Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

Doh. Can the mods delete my last post. Can not seem to delete. I knew I'd make a mess of it....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Bib No.|Username|Target Time|Actual Time
    |Mr. Guappa|03:59:59|
    |coogy|03:45:00|
    |Helenasca|04:40:00|
    |roosterman71|03:50:00|
    |kittyclaws|04:50:00|
    |sann|03:40:00|

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Aoifemcc19

I joined this months ago but only posted a few times. I was following the boards plan until things fell apart. I was going well until the end of July when I lost my 4yr old daughter in a tragic accident. I didnt run for 2 weeks. When i came back to it the RNR half was the first run. For the first few weeks back i was like a bat out of hell, needing to race, needing to push myself out of my comfort zones, needing to fight my brain. I tried to keep the training runs as reasonable as i could but struggled. I'm sure the mentors were looking at my strava wondering what in the world was i doing.
    after a few weeks i calmed my brain and the feeling of pushing myself slowed down. I got back on track and then ended up with a niggle in my knee at the end of an 18mile LSR. I managed to catch an IT issue before it got too bad thankfully. My knee is getting there with physio, strength coach and doing what im told! Knee cap is still slightly pulled out of place but its a lot better than it was.
    I decided not to run the dublin half, instead focused on getting to the 3/4 marathon in Longwood which thankfully worked. That race was a huge boost for me, i knew i could do DCM. The 3/4 was slow and steady and knee held up great, from mile 14 i felt strong enough to push a little and over each mile I did, finishing strong with no pain.
    I began this journey aiming for 4;30 and i feel strong enough to make an attempt and keep that aim.

I have been following the thread all along and just wanted to say thanks to the mentors for all the information and advice they have given here.
    I wont see you tomorrow in the park, i did my last LSR this morning.

One more week left in this journey I for one am ready to do this, for me and for my daughter.

There are no words adequate enough to tell you how amazingly strong you are!!! To not only lace on the runners but to make it to DCM starting line! Your beautiful sparkly daughter will be there every mile with you and beaming with pride at you coming over the finish line!! You are amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Summerflower

|Summerflower|04:29:59|

Sorry couldn’t get my arse out of bed for 8.30 in the park before matches, the rest instruction being followed to the letter! Hope the 8 miles was fun!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 ChippyRun

|Username|Target Time|Actual Time
    |ChippyRun|04:30:00|

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

|Chippyrun|04:30:00|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I have no idea how to work the predicted time table. Can I be added please. 4:29:59

|Themadhouse|04:29:59|

|Aoifemcc19|04:45:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

|Aoifemcc19|04:45:00|
    |Chabsey|03:15:00

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

|imknackered|03:28:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

Like many, my thoughts go out to Themadhouse. It does bring into perspective the trials and tribulations we feel we are going through to make it to the big day.

It's been a while since I posted so a bit of a longer update. Week 16 of training ended up being a busy one after going away for the weekend of Week 15. Started that week fitting in the long run in (taking the day off to fit it in had some people in work given me odd looks!). The rest of the weekdays saw me squeezing in the rest of the mid-week runs. I made a point of going a little be slower than usual as I was conscious of the fact that the week was going to be a busy one with the stacked runs. Everything went to plan, taking the Friday off before fitting in the last long LSR. I did this one with the local running group which worked a treat. An early start on that cold and damp Saturday morning, running with the group I found kept my pace in check. Their running speed is ideal for what I’ve been using for my long run pace. Running with the group helps to alleviate the boredom. After a long week, I think I might of struggled with that long run had I done it solo.

I have to admit, I did enjoy finishing my final 8K/5-mile run. With the darker nights I have been doing the same 8K/5 Mile ad nauseum. It’s a nice route and all… but when you are doing it twice a week for several weeks it was just getting a bit tiresome. It just happened to be the best lit route I had from one end of town to the other!

So, Week 16 was busy but I got it through it in great nick. I was delighted to get back onto schedule as well ahead of the final two weeks. Week 17 was a relative doddle. Did the pair of 6.5K’s on Monday and Tuesday. Had a visit to the physio on Wednesday for a final check-up to make sure everything was okay. Got the all-clear. Physio was very happy with the condition of my legs after the massage. A tad tight, but that was to be expected given the accumulated mileage. No knots or anything like that so was delighted. In hindsight, I probably could have gotten away without the session. However, it was good to have the reassurance that I am good to go.

Admittedly, it felt odd to wait until Friday for the third run of the week. All the runs during Week 17 I definitely felt a need to slow myself down. I would be toddling along, look at the watch and see myself ahead of where I was supposed to be. Felt particularly conscious of the advice given here about not taking too much out of myself. Admittedly, didn’t always work on each run – but I did work hard to stay slow.

Saturday saw my final long run. I broke this into two runs for those looking at me on Strava. A gentle stroll down to the outskirts of the town (which took a little longer than I thought. Had it pegged at 3K – turned out to be nearly 4.5K). Stopped the watch, a quick rest and off again. The rationale for that was I wanted to get a race profile put together for the Gingerbread Run that will be happening in November. So have that pocketed ahead of that in November to share with those I run with.

For the next week, it’s a matter of staying healthy and keeping it easy. I’ll be wrapping up, particularly as I work with kids to avoid any last minute colds and the like. Getting a bit anxious having woken up with a slightly stuffy nose for the last two mornings! Taking every pre-caution ahead of Sunday! Starting to put my check-list together of what I need to do ahead of the day. I have the Friday booked off to chill ahead of it and look to pick up the number then, rather than Saturday. Need to get my marathon top taking in slightly – just goes to show how some of the weigh I have shed on this journey.

I've started to get a few things sorted now. Nails cut ahead of all that advice. I also got my marathon haircut sorted (hopefully sleek and aerodynamic). Gear is selected and laid out. I have two pairs of shoes broken in just in case I have a last minute change of heart there. I have family travelling up on the day so I have somewhere to store my gear. Keeping everything else to a tee as it has been the last few weeks to avoid any unknowns.

To quote Red Squadron as they attacked the Death Star trench…”Almost there….”

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

|tbukela|03:38:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

|Naked Lepper|04:15:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

MickOB94 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice (and also to Kellygirl)!

This morning didn’t go great, I think I loosened my runners a little too much, and then went too far back the other way when I stopped to try and to ghten them a little.

I’ll try a lacing technique from your link and see if I fare any better on Tuesday’s run, and I’ll be sure to stock up on Vaseline too!

Any chance you are seeing a physio or sports masseuse this week that could help?

Would have loved to make the meet up this morning. Just finished reading the book Born to Run, when they all met up around the Mexican border to head to the run I have visions of you all meeting in the Phoenix Park this morning, all coming from different parts but with the same attitudes.

Question regarding pacing. If you follow a pacer do they do the exact same pace every mile throughout or do they do a negative split and allow for the first half being harder? Still torn between 3:40 pacer and 3:50 pacer

They do even pacing throughout so whichever pacer you go with you need to use them as a guide really. Allow them to pull away from you for the hills and drags and reel them in for the easier parts. The first 7 miles are the most difficult but won’t feel it on fresh legs so you are better off letting them go and reel them in after that. There’s a big difference between 3:40 and 3:50 by the way! What about picking somewhere in the middle and create a paceband for yourself using the various links recommended here already - for course specific pace bands that you can set up as a negative split etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭yido1882

|yido1882|03:59:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

|yido1882|03:59:00
    |cullenswood|03:29:59

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MickOB94

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Any chance you are seeing a physio or sports masseuse this week that could help?

A friend suggested that to me the other day, I'm going to have a look around to see if there's anything good near work (I work in Dublin city centre, so I should have a good few options to pick from).

Anyone have any recommendations for a sports massage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

They do even pacing throughout so whichever pacer you go with you need to use them as a guide really. Allow them to pull away from you for the hills and drags and reel them in for the easier parts. The first 7 miles are the most difficult but won’t feel it on fresh legs so you are better off letting them go and reel them in after that. There’s a big difference between 3:40 and 3:50 by the way! What about picking somewhere in the middle and create a paceband for yourself using the various links recommended here already - for course specific pace bands that you can set up as a negative split etc.

Thanks for this. Useful to know. I've to think about this and make a final decision. My worry is if I go with 3.50 pacer I have too much ground to make up in the second half. I think 3.40 pacer will be managable. I would take a 3.45 pacer if there was one but not going to go for a pacing band at this stage. I know the advice is going to be go conservative :o

A friend suggested that to me the other day, I'm going to have a look around to see if there's anything good near work (I work in Dublin city centre, so I should have a good few options to pick from).

Anyone have any recommendations for a sports massage?

You could find it challenging to get an appointment this week so get straight onto to it tomorrow morning I’d say. I’m not from Dublin so can’t help with recommendations.
    Thanks for this. Useful to know. I've to think about this and make a final decision. My worry is if I go with 3.50 pacer I have too much ground to make up in the second half. I think 3.40 pacer will be managable. I would take a 3.45 pacer if there was one but not going to go for a pacing band at this stage. I know the advice is going to be go conservative :o

You can choose how conservative you want the bands to be. You can select the levels depending on the website you use. Anyway, maybe consider a 1-2 minute negative split. It’s much better to conserve your energy at the start and even if you couldn’t pick up the pace you’d get the 3:43/44 whereas if you blow up and end up walking you could add on 5 mins per mile at the end and end up closer to the 4 hour mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

effibear wrote: »
    Lovely idea, will definitely add some sparkles.

Have been on rest since last week, physio appointment yesterday which wasn’t hugely optimistic given the time left until marathon. Was feeling positive but pain is worse today - would it be normal to feel worse day after physio? I’m not looking for medical advice, but it was my first time at physio so maybe this is normal? Hopefully....

Yep very normal to feel tender after physio and also a good idea to rest for a day or so as they usually give your muscles a good going over :)
    Thanks for the advice (and also to Kellygirl)!

This morning didn’t go great, I think I loosened my runners a little too much, and then went too far back the other way when I stopped to try and to ghten them a little.

I’ll try a lacing technique from your link and see if I fare any better on Tuesday’s run, and I’ll be sure to stock up on Vaseline too!

Do try the lace technique for your next run, for now, ice it and strap it up if you can see a physio as well
    I have no idea how to work the predicted time table. Can I be added please. 4:29:59

I won't go on to much but just to echo everyone else, you are truly amazing and I will be supporting you all I, unfortunately, did not recover in time from my injury to make the start line this year but I will also be wearing something sparkly for Georgina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Absolutely it is ;) Would you consider just pacing yourself to 3:45 - as Kellygirl says below you could come away with 3:42/3:43 rather than risking blowing up and finishing with a time you're disappointed with?

You can choose how conservative you want the bands to be. You can select the levels depending on the website you use. Anyway, maybe consider a 1-2 minute negative split. It’s much better to conserve your energy at the start and even if you couldn’t pick up the pace you’d get the 3:43/44 whereas if you blow up and end up walking you could add on 5 mins per mile at the end and end up closer to the 4 hour mark.

START SMART is the best advice we can give to all of you... Anyone who runs the first 7 miles slower than their target pace will give themselves the best chance of hitting (and possibly exceeding) their target pace - it may sound counter intuitive but it's true :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Only getting around to posting now, mad busy day.

Was a great morning today, really lovely to meet a few of you beautiful folk :)

Pretty much identical to last year, cracking morning, great company, great cake and coffee. We even sat in the same seats :P

Can't wait to meet you all again at mile 27, McGrattans.

ariana` wrote: »
    Absolutely it is ;) Would you consider just pacing yourself to 3:45 - as Kellygirl says below you could come away with 3:42/3:43 rather than risking blowing up and finishing with a time you're disappointed with?

START SMART is the best advice we can give to all of you... Anyone who runs the first 7 miles slower than their target pace will give themselves the best chance of hitting (and possibly exceeding) their target pace - it may sound counter intuitive but it's true :)

Thank you both for advice. Will have a good think about it before doing anything too reckless :P

Forgive me if I missed any previous posts that might have given this information but have you a recently raced half time? Where is your target time coming from? I'd not say be conservative but be sensible...an aggressive time should still be targeted off a negative split.

Thank you both for advice. Will have a good think about it before doing anything too reckless :P

This would cost you about €6 I think. You can input every variable and play with it to your hearts content until you get a pacing strategy that suits you. http://mymarathonpace.com/Pacing_Spreadsheets.html

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Forgive me if I missed any previous posts that might have given this information but have you a recently raced half time? Where is your target time coming from? I'd not say be conservative but be sensible...an aggressive time should still be targeted off a negative split.

2 hours and 4 seconds for 15 mile cork to cobh race there about 3 weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG