Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

I collected peoples numbers last year. I think a signed letter and a copy of their passport is what I had with me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Question (possibly a stupid one): should we be making a general check up/rub down trip to the physio between now and race day? I've seen a few people mention planning to do this but I'm not sure if it's just in the case of niggles or if it's generally the done thing anyway. Basically I'm clueless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

eyrie wrote: »
    Question (possibly a stupid one): should we be making a general check up/rub down trip to the physio between now and race day? I've seen a few people mention planning to do this but I'm not sure if it's just in the case of niggles or if it's generally the done thing anyway. Basically I'm clueless!

Not essential unless it’s something you feel you need or there’s a niggle. It’s not something you have to do and you seem to be in ship shape?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Not essential unless it’s something you feel you need or there’s a niggle. It’s not something you have to do and you seem to be in ship shape?

This has been playing on my mind too. No niggles to report thankfully but wasn't sure if it was something that should be done regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hi eyrie. A pre-marathon deep massage is a great way to loosen up your muscles. Ensure it's at least 5-7 days before the marathon especially if it's not something you're used to. A deep massage can have a similar effect to a hard workout leading to heavy achy legs or tenderness where some tight spots may have been rubbed out very deeply. It's not essential by any means but certainly not any harm either. You don't have to go to a Physio, you could go to a PT (Physical Therapist) or for a Sports Massage, in my experience you tend to get more bang for your buck with either of these options. If you have niggles then a Physio or PT would be the better options.

• Advertisement

Thanks! Yep I think I'm good, just didn't want to miss doing something that we should all be doing because I wasn't paying attention to that lesson or something :rolleyes:
    coogy wrote: »
    This has been playing on my mind too. No niggles to report thankfully but wasn't sure if it was something that should be done regardless.
    Yep, that's exactly what I was wondering. But then I'd feel like an eejit walking into the physio going "I'm grand, not really sure why I'm here, but I'm running a marathon soon..." :pac:
    I've heard a lot of people say it's worth getting a sports massage regardless, but I went for one last week and honestly didn't feel any different at all for it, so I don't think it was necessary.

ariana` wrote: »
    Hi eyrie. A pre-marathon deep massage is a great way to loosen up your muscles. Ensure it's at least 5-7 days before the marathon especially if it's not something you're used to. A deep massage can have a similar effect to a hard workout leading to heavy achy legs or tenderness where some tight spots may have been rubbed out very deeply. It's not essential by any means but certainly not any harm either. You don't have to go to a Physio, you could go to a PT (Physical Therapist) or for a Sports Massage, in my experience you tend to get more bang for your buck with either of these options. If you have niggles then a Physio or PT would be the better options.
    Thanks ariana! I had just posted my last response before I saw your post. I was just wondering if there's any other need to go to a physio specifcally, apart from for a massage. But seems like maybe not from what you and K are saying!

Thanks! Yep I think I'm good, just didn't want to miss doing something that we should all be doing because I wasn't paying attention to that lesson or something :rolleyes:

Yep, that's exactly what I was wondering. But then I'd feel like an eejit walking into the physio going "I'm grand, not really sure why I'm here, but I'm running a marathon soon..." :pac:
    I've heard a lot of people say it's worth getting a sports massage regardless, but I went for one last week and honestly didn't feel any different at all for it, so I don't think it was necessary.
    Thanks ariana! I had just posted my last response before I saw your post. I was just wondering if there's any other need to go to a physio specifcally, apart from for a massage. But seems like maybe not from what you and K are saying!

No need to feel like an eejit if you did decide to go - they'd be well used to someone making an appointment for a rub down before an event.

But you're absolutely right, there's no need to go for one especially if you didn't feel any benefit from the last one! You're obviously in great shape which is super at this end of the training and bodes really well for your post marathon recovery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

No need to feel like an eejit if you did decide to go - they'd be well used to someone making an appointment for a rub down before an event.

But you're absolutely right, there's no need to go for one especially if you didn't feel any benefit from the last one! You're obviously in great shape which is super at this end of the training and bodes really well for your post marathon recovery too.

I am like an 'S Hook' after weeks of hammering the auld body on the mean streets of Dublin.....I am off to the physio to get the creases ironed out on Thursday. I had a feeling that I would be somewhat wrecked after my LSR programme and I scheduled this session a few weeks ago.....I need the physio to tell me 'that I am ok' before the DCM (mind games)......each to their own :D

I will probably go for another session a few days or a week after the DCM as I normally end up running like a crab for a few weeks afterwards too.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

My physio has a massage service also, 50 euro for 30 minutes. You might get cheaper with some sports therapists or physical therapists, but I still stick to the industry protected name of Chartered Physiotherapist. Some of the qualifications of the others are debatable.
    Saying that, I am sure there are sports therapists, etc who are great also.

Maybe I'll call into a place around Capel Street for a deep massage!!! :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

My physio has a massage service also, 50 euro for 30 minutes. You might get cheaper with some sports therapists or physical therapists, but I still stick to the industry protected name of Chartered Physiotherapist. Some of the qualifications of the others are debatable.
    Saying that, I am sure there are sports therapists, etc who are great also.

Maybe I'll call into a place around Capel Street for a deep massage!!! :):)

Haha you’re spoilt for choice around there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Now that we're in taper land, should all runs be easy, or should there still be a hard day this week and next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

Now that we're in taper land, should all runs be easy, or should there still be a hard day this week and next?
    Next Thursday has 6 x 100 strides tagged on the end of 4m easy and the following Wednesday is a 3m pace with 1m WU & CD either side of it. Rest of the runs are all easy

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Next Thursday has 6 x 100 strides tagged on the end of 4m easy and the following Wednesday is a 3m pace with 1m WU & CD either side of it. Rest of the runs are all easy

Stick with whats on the plan. Generally the volume reduces gradually over the 3 week taper but there will still be some intensity similar to what you've been doing.

I can't figure out the fuelling advice and what to do for the marathon. From looking at the various calculators about how much you need to take on, it seems to equate to 2-3 gels per hour (something like 45-60g carbs per hour?) which I can't imagine getting close to, and it seems like no one really does. So do you make it up with other things too (lucozade, etc), or do people just generally take on way less carbs than that recommendation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I can't figure out the fuelling advice and what to do for the marathon. From looking at the various calculators about how much you need to take on, it seems to equate to 2-3 gels per hour (something like 45-60g carbs per hour?) which I can't imagine getting close to, and it seems like no one really does. So do you make it up with other things too (lucozade, etc), or do people just generally take on way less carbs than that recommendation?

Remember though that you will have already carb loaded so it’s topping up that you need to be doing. It’s hard to tell somebody exactly what they need and everybody is different too. Remember you did that impromptu 20 miler and prob weren’t carb loaded or fueling the whole way round? How was that? May give some guideline? I personally go somewhere between every 30-45 mins myself but others just do 4 gels over a marathon.

I'd do whatever has been working for you the past few weeks on your LSR's, I plan on using 4-5 gels and a couple of cliff blocks purely to stave off hunger ( mentally works for me, probably does nothing ) as it what's worked for me throughout the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I hear you. I can't imagine myself carrying more than 4 gels, would be very off-putting to have more in the belt.

I know you took 2 gels last weekend for a 20 miler, is that the most you took on any of your long runs? I remember you did a 20 miler about 4-5 weeks ago with a few chunks of MP miles thrown in - did you take any more that day out of interest? I'd probably recommend you find a middle ground and aim for maybe 1 every 45-50 minutes or so? I think 4 is most likely as much as you will need 45 mins, 1:30, 2:15 & 3:00 roughly - how does that sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'd do whatever has been working for you the past few weeks on your LSR's, I plan on using 4-5 gels and a couple of cliff blocks purely to stave off hunger ( mentally works for me, probably does nothing ) as it what's worked for me throughout the training.

Yeah, I'm similar. 4, maybe 5 gels, and I'll also have a small supply of jelly beans.

• Advertisement

I've taken 3 energy gels during Longwood at the weekend, I couldn't imagine me taking any more than that without them having a very negative effect and either a bathroom break or seeing it again!!

What I've done a lot during my training is had a banana at 8 miles say, I find them great and they are a slow release of energy. I will probably ask a few people who I know will be out cheering me on to have things like bananas, jellies, MiWadi (my own personal vice, much easier to stomach than water I find), etc to give me. I know I am relying on them being there and seeing me, and me seeing them!!

But don't forget also there will be people there with stuff to give runners. The generosity of ordinary people around the course is incredible. Almost like an adult version of trick or treating! :)

Remember though that you will have already carb loaded so it’s topping up that you need to be doing. It’s hard to tell somebody exactly what they need and everybody is different too. Remember you did that impromptu 20 miler and prob weren’t carb loaded or fueling the whole way round? How was that? May give some guideline? I personally go somewhere between every 30-45 mins myself but others just do 4 gels over a marathon.
    I know you took 2 gels last weekend for a 20 miler, is that the most you took on any of your long runs? I remember you did a 20 miler about 4-5 weeks ago with a few chunks of MP miles thrown in - did you take any more that day out of interest? I'd probably recommend you find a middle ground and aim for maybe 1 every 45-50 minutes or so? I think 4 is most likely as much as you will need 45 mins, 1:30, 2:15 & 3:00 roughly - how does that sound?
    Thanks you too. The first 20 miler (with some MP miles) I bought a packet of fruit pastilles and that was my fuel! :o Not a strategy I plan to use in the race... Mind you it worked!

For the last one I did try out 2 gels just to practice and make sure I could stomach them, can't say I wanted them but they did no harm. I guess doing the whole thing at race pace creates a different demand though. I'm just puzzled as to why the advice seems to be that you need so many grams per hour, but from what I can tell nobody takes that much!

4 sounds manageable, so that's probably what I'll plan for. Thanks!
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    I hear you. I can't imagine myself carrying more than 4 gels, would be very off-putting to have more in the belt.
    Oh god I hadn't even thought about the logistics of carrying them! Head firmly in the sand over here...

Oh god I hadn't even thought about the logistics of carrying them! Head firmly in the sand over here...

If you have an iPhone arm strap, use it for them. That's what I'll be doing. Comfortably holds 4-5 energy gels. Depending on how much you trust your support crew, you could ask them to have some for you.

Even though I've used my music during the training, I will be soaking up the atmosphere on the day, knowing that the good folk of Dublin will drive me on more than any music.

"Oh god I hadn't even thought about the logistics of carrying them! Head firmly in the sand over here..."

You can buy belts in the likes of Run Hub etc or even in cycling shops, no more than €25 I've seen them for. 

"Oh god I hadn't even thought about the logistics of carrying them! Head firmly in the sand over here..."

You can buy belts in the likes of Run Hub etc or even in cycling shops, no more than €25 I've seen them for. 

Thanks Rossi, I have a flipbelt that I use actually, I just meant I've never tried to figure out how many gels can fit into it. Usually I have my phone and keys in there so it's bulky enough already, but I guess I won't need them during the race :p Must buy a few gels and test it out. I can always get an extra armband or something as incentsitive suggests if necessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Eoineo

For slow runners like me who carry a drinks bottle (or two) on their belt. I recommend decanting your gels into a bottle and possibly diluting a little with water if you find they are difficult to drink. There's no messing around with opening gel packs on the day and resulting sticky fingers. Also no rubbish to discard or carry for a rubbish bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

My fuelling plan last year which worked well was a gel every 30 mins, plus one just before the gun.

I ran with 7 of them I think and it was zero hassle.

There's a danger of over thinking this and adding unnecessary stress.

Throw a couple of water wipes into the belt too in case you get sticky fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Lazare wrote: »
    My fuelling plan last year which worked well was a gel every 30 mins, plus one just before the gun.

I ran with 7 of them I think and it was zero hassle.

There's a danger of over thinking this and adding unnecessary stress.

Throw a couple of water wipes into the belt too in case you get sticky fingers.

Would you have taken that many in training? Max I've taken is 4 on my 20 milers. I'm not sure increasing that by too much is something I want to do if I haven't practised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Would you have taken that many in training? Max I've taken is 4 on my 20 milers. I'm not sure increasing that by too much is something I want to do if I haven't practised.

No, probably the most I took during training was 3, maybe 4, but once I knew they didn't upset my stomach I was happy to consume that many.

You're naturally going to need to consume more than you ever have anyway.

Advertisement