Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Aaagh why can I not do the table correctly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

2 hours and 4 seconds for 15 mile cork to cobh race there about 3 weeks ago.

Ok...I get where you are coming from. 3:40 is a bit ambitious and I honestly think 3:50 should be well within your range. Had you much left in the tank after the 15 miler? Are you prepared to risk hitting the wall to run 3:45? I think you should run with the 3:50 pacers until Cromwellsfort Road and then see how you feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Week 18 - can you believe it??!!! This time next week everyone of you will be marathon runners :D

Here's the plan for this week! The same advice as previous weeks stands - if you're not feeling 100% (niggles, head colds etc.) then rest up! Watch your pace on the runs this week - they are short and it will be very easy to speed on them, don't blow all your hard work by over cooking your runs this week - save it for next Sunday ;)

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun
    NNH1|rest|3m easy|4m easy|2m easy|rest|rest|RACE!!
    Boards|rest, cross or 2m rec|2m easy|1m easy, 3m pace, 1m easy|3m easy|rest|2m easy|RACE!!

If you haven't already made a list of everything you need to pack/organise then do it now! Here are some of the things to put on the list

- Race outfit is clean and ready to go
    - Any additional race kit - waist belt, sun visor, sunglasses etc.
    - Body glide if you use it
    - Throw away clothes to keep warm beforehand
    - Race fuel & hydration
    - Evening before meal (you may need to book a restaurant if you're staying in Dublin over-night?)
    - Pre-race breakfast (if you're staying in a hotel you may want to check if they provide breakfast or bring your own - porridge pots are very handy for this)
    - Pre-race snack (something to eat in the half hour before you start)
    - Book bus/train if you're using it to get to Dublin on Saturday
    - Check and double check public transport times if you're using it
    - Cut your toe nails :eek:
    - Pin down arrangements for your supporters to see you on the course

For this week the usual advice applies - rest/sleep as best you can. You most likely won't sleep very well next Saturday night, don't worry about this, it is normal, it is more important that you have slept well for the couple of nights before that! Eat well - allow yourself a few extra calories this week, no need to gorge and try to keep it to healthy simple carbs (white bread, pasta, bagels, crackers) but a few extra calories won't go astray to top up the glycogen stores. I suggest you cut down on fiber from about Thursday/Friday onward and add a few salty foods such as Tuc crackers or pretzels! Hydrate well also over the course of the week also especially from Thursday/Friday onward - if you're someone who used electrolyte tablets the day before your long runs then do this again now.

Have a good week folks - keep posting especially if you have any last minute worries or panic, you most definitely will find that you are not alone and you never know who you will help by posting :)

Bib No.|Username|Target Time|Actual Time
    |Mr. Guappa|03:59:59|
    |coogy|03:45:00|
    |Helenasca|04:40:00|
    |roosterman71|03:50:00|
    |kittyclaws|04:50:00|
    |sann|03:40:00|
    |Summerflower|04:29:59|
    |Chippyrun|04:30:00|
    |Themadhouse|04:29:59|
    |Aoifemcc19|04:45:00|
    |Chabsey|03:15:00|
    |imknackered|03:28:00|
    |tbukela|03:38:00|
    |Naked Lepper|04:15:00|
    |yido1882|03:59:00|
    |cullenswood|03:29:59|
    |ReeReeG|03:49:30|

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Possibly a silly question. (make that definitely)

I know the whole try nothing new on race day thing but...

During any of my longer runs I haven't felt hungry (for actual food) but so many people have mentioned fig rolls and jaffa cakes and fun size bars and what not else. Should I bring some with me just in case I do need them in the last 10k. What harm could a fig roll or two do if I haven't had one before. Or should I just avoid them full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Ok...I get where you are coming from. 3:40 is a bit ambitious and I honestly think 3:50 should be well within your range. Had you much left in the tank after the 15 miler? Are you prepared to risk hitting the wall to run 3:45? I think you should run with the 3:50 pacers until Cromwellsfort Road and then see how you feel.

Felt great after 15miler. Felt I could have lasted longer or upped the pace sooner as the last 7 miles were all under 7.55 and last 3 under 7.30. Obviously recognize I can't do that for 26.2 miles on the other hand. Definitely prepared to risk the wall. Have 16 weeks of approx 45-52miles a week training done so might as well risk it. I fully intend to heed the advice to take first 7-10miles slower though, just trying to figure out how much slower. You three mentors have done a great job of drilling that into us about not starting out like the clappers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Thank you skyblue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

ariana` wrote: »
    Week 18 - can you believe it??!!! This time next week everyone of you will be marathon runners :D

Here's the plan for this week! The same advice as previous weeks stands - if you're not feeling 100% (niggles, head colds etc.) then rest up! Watch your pace on the runs this week - they are short and it will be very easy to speed on them, don't blow all your hard work by over cooking your runs this week - save it for next Sunday ;)

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun
    NNH1|rest|3m easy|4m easy|2m easy|rest|rest|RACE!!
    Boards|rest, cross or 2m rec|2m easy|1m easy, 3m pace, 1m easy|3m easy|rest|2m easy|RACE!!

If you haven't already made a list of everything you need to pack/organise then do it now! Here are some of the things to put on the list

- Race outfit is clean and ready to go
    - Any additional race kit - waist belt, sun visor, sunglasses etc.
    - Body glide if you use it
    - Throw away clothes to keep warm beforehand
    - Race fuel & hydration
    - Evening before meal (you may need to book a restaurant if you're staying in Dublin over-night?)
    - Pre-race breakfast (if you're staying in a hotel you may want to check if they provide breakfast or bring your own - porridge pots are very handy for this)
    - Pre-race snack (something to eat in the half hour before you start)
    - Book bus/train if you're using it to get to Dublin on Saturday
    - Check and double check public transport times if you're using it
    - Cut your toe nails :eek:
    - Pin down arrangements for your supporters to see you on the course

For this week the usual advice applies - rest/sleep as best you can. You most likely won't sleep very well next Saturday night, don't worry about this, it is normal, it is more important that you have slept well for the couple of nights before that! Eat well - allow yourself a few extra calories this week, no need to gorge and try to keep it to healthy simple carbs (white bread, pasta, bagels, crackers) but a few extra calories won't go astray to top up the glycogen stores. I suggest you cut down on fiber from about Thursday/Friday onward and add a few salty foods such as Tuc crackers or pretzels! Hydrate well also over the course of the week also especially from Thursday/Friday onward - if you're someone who used electrolyte tablets the day before your long runs then do this again now.

Have a good week folks - keep posting especially if you have any last minute worries or panic, you most definitely will find that you are not alone and you never know who you will help by posting :)

Thanks ariana! Can't quite believe it's almost upon us!!

Felt great after 15miler. Felt I could have lasted longer or upped the pace sooner as the last 7 miles were all under 7.55 and last 3 under 7.30. Obviously recognize I can't do that for 26.2 miles on the other hand. Definitely prepared to risk the wall. Have 16 weeks of approx 45-52miles a week training done so might as well risk it. I fully intend to heed the advice to take first 7-10miles slower though, just trying to figure out how much slower. You three mentors have done a great job of drilling that into us about not starting out like the clappers :D

Despite what it might come across like I don't intend to be a killjoy or take the competitive challenge out of the day. You paid your entry fee and should run it as you please. I wouldn't narrow it down to a slow first 7/10 miles and then speed up. It's more complex than that... Definitely be a few minutes behind target after 7 miles. Miles 8 and 9 are downhill so you will claw back a bit there. Miles 11,12,13 and 14 are up and down and it's still best not to be chasing time. After that the course is your friend if you have conserved energy.

Getting in before the curfew!!! :D

Ok, I know they say that there's no such thing as a silly question but this may be the exception to the rule.........

I've printed of my own pace band for Sunday (haven't decided yet whether or not to use it on the day) but there's just something I want to have clear in my own head.

Obviously, the breakdown represents each of the 26.1 miles. With the running watch, the pace per mile that is displayed is an average time based on your speed over that distance.
    What I wanted to ask was if any of you who've used pace bands before found it difficult to keep to the time that appears on their pace bands for each mile. I'm sure a few seconds out won't make a huge amount of difference on the day?

Sorry if this question makes zero sense.........:confused:

• Advertisement

Helenasca wrote: »

During any of my longer runs I haven't felt hungry (for actual food) but so many people have mentioned fig rolls and jaffa cakes and fun size bars and what not else. Should I bring some with me just in case I do need them in the last 10k. What harm could a fig roll or two do if I haven't had one before. Or should I just avoid them full stop.

If you can fit them in your belt and you think you might like them, bring them. If you eat properly on the days leading up to DCM and use gels properly then you probably won't 'need' treats like that but you might still enjoy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

I'd like to offer advice about target times. For people who are stressing out about it.

Pick a soft target.

If you feel you 'might' be able for a 3:45, target 3:50/55. If 4:40 seems difficult but doable, target 4:50 etc..etc..

We were told this last year over and over again, 'you won't get another chance to run your first marathon, you only ever run your first marathon once in your life'

I paid lip service to it if I'm honest in the weeks leading up, had crazy notions. It finally sank in though and I picked a target that was about 3 mins behind what I felt I was ready for.

It worked out absolutely perfect, I hit my target, high fived people everywhere, loved every single minute (well, almost :)). Walked away with an unbelievable memory of a really really special day. Felt like Christmas morning waking that day, and felt like Christmas Eve going to bed that night such was the rush.

Endorphins were burst loose, they sizzled for weeks.

Don't risk all that beauty by chasing a time you will smash next year.

coogy wrote: »

Ok, I know they say that there's no such thing as a silly question but this may be the exception to the rule.........

I've printed of my own pace band for Sunday (haven't decided yet whether or not to use it on the day) but there's just something I want to have clear in my own head.

Obviously, the breakdown represents each of the 26.1 miles. With the running watch, the pace per mile that is displayed is an average time based on your speed over that distance.
    What I wanted to ask was if any of you who've used pace bands before found it difficult to keep to the time that appears on their pace bands for each mile. I'm sure a few seconds out won't make a huge amount of difference on the day?

It's not to hard to stick to the pace if it's realistic to your abilities...it's obviously harder if you are really pushing your limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

coogy wrote: »

I changed my settings on my watch to have both average pace and actual pace on the screen as well as time and distance for this reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

|Bucketybuck|03:59:99|

In terms of pacing I might be lucky in that my target time is already pretty conservative (McMillan says I could go for a 3.40 but my target is simply to go sub 4), as such I think that if I go out at my goal pace I am already running well within myself and so don't need to worry too much about keeping it any slower early on.

I know I could be targeting 3.50 or something like that, but to be honest whether its 3.45 or 3.55 makes little difference to me really, so I have gone with the conservative option to hopefully make sure I give myself the best chance of getting it.

So I'll probably be going for even splits, my aim is to keep it steady until the top of Roebuck hill, where if everything has gone well I'll then hopefully just let myself go and pick up the pace for the last 5k.

Thats the plan anyway. If I run within myself the whole way and then my pace still drops around Clonskeagh road thats going to be a real dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Need assistance updating the table- 4:15 please- but still not sure what condition I’ll arrive at the start line in! I’ll not be running all week to give the foot a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Helenasca wrote: »

Definitely bring something.

One thing I took away from doing DCM was that while the Cliff Bloks were great and did their job, come the last 10k I was absolutely sick of them. I remember knowing it was time to take something and having the Bloks in my hand, but just not wanting to put them in my mouth, not wanting that taste and texture any more.

I would have killed for a fig roll or Snickers or flapjack at that stage, for anything different to more water and Cliff Bloks!

I haven't decided what yet, but I'm going to have some little bar in my back pocket this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

|Dealerz2.0|4:15:00|

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

One thing I took away from doing DCM was that while the Cliff Bloks were great and did their job, come the last 10k I was absolutely sick of them. I remember knowing it was time to take something and having the Bloks in my hand, but just not wanting to put them in my mouth, not wanting that taste and texture any more.
    skyblue46 wrote:
    If you can fit them in your belt and you think you might like them, bring them. If you eat properly on the days leading up to DCM and use gels properly then you probably won't 'need' treats like that but you might still enjoy them.

Chrs for that. Into the belt they go : )

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Lazare wrote: »
    |Dealerz2.0|4:15:00|
    |Strawberry Swan|4:30:00|

Gonna stick with my original target time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

|Pilot1087|04:40:00|

I think I'm going to go with the 04:40 pacers and see how I feel. Would ideally like to break 04:30 but don't want to put too much pressure on myself. I'll see how I feel around 18/19 miles and if there is anything extra in the tank I'll push on.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It's not to hard to stick to the pace if it's realistic to your abilities...it's obviously harder if you are really pushing your limits.

Oh, the pitfalls of being a novice!!

I think with me, that's the root cause of much of my indecision/uncertainty.
    With my limited race experience it's difficult to say with absolute confidence whether or not a chosen target is achievable.
    Of course, I know enough not to be foolish but it's not enough to stop myself from constantly second-guessing.

Sorry for harping on, like I mentioned a while back, I'm a born worrier so I'm pretty sure all this is just me fretting unnecessarily.

(argh)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Could some kind soul please add me to the table? I just know I'd mess it up.
    4hrs 30 minutes, he who dares, wins eh?

Thank you.

After dcm what's the general guideline for getting back to regular running? A day or two off and then back out there?

Weather is looking great really though getting a bit colder according to the forecast.

I picked up 2 pairs of gloves for €3 in Dunne’s the other day and happy to discard them en route if I don’t need them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Thank you.

After dcm what's the general guideline for getting back to regular running? A day or two off and then back out there?
    I’ll be taking 2 weeks off running

|Pilot1087|04:40:00|
    |Applegirl26|04:30:00|

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Thank you.

10-14 days of no running. 3-4 weeks of no serious efforts. That's what my physio advised anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Finally caught up. @Themadhouse I am in absolute awe of your strength. So sorry for your loss and I will be thinking of you on her Birthday on Sunday.

I'm very appreciative of the person who shared the blogpost from a fellow slow runner. Things I'm anxious about are the roads reopening, having to move to paths, and people walking the reverse course home so this gave me an idea of what to expect.

Still unsure as to whether to do a yoga session on Friday morning before heading in to get my number so if any of the mentors has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

The buzz here is unreal, especially as I'm organising 2 busloads for our club so it feels like I'm part of something bigger. I hope that you are all resting up as much as possible!

PS: Have already set out my gear washed and packed. :eek:

Thank you.

It depends on how you feel really I think as to how soon you are ready to run but all easy running either way for a couple of weeks. Cross training would be good too. If there’s a Parkrun near you everybody will be there in their DCM finisher’s tops the following week.
    Eoineo wrote: »
    I'm very appreciative of the person who shared the blogpost from a fellow slow runner. Things I'm anxious about are the roads reopening, having to move to paths, and people walking the reverse course home so this gave me an idea of what to expect.

Still unsure as to whether to do a yoga session on Friday morning before heading in to get my number so if any of the mentors has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

The buzz here is unreal, especially as I'm organising 2 busloads for our club so it feels like I'm part of something bigger. I hope that you are all resting up as much as possible!

PS: Have already set out my gear washed and packed. :eek:

I don’t do yoga myself but as long as it’s not in any way strenuous or leaving you with sore muscles than I can’t see any harm. Just gentle stretching I’d say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Humming and hawwing between 4:30 and 4:20, so decided to split the difference.