Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Great! I'll make a call on the time later in the week after a bit more feedback from anyone who might be interested. My own leaning is towards 8.30

Sorry S, won't be able to join you I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    may see you's in the park at some stage - think I'm running with some friends around 9am

I'll keep my eyes open for you. I'm planning to do pretty much the same route we did last year....down the North Road, across Lords Walk, up Chesterfield, out the gates, up to Myos and then down Tower Road to Knockmaroon Gate, into the park, down the Glen Road to the hospital and back over across the acres to the visitor centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

coogy wrote: »
    Sorry S, won't be able to join you I'm afraid.

That's a pity. Clash with junior Parkrun?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

juke wrote: »
    Kellygirl, you posted this on another thread, but I'm putting it here too. Like me, some may find it reassuring:

I don't know if it's taper madness or usual self-doubts, but I was relieved to read this. I've been feeling tired over the last few weeks, even short runs are an effort.

I've been wondering if it was normal or if I'm about to implode. I'm going with the normal :P
    Thanks for posting this juke - that's reassuring to me too! Have been having the same doubts so I'm glad I'm not the only one, and it maybe might just be normal :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Ok folks, I'm just trying to finalise plans for Sunday morning meet up and need a little bit of input from anyone planning to come along. Plan is to do a route of approx 8 miles which will take in a small part of the DCM route. We'll meet in the Phoenix Park vistor centre car park and return to the Cafe for tea/coffee and cake. The one thing left to agree on is the time. I'm thinking 8.30 or 9.00am. Time suggestions welcomed. I'll go with the consensus anyway.
    I'd vote for 9.00 but I can be flexible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Ok folks, I'm just trying to finalise plans for Sunday morning meet up and need a little bit of input from anyone planning to come along. Plan is to do a route of approx 8 miles which will take in a small part of the DCM route. We'll meet in the Phoenix Park vistor centre car park and return to the Cafe for tea/coffee and cake. The one thing left to agree on is the time. I'm thinking 8.30 or 9.00am. Time suggestions welcomed. I'll go with the consensus anyway.

I can't make it. Trying to sort out a niggly foot.

That's a pity. Clash with junior Parkrun?

Among other commitments, unfortunately yes! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

skyblue46 wrote:

Unfortunately I'm not around either, would have loved this, hope it's a nice morning for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Great! I'll make a call on the time later in the week after a bit more feedback from anyone who might be interested. My own leaning is towards 8.30

Wont make it- enjoy!

After yesterday's 'surprise' 3.5 mile run, I'm using today as a rest day, even though I am itching to get out there). Have changed physio appointment to Friday now!

Just saying.......:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hi all,
    If people are starting to suffer from nerves/taper madness/boredom, just Google Tommy Tiernan's 'Declan Moffat marathon' sketch, side splitting funny.

Always gets a laff from anyone suffering from Taper Madness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Sorry, I would love to be joining you all but I'm working. Enjoy guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭positron

smashiner wrote: »
    Hi all,
    If people are starting to suffer from nerves/taper madness/boredom, just Google Tommy Tiernan's 'Declan Moffat marathon' sketch, side splitting funny.

Always gets a laff from anyone suffering from Taper Madness :)

Then there's this skit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pflSPiNcO74

Plenty to binge watch there in their channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Interesting article here on what happens your body while running a marathon. Don’t forget to keep hydrating and fueling!!

https://www.rte.ie/eile/brainstorm/2017/1024/914860-what-happens-to-your-body-when-you-run-a-marathon/

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Aoifemcc19

juke wrote: »
    Kellygirl, you posted this on another thread, but I'm putting it here too. Like me, some may find it reassuring:

I don't know if it's taper madness or usual self-doubts, but I was relieved to read this. I've been feeling tired over the last few weeks, even short runs are an effort.

I've been wondering if it was normal or if I'm about to implode. I'm going with the normal :P

THANK YOU so much for posting this, had two shocking short runs today & yesterday!! Felt like I was dragging my legs around even after a couple of rest days!! Was starting to really panic!! Ok obvs this is normal to feel dead during taper

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Interesting article here on what happens your body while running a marathon. Don’t forget to keep hydrating and fueling!!

https://www.rte.ie/eile/brainstorm/2017/1024/914860-what-happens-to-your-body-when-you-run-a-marathon/

Saw this earlier today. That DCM footage from 1980 is priceless!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Aoifemcc19 wrote: »
    THANK YOU so much for posting this, had two shocking short runs today & yesterday!! Felt like I was dragging my legs around even after a couple of rest days!! Was starting to really panic!! Ok obvs this is normal to feel dead during taper

+1 to this - everything feels like a huge effort at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I ranm last year and did nothing until June this year. I kept asking myself why did I stop the running, why didnt I keep it up?

I remeember why now.

TIREDNESS.

Im physically spent. Im tired almost constantly the last 3 weeks. Yesterdays 13.5 miles has me even , more wrecked than the 16 miles I did the previous weekend. It was more of a struggle too.

Cant wait for this to be over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

Thanks for the resounding words of encouragement there Joe 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

skyblue46 wrote:

I won't make it either unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

I hope you novices don't mind an ex novice joining you on Sunday morning.

That morning last year was one of the highlights of the whole training plan for me, the buzz meeting up with one week to go, the palpable excitement. Finally putting actual three dimensions to people who you've become so close to but up until now only knew as letters on a screen.

Beautiful autumnal Sunday morning, running part of the route, running by the official marathon signage in Castleknock. A quick 8 miles that seems like 2 miles with the chat and the fact that you're used to twice that on the weekend.

Coffee, cakes and more getting to know in the cafe afterwards.

If you can make this, don't miss this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Lazare wrote: »

That morning last year was one of the highlights of the whole training plan for me, the buzz meeting up with one week to go, the palpable excitement. Finally putting actual three dimensions to people who you've become so close to but up until now only knew as letters on a screen.

Beautiful autumnal Sunday morning, running part of the route, running by the official marathon signage in Castleknock. A quick 8 miles that seems like 2 miles with the chat and the fact that you're used to twice that on the weekend.

Here, Here!!! I could not agree more, do make it if you can you won't regret it, my hubby and I travelled up from Carlow that morning and it was well worth it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Would love to meet up and put a few faces to usernames, but I’m down the country, and also working this weekend.
    Have the following weekend off however 😠and hope to get to McGrattans for a while before heading back to the Mespil.
    Enjoy Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Didn’t do my long run yet, and considering skipping it.
    My 20 miler last weekend went well, and I did a good few k at MP - some early unintended and some at the end feeling good (faster than MP actually). Hope I haven’t done my marathon right there!!
    However I only did one run of 5 miles this week with good bit of difficulty what with a sore hip, sore knee, and low grade sciatica stuff. The hip and knee are recovering, but still sore and I’m afraid to risk stirring them up further.
    Could do a handy two hour cycle tomorrow, or a shorter run, or maybe I should grit the teeth and get 12-14 miles done??
    All advice accepted. Thanks.

Well I did as advised and took the whole weekend off from running - just a handy cycle, plenty of stretching & foam rolling ( possibly too much??)
    Did an easy 3 miles yesterday and an easy 5 tonight, neither of which I found ‘easy’.
    Have Physio in the morning so hope he puts me right.
    I think as stated in a previous post ‘less is more’ at this stage and will do as advised tomorrow.
    Can’t wait now. #gettinexcited #breakingthecurfew

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I ranm last year and did nothing until June this year. I kept asking myself why did I stop the running, why didnt I keep it up?

I remeember why now.

TIREDNESS.

Im physically spent. Im tired almost constantly the last 3 weeks. Yesterdays 13.5 miles has me even , more wrecked than the 16 miles I did the previous weekend. It was more of a struggle too.

Cant wait for this to be over.

Same, I find I have zero energy in work, I am constantly tired and I can't sleep any more than I have been!

I'm deffo ready for November and putting my feet up for a few weeks, and then the runners can come out again for maybe a 5 miler!

Gas footage of the 1980s marathon, lads jumping the cord, sponges, etc. Also the poor runner who was knocked down.....that probably added injury to insult!!!

Can anybody point to a map of the original route? I wonder would DCM have it themselves?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Beautiful autumnal Sunday morning, running part of the route, running by the official marathon signage in Castleknock. A quick slow 8 miles that seems like 2 miles with the chat and the fact that you're used to twice that on the weekend.

The more the merrier, Lazare! But, to keep the mentors happy, I had to fix one part of your post. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Good morning! I have a physio appointment booked for this evening for a sports massage, I have a few knots in my calves and thigh so going to get them thumped out :D
    I will do my 4 miles with strides today just in case she tells me to either take it easy or take the day off tomorrow. My legs were still heavy on yesterday's run so last night I had a long epsom bath and rubbed some magnesium oil into them - I do feel less achy today so hoping this run will bring me back on track (mentally and physically! :) )

I'm hoping to make Sunday, depends on what shift himself will be working at the weekend :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

aloooof wrote: »
    The more the merrier, Lazare! But, to keep the mentors happy, I had to fix one part of your post. ;)

Haha, of course. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Ah that sounds amazing. I'm gutted to be missing the meet up but as I said I've to work. No sign of a swap, yet anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

It has come up again on a Facebook running page that there will be no 4:50 pacers at DCM this year :eek: Some are arguing that there will be and others are saying that they know for a fact there won't be any there.
    Does anybody know a pacer or an organiser they could ask please?
    I'd rather re-set my goal now than turn up on the day and choose between 4:40 and 5 hrs (I know I'll be too stressed to pace myself, I can barely manage in training :( )

Advertisement