It'd also be a chance for more of you to meet each other. Maybe start from the visitor centre in the Phoenix Park before returning there for a coffee and cake! Remember that on an 8 mile run there won't be a huge amount between people running at different easy paces. I'll leave it with ye....

Sounds good to me. I'd be on for that. Will never turn down a chance to eat cake and tea while nerding about running.

Sounds good to me. I'd be on for that. Will never turn down a chance to eat cake and tea while nerding about running.

Well that makes 2 of us. I know a lot have been doing their runs on Saturdays but this wouldn't hurt. A 9ish start is what I was thinking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Week 16 and week 1 of a 3 week taper, 20 days til you guys become marathon runners! Congratulations on getting this far - take a moment before you read any further and give yourselves a slap on the back - you deserve it :)

This is the week ahead, you will notice its a gradual drop in miles over the next 3 weeks, you will still have the same structure to your week just less miles.

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun
    NNH1|rest|5m easy|8m easy|4m easy|rest|12m LSR|cross
    Boards|rest, cross or 3m rec|5m easy|5m easy|5m easy|rest, cross or 3m rec|14m LSR|3m rec

I'm sure you've all heard the term - taper madness?! Let me tell you it's a real thing! Over the next 3 weeks you can expect to feel all sorts of phantom pain and mental doubts! This will probably set in even more in week 2 when your body goes into withdrawal from the miles you are used to running! The most important thing is to ignore any doubts you may have, the work is done and there is nothing to be gained from cramming in any extra miles or runs now. The next 3 weeks is your chance to do everything you can to help your marathon quest and this includes running less & less miles as the weeks progress.

REST - the primary focus of the taper is to minimise accumulated fatigue. Anyone doing strength training or other intensive forms of cross training should consider skipping or cutting back on these also.

RE-FUEL - restore your body's glycogen fuel store which has just been topped up over the last 15 weeks and not actually restored. This is not a license to eat junk either (unfortunately :p), add healthy food and not empty calories. We'll talk more coming into the last week about carb loading & so on.

For anyone with niggles at this stage, please try and get them seen too over the next week. If anyone is already seeing a physio then please take their advice - even if that means no running at all for the next 3 weeks! Throw the plan out and do what you're told ;)

You will find you have a bit more time on your hands, to distract yourself from worrying about the task ahead you could spend time studying the route or watching clips from previous years on YouTube!

Now, i have to go and read all the reports from the weekend - if Strava is anything to go by there were super performances all round :)

Happy running one and all - please do share your taper 'moments' :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Best of luck to everyone on the taper. Enjoy the madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Clibee

Well done everyone on the great runs.

Just updating my spreadsheet (sad I know) and I've ran 500 miles in the last 14 weeks since the plan began :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

kittyclaws wrote: »
    Just updating my spreadsheet (sad I know) and I've ran 500 miles in the last 14 weeks since the plan began :eek:
    Spreadsheets are not sad, they're cool*!
    That's class, well done!

*what I tell myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

A bit of advice if anyone has any similar experience in the past. It's not an injury just an irritation.

When I'm running long distance on roads I get an awful burning sensation in the ball of my right foot under my big toe. Left foot is grand. It's like the sock has gathered... But it hasn't. I don't end up with a blister. Just a bit of tenderness. It happened last year in the half in my asics and it happened again today in my saucony. I was wearing 1000 mile socks. It hurts so do much that I have to change the fall of my foot onto the flat outside of my foot and not my toes like I normally run.

I know injuries aren't to be discussed as we're not medical professionals but it's more an irritation and wondering if there's away of rectifying it.

Helenasca correct me if i'm wrong but i think you did the 31k in Galway Bay? And maybe the half you mention was also Galway Bay? I'd say the concrete prom is particularly hard on the feet. If this is first/only run it has happened on this year then hopefully it is not something to worry about and it's just a case of avoiding the prom or at least not doing all of your run on it? I hope it settles down soon but take an extra couple of rest days if you need them.

Advertisement