Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I joined this months ago but only posted a few times. I was following the boards plan until things fell apart. I was going well until the end of July when I lost my 4yr old daughter in a tragic accident. I didnt run for 2 weeks. When i came back to it the RNR half was the first run. For the first few weeks back i was like a bat out of hell, needing to race, needing to push myself out of my comfort zones, needing to fight my brain. I tried to keep the training runs as reasonable as i could but struggled. I'm sure the mentors were looking at my strava wondering what in the world was i doing.
    after a few weeks i calmed my brain and the feeling of pushing myself slowed down. I got back on track and then ended up with a niggle in my knee at the end of an 18mile LSR. I managed to catch an IT issue before it got too bad thankfully. My knee is getting there with physio, strength coach and doing what im told! Knee cap is still slightly pulled out of place but its a lot better than it was.
    I decided not to run the dublin half, instead focused on getting to the 3/4 marathon in Longwood which thankfully worked. That race was a huge boost for me, i knew i could do DCM. The 3/4 was slow and steady and knee held up great, from mile 14 i felt strong enough to push a little and over each mile I did, finishing strong with no pain.
    I began this journey aiming for 4;30 and i feel strong enough to make an attempt and keep that aim.

I have been following the thread all along and just wanted to say thanks to the mentors for all the information and advice they have given here.
    I wont see you tomorrow in the park, i did my last LSR this morning.

One more week left in this journey I for one am ready to do this, for me and for my daughter.

My goodness, you are unbelievably strong to have pushed through after such a tragic event in your life. So sorry for your loss.
    People like you are such an inspiration. Do your daughter proud and the very best of luck to you next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

I was just about to write about how horrific this mornings run was but having read the last couple of posts it has put everything into perspective and it is just another silly run. There's more important things in life.

So sorry for your loss and we will all spare a thought for you and your daughter as we make our way around next Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Thanks guys. Little did I realise back in April when i signed up for DCM how important this would be to me. Running was good for me, having the marathon to aim for, on what should be my daughters 5th birthday , has saved me.
    We all have our own jounerys, demons to fight, griefs to carry but we will all cross that line proudly on sunday week.
    Wishing everyone good luck in this final stretch. xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

Thanks guys. Little did I realise back in April when i signed up for DCM how important this would be to me. Running was good for me, having the marathon to aim for, on what should be my daughters 5th birthday , has saved me.
    We all have our own jounerys, demons to fight, griefs to carry but we will all cross that line proudly on sunday week.

I’m so sorry for your loss, what amazing strength you have. Best of luck next Sunday. Take care

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

[quote="Themadhouse;108401675"

One more week left in this journey I for one am ready to do this, for me and for my daughter.[/quote]

So sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you are going through and the strength it's taken to keep up the running. Best of luck on the day, no doubt your daughter would be incredibly proud of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭blueberrypie

Themadhouse...
    Reading this and crying at thought of loss and I don't even know you.
    Its weird how running becomes so important to us
    as a coping mechanism with the stuff that life throws at us. xx
    Ill be thinking of Allanah through mile 8 and thinking of you throughout the marathon.

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/12/13/4149662-little-alanna-8--who-completed-the-dublin-city-marathon-with-her-dad-has-passed-away/

https://www.facebook.com/pg/teamalanna1/posts/

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

So sorry for your loss, something no parent should ever have to experience. Your words are so inspiring, I know it will be emotional next week but as others have said your daughter will be so proud of you.

Thank you so much for sharing

Themadhouse...
    Reading this and crying at thought of loss and I don't even know you.
    Its weird how running becomes so important to us
    as a coping mechanism with the stuff that life throws at us. xx
    Ill be thinking of Allanah through mile 8 and thinking of you throughout the marathon.

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/12/13/4149662-little-alanna-8--who-completed-the-dublin-city-marathon-with-her-dad-has-passed-away/

https://www.facebook.com/pg/teamalanna1/posts/

i will also be thinking of Alanna during the marathon and Searlait and all those who left us too soon. x I remember last yr keeping an eye on all the marathon stuff and saw Alanna , It was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I joined this months ago but only posted a few times. I was following the boards plan until things fell apart. I was going well until the end of July when I lost my 4yr old daughter in a tragic accident. I didnt run for 2 weeks. When i came back to it the RNR half was the first run. For the first few weeks back i was like a bat out of hell, needing to race, needing to push myself out of my comfort zones, needing to fight my brain. I tried to keep the training runs as reasonable as i could but struggled. I'm sure the mentors were looking at my strava wondering what in the world was i doing.
    after a few weeks i calmed my brain and the feeling of pushing myself slowed down. I got back on track and then ended up with a niggle in my knee at the end of an 18mile LSR. I managed to catch an IT issue before it got too bad thankfully. My knee is getting there with physio, strength coach and doing what im told! Knee cap is still slightly pulled out of place but its a lot better than it was.
    I decided not to run the dublin half, instead focused on getting to the 3/4 marathon in Longwood which thankfully worked. That race was a huge boost for me, i knew i could do DCM. The 3/4 was slow and steady and knee held up great, from mile 14 i felt strong enough to push a little and over each mile I did, finishing strong with no pain.
    I began this journey aiming for 4;30 and i feel strong enough to make an attempt and keep that aim.

I have been following the thread all along and just wanted to say thanks to the mentors for all the information and advice they have given here.

One more week left in this journey I for one am ready to do this, for me and for my daughter.

I'm humbled that you would share this with us. You have my deepest sympathies for what you've been through, my admiration for getting to the start line, and my best wishes for next Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Themadhouse I'm very sorry for your loss. Well done on getting this far and working through what can only have been a tremendously hard time. The very best of luck next week. We will all be thinking of you and your family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Clibee

So sorry for your loss, you are in my thoughts and I hope you and your family are ok.

I'm in wave 4, starting 9;45 i think. WHat time should i be in town for on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'm in wave 4, starting 9;45 i think. WHat time should i be in town for on the day?

Firstly can I add myself to the list of those in awe of what you are doing in memory of your beautiful daughter in the face of what must be crushing grief. She has to be so bloody proud of you. I was missing my mojo when it came to doing this marathon but now it's being run to celebrate her life and the joy she brought to you. Are dheis De go raibh a hanam.

Back to DCM....I'd say that irrespective of wave start times most people should be looking to be in the vicinity of the start by about 8am. Toilet queues can be massive!!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Firstly can I add myself to the list of those in awe of what you are doing in memory of your beautiful daughter in the face of what must be crushing grief. She has to be so bloody proud of you. I was missing my mojo when it came to doing this marathon but now it's being run to celebrate her life and the joy she brought to you. Are dheis De go raibh a hanam.

Back to DCM....I'd say that irrespective of wave start times most people should be looking to be in the vicinity of the start by about 8am. Toilet queues can be massive!!

Thank you so much, its really appreciated. I hope she helps you on your 26.2 mile journey too as I know she will push me all the way.

8am it is so! Hopefully time for a cuppa before hand. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Themadhouse I am also so very sorry for the loss of your little girl and in awe of your strength to carry on and honour her in such a way, you're incredible. I have no doubt she will be with you next Sunday every step of the way carrying you when the going gets tough - I think she will carry us all if you don't mind sharing your little angel with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Themadhouse I am so so sorry to hear of your beautiful daughter passing. I remember seeing your username in the beginning of this dcm journey and it always made me smile.

I cannot begin to imagine what you have been through and are still facing on a daily basis. I hope you and your partner have good people around you, to care for you. I wish I could wrap you both in cotton wool and never let anything hurt you again.

As others have mentioned, thank you for sharing your unimaginable loss with us. It's so true, you never know what battles some people are facing. I work in pediatrics and many a night I've gone home to my husband in tears saying "we have no problems".

I have the utmost respect for you for continuing with your training. I wish you all the luck in the world for dcm. You will carry your beautiful daughter in your heart with you. Nothing can hurt your baby girl now. The only people who can hurt now are you and your family, so surround yourself with good people who remember your little girl and look out for you.

Don't forget your running family are always here for you when you need a friend to listen.

Mind yourself xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I can only echo what everyone above has said, I am very very sorry for your loss. You are an extremely strong person, and I am glad that you have found something that you love to do, and are able to fulfil your goal for both you and your daughter, she will be extremely proud of you, as will your boardsie family. I wish you the best race possible, in every single aspect, and great news to hear on the (past) injury front. Now go smash that 4:30!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭yido1882

Themadhouse, really sorry for your loss, I can only imagine what you are going through .

As everyone has said, you are unbelievably courageous to keep going and an inspiration to people. It puts everything into perspective.

Good luck next Sunday and I'll be thinking of you and your family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Themadhouse, I am so sorry to hear that.

Your little girl would be proud of you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

@Themadhouse I have the glitteriest most colourful unicorn badge ordered for my running top to celebrate her wonderful life, I will be thinking of her all thru my race xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Themadhouse, serious respect for your strength and resilience.

Enjoy Sunday, she'll be watching you, smiling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

kittyclaws wrote: »
    @Themadhouse I have the glitteriest most colourful unicorn badge ordered for my running top to celebrate her wonderful life, I will be thinking of her all thru my race xxx

Where did you order it from Kittyclaws?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Suddenly my goal of breaking 4 hours seems less important and a silly thing to be worrying about. Here I am feeling sorry for myself because I woke up this morning with a bit of man flu and was worrying about making the start line next weekend.
    I can't imagine the pain you are feeling and I just know you will make your daughter proud.
    Running is an excellent way to help the mind heal. I only started to run after my eldest son was born with special needs.
    It was the toughest time I've ever had to get through and even still nearly 7 years later we still have tough times but I wouldn't change him for the world.
    Running was a big help for me in coping with the emotional state I was in at the time.
    I'm not for one second comparing losing a child to the situation I'm in,but I can relate to you running wise and how it helps.
    Best of luck for the Marathon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I can only echo what everyone else has said here, Themadhouse, so sorry to hear of your loss. What you will achieve next Sunday in honor of your daughter is beyond inspiring. It takes a level of strength and courage I can't even fathom.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Where did you order it from Kittyclaws?

I ordered from Claire’s in the states, I didn’t see any online on the Irish site - I ordered it a few weeks ago so hopefully it will arrive in time - otherwise I’ll make one.
    Seen some on eBay too but the one I got is really glittery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Dunno if I missed the post but is there a definite time and place decided for meeting in the morning?

kittyclaws wrote: »

That is so perfect. <3

ewc78 wrote: »
    Suddenly my goal of breaking 4 hours seems less important and a silly thing to be worrying about. Here I am feeling sorry for myself because I woke up this morning with a bit of man flu and was worrying about making the start line next weekend.
    I can't imagine the pain you are feeling and I just know you will make your daughter proud.
    Running is an excellent way to help the mind heal. I only started to run after my eldest son was born with special needs.
    It was the toughest time I've ever had to get through and even still nearly 7 years later we still have tough times but I wouldn't change him for the world.
    Running was a big help for me in coping with the emotional state I was in at the time.
    I'm not for one second comparing losing a child to the situation I'm in,but I can relate to you running wise and how it helps.
    Best of luck for the Marathon.
    Running really is a healer. WIthout it and without having DCM to focus on i really dont know where I would be at. I did go mental with it for a while but i did have a lot of anger to try and shift. I'm glad it has helped you too. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Dunno if I missed the post but is there a definite time and place decided for meeting in the morning?

Strawberry Swan I think the guys are meeting at 08:30 at the visitor center in the PP.

• Advertisement

From the Strava discussion page “Plan is to do a route of approx 8 miles which will take in a small part of the DCM route. We'll meet in the Phoenix Park vistor centre car park and return to the Cafe for tea/coffee and cake. 8.30am”

Advertisement