Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Aoifemcc19

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Anyone getting more scared of the cold before the run than the actual run itself?

Didn’t think I’d be considering a second layer for a marathon!

A good friend of mine wore a big pink fluffy dressing gown that she was ready to bin to the start line two years ago!! Something like that would keep you super warm :D

Question for the experts :confused: : I usually drink a bottle of water with a zero tab in it the afternoon before my LSR but should we be drinking zero tabs in water all this week or just leave it to what we normally do?? Is just day before enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Aoifemcc19 wrote: »
    Question for the experts :confused: : I usually drink a bottle of water with a zero tab in it the afternoon before my LSR but should we be drinking zero tabs in water all this week or just leave it to what we normally do?? Is just day before enough?

I’ll be drinking them for a few days beforehand. You want to hydrate well all week but not overdo it at the same time. I’ll prob add in zero tablets from Thursday - 2 a day for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

RayCun wrote: »
    Run at 3:59 pace until Walkinstown roundabout, see how you feel then
    Thanks Ray. To clarify, I'd be planning to aim for a negative split, so if targeting 3:59 my pace in the first half or so would be slower than 3:59 pace. So do you mean run at actual 3:59 pace (9:00 - 9:05 ish) until Walkinstown and then see how things are going?
    ariana` wrote: »
    I agree with ReeReeG, i don't think 3:55 is a stretch at all, i think 3:50 probably isn't a stretch either in fact. But there is the 1st marathon factor that she mentions and you only get to do it once! Pick a time that is realistic but also that you will be proud of (it sounds like 3:50-3:55 might be it?). You have the right attitude to enjoying the day but you also have to factor in the chance of setting the target too soft and feeling a bit meh about it afterwards.
    Ha thank you for that but I'll save 3:50 for another day! But I take your point about needing to be satisfied that you've done enough too. I think that's what I'm trying to work out now really. At the same time I also feel that given all the possibilities, sub 4 is my no means guaranteed and I could finish well outside of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Aoifemcc19 wrote: »

I'd be inclined to stick close enough to have what you've done for your LSRs but with a small increase. The key is to be sipping water all week starting from today. And then on Saturday maybe have 2 zero tablets spaced out well over the day.

Anyone who can get to the Expo on Friday should do so. Anyone who is travelling on Saturday and/or out & about at the Expo just be mindful to carry a bottle of water with you and keep sipping it. You don't want to be drinking too much on Sunday morning before the race, it's important to hydrate well the days beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Anyone who can get to the Expo on Friday should do so. Anyone who is travelling on Saturday and/or out & about at the Expo just be mindful to carry a bottle of water with you and keep sipping it. You don't want to be drinking too much on Sunday morning before the race, it's important to hydrate well the days beforehand.

You reckon it will be busier in there on Sat?

May pop in on Friday after work if this is the case

You reckon it will be busier in there on Sat?

May pop in on Friday after work if this is the case

I was thinking from the perspective of avoiding spending long periods of time on your feet on Saturday if you can! And also from the perspective of being out and about and forgetting to drink your water and eat regularly etc. For those reasons it'd be better to go on Friday (if you can) and you can stroll around and take in all the various stands at your leisure.

But i expect Saturday (especially the afternoon) will be busier as anyone who isn't based in Dublin will be arriving up on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

[quote="ariana`;108420283"
    Anyone who can get to the Expo on Friday should do so. Anyone who is travelling on Saturday and/or out & about at the Expo just be mindful to carry a bottle of water with you and keep sipping it. You don't want to be drinking too much on Sunday morning before the race, it's important to hydrate well the days beforehand.[/quote]

Would you recommend bringing children to the Expo? School is closed on Friday and it has completely scuppered my plans for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

Really gone into crazy mode now. Over thinking everything. Trying to figure out if i should walk or jog the 2k from the hotel to the start line. Small troubles.... I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Would you recommend bringing children to the Expo? School is closed on Friday and it has completely scuppered my plans for the day.

I am bringing the kids on Saturday first thing. Ive promised them that there is free stuff! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    I am bringing the kids on Saturday first thing. Ive promised them that there is free stuff! :confused:

They might get a free clapper.....plus a free wait in a queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

sann wrote: »
    Really gone into crazy mode now. Over thinking everything. Trying to figure out if i should walk or jog the 2k from the hotel to the start line. Small troubles.... I know.

Better to think about it now than on Sunday morning.

I have a similar thing to sort out, its 3km from my house to the nearest Luas station, I'm wondering if I should jog over to it in the morning, drive over to it, or drive into town instead.

Whats the difference between a gentle warmup run on the morning of a marathon and a run that is using up energy you might need later on?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

My times have disappeared off the table- was it something I said!!!

Can I get my time added in if someone had spare time? 4:15 please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Better to think about it now than on Sunday morning.

I have a similar thing to sort out, its 3km from my house to the nearest Luas station, I'm wondering if I should jog over to it in the morning, drive over to it, or drive into town instead.

Whats the difference between a gentle warmup run on the morning of a marathon and a run that is using up energy you might need later on?

My hotel had a service dropping people into the startline last year ... from Ballsbridge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    My times have disappeared off the table- was it something I said!!!

Can I get my time added in if someone had spare time? 4:15 please

Bib No.|Username|Target Time|Actual Time
    |Mr. Guappa|03:59:59|
    |coogy|03:45:00|
    |Helenasca|04:40:00|
    |roosterman71|03:50:00|
    |kittyclaws|04:50:00|
    |sann|03:40:00|
    |Summerflower|04:29:59|
    |Chippyrun|04:30:00|
    |Themadhouse|04:29:59|
    |Aoifemcc19|04:45:00|
    |Chabsey|03:15:00|
    |imknackered|03:28:00|
    |tbukela|03:38:00|
    |Naked Lepper|04:15:00|
    |yido1882|03:59:00|
    |cullenswood|03:29:59|
    |ReeReeG|03:49:30|
    |Bucketybuck|03:59:99|
    |Pilot1087|04:40:00|
    |Strawberry Swan|04:30:00|
    |Applegirl26|04:30:00|
    |aloooof|04:25:00|
    |hedgehoggy|03:43:30|
    |Misky|04:45:00|
    |Alorra|03:40:00|
    |Dealerz2.0|04:15:00|

Done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Go to the charity shop and get loads of warm clothes to wear until just before the start of the race.
    Go to Penneys and get a cheap hat and gloves to wear for the first few miles

O yeah, 1000%. Trackies and a woolie jumper I don’t need anymore will be worn until 5 minutes before kick off.

Some great advice here, take a few minutes to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

8 Don't run

As tempting as it may feel, do not go for a run today.

There's a 2 mile run scheduled for the Boards plan on Saturday? Should we heed the above advice or go with the plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

coogy wrote: »
    8 Don't run

There's a 2 mile run scheduled for the Boards plan on Saturday? Should we heed the above advice or go with the plan?
    I'll be doing 10-15 mins on Saturday anyway, required for sanity and to loosen out. Once you don't go sprinting I wouldn't see an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

8 Don't run

I'm doing 2 miles on Saturday too. Remember no two people's advice will be identical on every point in the lead up to a marathon. Stick with the plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

eyrie wrote: »
    Thanks Ray. To clarify, I'd be planning to aim for a negative split, so if targeting 3:59 my pace in the first half or so would be slower than 3:59 pace. So do you mean run at actual 3:59 pace (9:00 - 9:05 ish) until Walkinstown and then see how things are going?

If you are aiming for a negative split, and aiming for a time a few minutes faster than 3.59, then run the first half in just under two hours, and your negative split will be what it will be.

8 Don't run

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I'll be doing 10-15 mins on Saturday anyway, required for sanity and to loosen out. Once you don't go sprinting I wouldn't see an issue?

I wouldn't stress about it anyhow! Personally i didn't do it last year - I'd have been stressed trying to fit it in around packing for the family, travelling to Dublin, getting to the Expo, getting myself and the kids sorted in the over night digs and getting dinner sorted for everyone etc. But if you're feeling good this week and Saturday is an easy day for you then stick with the plan - as ReeReeG says it can be good to loosen out and you might find it relaxes you and calms any nerves you have :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

sann wrote: »

You will be all wrapped up in warm disposable clothes, so a run might not be comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

If you are aiming for a negative split, and aiming for a time a few minutes faster than 3.59, then run the first half in just under two hours, and your negative split will be what it will be.
    Makes sense, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

ariana` wrote:
    Some great advice

I really liked the 'don't stop' one. I finally found my 'plan' for when I hit the wall.

Helenasca wrote: »
    I really liked the 'don't stop' one. I finally found my 'plan' for when IF I hit the wall.

:pac::pac::pac:

Fixed that up for you while i was replying ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

ariana` wrote:
    Fixed that up for you while i was replying

Haha tks Ariana. I much prefer your take on it :)

Jaysus never thought there might be ex's on the route :eek:might need to rethink the no make up :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Would anyone like to share their mantras for when the going gets tough in the race? I'm always intrigued by what gets people through when they hit a tough spot.

I got up to 22 miles in my training and all I can think of is the 4 miles I haven't trained for.

How bad is the carnage I've been reading about on previous threads? Will we see it in the later miles?

Sorry about all the questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Would anyone like to share their mantras for when the going gets tough in the race? I'm always intrigued by what gets people through when they hit a tough spot.

I got up to 22 miles in my training and all I can think of is the 4 miles I haven't trained for.

How bad is the carnage I've been reading about on previous threads? Will we see it in the later miles?

Sorry about all the questions.

I wouldn't say it was necessarily a mantra, but to keep my mind active, I sometimes recite the phonetic alphabet from start to finish........

......well you DID ask!!!

Advertisement