Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

coogy wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a 2018 table up yet for us to enter our goal times?

There's one up in the DCM thread in the events forum.

You can just put 'n/a' in the pb section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Steve wrote: »
    Been following this thread for a while now, my OH is one of the novices.

Just want to say a big thanks to all those who have given their time and advice here and wish all participants the very best on the 28th! :)

Thanks Steve. Hope you are looking forward to supporting next Sunday! (I’m presuming you aren’t running?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Thanks Steve. Hope you are looking forward to supporting next Sunday! (I’m presuming you aren’t running?)

I couldn't run for a bus lol :D

Seriously in awe at you guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Kellygirl wrote: »

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Running to McGrattans :P

skyblue46, for the meet-up tomorrow:

Seeing as you are determined to drag me out of bed at the crack of dawn tomorrow (ok, tad over dramatic, but all I'm doing these days is sleeping :o) what's your strategy to stop the slower runners getting lost?

Will you have a balloon so we can see you from the distance :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Does 8 miles even count as an LSR anymore?! Anyways it’s done and dusted and now there is nothing left to do for the next 8 days but play the waiting game!

Whatever happens on my attempt next weekend I would like to say a heartfelt thanks to the 3 mentors for all your work, words of encouragement and advice these past few months. I would be more a reader than a writer on here but suffice to say your contributions have been invaluable.
    I remember a couple of months back I had a horror week where I couldn’t run past 4 miles without resorting to walking. I was at a really low ebb and felt like packing the whole thing in but yer advice got my head back in the game and here I am chomping at the bit for next week!
    I would also like to thank all the boardsies on the thread, yer various stories and achievements have been a great source of encouragement and motivation.

Now 8 days to go, let the Maranoia really ratchet up......!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

did the half marathon at 1.55
    so tempted to go for 4 hour using the DCM pace band but i dont know if it is worth the risk
    any tips on what to do?
    maybe aim to reach the half way mark and 2.0x ? and see what i have left for the second half?
    first marathon, longest run so far was 31k
    training was so so, PB 10k is 48min

I could have written this myself.
    Clonmel HM this year in 1:54, (10k PB is 48 mins also!) and planning giving sub 4 a rattle.
    Plan at the moment is first 7 miles in 1:07 as advised, reaching halfway in 2:02/03, picking up the pace slightly after that, then if I'm feeling strong after 20 miles going for sub 4.
    I figure with the conservative start I can leave the 4 hour target go if it's not there for me on the day, and I won't be careering into a wall after 20 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Well I have to say that the last week has been just sh*t! I noticed a pain in my foot during last weeks long run, thought it was just my beautiful hobbit feet acting up. Then Sunday it was really sore, not during walking, but again during the recovery run every step under arch of my foot was sore. So I went (I’m a panicker according to my wife!) into full panic mode.

Treated it by icing it resting it rolling it, had a sports massage on Wednesday, didn’t run again until yesterday for 3 miles.

This morning I ran 10 miles ( sorry I know that’s more than plan) as I just wanted to see how manageable it is. It is manageable and I couldn’t be happier- haven’t felt the buzz/excitement of the marathon at all this week but right now sitting in my kitchen I have to say I am bursting for next week- can’t wait!

....all the emotions!!!

....let’s do a marathon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Heading out shortly for my 8 mile run. The final lsr... On the home straight after this...
    Can feel my legs twitching with energy from the reduced mileage. I can't mess up now. I'm a terrible tripper and I'd wrap my legs in gauze if I could for the next week to keep myself injury free.
    Later!

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Well I have to say that the last week has been just sh*t! I noticed a pain in my foot during last weeks long run, thought it was just my beautiful hobbit feet acting up. Then Sunday it was really sore, not during walking, but again during the recovery run every step under arch of my foot was sore. So I went (I’m a panicker according to my wife!) into full panic mode.

Treated it by icing it resting it rolling it, had a sports massage on Wednesday, didn’t run again until yesterday for 3 miles.

This morning I ran 10 miles ( sorry I know that’s more than plan) as I just wanted to see how manageable it is. It is manageable and I couldn’t be happier- haven’t felt the buzz/excitement of the marathon at all this week but right now sitting in my kitchen I have to say I am bursting for next week- can’t wait!

....all the emotions!!!

....let’s do a marathon!!!

Delighted your run went well F. Yeah, let's do this!!

• Advertisement

juke wrote: »

Seeing as you are determined to drag me out of bed at the crack of dawn tomorrow (ok, tad over dramatic, but all I'm doing these days is sleeping :o) what's your strategy to stop the slower runners getting lost?

Aw, I really wanted to be part of this. I can imagine the fun!
    OK, I'm going, got a run to do....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Was a time decided on tomorrow’s run in Phoenix Park?

I’ll vote half 8 as it’ll be quieter and easier to find each other at that hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Just back from last of the long runs (does 8 miles even count as a long run anymore???) :D

Plan for this coming week is to get plenty of rest, followed by some rest, and topped off with a dollop of rest (with some running in between).

Wow. What a journey it's been.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Was a time decided on tomorrow’s run in Phoenix Park?

I’ll vote half 8 as it’ll be quieter and easier to find each other at that hour!

8.30, I believe. Just look out for the nervous looking internet nerds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

It will mostly be marathon route and as you have everything meticulously planned you won't need help with directions! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

I know people have plans...but I’ll be at the davenport hotel from 8am next week with friends from fingallians ac...so i can meet fellow novices (and mentors!) around there if that suits people!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

8.30, I believe. Just look out for the nervous looking internet nerds :D

Or just look for an auld baldy lad in running gear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Or just look for an auld baldy lad in running gear!

Nothing wrong with being auld & bald!!!

Aw, I really wanted to be part of this. I can imagine the fun!
    OK, I'm going, gotta run to do....

Ah, it's just a warm up for the real meet-up next week!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It will mostly be marathon route and as you have everything meticulously planned you won't need help with directions! ;-)

Thanks to the mentors' help, meticulous is a good word. I still have the odd MINOR thing to sort out for the day:
    • Running clothes - the shorts dilemma
    • Fuel - gels or clif bloks or ...
    • Run strategy - pace band or follow balloons (that may involve actually thinking about a time :o)
    • Course meeting points for friends/family - total denial on this one
    • McGrattans - CHECK :D

So yeah, meticulous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

When are people collecting their race numbers? I was thinking Friday at lunchtime but will it be very busy?? Is there a lot of queuing involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

I know there was some talk about carb-loading but I’m not still sure what to do the evening before D-Day! I’ll be travelling to and staying in Dublin the Saturday so will have to eat out. Should we eat a big pasta the evening before? Or something else? I don’t want to be bloated and sluggish for the race. Any healthy carby suggestions in rathmines or city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

Probably Saturday, need something to distract me that day!!

I know there was some talk about carb-loading but I’m not still sure what to do the evening before D-Day! I’ll be travelling to and staying in Dublin the Saturday so will have to eat out. Should we eat a big pasta the evening before? Or something else? I don’t want to be bloated and sluggish for the race. Any healthy carby suggestions in rathmines or city?

Stick to what your used to, eat your normal weekly diet you have been eating up to this point. Don’t overload on the carbs if it’s not part of your normal meals. Some carbs the evening before is good but no more than what your used to. As you say, you don’t want to be bloated the morning of the marathon.

Now is the time to cut your toenails folks, if you need to that is. If you nick a little too tight it has a week to grow out.

*Tip copyrighted by Raycun*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I joined this months ago but only posted a few times. I was following the boards plan until things fell apart. I was going well until the end of July when I lost my 4yr old daughter in a tragic accident. I didnt run for 2 weeks. When i came back to it the RNR half was the first run. For the first few weeks back i was like a bat out of hell, needing to race, needing to push myself out of my comfort zones, needing to fight my brain. I tried to keep the training runs as reasonable as i could but struggled. I'm sure the mentors were looking at my strava wondering what in the world was i doing.
    after a few weeks i calmed my brain and the feeling of pushing myself slowed down. I got back on track and then ended up with a niggle in my knee at the end of an 18mile LSR. I managed to catch an IT issue before it got too bad thankfully. My knee is getting there with physio, strength coach and doing what im told! Knee cap is still slightly pulled out of place but its a lot better than it was.
    I decided not to run the dublin half, instead focused on getting to the 3/4 marathon in Longwood which thankfully worked. That race was a huge boost for me, i knew i could do DCM. The 3/4 was slow and steady and knee held up great, from mile 14 i felt strong enough to push a little and over each mile I did, finishing strong with no pain.
    I began this journey aiming for 4;30 and i feel strong enough to make an attempt and keep that aim.

I have been following the thread all along and just wanted to say thanks to the mentors for all the information and advice they have given here.
    I wont see you tomorrow in the park, i did my last LSR this morning.

One more week left in this journey I for one am ready to do this, for me and for my daughter.

I joined this months ago but only posted a few times. I was following the boards plan until things fell apart. I was going well until the end of July when I lost my 4yr old daughter in a tragic accident. I didnt run for 2 weeks. When i came back to it the RNR half was the first run. For the first few weeks back i was like a bat out of hell, needing to race, needing to push myself out of my comfort zones, needing to fight my brain. I tried to keep the training runs as reasonable as i could but struggled. I'm sure the mentors were looking at my strava wondering what in the world was i doing.
    after a few weeks i calmed my brain and the feeling of pushing myself slowed down. I got back on track and then ended up with a niggle in my knee at the end of an 18mile LSR. I managed to catch an IT issue before it got too bad thankfully. My knee is getting there with physio, strength coach and doing what im told! Knee cap is still slightly pulled out of place but its a lot better than it was.
    I decided not to run the dublin half, instead focused on getting to the 3/4 marathon in Longwood which thankfully worked. That race was a huge boost for me, i knew i could do DCM. The 3/4 was slow and steady and knee held up great, from mile 14 i felt strong enough to push a little and over each mile I did, finishing strong with no pain.
    I began this journey aiming for 4;30 and i feel strong enough to make an attempt and keep that aim.

I have been following the thread all along and just wanted to say thanks to the mentors for all the information and advice they have given here.

One more week left in this journey I for one am ready to do this, for me and for my daughter.

Sorry for your very tragic loss, am sure your daughter will be very very proud of you Sunday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Truly sorry for your loss, and no matter what on Sunday week, you're incredible for undertaking this. I'm sure the running has been helping you through, I know it's helped me through a lot of grief personally. Take care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I am so sorry to read this. I can’t imagine what you are going through but I’m glad running is helping you some bit and very best wishes for the day. I’m sure it’s going to be incredibly emotional. Your daughter will be with you the whole way and so proud of you.

• Advertisement

Such a sad thing to read. I hope you and your family are ok.

Running helps get you through. Deep condolences.

Advertisement