Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

The pacers run a pretty even paced race which for most novices wouldn't be a great plan...unless you are aiming at a soft target.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

skyblue46 wrote:
    The pacers run a pretty even paced race which for most novices wouldn't be a great plan...unless you are aiming at a soft target.

Oh really!? I thought running with a pacer would be the best option. Altho I'm learning very quickly that I know nothing about this pacing malarkey!

Helenasca wrote: »
    Oh really!? I thought running with a pacer would be the best option. Altho I'm learning very quickly that I know nothing about this pacing malarkey!

That's perfectly understandable. I'll get back to this tomorrow or Sunday. It is the making or breaking of your marathon. The pacers will go through 10k bang on target pace. In an ideal world you should be at least two minutes behind them if you want to finish with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

https://youtu.be/PhAG8BJ_gVg

A little something to get you in the mood ;)

My ears!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Was it harder for you or considerably slower? It will be harder for most but that doesn't mean it can't be the faster half.

Slower by about 10 mins per 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Rough day for running today, I've got 12 miles on the HH Plan.
    I suppose it could be like that on the day so no harm to have done 1 LSR in the rain.....thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

I suppose it could be like that on the day so no harm to have done 1 LSR in the rain.....thoughts?

Personally I’m leaving mine until tmw, forecast looks better. Definitely could be like this on the day but I don’t see the benefit in practicing being drenched :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Clibee

Hi all ,

Any of you Dubliners tell me the best way I could get to the start line that morning ? I’m coming from Wexford , so I was thinking, leave the car at dundrum and get the Luas to Stephens green and walk down from there ?

I’m in wave four so starting at 9.45 , what time should I aim to be there for ?

Want to get the logistics sorted in my head.

Hope ye are all enjoying the cool off period

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ChippyRun

effibear wrote: »
    Personally I’m leaving mine until tmw, forecast looks better. Definitely could be like this on the day but I don’t see the benefit in practicing being drenched :-D

I'm also leaving my 12mile until tomorrow partly due to weather today and also a bit of a calf/shin niggle that could use an extra day of rest. Kind of feels a bit odd not running on Saturday morning:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yeah, it could be like that on the day. And you could discover that a t-shirt that is fine in the dry is heavy and chafes when wet.

RayCun wrote: »
    Yeah, it could be like that on the day. And you could discover that a t-shirt that is fine in the dry is heavy and chafes when wet.

+1 to this. Shorts as well. I had a pair that never gave me trouble and on a recent long run in the wet I got chaffing on the inner legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

13 mile done this morning and felt every step. Legs were tired and had a really broken sleep last night. Getting a sports massage later in the week so looking forward to a good rub down! Almost there folks :)

Great news for any soluble novices out there. Tomorrow will be dry :D However it is forecast to be cold. :( Maybe you could defer runs until Monday which should be both dry and a bit warmer. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I plowed through 6 months of training without a hitch, but since I finished the final 20 miler last weekend I've had about 4 different injuries and now have a cold coming on! I thought taper madness was just supposed to be a mental thing? Where are all these ailments coming from!

Got todays 22km done anyway, lashing rain from start to finish. Thats actually the first time its rained on me during this training block, but I don't mind running in the rain anyway and it was good to give the rain gear a bit of a run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Trampas

Pros and cons to pacers

If you do run with pacers make sure you know what’s to hard for you. Don’t be afraid to drop back a few yards as going up a hill you might feel it a bit hard. Just keep them insight.

N11 slip isn’t a hill. Road goes down under bridge them slip up. If it was early you wouldn’t even notice it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Do you all know the clocks go back an hour at 2am on October 28th? That means an extra hour’s sleep before the marathon!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Do you all know the clocks go back an hour at 2am on October 28th? That means an extra hour’s sleep before the marathon!!!

I had sort of forgotten this, happily. I've been struggling to get myself moving in the mornings ahead of the lsr's - this may help ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

Kellygirl wrote: »

Unfortunately I doubt my kids will get the memo on that... :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Really enjoyed doing the 14 mile run in the rain this morning but also experienced my first 'niggle', just in the back of my lower left leg (sorry, my Latin is not up to scratch).
    Was still able to run on it but need to keep an eye on that.....:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If anybody had already decided to use Tailwind and was thinking about how to carry it, I was in one of those "Flying Tiger" shops last week and for €3 picked up a 3 pack of little 40ml plastic travel bottles. Something like these basically:

31c1GALuMDL._AC_US200_.jpg

One of the stick packets of Tailwind fills two 40 ml bottles, and I could fit four of the bottles into the back pocket of my running shorts, they really aren't big.

The question though was always filling a water bottle on the run so I tested it out today, and honestly the little 40ml bottle worked perfectly. Lift the water bottle, take the tailwind bottle from pocket, remove the lids from both, and then because the bottle is solid you can easily hold the 40ml to the neck of the water bottle and dump it all in without ever breaking stride.

I'm not exaggerating, the stick packets of tailwind are always fiddly to open and pour but I didn't miss a beat using these pre-filled little 40ml bottles.

I'm thinking on the day I'll start with a bottle of tailwind, I'll bring 4 of these which I'll fill into bottles I collect from water stations, a packet of cliff bloks, and also a small square of snickers or flapjack or something solid for late in the run. I should easily have room for all in my pockets.

Anyway, if you have already tried Tailwind and plan to use it, check out those little travel bottles, they really do make pouring on the run really convenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Clibee wrote: »
    Hi all ,

Any of you Dubliners tell me the best way I could get to the start line that morning ? I’m coming from Wexford , so I was thinking, leave the car at dundrum and get the Luas to Stephens green and walk down from there ?

I’m in wave four so starting at 9.45 , what time should I aim to be there for ?

Want to get the logistics sorted in my head.

Hope ye are all enjoying the cool off period

Not a Dub, but I drove up to support herself the last two years. I drove right in the N11 through Donnybrook and turned right in Burlington road, Waterloo road area and had no trouble either year with on street parking. (She went up on the club bus earlier and their meetin point was the mespil hotel)
    Not too far to walk to the start area. Both times I arrived after the race had started and I took luas out to Milltown to support.
    I believe with road closures, the only ways to get ‘inside’ route is the N11 with the UCD flyover and using the chapelizod bypass (also a flyover or under?).
    With regard to what time to arrive, I could not advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Didn’t do my long run yet, and considering skipping it.
    My 20 miler last weekend went well, and I did a good few k at MP - some early unintended and some at the end feeling good (faster than MP actually). Hope I haven’t done my marathon right there!!
    However I only did one run of 5 miles this week with good bit of difficulty what with a sore hip, sore knee, and low grade sciatica stuff. The hip and knee are recovering, but still sore and I’m afraid to risk stirring them up further.
    Could do a handy two hour cycle tomorrow, or a shorter run, or maybe I should grit the teeth and get 12-14 miles done??
    All advice accepted. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Alorra

Is there still a group run in the Phoenix Park tomorrow morning?

I will at some stage be over that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Coming from Wexford you'd be better off getting the DART in from Shankill or somewhere if you didn't want to bother having to find parking.
    I know people who parked on Adelaide Road last year and it wasn't busy. They arrived around 8 o'clock and had breakfast in the car!
    I don't think the traffic is too bad to be fair around there.
    If I was you I'd aim to be there around 8, that gives you loads of time to stretch, pee, get rid of bag, find your wave, etc. The last thing you want to be is rushing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Alorra wrote: »
    Is there still a group run in the Phoenix Park tomorrow morning?

I will at some stage be over that way.

Think the plan is for Sunday 21st?

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Didn’t do my long run yet, and considering skipping it.
    My 20 miler last weekend went well, and I did a good few k at MP - some early unintended and some at the end feeling good (faster than MP actually). Hope I haven’t done my marathon right there!!
    However I only did one run of 5 miles this week with good bit of difficulty what with a sore hip, sore knee, and low grade sciatica stuff. The hip and knee are recovering, but still sore and I’m afraid to risk stirring them up further.
    Could do a handy two hour cycle tomorrow, or a shorter run, or maybe I should grit the teeth and get 12-14 miles done??
    All advice accepted. Thanks.

If still sore then I wouldn’t go anywhere near 12-14 miles. If the cycle doesn’t interfere then do that. I’ve been swimming all week instead of running to try keep up cardio and get over an injury at the same time. You’ve done the hard work at this stage.

If anybody is interested in seeing some course specific pacebands I have some done up in 5 minute intervals from 3:55 to 4:25. They are based on a negative split, slow start, even effort (slower on the hills) and DCM elevation.

I used the 4:25 one last year and came in at 4:20 using it. I found it brilliant for keeping me slow at the start while everybody else was shooting off ahead of me,

Anyway, pm me your email address and I’ll happily email them on when I have a chance.

juke wrote: »
    Think the plan is for Sunday 21st?

Correct and right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Alorra

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Correct and right!

Hopefully next week so ðŸ‘

Advertisement