Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Just thought I'd throw this up here and see if there is any interest. I'll be working the next 2 Saturdays but will be off both Sundays. I will be doing my last 'long run' of 8 miles on Sunday 21st. I'd love to meet any of ye that could tie in with that. It'd also be a chance for more of you to meet each other. Maybe start from the visitor centre in the Phoenix Park before returning there for a coffee and cake! Remember that on an 8 mile run there won't be a huge amount between people running at different easy paces. I'll leave it with ye....
    You had me at tea

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Fair play to any Novices running/racing/LSRing in that wind yesterday, great race reports, you will all be fine come DCM day!!

I was blown down the Naas Road to Suir Bridge and then did a 180 turn and ran into a stiff breeze back up to Kingswood, very tough running conditions indeed. I was a little bit bold on Saturday night at a friends 50th birthday and indulged in a few pints and thought that I would pay for that during my run yesterday, ironically I did my fastest ever HM time as the alcohol coursed though my veins :)....go figure......I was wrecked for about an hour afterwards and crashed on the couch for a while.

I am now contemplating switching from electrolyte drinks to Carlsberg for the DCM :eek:

TAPER TIME.....yeehaww.....well done Novices we are on the home straight now.

Also,The Walking Dead starts back tonight, Z Nation tomorrow night.........life is good at the moment.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Just thought I'd throw this up here and see if there is any interest. I'll be working the next 2 Saturdays but will be off both Sundays. I will be doing my last 'long run' of 8 miles on Sunday 21st. I'd love to meet any of ye that could tie in with that. It'd also be a chance for more of you to meet each other. Maybe start from the visitor centre in the Phoenix Park before returning there for a coffee and cake! Remember that on an 8 mile run there won't be a huge amount between people running at different easy paces. I'll leave it with ye....

Mmmn, slow 8 miles does not equal a lot of cake, but I'm up for a fair share!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

smashiner wrote: »
    I am now contemplating switching from electrolyte drinks to Carlsberg for the DCM :eek:

Remember don't do anything different on the day, but maybe try it in a training run and let us know how you get on?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Also,The Walking Dead starts back tonight

How apt......:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

My "ramp up" to your taper, but I'd like to tag along - at least for the cake; you'll all leave me in your dust ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

Hi all,

I hit a bit of a snag last week. My achilles has started acting up for the first time ever. I did a 28k run last wednesday and then on Friday evening into saturday i started getting sharp pains in my achilles.

Anyone had any experience with this? What worked for you and what was your recovery timelines?

Hoping to get in to see a physio today or tomorrow. Does anyone know any good sports/running physios in the Milltown/Dundrum area?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hi all,

I hit a bit of a snag last week. My achilles has started acting up for the first time ever. I did a 28k run last wednesday and then on Friday evening into saturday i started getting sharp pains in my achilles.

Anyone had any experience with this? What worked for you and what was your recovery timelines?

Hoping to get in to see a physio today or tomorrow. Does anyone know any good sports/running physios in the Milltown/Dundrum area?

Hi imknackered,
    I have just recovered from a nagging Achilles pain/strain and it took me 6+ months to fully shake it before I realised that resting it did absolutely no good (for me anyway). I got rid of mine by gently stretching it 3 times a day (1-2 minutes each time) off the end of a step/stairs, plus a good bit of foam rollering of my calves as they were tight and part of the problem. I continued to train on grass (short cut) and backed off on the pace a little until it started to show signs of improvement.

As you are planning, a visit to a good physio is totally the right thing to do with this kind of injury, as it can be a tricky one to shake if it gets a hold. I don't know any physios in your area but I would recommend 'First Physio' in Clondalkin as they are very practical (a lot of them run/swim/bike) so they know what they are talking about.

Best of luck with it...hopefully you catch it early enough and get it sorted ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Count me in too! Great idea.
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Spreadsheets are not sad, they're cool*!
    That's class, well done!

*what I tell myself
    Spreadsheets are practically the reason I run! It's allll for the satisfaction of ticking off that chart day by day... :D
    Hi all,

No advice at all imknackered but really sorry to hear this and hope a physio can sort you out and get you straight back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Hi all,

Pm'd you details of one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

Got through my 22 mile run yesterday morning before the wind really picked up in the west. Felt surprisingly good throughout. Can’t believe how light the legs feel this morning compared to the 20 miler two weeks ago. I’m beginning to believe!!

Hi imknackered,
    I have just recovered from a nagging Achilles pain/strain and it took me 6+ months to fully shake it before I realised that resting it did absolutely no good (for me anyway). I got rid of mine by gently stretching it 3 times a day (1-2 minutes each time) off the end of a step/stairs, plus a good bit of foam rollering of my calves as they were tight and part of the problem. I continued to train on grass (short cut) and backed off on the pace a little until it started to show signs of improvement.

As you are planning, a visit to a good physio is totally the right thing to do with this kind of injury, as it can be a tricky one to shake if it gets a hold. I don't know any physios in your area but I would recommend 'First Physio' in Clondalkin as they are very practical (a lot of them run/swim/bike) so they know what they are talking about.

Best of luck with it...hopefully you catch it early enough and get it sorted ;).

thanks Smashiner, i've been icing stretching & foam rolling the last two nights and i do get some relief after icing for a bit.

My plan for the next two weeks has probably gone out the window now but if i could keep up any kind of running for the next couple of weeks while i do the repair work i would feel much more confident going into dcm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

thanks Smashiner, i've been icing stretching & foam rolling the last two nights and i do get some relief after icing for a bit.

My plan for the next two weeks has probably gone out the window now but if i could keep up any kind of running for the next couple of weeks while i do the repair work i would feel much more confident going into dcm

Honestly don't worry about running for the next 3 weeks, you have the training done. It's more important to heal now and the best way to do that is to rest and do exactly what the physio tells you in terms of exercises, icing etc. Getting to the start line is the main thing now for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭MY BAD

ariana` wrote: »
    Honestly don't worry about running for the next 3 weeks, you have the training done. It's more important to heal now and the best way to do that is to rest and do exactly what the physio tells you in terms of exercises, icing etc. Getting to the start line is the main thing now for everyone.
    I wouldn't have getting to the start line as a main goal. Surely avoiding a serious injury that could affect someone's medium to long term goals should override any decision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

I wouldn't have getting to the start line as a main goal. Surely avoiding a serious injury that could affect someone's medium to long term goals should override any decision?

Of course! The point i was attempting to make (poorly obviously) is that getting well now is more important then doing any more running or specific training for DCM - i'm not suggesting anyone run a marathon in an injured state :eek:

Very true Ariana....We are all susceptible to Taper Madness eh!!!

For sure I want to be 100% (or as close as possible) at the start line

message received :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

Commitment to the cause - taking the day off work after a weekend away purely to ensure that there that the long run was done! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

That goes without saying surely. No need for a bit of a cheap shot.??? Maybe not meant that way, and apologies if so, but that's how I read your comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

racersedge wrote: »
    Commitment to the cause - taking the day off work after a weekend away purely to ensure that there that the long run was done! :D

Love it! I'm taking the Friday before the marathon off work to go to the Expo so I don't have to walk anywhere on Saturday!

Of course! The point i was attempting to make (poorly obviously) is that getting well now is more important then doing any more running or specific training for DCM - i'm not suggesting anyone run a marathon in an injured state :eek:

Ah yeah my bad. I know how focused people training for a marathon can become after 18 weeks training that sometimes they don't see the bigger picture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Rossi7 wrote: »
    You had me at tea
    juke wrote: »
    Mmmn, slow 8 miles does not equal a lot of cake, but I'm up for a fair share!
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    My "ramp up" to your taper, but I'd like to tag along - at least for the cake; you'll all leave me in your dust ;)
    eyrie wrote: »
    Count me in too! Great idea.

Ah that's great....the more the merrier! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Get to physio and see what they advise a few days or weeks rest now while it is in the acute stage will really help it settle, Physio can advise on a treatment plan like taping it and exercises, I had to use a heel lift in my runners ( I am only coming back from my Achilles injury it started in March ) check your runners heel lift I was wearing Hokas and it was very low and it set me back I took 6 weeks off and only cross-trained and S&C. I had to come back very slowly I returned to running this time I started at 5 mins building very slowly on that. as Smashiner already said be very careful do not let it get a hold.
    Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Hey y’all does anyone know if I can get my boyfriend who is going to the expo to collect my number when he’s getting his own. I will not have a lot of free time to collect myself and this would make my life a hell of a lot easier? He’s scaring me thinking I have to go in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭28064212

julie2tubz wrote: »
    Hey y’all does anyone know if I can get my boyfriend who is going to the expo to collect my number when he’s getting his own. I will not have a lot of free time to collect myself and this would make my life a hell of a lot easier? He’s scaring me thinking I have to go in person.
    http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/rules-and-regulations/
    You must show photo ID to receive your Marathon race number and timing chip at the Expo

You must pick up your Marathon race packet and Marathon race number, in person, at the Expo

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »

Thanks a mill. That’s not ideal :((((

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

julie2tubz wrote: »
    Thanks a mill. That’s not ideal :((((

I’m sure it can be done. I think you just give the person collecting a signed copy of your ID. You could ring them to ask to be totally sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I’m sure it can be done. I think you just give the person collecting a signed copy of your ID. You could ring them to ask to be totally sure.

It was the case last year that someone else was allowed to collect a number once they had confirmation slip and signed letter.

They even suggested it on Twitter.

Djoucer wrote: »
    It was the case last year that someone else was allowed to collect a number once they had confirmation slip and signed letter.

They even suggested it on Twitter.

Ohhh great thanks djoucer and kellygirl. That is a great relief :)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Flagrant breaking of the curfew last night.......30 second penalty to your marathon time.

• Advertisement

Sorry I didnt see this message.
    Sheep1978 wrote: »
    That goes without saying surely.
    Not necessarily. I've previously wrestled with the decision to run it not at 100%, thankfully I didn't. I've seen a club mate in the same position who ran it not 100% and had such a bad experience they have given up running.
    Sheep1978 wrote: »
    No need for a bit of a cheap shot.??? Maybe not meant that way, and apologies if so, but that's how I read your comment
    Genuinely not. I can see looking back how it read that way and if so my apologies to ariana.

Advertisement