Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

The weather forecast is looking pretty perfect for now.

However will be nippy hanging around so maybe start thinking about clothes that you are happy to discard at the start line. I keep old hoodies and tracksuit ends just to get rid of on marathon mornings! Some are my husbands stuff that I don’t like :D The clothes discarded at the startline are collected and go to charity afterwards. I think I read the same doesn’t apply if you discard enroute.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Off to the physio in the morning as I have a slight twinge in my lower back/hip and my groin on the same side is a wee bit tight.....'maranoia' has truly set in. I think that my physio drives a top of the range Lexus these days with all kinds of crocks coming in to see him as of late.:rolleyes:

Saw this DCM sign in Kilmainham today and my heartbeat went up a few beats....it's getting a bit too real for my liking!! The countdown is truly on :eek:

DCM 2018 pic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

smashiner wrote: »
    Off to the physio in the morning as I have a slight twinge in my lower back/hip and my groin on the same side is a wee bit tight.....'maranoia' has truly set in. I think that my physio drives a top of the range Lexus these days with all kinds of crocks coming in to see him as of late.:rolleyes:

Saw this DCM sign in Kilmainham today and my heartbeat went up a few beats....it's getting a bit too real for my liking!! The countdown is truly on :eek:

DCM 2018 pic.jpg

Tell me about it!! My heart was beating like the clappers during my lunch run today!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Aoifemcc19

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Ok folks, I'm just trying to finalise plans for Sunday morning meet up and need a little bit of input from anyone planning to come along. Plan is to do a route of approx 8 miles which will take in a small part of the DCM route. We'll meet in the Phoenix Park vistor centre car park and return to the Cafe for tea/coffee and cake. The one thing left to agree on is the time. I'm thinking 8.30 or 9.00am. Time suggestions welcomed. I'll go with the consensus anyway.

Sorry my kids have too much on with cross country championships and matches Sunday to make this run so did my 8 miles today!! If I can I will try and bomb across to say hi before you set off!! Would be nice to put faces to names. If not is there a plan to link up on Marathon Morning??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ChippyRun

Lazare wrote: »
    I hope you novices don't mind an ex novice joining you on Sunday morning.

That morning last year was one of the highlights of the whole training plan for me, the buzz meeting up with one week to go, the palpable excitement. Finally putting actual three dimensions to people who you've become so close to but up until now only knew as letters on a screen.

Beautiful autumnal Sunday morning, running part of the route, running by the official marathon signage in Castleknock. A quick 8 miles that seems like 2 miles with the chat and the fact that you're used to twice that on the weekend.

Coffee, cakes and more getting to know in the cafe afterwards.

If you can make this, don't miss this.

Lazare has built this up so much and made it sound so appealing that I have put off collection of my Euromillions jackpot from Lotto HQ to do this instead:D
    Looking forward to it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Aoifemcc19 wrote: »
    Sorry my kids have too much on with cross country championships and matches Sunday to make this run so did my 8 miles today!! If I can I will try and bomb across to say hi before you set off!! Would be nice to put faces to names. If not is there a plan to link up on Marathon Morning??:D

You could try rounding up the troops on marathon morning. In previous years the novices themselves were the ones who organised meet ups in the weeks leading up to DCM. I just tried to give a little push seeing as that wasn't happening. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Alorra

You could try rounding up the troops on marathon morning. In previous years the novices themselves were the ones who organised meet ups in the weeks leading up to DCM. I just tried to give a little push seeing as that wasn't happening. :o

Ah we are the internet generation 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

I was reading through all the 2017 novices post race reports yesterday. Unfortunately am laid up in bed sick so have plenty of time on my hands. The main thing that really sunk in, that has been said many many times already, is how much slower the first 7 miles need to be to finish the race well and within the projected time and the proof is right there. Some great reading and very useful info.

I'd like to get an opinion on my race approach as it is based on my training rather than races as I didn't manage to do any recently! Signed up for a half but couldn't make it. My goal time is 4.30 since the start and I'd be happy to get within that which I feel is doable. Maybe even 4.20. Most of my recent lsr avearges are between 10.30 and 11.30 mins per mile. And I've felt pretty good during and after most of them, bar tummy issues and plantar fasciitis soreness after. I've done 2x18miles and 2x20miles. So my plan is to run 10:15 for most of it and then upping the pace a bit at mile 22 if I feel good. And I plan on doing the first 10k at 10:50 pace. What do you think?

It's not past the curfew if it's technically a new day, right? ;p

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

I'd like to get an opinion on my race approach as it is based on my training rather than races as I didn't manage to do any recently!

Snap!
    I haven't raced a half marathon in over two years :eek: I was only home from holidays the night before the Dublin half this year so done it as part of a 20 mile LSR, my chosen pace is based purely on training runs.
    After all my giving out yesterday about running with the 4:50 pacer I'm wondering if I'll be better off doing my own thing and taking the first 7 miles extra easy. I read the latest Irish Runner magazine yesterday and everyone who wrote an article giving advice on pacing mentioned how tough it is.

Your pacing plan sounds good to me, I think I'll aim for something similar (but slower!)

Feel better soon - I absolutely swear by the healing powers of a shot of whiskey in a lemsip. It doesn't count as drinking if it's medicinal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

This blog is a wonderful read from fellow boardsie TFGR about her first marathon. Every time I read it there's a certain line that makes me cry :o
    There's also a great checklist which I've copied :)

This time next week I'll be queueing to go into the expo. Can I panic yet? :eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

kittyclaws wrote: »
    This blog is a wonderful read from fellow boardsie TFGR about her first marathon. Every time I read it there's a certain line that makes me cry :o

This time next week I'll be queueing to go into the expo. Can I panic yet? :eek::D

That was really heartfelt and inspirational. Good on her. Felt so bad when reading about the latter part or the course without any crowds and the roads re-opening. People at the end need more support not less - running for almost 7 hours, kudos.
    I will definitely be copying the painting the nails to match the outfit ;)

No panicking allowed as we are all well trained soldiers and just doing what we were trained to do for the past 5 months or so. Trust in the training we've done and the knowledge we've soaked up here to deal with anything that comes up on the day :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'm now touch-and-go for Sunday morning, but will confirm on here tomorrow.

If not, I'm happy to try organise a meeting point on the morning before the marathon, for some hello's and words of encouragement. Will sound out a few friends who are DCM veterans on where would be a good spot and will post it up here.

aloooof wrote: »
    I'm now touch-and-go for Sunday morning, but will confirm on here tomorrow.

If not, I'm happy to try organise a meeting point on the morning before the marathon, for some hello's and words of encouragement. Will sound out a few friends who are DCM veterans on where would be a good spot and will post it up here.

I'll be sleeping out overnight right at the start line, just to make sure I don't miss the alarm!! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

coogy wrote: »
    I'll be sleeping out overnight right at the start line, just to make sure I don't miss the alarm!! :D

Perfect, we can all just meet by your tent! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

coogy wrote: »

I dreamt last night I did!! And I got all confused as to where the event started, it started upstairs in some shopping centre, I asked them if I'd be able to catch up but they said the roads were all open now, but I could go run the 26.2 miles if i wanted!

I woke up then, extremely relieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

i also had a dream that i slept in and missed it

and another that i took a wrong turn and ended up running way off course and then by the time i tried to go back to rejoin race where i left off it was too late and route was closed

lolz, marathon on the brain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Been a hard week with training. Was at a wedding at the weekend, fit the running in around it but wouldn't like to admit what hardship it was with the drinking involved. Getting badly paranoid now, any little twinge is instantly brain into overdrive assuming the worst. I'll be glad to have the runs out of the way this weekend. Most plans are calling for LSR on Sunday. Would it be better to move this to tomorrow morning very early before work to allow an extra day to recover before the marathon or just go ahead with it Sunday?

#paranoia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Been a hard week with training. Was at a wedding at the weekend, fit the running in around it but wouldn't like to admit what hardship it was with the drinking involved. Getting badly paranoid now, any little twinge is instantly brain into overdrive assuming the worst. I'll be glad to have the runs out of the way this weekend. Most plans are calling for LSR on Sunday. Would it be better to move this to tomorrow morning very early before work to allow an extra day to recover before the marathon or just go ahead with it Sunday?

#maranoia

FYP!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    FYP!!

Follow your plan?

Follow your plan?

It’s not #paranoia it’s #maranoia for the likes of yourself!!!

• Advertisement

It’s not #paranoia it’s #maranoia for the likes of yourself!!!

Serious #maranoia. Does FYP mean Follow Your Plan yeah?

Serious #maranoia. Does FYP mean Follow Your Plan yeah?

No Fixed Your Post.

Would it be better to move this to tomorrow morning very early before work to allow an extra day to recover before the marathon or just go ahead with it Sunday?

I say yes, good idea to allow an extra day of recovery, less time spent on your feet at this stage is good & should leave you fresh. Doesn’t mean hitting the high stool for the day Sunday though!!

No Fixed Your Post.

I see what you did there!
    I say yes, good idea to allow an extra day of recovery, less time spent on your feet at this stage is good & should leave you fresh. Doesn’t mean hitting the high stool for the day Sunday though!!

Right, time for bed so to get the run done in the morning :rolleyes:

Right, time for bed so to get the run done in the morning :rolleyes:

It will be all worth it Sunday week believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

kittyclaws wrote: »

Oh my gosh I cried reading that race report. Beautifully written too. Thank you for sharing.

Kellygirl wrote: »

Does anyone know if there is a 2018 table up yet for us to enter our goal times?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

It will be posted this weekend as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

So that's it, we really are running a marathon next week.... Holy moly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Been following this thread for a while now, my OH is one of the novices.

Just want to say a big thanks to all those who have given their time and advice here and wish all participants the very best on the 28th! :)

Advertisement