Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'm thinking of not heading out with any pacers and just running my own race.
    Any advice?

Have a clear picture in your head of what you want to do and be prepared to listen to your body. What sort of plan are you thinking of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Any advice?

Nothing wrong with running your own race. Do you plan to wear a pace band? You know you can pick them up at the Expo for free - but i believe these show even splits for the 26.2. You can make your own, or buy them customised to the elevation of the course you'll be doing.

I ran my own race last year and didn't wear a pace band either. I knew the average pace i wanted, i started slower, stayed slower til half-way and then gradually worked towards it and passed it - not very scientific :pac: but it worked for me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Have a clear picture in your head of what you want to do and be prepared to listen to your body. What sort of plan are you thinking of?

I would love to come in around 4:30:00 but I'm also realistic. My HM was 2:14:00 so I probably won't get my time.
    So plan A is to start out conservatively, up the pace a little after Castleknock, up it again a little after Walkinstown roundabout and if I'm feeling strong and have fueled properly, then hopefully come home on time or just a little after.
    Plan B is like plan A but if I'm dying a death, just to slow up, take in the atmosphere and simply enjoy the race. There will be other marathons I hope, to chase times.

ariana` wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with running your own race. Do you plan to wear a pace band? You know you can pick them up at the Expo for free - but i believe these show even splits for the 26.2. You can make your own, or buy them customised to the elevation of the course you'll be doing.

I ran my own race last year and didn't wear a pace band either. I knew the average pace i wanted, i started slower, stayed slower til half-way and then gradually worked towards it and passed it - not very scientific :pac: but it worked for me :o

Yes I was thinking of a pace band.
    Don't get me wrong, the idea of running in a group with a pacer sounds great but I missed the pacers I wanted at the HM so I don't want the same to happen at DCM.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of running in a group with a pacer sounds great but I missed the pacers I wanted at the HM so I don't want the same to happen at DCM.

It's nearly impossible to miss the pacers at DCM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Any advice?

I imagine there's a lot to be said for both.

My only experience of running with a pacer was a very positive one but I did not rely on them too heavily as it was only a 10 mile race and ended up breaking away from the group by mile 7 or 8.

For the marathon, my intention is not to necessarily run shoulder to shoulder with the pacer, but to at least keep them in my sights for as long as I feel is necessary and use them as a guide, all being well! :)

It's nearly impossible to miss the pacers at DCM.

It's impossible to miss them but from my experience it is possible to lose them very early in the race :o I'd advise anyone who plans to run with a pace group to have a back up plan, at least know the average pace you plan to run and keeping an eye on the watch be prepared to run slower on the hillier sections and a bit quicker on the downhills.

coogy wrote: »
    I imagine there's a lot to be said for both.

My only experience of running with a pacer was a very positive one but I did not rely on them too heavily as it was only a 10 mile race and ended up breaking away from the group by mile 7 or 8.

For the marathon, my intention is not to necessarily run shoulder to shoulder with the pacer, but to at least keep them in my sights for as long as I feel is necessary and use them as a guide, all being well! :)

Yeah I ran with a pacer once too. It was a good experience, I broke away few miles before the end and got a time I was happy with.

ariana` wrote: »
    It's impossible to miss them but from my experience it is possible to lose them very early in the race :o I'd advise anyone who plans to run with a pace group to have a back up plan, at least know the average pace you plan to run and be prepared to run slower on the hillier sections and a bit quicker on the downhills.

Yes, this!!!! I'd hate to have a poor start and watch them bob on ahead in the distance taunting me with their giant balloons!
    I figure I've done all my lsr's alone, I know what I can do once I don't start too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Kellygirl wrote: »

Maybe go read our race reports from our thread last year though.

+1 to this!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

The most annoying thing about running with the pacers is the amount of other people doing the same if you ask me! Even in Longwood, while admittedly a much smaller road and number of people, was bloody annoying at times the amount of people.

I'm targeting 4 hrs (might be a bit slower realistically) and thinking of going ahead at the end of the 2nd wave, just working with my own pace on my Garmin. Less crowded that way, and 15 minutes less standing around.

But then again, if something goes wrong with it, etc I haven't a clue where I am at, which is the other benefit of a pacer.

The most annoying thing about running with the pacers is the amount of other people doing the same if you ask me! Even in Longwood, while admittedly a much smaller road and number of people, was bloody annoying at times the amount of people.

I'm targeting 4 hrs (might be a bit slower realistically) and thinking of going ahead at the end of the 2nd wave, just working with my own pace on my Garmin. Less crowded that way, and 15 minutes less standing around.

But then again, if something goes wrong with it, etc I haven't a clue where I am at, which is the other benefit of a pacer.

Psychologically i think it might be better to be behind them? If you start ahead of them and they pass you it could be very disheartening. If you start a few mins after them and they're ahead of you then you've a target for the whole race, you won't need to pass them to get sub 4 as you started after them but if you do pass them then think how amazing you'd feel. Just my thoughts on it...

That 15 mins waiting around won't seem long on the day, the time flies just taking it all in and doing the last few bits in preparation for the start - queuing for the toilet etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

hope the weather on the day nothing like what we are currently having :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I would love to come in around 4:30:00 but I'm also realistic. My HM was 2:14:00 so I probably won't get my time.
    So plan A is to start out conservatively, up the pace a little after Castleknock, up it again a little after Walkinstown roundabout and if I'm feeling strong and have fueled properly, then hopefully come home on time or just a little after.
    Plan B is like plan A but if I'm dying a death, just to slow up, take in the atmosphere and simply enjoy the race. There will be other marathons I hope, to chase times.

My HM time is similar. I have successfully ignored thinking about strategy so far. I've no idea what I'll do. I like the idea of following a pacer, to take away the 'thinking' element, but hate the idea of congestion. I've only followed a pacer once, for a 5 mile before.

A 'just start at the back and see what happens' approach probably isn't a plan!

juke wrote: »
    My HM time is similar. I have successfully ignored thinking about strategy so far. I've no idea what I'll do. I like the idea of following a pacer, to take away the 'thinking' element, but hate the idea of congestion. I've only followed a pacer once, for a 5 mile before.

A 'just start at the back and see what happens' approach probably isn't a plan!

Have you a goal time for dcm juke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Have you a goal time for dcm juke?

Trying not to think about it, if I'm honest, except that I really don't want to be out there more than 5 hours. 4.30 would be out of reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Emmm what's a pace band?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Helenasca wrote: »
    Emmm what's a pace band?

http://findmymarathon.com/pacebandresult.php?race=Dublin%20Marathon

Something like the above. I plan on doing up a homemade one over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Aoifemcc19

I wouldn't worry about whether you could have done more. Leave that for future marathons :D None of your friends will care whether you do 4:28, 38, 48 or 58.

I did a 7 minute negative split last year so probably could have done more. ariana ran it after 3 weeks of not running due to injury so could have done more. Kellygirl took in the atmosphere in a display of showboating never seen before in DCM :pac: She could definitely have done more! Did it matter a jot? No! Not even the smallest little bit. Regrets that we could have gone faster? Not one! We all had one of the most memorable days of our lives...let yourself do the same.

Love this advice, you're so right, its same medal whether we do it in 4.00 or 4.45! Right going to stop over thinking times now and just soak up the atmosphere!! I have a pace plan to get me to 4.45ish so will just stick with that!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Aoifemcc19

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    http://findmymarathon.com/pacebandresult.php?race=Dublin%20Marathon

Something like the above. I plan on doing up a homemade one over the weekend.

This is great!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Any advice?

Go for it. I've never ran with pacers, I would far rather run my own race than try and match what somebody else is doing. And I would rather cut my nuts off than get involved in those huge groups of people cluttered around the pacers on race day.

I was given a Garmin watch as a present years ago and today its still all I need to pace myself. You should know on the day itself what your goal is so just settle into a rhythm, check your pace every so often and either pick it up or slow down accordingly.

I've heard people say they go with pacers so they don't have to waste energy thinking about pace, and I have to say I don't really get it, what is there to think about? You're either going too fast or too slow, and you're running so you can't do much else at the same time except think, so just think about your pace. :D

Everybody is different of course and there is not a thing wrong with using pacers, but for myself I would be disappointed if I needed them, I kinda feel like having the discipline to stick to the plan is part of the whole marathon challenge, so I'd take a little pride in doing that side of things myself. Maybe it would be different if I was a quicker runner and was pushing for those more impressive finishing times.

juke wrote: »
    Trying not to think about it, if I'm honest, except that I really don't want to be out there more than 5 hours. 4.30 would be out of reach.

It is for me too tbh but I want to be ambitious. I want to do my best and challenge myself. Whatever I miss my time by, I'll work hard the next time to beat that again.

Go for it. I've never ran with pacers, I would far rather run my own race than try and match what somebody else is doing. And I would rather cut my nuts off than get involved in those huge groups of people cluttered around the pacers on race day.

I was given a Garmin watch as a present years ago and today its still all I need to pace myself. You should know on the day itself what your goal is so just settle into a rhythm, check your pace every so often and either pick it up or slow down accordingly.

I've heard people say they go with pacers so they don't have to waste energy thinking about pace, and I have to say I don't really get it, what is there to think about? You're either going too fast or too slow, and you're running so you can't do much else at the same time except think, so just think about your pace. :D

Everybody is different of course and there is not a thing wrong with using pacers, but for myself I would be disappointed if I needed them, I kinda feel like having the discipline to stick to the plan is part of the whole marathon challenge, so I'd take a little pride in doing that side of things myself. Maybe it would be different if I was a quicker runner and was pushing for those more impressive finishing times.

Thanks for the reply. I have to agree with you.

When the going gets tough, it will only be myself who can get me through it.

As others have pointed out there's pros and cons to following a pacer at DCM but I'm definitely leaning towards going it alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

This is the site I got my paceband from last year. It’s similar to the other one but there are a few more options to choose in terms of pacing and also produces a map to give to your supporters so they know where to expect you assuming you stick to your plan. There’s tracking too anyway. It’s about €6 to download the licensed spreadsheet but course specific and worth every penny.

http://mymarathonpace.com/Pacing_Spreadsheets.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

As others have pointed out there's pros and cons to following a pacer at DCM but I'm definitely leaning towards going it alone.

I wouldn't like to understate the pros, if thousands of people take value from using them then who am I to say they are wrong.

But if you feel you would prefer to do your own thing I just think thats a valid choice too, and I think some people would take more satisfaction and enjoyment from running their own race as opposed to running a group effort.

Eoineo wrote: »
    I'm kind of expert in this as I'm consistently too slow for pacers at any time. You do need to be very comfortable at your MP so that you can judge whether or not you're heading too fast out of the traps or not pushing yourself hard enough at other stages. Music helps but you might find a metronome is good at that. There are so many people there you'll probably find yourself couple of other runners at your pace and use this to motivate yourself onwards.

Thanks. I'm banking on DCM living up to its reputation as a negative split marathon. Without that, I reckon I'd be toast!

Thanks. I'm banking on DCM living up to its reputation as a negative split marathon. Without that, I reckon I'd be toast!

It is most definitely a negative split course. Make sure to save enough energy to take advantage of it. Lots of people end up walking the easier half of the course because they bite off more than they can chew on the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

smashiner wrote: »
    This is the effects of normal taper madness....take two gels, a pint of water with electrolyte tablets and lie down in a dark room until it passes :)

It is normal for people to start second-guessing their target times around this time, have I done enough running?, if I go out too fast will I blow up? etc. My advice would be to go with 'what ever makes you comfortable', a simple tip on Boards is to take your HM time, double it and add 20-25 minutes and that will be a good indication of where you should be.

Also, aim for a negative split as the DCM course is set up for this as the first half is definitely a bit harder. See how you feel after 20K and then 30K and finish a bit stronger if you feel that you have a bit left to give after Roebuck road, as it is pretty much downhill/level from that point on.

The most important thing is that you enjoy your 'debut DCM', finishing times are really irrelevant versus the feeling of the crowds cheering you on as you cross that line to that shiny medal. Due to your training program (and this thread :P), you will be one of the best prepared people in your wave so don't overthink it and enjoy the day.....you've got this!!
    I found the second half Harder you have the hill by Milltown then heartbreak hill and a hill up the N11 slip!

ted1 wrote: »
    I found the second half Harder you have the hill by Milltown then heartbreak hill and a hill up the N11 slip!

Was it harder for you or considerably slower? It will be harder for most but that doesn't mean it can't be the faster half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

The 4 hour pacer at Longwood advised us that for the likes of the 4 hour gang the group is huge and a bit hectic so the advice was to stay back a bit for the first 3/4 of the marathon keeping them in sight at all times and then towards the end to push on if you can and join them for the last few miles as at that point a good few people will have
    dropped back and there will be more room.

Advertisement