Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MickOB94

I came on here for a bit of a moan after this morning's run, but reading Themadhouse's story has put everything into perspective. I'm sure you'll find the strength to get through the final week of training and power through next Sunday!

I'll forego the moan, but I do have a couple of genuine questions which have left me feeling a little uneasy for the big day.

Big question first, is it too late at this stage to buy a new pair of runners for next Sunday? I had a bit of pain on the tops of my feet where they meet my shins on this morning's run, so what was meant to be a 13k long slow run ended up only being 5k before I had to stop. I fear it might be the runners, which were new when I started training back in June, and have racked up a fair amount of mileage in that time. I'm following the HHN1 plan, and have managed to stick to the vast majority of training dates and distances.

My second question follows on from the first. I was considering heading out tomorrow morning and running the remaining 8k of the long slow run that I didn't complete this morning. My plan was to loosen the laces on my runners a little, in case that was the issue this morning, and seeing if there's any improvement. Is it madness to do another run tomorrow morning, even an LSR?

I know these are probably silly questions to more experienced runners, so I'll make myself known to anyone who wants to give me a clip around the ear next weekend! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

MickOB94 wrote: »
    I came on here for a bit of a moan after this morning's run, but reading Themadhouse's story has put everything into perspective. I'm sure you'll find the strength to get through the final week of training and power through next Sunday!

I'll forego the moan, but I do have a couple of genuine questions which have left me feeling a little uneasy for the big day.

Big question first, is it too late at this stage to buy a new pair of runners for next Sunday? I had a bit of pain on the tops of my feet where they meet my shins on this morning's run, so what was meant to be a 13k long slow run ended up only being 5k before I had to stop. I fear it might be the runners, which were new when I started training back in June, and have racked up a fair amount of mileage in that time. I'm following the HHN1 plan, and have managed to stick to the vast majority of training dates and distances.

My second question follows on from the first. I was considering heading out tomorrow morning and running the remaining 8k of the long slow run that I didn't complete this morning. My plan was to loosen the laces on my runners a little, in case that was the issue this morning, and seeing if there's any improvement. Is it madness to do another run tomorrow morning, even an LSR?

I know these are probably silly questions to more experienced runners, so I'll make myself known to anyone who wants to give me a clip around the ear next weekend! :P

Is this the first time you’ve got the pain? I think it would be ok to go out tomorrow with the laces looser and see how you get on? I think as long as you went very slow tomorrow you’ll be fine and if you have pain that you stop straight away.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Is this the first time you’ve got the pain? I think it would be ok to go out tomorrow with the laces looser and see how you get on? I think as long as you went very slow tomorrow you’ll be fine and if you have pain that you stop straight away.

The pain happened a couple of times throughout the training, but today was the first time I wasn't able to run it off. So hopefully it's a once-off and the doubts of next Sunday are causing me to over-react a little.

The plan is to keep it very slow tomorrow, and if it's a case that I feel like I need a new pair of runners, I still have the 3 midweek runs to break them in a little before Sunday.

The pain happened a couple of times throughout the training, but today was the first time I wasn't able to run it off. So hopefully it's a once-off and the doubts of next Sunday are causing me to over-react a little.

The plan is to keep it very slow tomorrow, and if it's a case that I feel like I need a new pair of runners, I still have the 3 midweek runs to break them in a little before Sunday.

Check back in tomorrow and fingers crossed it won’t happen again.

Hi all,

Posting this with permission from Themadhouse.

We were thinking it would be nice to remember Georgia during DCM and here are some ideas for anybody who would like to do something.

Here is a little bit about Georgia that might give you some ideas (from Themadhouse):

‘Georgia was the girliest of girls and the bravest of girls. She loved pink and sparkles and glitter and rainbows and princesses and animals and anything else that goes with all of that! I would love to see things that remind me of her along the way. I’d be happy to have anyone put her name or in memory of etc. or a pink tutu, a crown, anything sparkly, unicorn, rainbow, wonderwoman badge.’

Skyblue suggested sparkly wristbands if we can find them. Hair bobbles, bands, anything sparkly and lets brighten up the day in memory of Georgia.

It would be lovely to see Georgia’s name or ‘in Memory of Georgia’ written on t-shirts or bibs - at the expo you can get names printed onto your bibs. Team Archie are doing it free of charge (will have a donation bucket) near the bottom of the stairs.

I know we’ll all be thinking of her and she’ll be helping her amazing mum get through those 26.2 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

That's awful Themadhouse's, fair play for continuing on your DCM journey.

With regard to the marathon, I suffered a injury three weeks ago. I Broke a toe on my right foot, can't do anything for it so I rested for a few weeks. Tried to tape the toes together but the pain is awful. Struggled to put shoes on for a while when the toe was swollen but its reduced a bit at this stage. Was thinking of taking a strong nurofen before the race, is that being stupid? I'm aiming for a 3.35- 3:50 race as I have never been fitter and might Not get this chance again

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Big question first, is it too late at this stage to buy a new pair of runners for next Sunday?
    I don’t think anyone would advise new runners for next week, unless your own are completely past it. Have you tried 1000 mile or CEP socks?
    Also a different lacing technique might give you more room in the front- here’s one example
    https://wiivv.com/blogs/keep-going/lacing-techniques-tailored-for-comfort-fit
    (Sorry I cant post links on my mobile!)
    I also plaster my toes and heels in Vaseline and put a plaster around my baby toes as they always seem to take a battering!
    Good luck today :)

[quote="AdrianII;108408262 Was thinking of taking a strong nurofen before the race, is that being stupid? I'm aiming for a 3.35- 3:50 race as I have never been fitter and might Not get this chance again[/quote]

What has your physio suggested? Have you checked to see if a cortisone injection would be any help? The problem with taking painkillers and running is the stress it puts on your kidneys, it’s not worth risking permanent damage.
    A physio could also tape your toe up differently - again check the link I posted above with samples on how to lace your shoes up to allow more room for your toes. I hope you get this figured out, if not try keep your fitness up and aim for a slightly later marathon - 26.2 miles is the same wherever you do it :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

aloooof wrote: »
    I'm now touch-and-go for Sunday morning, but will confirm on here tomorrow.

Not gonna make this now unfortunately, enjoy everyone looks like a nice morning for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

AdrianII wrote: »
    That's awful Themadhouse's, fair play for continuing on your DCM journey.

With regard to the marathon, I suffered a injury three weeks ago. I Broke a toe on my right foot, can't do anything for it so I rested for a few weeks. Tried to tape the toes together but the pain is awful. Struggled to put shoes on for a while when the toe was swollen but its reduced a bit at this stage. Was thinking of taking a strong nurofen before the race, is that being stupid? I'm aiming for a 3.35- 3:50 race as I have never been fitter and might Not get this chance again

That's being stupid.

1. If you broke your toe, don't do the marathon at all. You will just make things worse.

2. DON'T TAKE PAINKILLERS TO RUN A RACE

You will get a chance again, there are plenty more marathons you can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Hi all,

Posting this with permission from Themadhouse.

We were thinking it would be nice to remember Georgia during DCM and here are some ideas for anybody who would like to do something.

Here is a little bit about Georgia that might give you some ideas (from Themadhouse):

‘Georgia was the girliest of girls and the bravest of girls. She loved pink and sparkles and glitter and rainbows and princesses and animals and anything else that goes with all of that! I would love to see things that remind me of her along the way. I’d be happy to have anyone put her name or in memory of etc. or a pink tutu, a crown, anything sparkly, unicorn, rainbow, wonderwoman badge.’

Skyblue suggested sparkly wristbands if we can find them. Hair bobbles, bands, anything sparkly and lets brighten up the day in memory of Georgia.

It would be lovely to see Georgia’s name or ‘in Memory of Georgia’ written on t-shirts or bibs - at the expo you can get names printed onto your bibs. Team Archie are doing it free of charge (will have a donation bucket) near the bottom of the stairs.

I know we’ll all be thinking of her and she’ll be helping her amazing mum get through those 26.2 miles.

Thank K. I'm looking forward to adding some sparkle to the streets of Dublin next Sunday in memory of Georgia and in support of her amazing Mum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Ok with just 1 week to go i think it's time to nail down our target times :eek:

To fill in this table
    Quote this post
    Add your details on a new row
    Remove the quote tags and this text

You won't know your bib number til you pick up your packs at the Expo next Friday or Saturday but we can add those then.

Bib No.|Username|Target Time|Actual Time
    |||
    |||
    |||

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

Lovely idea, will definitely add some sparkles.

Have been on rest since last week, physio appointment yesterday which wasn’t hugely optimistic given the time left until marathon. Was feeling positive but pain is worse today - would it be normal to feel worse day after physio? I’m not looking for medical advice, but it was my first time at physio so maybe this is normal? Hopefully....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

RayCun wrote: »
    That's being stupid.

1. If you broke your toe, don't do the marathon at all. You will just make things worse.

2. DON'T TAKE PAINKILLERS TO RUN A RACE

You will get a chance again, there are plenty more marathons you can do.

+1 on the painkillers bit. Most articles online suggest you can lose 3-6 litres of sweat/exhaled water during the 26.2miles. Taking ibuprofen while boderline severely dehyrdated would absolutely not be recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I've been offline the last few days so just catching up on the thread now.

Themadhouse, I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you must have gone through/be going through, but I'm so glad that running has been some comfort. I hope you have an incredible day next Sunday.

I was planning to make it to the meet up this morning but totally missed it. Didn't even get a chance to come on and let everyone know, so sorry about that. It's been a mad few days! Really sorry to have missed it as I was looking forward to meeting a few people (and the cake!) but I'll just have to look forward to the big meet up next week instead. Next week!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

|Mr. Guappa|03:59:59|
    |||
    |||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

|coogy|03:45:00|
    |||

I already filled this table out on the Dublin city marathon 28/10/2018 thread but posting it again here is definitely a psychological benefit. Feels like the more I say it, the more it will help me on the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Nice running with ye earlier folks, lovely morning and might see ye again for pints in McGrattans! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Nice running with ye earlier folks, lovely morning and might see ye again for pints in McGrattans! :)

Good turnout this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Bib No.UsernameTarget TimeActual Time
    Mr. Guappa03:59:59
    coogy03:45:00
    Helenasca 04:40:00

I'd prefer to do sub 4.30 but don't want the added pressure and bomb out at 30k

Cos 10 mins is gonna make all the difference (rolling eyes emoji)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Summerflower

Themadhouse, I am so truly sorry for your loss. I can't for a second imagine what you have gone through and are going through. You are an inspiration to us all, I am glad that you have found some comfort by continuing this training, you are so strong. I dont know you, yet my heart is breaking for you x. You are however, so ready for this and you will smash it for both you and your daughter. Your beautiful Georgia will be so proud of her mammy and she will be beside you during each step giving you strength for the entire 26.2 miles.

I am so thankfull to all of the mentors and to this boards page for getting us to this point. While most of us have never actually met, little did I realise how much this plan would connect us all especially considering we are all from different parts of the country and all with different struggles.. I do not think I could have gotten to this point without the support of you all. While like lots of people I am more of a reader of posts than a person that posts, I have however loved reading all of your journeys and feel that I have been right there with you so thank you all sincerely.

On a final note, Kellygirl, I think it is a wonderful idea to wear something in memory of Georgia, she will also be in my thoughts on Sunday x.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

coogy wrote: »
    Good turnout this morning?

10/11 maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭roosterman71

|Helenasca|04:40:00|
    |roosterman71|03:50:00|

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Clibee

Hope you all enjoyed the run this morning , sorry I couldn’t make it , but I look forward to meeting you all next week.

Thanks for all the support and advise on this thread, Ive followed it everyday since it started and I’ve learned so much.

I will most certainly wear something in memory of Georgia, she will be in all of our thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Kellygirl wrote:

Hopefully will find a sparkly wristband by next Sunday for Georgia, but I'll definitely be getting glittery nailpolish done for the day. Great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Would have loved to make the meet up this morning. Just finished reading the book Born to Run, when they all met up around the Mexican border to head to the run I have visions of you all meeting in the Phoenix Park this morning, all coming from different parts but with the same attitudes.

Question regarding pacing. If you follow a pacer do they do the exact same pace every mile throughout or do they do a negative split and allow for the first half being harder? Still torn between 3:40 pacer and 3:50 pacer

|kittyclaws|04:50:00|

I hope I didn’t break the table!

kittyclaws wrote: »
    I don’t think anyone would advise new runners for next week, unless your own are completely past it. Have you tried 1000 mile or CEP socks?
    Also a different lacing technique might give you more room in the front- here’s one example
    https://wiivv.com/blogs/keep-going/lacing-techniques-tailored-for-comfort-fit
    (Sorry I cant post links on my mobile!)
    I also plaster my toes and heels in Vaseline and put a plaster around my baby toes as they always seem to take a battering!
    Good luck today :)

Thanks for the advice (and also to Kellygirl)!

This morning didn’t go great, I think I loosened my runners a little too much, and then went too far back the other way when I stopped to try and to ghten them a little.

I’ll try a lacing technique from your link and see if I fare any better on Tuesday’s run, and I’ll be sure to stock up on Vaseline too!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

|kittyclaws|04:50:00|
    |Sann| 03:40:00|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

ariana` wrote: »
    Ok with just 1 week to go i think it's time to