Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

If it's showing up as one of your clubs then you have been added

Thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I can see you there (I assume it’s you anyway). What makes you think it’s not working?

Oh, nothing really. I'm just getting used to the app I suppose, I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to be seeing. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭healy1835

Lidl have their running socks back in store. 3 quid a pop, stock up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I did nice run/LSR on Sunday morning.....man it was warm :rolleyes:!!

I have switched over to electrolyte tablets and good auld H20 in recent years and ditched the sports drinks and I have to say I feel a lot better afterwards.

I still use sports drinks such as Lucozade for the odd race day for a bit of a sugar hit, but in general I am finding that the electrolyte drinks are much easier on the stomach.

Now is a good time to get your hydration tactics in order on your LSR's as you will be able to find out what works for you in prepp for the big day.

I personally use HIGH5 tablets, but others are good too (Nunn, ALDI/LIDL brands), much cheaper than buying expensive sports drinks as well!

#lowcostrunning :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

smashiner wrote: »
    I did nice run/LSR on Sunday morning.....man it was warm :rolleyes:!!

I have switched over to electrolyte tablets and good auld H20 in recent years and ditched the sports drinks and I have to say I feel a lot better afterwards.

I still use sports drinks such as Lucozade for the odd race day for a bit of a sugar hit, but in general I am finding that the electrolyte drinks are much easier on the stomach.

Now is a good time to get your hydration tactics in order on your LSR's as you will be able to find out what works for you in prepp for the big day.

I personally use HIGH5 tablets, but others are good too (Nunn, ALDI/LIDL brands), much cheaper than buying expensive sports drinks as well!

#lowcostrunning :D
    Yeah sports drinks are out the window for me too, although when you are gasping after a race, an ice cold lucozade hits the spot :pac:

The HIGH5 Zero Tabs are my preference too, have tried the Nunn ones and although they are nice, the flavours in the HIGH5 are much better.

If people find it hard getting water on board, I used these a lot last year to keep the levels up without getting bored. Very little in them, and a lot of flavours! Just pop it into a 2L or 500ml bottle.

https://bodyfirst.ie/product-tag/bolero/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Tough route for anyone doing Rock n Roll 1/2

https://twitter.com/RnRDublinHalf/status/1006544840799158275

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

https://twitter.com/RnRDublinHalf/status/1006544840799158275

50 quid plus fees is madness for the half!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ChippyRun

Yes I'm doing this one, very hilly new course. Knockmaroon Hill a bit of a climb in a car never mind a run! 8.30 start also a bit awkward. Popes visit means they can't use the park apparently. Should be interesting !

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Did the 10k into the office again this morning

Found the first few k tough as I was a bit stiff from cycling yesterday but once I loosened up and fell into a rhythm it was quite comfortable

Around the same overall time as last week but due to the slow start and feeling good I accidentally did a negative split :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Did the 10k into the office again this morning

Found the first few k tough as I was a bit stiff from cycling yesterday but once I loosened up and fell into a rhythm it was quite comfortable

Around the same overall time as last week but due to the slow start and feeling good I accidentally did a negative split :)

Hi NyOmnishambles and welcome to the group. It wasn't clear to me from your opening post when you followed the boards plan and if you completed the marathon at the end or if injury get in the way? As KellyGirl already said don't worry about times, just keep everything nice and slow, a pace you can hold a conversation at or if you want to be more scientific you can use the McMillan pace calculator. You also mentioned the treadmill in your introduction - are you still using it or doing all your runs on the road now?

For those you are still struggling to slow down their runs - last yr when i was struggling I used to tell myself that by running slower i was getting the added benefit of spending longer on my feet running and that would all help come marathon day when i was going to have spend 4 plus hours putting one foot in front of the other! Whatever works ;)

It's great to see some of you signing up for the race series half. For anyone whom it doesn't suit it would be a good idea to try to find another half on or close to the same weekend. We can help you adjust the plan if it's not the exact same weekend. It's a good idea to do at least 1 long race (10m or half) in the build up to the marathon, you can use it to practice your race plan for the marathon - wear the same clothes, eat the same breakfast etc and there are many other benefits which we will discuss nearer to the time.

On another note, just a gentle reminder that the advice on here applies to everyone! Whether you're a 7 min/mile runner or a 12 min/mile runner, if you're a novice marathon runner then the advice applies to you. If you don't consider yourself to be a novice marathon runner then there are other threads for improvers and such likes. And please don't be shy about posting in reply to each other - you never know what small thing you might say that can make a difference to someone else :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Alorra

Hello all

I have been watching and reading (and trying to get the key lessons and experiences into my running, thanks all) these last few weeks, I signed up a few months ago to DCM, training has been light to date though. This will be my first marathon and so adding my name to the list here too.

I have done the race series before over the years with odd other races thrown in.

This is the first time I am going to use a race specific race program and give it time, rather than being very adhoc about training.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

The last race I did was the half marathon in Melbourne 1.44 (October), this is very flat and I had someone who was much fitter than I run with me to do this. ( I will take it though :) )

The other half's over the years would be in the 1.45 to 1.50 mark.

5k 21.08 (park runs)
    10k 46.53

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    3 days at a stretch.

Anything from 15k to 40k a week depending on what I have on/ laziness etc

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Going to aim for a 3.45 to 4.00

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

5-6 days - Hoping the boards one seen as I am signing up here. and some good classes like Pilates or something else.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Commitment - Not giving it the time it needs to do this successfully and injuries.

Why are you running this marathon?

it is time to get off the fence and stop looking at other people do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

Would I be ok to split some of the easy runs on the boards plan eg the 4/5 miles on a Tuesday?

I was thinking of commuting to work running those runs but the distance would be split between morning and evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hi All, we are going to try to keep the Strava group to just members of this thread. Therefore I will be doing a tidy up of it.

Can people pm with me with their Strava username so I can ensure you remain in the group? If I delete anybody by accident feel free to pm me to add you again.

Also, if you want to join the group, please also pm here on boards when you submit the join request so we can therefore add you?

We have people requesting to join but need to make sure they are members of this thread also.

Thanks a million.

effibear wrote: »
    Would I be ok to split some of the easy runs on the boards plan eg the 4/5 miles on a Tuesday?

I was thinking of commuting to work running those runs but the distance would be split between morning and evening.

Personally I think you’d need to be doing those miles altogether to be getting the aerobic benefit from them. Could you do them as additional miles and maybe do that Tuesday run on a Monday for example. All easy running?

Can people pm with me with their Strava username so I can ensure you remain in the group?

Can we have a non disclosure agreement in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

ariana` wrote: »
    Hi NyOmnishambles and welcome to the group. It wasn't clear to me from your opening post when you followed the boards plan and if you completed the marathon at the end or if injury get in the way? As KellyGirl already said don't worry about times, just keep everything nice and slow, a pace you can hold a conversation at or if you want to be more scientific you can use the McMillan pace calculator. You also mentioned the treadmill in your introduction - are you still using it or doing all your runs on the road now?

Hi ariana

Injury got the better of me unfortunately, I had completed the longest run on the Boards plan so was confident that I could get round but got injured doing the half and the recovery period put me out

I will follow the boards plan again as it really works and I have confidence in it

The treadmill was to get my fitness up to feel confident in going out on the road, my training will all be on the road
    For those you are still struggling to slow down their runs - last yr when i was struggling I used to tell myself that by running slower i was getting the added benefit of spending longer on my feet running and that would all help come marathon day when i was going to have spend 4 plus hours putting one foot in front of the other! Whatever works ;)

That is the way I treat it too, time on the feet is a huge part of it I feel

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Griff75

It’s almost a month since I posted in here originally and unfortunately I’m on my 3rd set of antibiotics in the last 6 weeks! I feel like my running fitness has fallen away altogether and I’ve barely run 20 miles since the start of May let alone worrying about 20 miles a week before starting a plan. I’m not due to finish current medication until next Wednesday (strep throat) so any tips for easing back into things before the end of June?

Can we have a non disclosure agreement in place?

In what respect BrownBinMan?

If you mean I’m terms of me knowing people’s real names then I won’t be sharing that info with anybody (other than Ariana and SkyBlue).

It’s purely to keep the Strava group to this group if possible.

Griff75 wrote: »
    It’s almost a month since I posted in here originally and unfortunately I’m on my 3rd set of antibiotics in the last 6 weeks! I feel like my running fitness has fallen away altogether and I’ve barely run 20 miles since the start of May let alone worrying about 20 miles a week before starting a plan. I’m not due to finish current medication until next Wednesday (strep throat) so any tips for easing back into things before the end of June?

Try not to worry Griff. Why don’t you get out and just do some really easy runs for the next week or so and ease yourself back into it. No pressure at all. I would say go at about 50% of you 5km pace so 12 min mile of you run 5km at an 8min mile.

Hope you are sorted now and fully better.

In what respect BrownBinMan?

If you mean I’m terms of me knowing people’s real names then I won’t be sharing that info with anybody (other than Ariana and SkyBlue).

It’s purely to keep the Strava group to this group if possible.

Was only joking, don't worry. :) Will DM now regardless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

For those you are still struggling to slow down their runs - last yr when i was struggling I used to tell myself that by running slower i was getting the added benefit of spending longer on my feet running and that would all help come marathon day when i was going to have spend 4 plus hours putting one foot in front of the other! Whatever works

I find that running with an MP3 player with slower songs on a self created album (Meatloaf/Foo Fighters/other 'Dad' Rock Songs ;)) tends to slow me down. I am so going to do this to avoid injury this year, as I now realise that getting to the start line in one piece is a big part of the 'Journey'.....sorry....closes the 'Doors' behind him and leaves!!

Here I go again on my own.....going down the only road I've ever know...:pac::D:D:D

Too much sugar at lunchtime.......

Was only joking, don't worry. :) Will DM now regardless

Thought so but people could be wary too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

As kellygirl said it would be much more beneficial to do the complete mileage in one go. Could you bus it to or from work and make a little detour on your run commute in or out to bring it up to the distance you are looking to do?

Alorra wrote: »
    Hello all

I have been watching and reading (and trying to get the key lessons and experiences into my running, thanks all) these last few weeks, I signed up a few months ago to DCM, training has been light to date though. This will be my first marathon and so adding my name to the list here too.

I have done the race series before over the years with odd other races thrown in.

This is the first time I am going to use a race specific race program and give it time, rather than being very adhoc about training.

The last race I did was the half marathon in Melbourne 1.44 (October), this is very flat and I had someone who was much fitter than I run with me to do this. ( I will take it though :) )

The other half's over the years would be in the 1.45 to 1.50 mark.

5k 21.08 (park runs)
    10k 46.53

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    3 days at a stretch.

Anything from 15k to 40k a week depending on what I have on/ laziness etc

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Going to aim for a 3.45 to 4.00

5-6 days - Hoping the boards one seen as I am signing up here. and some good classes like Pilates or something else.

Commitment - Not giving it the time it needs to do this successfully and injuries.

it is time to get off the fence and stop looking at other people do it.

Welcome! I have to say you most definitely have all the building blocks in place to hit your goals. Sticking to the broad outline of the boards plan and running 5/6 days a week sounds perfect.

Griff75 wrote: »

Hi Griff, sorry to hear you've been struck with so much illness but listen, better now than August-October! Hopefully you'll be fighting fit in no time but in the mean time don't stress about the missed weeks - no point chasing or crying over lost mile. Do what you can in the next 10 days (good advise from KG below, keep everything extra extra slow and easy so as not to put any extra stress on a body which is already struggling to fight illness) but getting healthy is your most important task, right! Once the plan starts if you are struggling in the early weeks we can adjust but i think you'll be fine, just get yourself well enough first :)
    Try not to worry Griff. Why don’t you get out and just do some really easy runs for the next week or so and ease yourself back into it. No pressure at all. I would say go at about 50% of you 5km pace so 12 min mile of you run 5km at an 8min mile.

Hope you are sorted now and fully better.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Hi, I've been part of the Strava group for a few weeks now but was feeling a little shy to join in here! I've never posted in boards before so bear with me if I make any mistakes.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please)

I've been running for 2 years and started racing last year. I'm not fast..

10k, Great Ireland Run 2018, April 59:30 ( my first sub 1 ever!)
    10 Frank Duffy 2017, 01:42 ish, can't remember exactly
    Haven't run any 5k races this year but last year it was 29 mins
    Haven't raced any half marathons but have signed up for 2 before DCM.

No

I would run as often as I can. I take 2 rest days a week so I'm currently running 4/5 days. My long run is at 10 miles. When I signed up for DCM last November, I read that I should be running at least 20 miles a week before I even start the training. I think I'm at that level now, more or less.

I also swim twice a week

I haven't decided on a plan yet. I'd love to try the boards plan but maybe it's a little out of my league...
    I'll train as hard as I need to. I'm used to getting up at crazy o clock to get the miles in.

Injury. If I can make it to the start line I know I'll make it to the finish line. I just need to get through the training.

It feels like the next step. I feel ready to tackle the challenge of running 26.2

Also there's some "stuff in the basement".

Hi, I've been part of the Strava group for a few weeks now but was feeling a little shy to join in here! I've never posted in boards before so bear with me if I make any mistakes.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please)

I've been running for 2 years and started racing last year. I'm not fast..

10k, Great Ireland Run 2018, April 59:30 ( my first sub 1 ever!)
    10 Frank Duffy 2017, 01:42 ish, can't remember exactly
    Haven't run any 5k races this year but last year it was 29 mins
    Haven't raced any half marathons but have signed up for 2 before DCM.

No

I would run as often as I can. I take 2 rest days a week so I'm currently running 4/5 days. My long run is at 10 miles. When I signed up for DCM last November, I read that I should be running at least 20 miles a week before I even start the training. I think I'm at that level now, more or less.

I also swim twice a week

I haven't decided on a plan yet. I'd love to try the boards plan but maybe it's a little out of my league...
    I'll train as hard as I need to. I'm used to getting up at crazy o clock to get the miles in.

Injury. If I can make it to the start line I know I'll make it to the finish line. I just need to get through the training.

It feels like the next step. I feel ready to tackle the challenge of running 26.2

Also there's some "stuff in the basement".

Ah I'm delighted to see you have plucked up the courage! That's very steady training you have been doing over the past few months. How are you finding the training? Tough or very comfortable? I think if you keep a tight rein on paces you will be well able for the Boards plan. That base which you have built is something invaluable yet often overlooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

skyblue46 wrote: »
    As ariana said it would be much more beneficial to do the complete mileage in one go. Could you bus it to or from work and make a little detour on your run commute in or out to bring it up to the distance you are looking to do?

Thanks sky blue and kellygirl.

Yeah that’s an option for the shorter runs, I think when it gets up to 5/6 miles I met just need to wait until after work as I’m a plodder !

Planning out my options so I’ve no excuses when the plan starts. :-)

Hi Applegirl and Alorra welcome aboard!

Alorra you have some fast times there, i'd say there's massive untapped potential with some structured training! Consistency and patience are key to this game ;)

Applegirl, you have a fantastic base, well done on being so proactive last November. This obviously means a lot to you that you've been plotting and planning since then, that dedication will stand to you :) For what it's worth i think you'll be well able for the Boards plan!

• Advertisement

Thanks sky blue and kellygirl.

Yeah that’s an option for the shorter runs, I think when it gets up to 5/6 miles I met just need to wait until after work as I’m a plodder !

Planning out my options so I’ve no excuses when the plan starts. :-)

Kudos for planning ahead effibear, you are right to be thinking these things through at this stage - take note everyone ;)

Ah I'm delighted to see you have plucked up the courage! That's very steady training you have been doing over the past few months. How are you finding the training? Tough or very comfortable? I think if you keep a tight rein on paces you will be well able for the Boards plan. That base which you have built is something invaluable yet often overlooked.

Thank you skyblue for your words of encouragement both here and Strava.
    I'm loving the training. It's beginning to feel very real now. I thoroughly enjoy running but would love to be faster. I'll have to park that ambition for a while though.

Hi Applegirl and Alorra welcome aboard!

Applegirl, you have a fantastic base, well done on being so proactive last November. This obviously means a lot to you that you've been plotting and planning since then, that dedication will stand to you :) For what it's worth i think you'll be well able for the Boards plan!

Thank you Alorra for the kind welcome. Yup, this race means a lot to me.

Thank you Alorra for the kind welcome. Yup, this race means a lot to me.

Sorry Ariana! My first mistake already..

Thank you skyblue for your words of encouragement both here and Strava.
    I'm loving the training. It's beginning to feel very real now. I thoroughly enjoy running but would love to be faster. I'll have to park that ambition for a while though.

You're very welcome! The only reason I mention paces is that most of your runs are within a minute per mile of your 10k race pace which will be too fast during the plan. That being said the GI run was 2 months ago and you have probably come on quite a bit since then. What's the next race you have planned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭Rossi7

With regards races, should we be looking to do more or is the Race Series enough as they tie in with the plans

• Advertisement

You're very welcome! The only reason I mention paces is that most of your runs are within a minute per mile of your 10k race pace which will be too fast during the plan. That being said the GI run was 2 months ago and you have probably come on quite a bit since then. What's the next race you have planned?

Castleknock 5k and Clonee 10k, both this month

Rossi7 wrote: »
    With regards races, should we be looking to do more or is the Race Series enough as they tie in with the plans

For you I'd say the race series is enough as you have some recent race times to work out training paces from. For anyone without a relevant race time whether they have never done a race or only have historical times it would be a help to get a race in soon to get a good idea of present fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Kellygirl wrote:
    Hi All, we are going to try to keep the Strava group to just members of this thread. Therefore I will be doing a tidy up of it.

Hi, probably a stupid question my strava knowledge is limited. Can you only log runs on strava via your phone. I don't bring my phone running but use my tomtom can I transfer the information from my watch to strava or is that not possible?

Helenasca wrote: »
    Hi, probably a stupid question my strava knowledge is limited. Can you only log runs on strava via your phone. I don't bring my phone running but use my tomtom can I transfer the information from my watch to strava or is that not possible?

Yes you can use the watch to do it. I'm not familiar with tomtom so maybe someone else can help....Baby75?? With Garmin you are basically giving Strava the permission to take the information from ones Garmin Connect account and copying it to Strava.

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216918027-TomTom-and-Strava

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

skyblue46 wrote:
    Yes you can use the watch to do it. I'm not familiar with tomtom so maybe someone else can help....Baby75?? With Garmin you are basically giving Strava the permission to take the information from ones Garmin Connect account and copying it to Strava.

Success, thank you so much. I spotted you could add them manually but this is much easier ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

first marathon planned for this years dublin marathon
    only did a few 10k runs before (best time was 48 minutes)

i cycle for around an hour six days a week and play football for an hour three times a week, so my cardio is pretty good at the moment

i think i will need to give up some of the football days if i want to train properly and manage to complete this respectably -

realistically it will be first week in july before consistent running will start, which gives me july, august, september and then somewhat of a taper in october while leading up to the race

can anyone please give me some advice or recommend a realistic training plan, i just want to finish it but somewhere around 4 hours should probably be my goal (im 33 male, 80kg and dont smoke)

i have watched loads of videos and read a bit online but any extra info/tips/lessons u can share based on my background would be very much appreciated :)

will also trawl back through the pages on this thread now for some info!

Edit - to answer the OP original questions

A few 10ks and 5ks, best 10k time was 48 minutes, 5k in 22

No

Probably mentioned most of it in the above post! Trying to start clocking up some running miles now though but hard to find energy at times as I cycle to and from work (around 20km total per day) in addition to football for an hour every sat, mon & wednesday

Just to complete it really, would like to finish sub 4 hours but am not driven by a finishing time for my first marathon really

If I give up Mon and Wed football until after marathon I could in theory run maybe 5 days a week

Not being able to finish the race and if it is too big of a task/requires too much dedication. am fairly determined though so am quietly confident that if i put the work in ASAP I will be fine

just personal achievement really. want to set a goal to work towards. am starting a part time MBA in sept so completing this around the same time as starting the course would be a good confidence boost and springboard to go on to be successful in that too

first marathon planned for this years dublin marathon
    only did a few 10k runs before (best time was 48 minutes)

i cycle for around an hour six days a week and play football for an hour three times a week, so my cardio is pretty good at the moment

i think i will need to give up some of the football days if i want to train properly and manage to complete this respectably -

realistically it will be first week in july before consistent running will start, which gives me july, august, september and then somewhat of a taper in october while leading up to the race

can anyone please give me some advice or recommend a realistic training plan, i just want to finish it but somewhere around 4 hours should probably be my goal (im 33 male, 80kg and dont smoke)

i have watched loads of videos and read a bit online but any extra info/tips/lessons u can share based on my background would be very much appreciated :)

will also trawl back through the pages on this thread now for some info!

The opening post is the one with the plans...The rest contain lots of information which will help. You've got this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Hi everyone, I've been reading the posts here with interest. Figured it was time to join in - I've signed up for DCM too and it will be my first marathon. I've been running fairly regularly for a little over a year. Before that I had stop-started a few times (several couch to 5k experiences :)) but it was learning about running slowly in training that got me hooked. It was suddenly so much more enjoyable! That was mostly down to discovering this forum, and learning a lot from people here. It's an amazing resource and community.

5k - 23:23 (May 2018)
    5 mile - 38:55 (Jan 2018)
    10k - 53 mins (June 2017)
    HM - 1:57 (August 2017)

I think I should be able to improve the last two by a decent bit now. I hope so anyway!

No

Roughly 35-40 miles per week currently, 5-6 days. I go to a pilates class once a week usually but used to be a lot better about doing other strength training and I'd like to add it back in to help injury prevention.

Complete it without suffering massively! I have a real fear of falling apart, so my goal is to feel good (relatively speaking ;)) and enjoy it. I'd also like to do it in a time that I could feel reflected where I'm at by October, but I've no idea what that would be yet.

5-6 should be manageable. As for the plan... I've lost track of the amount of hours I've spent weighing up the pros and cons of different plans. Still haven't a clue.

Honestly, I'm fairly terrified that the race itself (if I make it that far) will be really painful and I'll give up. So more than anything I want to not do that.

I just like running a lot :)
    I never had the remotest interest in running a marathon until stumbling across a previous incarnation of this thread just after the marathon a couple of years ago. Reading people's experiences of it blew my mind and I read back through most of the thread, and then followed last year's one the whole way through. I think the decision to try it myself was made there and then reading those first race reports.

eyrie wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I've been reading the posts here with interest. Figured it was time to join in - I've signed up for DCM too and it will be my first marathon. I've been running fairly regularly for a little over a year. Before that I had stop-started a few times (several couch to 5k experiences :)) but it was learning about running slowly in training that got me hooked. It was suddenly so much more enjoyable! That was mostly down to discovering this forum, and learning a lot from people here. It's an amazing resource and community.

5k - 23:23 (May 2018)
    5 mile - 38:55 (Jan 2018)
    10k - 53 mins (June 2017)
    HM - 1:57 (August 2017)

I think I should be able to improve the last two by a decent bit now. I hope so anyway!

No

Roughly 35-40 miles per week currently, 5-6 days. I go to a pilates class once a week usually but used to be a lot better about doing other strength training and I'd like to add it back in to help injury prevention.

Complete it without suffering massively! I have a real fear of falling apart, so my goal is to feel good (relatively speaking ;)) and enjoy it. I'd also like to do it in a time that I could feel reflected where I'm at by October, but I've no idea what that would be yet.

5-6 should be manageable. As for the plan... I've lost track of the amount of hours I've spent weighing up the pros and cons of different plans. Still haven't a clue.

Honestly, I'm fairly terrified that the race itself (if I make it that far) will be really painful and I'll give up. So more than anything I want to not do that.

I just like running a lot :)
    I never had the remotest interest in running a marathon until stumbling across a previous incarnation of this thread just after the marathon a couple of years ago. Reading people's experiences of it blew my mind and I read back through most of the thread, and then followed last year's one the whole way through. I think the decision to try it myself was made there and then reading those first race reports.

I see 4/5 mins off that 10k on Saturday week and a sub 1:50 half. Your training is exemplary so far. Don't be afraid to go for an aggressive DCM target and to enjoy it. The 2 are not mutually exclusive.

Sorry Ariana! My first mistake already..

If all your mistakes are just typos then you'll do great ;)

Hi Naked Leper and eyrie welcome along to you both.

Naked Lepper have a look at the two plans when you get a chance. I think the NNH1 should suit you but you may feel differently. I do think you will have to consider dropping some or all of the football sessions for the few months especially as you are already struggling to fit in time for running, once the training starts the miles increase quite rapidly. And honestly i can guarantee you one thing, October 28th will be a lot more fun and a lot less painful if you dedicate yourself to training for it specifically for those 18 weeks in the run up!

eyrie choosing a plan is a bit of a minefield alright but with your background you will be well able for whichever plan you choose and to be honest there probably isn't a massive difference between a lot of them, ultimately i think with any of them you will get out what you put in and in your case no doubt that will be 100% dedication and focus and you'll do brilliantly. Looking forward to having you on board :)

Rossi7 wrote: »
    I think the series is sufficient. The issue with doing many more is you have to allow time to taper and recover. Ok, you could keep the taper to a minimum but a race is like a monster session and you will need recovery time so then you are losing valuable training time. It isn't even necessary to do all of the series if it isn't convenient for you, i'd recommend minimum 2 races though and 3 for anyone who has very little race experience coming into this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

In the theme of running to your current fitness, not your goal time...

I did DCM for the first time in 2016, in a time of 4.32. My goal time this time around is 4.00hrs.

Recently I had my eye on getting a PB in a local 10k race, I did this last weekend with my first sub 50 10k, in a time of 48.05.

Using that 10k time the MacMillan calculator says my marathon time could be 3.45hrs and a pace of 5.21 min/km. A 4 hour marathon would have a pace of 5.41 min/km.

Which should I go for?

In the theme of running to your current fitness, not your goal time...

I did DCM for the first time in 2016, in a time of 4.32. My goal time this time around is 4.00hrs.

Recently I had my eye on getting a PB in a local 10k race, I did this last weekend with my first sub 50 10k, in a time of 48.05.

Using that 10k time the MacMillan calculator says my marathon time could be 3.45hrs and a pace of 5.21 min/km. A 4 hour marathon would have a pace of 5.41 min/km.

Which should I go for?

Go with current pace. It's easy to revise downwards if you find training tough. As I said to Eyrie earlier there is no need to totally bury the hope for your best possible time. Predictions for marathons off 10k times are notoriously unreliable but no harm training to them for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

eyrie choosing a plan is a bit of a minefield alright but with your background you will be well able for whichever plan you choose and to be honest there probably isn't a massive difference between a lot of them, ultimately i think with any of them you will get out what you put in and in your case no doubt that will be 100% dedication and focus and you'll do brilliantly. Looking forward to having you on board :)

Thanks ariana! Looking forward to getting stuck in and seeing what happens anyway.
    I see 4/5 mins off that 10k on Saturday week and a sub 1:50 half. Your training is exemplary so far. Don't be afraid to go for an aggressive DCM target and to enjoy it. The 2 are not mutually exclusive.
    Ah well the training is the easy (and enjoyable) part! Racing is a whole other story... I'm not setting goals like those but I'll stick at it and see.

• Advertisement
Advertisement