Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Aoifemcc19

coogy wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it was necessarily a mantra, but to keep my mind active, I sometimes recite the phonetic alphabet from start to finish........

......well you DID ask!!!

I have a friend who sings Happy Birthday on a loop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Aoifemcc19

Would anyone like to share their mantras for when the going gets tough in the race? I'm always intrigued by what gets people through when they hit a tough spot.

I got up to 22 miles in my training and all I can think of is the 4 miles I haven't trained for.

How bad is the carnage I've been reading about on previous threads? Will we see it in the later miles?

Sorry about all the questions.

When you get to 22 miles you have only downhill and straight to go, one foot in front of the other. Just think of who is waiting for you at the finish line!! Not a bother to you girl, your training was MEGA!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Would anyone like to share their mantras for when the going gets tough in the race? I'm always intrigued by what gets people through when they hit a tough spot.

I got up to 22 miles in my training and all I can think of is the 4 miles I haven't trained for.

How bad is the carnage I've been reading about on previous threads? Will we see it in the later miles?

HTFU
    JFDI
    Anything useful you've said to yourself, or read in this thread/other logs.

Yes, there may be some carnage and the odd ambulance, etc.

Despite what your head might say, you have trained for the full race. You've put the time and mileage in.

Watch out for emotion in the final bit. :o

Worth talking to the pacers during the race too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I religiously write my children’s names on my left hand when i’m racing, when things got tough for me in Köln I repeated there names over & over. Got me through the hard part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

"Well I got to get back there anyway, might as well keep running. If I walk it'll just take longer".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

You did 22 miles in training when doing big mileage that week and the week before, you'll be running Sunday nice and fresh. The crowds will also help they are my favorite bit of the race and the reason i'm doing it again (well that and hopefully a new pb!!:D)

As for mantra, i tell myself alot that i know i can do it and to do it for my wife and kids, make them proud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

‘Mind over Body’

You have trained for this. The last 5km are just a Parkrun - you’ll hit that round by RTE and off you go!

Carnage will be from people going out too fast - nobody from this group will be part of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Thank you all for your amazing replies. Sorry, I can't do multiple replies in one and I don't want to be clogging up the thread!

I love the idea of writing your kids names down on your wrist.

Another question, already I'm feeling fairly emotional at the thoughts of seeing the finish line in the distance. I'm putting it down to a lack of running which usually sorts my worries out!
    On the day I fear I will get upset at the end which will mortify me. Do many people cry?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Kellygirl wrote: »
    ‘Mind over Body’

You have trained for this. The last 5km are just a Parkrun - you’ll hit that round by RTE and off you go!

Carnage will be from people going out too fast - nobody from this group will be part of it!

Thanks Kellygirl. I remember passing RTÉ in my training run and it felt sweet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Thank you all for your amazing replies. Sorry, I can't do multiple replies in one and I don't want to be clogging up the thread!

Another question, already I'm feeling fairly emotional at the thoughts of seeing the finish line in the distance. I'm putting it down to a lack of running which usually sorts my worries out!
    On the day I fear I will get upset at the end which will mortify me. Do many people cry?

I’ve ran 3.75 marathons and cried after every one!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Another question, already I'm feeling fairly emotional at the thoughts of seeing the finish line in the distance. I'm putting it down to a lack of running which usually sorts my worries out! On the day I fear I will get upset at the end which will mortify me. Do many people cry?

I'm pretty sure most do!

I’d say a huge amount do. I did last year. It’s a massive achievement and the atmosphere is just so amazing that emotions are all over the place. You’ve a good walk from collecting your medal and goodie bag to picking up your bag from bag drop so you’ll be over it by the time you come out to friends / family!

Apparently this was posted on facebook (wouldn't take it as gospel but an interesting read) I got it from Strava....

**DCM18 ** Mile by Mile guide..
    Mile 1 the “Shuffle Mile”. Nervous smiles all round but we are on the way. Be careful of tripping and don’t do too much weaving in and out. RELAX
    Mile 2 has a downhill from Christchurch to the river and pace can pick up.
    Mile 3 slight uphill through Stoneybatter and careful of footing at first water stop. Lots of bottles on the road.
    Mile 4 can get narrow as you enter the Phoenix Park, so just relax and settle.
    Mile 5 to 7 through the Park. Slight uphill all the way but lots of room on the road to relax and take it all in. Now we are motoring. Shake out the shoulders to relieve tension and get to the #HAPPYPLACE.
    Mile 7 at Castleknock is the first of the WELCOME villages. Great crowds, atmosphere. Now you know you are in a Big City Marathon.Mile 7 to 10 has a few downhills and will be quick enough. Don’t go MAD.
    Mile 10 has the first decent uphill where you run under the Motorway. Take it easy and it will be gone in a few minutes. Lose time if you have to but don't fight it.
    Mile 11 to 16 is back in town with crowds and water stations. Settle yourself. Analyse how you feel and what pace is comfortable. Take in the day and the crowds.They do help and lift the spirits. Passing halfway have a smile. On the way home.
    Mile 16 to 19. Lovely area through Kimmage, Terenure, Rathgar,. Fairly flat. Great crowds and buzz. Keep the legs turning you are on the way home. Make sure to keep drinking and fuelling. Vital time coming up.* Mile 19 to 22 is Make or Break. *
    Mile 19 to 20 Downhill first half of 19 and relax as nice pull out of Milltown for 2nd half of this mile. Just get up it handy and don't force it.Mile 20 to 21 nice gentle downhill into Clonskeagh but take it easy and use it to relax and focus. You have come along way. We will get home.Mile 21 to 22 is the toughie and just get up that hill at any pace but keep moving.
    Mile 22 to 23 has a nice downhill on Fosters Avenue that you can use to get Heart Rate back on track and steady yourself for home
    Mile 23 to 24 is reasonably flat except for climb at UCD flyover where you cross the Road
    Mile 24 turn the corner at Merrion Shopping Centre. Focus, dig in.. It is straight from here to finish line. No twists or turns, No ups or downs. So 1 foot in front of the other and dream of glory.

Yes that’s from Pat Walsh - a coach in Cork. It’s fairly accurate and his Facebook posts are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

I’ll be balling...and proud of it too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Clibee

Great advise and glad to know everyone else is thinking the same things.

I’m laughing out loud at the singing of happy birthday on a loop.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Yes that’s from Pat Walsh - a coach in Cork. It’s fairly accurate and his Facebook posts are excellent.

Thanks Kellygirl, it didn't say on Strava who it was from. Definitely reinforces the take it easy on the first half message

Thanks Kellygirl, it didn't say on Strava who it was from. Definitely reinforces the take it easy on the first half message

Only thing is it’s not a climb in the Stillorgan dual carriage way flyover. It’s flat as the road dips underneath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Bib No.|Username|Target Time|Actual Time
    |Mr. Guappa|03:59:59|
    |coogy|03:45:00|
    |Helenasca|04:40:00|
    |roosterman71|03:50:00|
    |kittyclaws|04:50:00|
    |sann|03:40:00|
    |Summerflower|04:29:59|
    |Chippyrun|04:30:00|
    |Themadhouse|04:29:59|
    |Aoifemcc19|04:45:00|
    |Chabsey|03:15:00|
    |imknackered|03:28:00|
    |tbukela|03:38:00|
    |Naked Lepper|04:15:00|
    |yido1882|03:59:00|
    |cullenswood|03:29:59|
    |ReeReeG|03:49:30|
    |Bucketybuck|03:59:99|
    |Pilot1087|04:40:00|
    |Strawberry Swan|04:30:00|
    |Applegirl26|04:30:00|
    |aloooof|04:25:00|
    |hedgehoggy|03:43:30|
    |Misky|04:45:00|
    |Alorra|03:40:00|
    |Dealerz2.0|04:15:00|
    |Buzwaldo |04:10:00|

Time to nail something down. This was always the target from early on. Fooled myself flirting with 4.00, but I would need everything to go my way, and then some, to hit that, so we'll go with 4.10, which is not a soft target for me. Would be happy with anything sub 4.20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

HTFU
    JFDI

Worth talking to the pacers during the race too.

Anything that distracts you can help. The end of marathon isn't as sharply painful as say the the end of an all-out 5k is, but it's dragged out over a longer period of time and there's no hiding from it. First thing is to acknowledge that it's going to be tough. You'll be tired. This is expected. "Relax and let it in".

So, some tricks! Use the people around you. If you're running well then catch up with people who are slowing down, and then move on to the next, and then the next etc. Maybe actually talk to runners around you saying stuff like "Haha, just a parkrun to go". Wonder out loud why you're doing the marathon. Talk about the weather. Ask how they're feeling. The purpose of this isn't to make a new BFF, but to distract you from feeling tired. Interact with the crowds - this was done brilliantly by a guy running near me for the last 3 miles or so last year, I thought he was a lunatic wasting whatever energy he had around him, but by egging on supporters and making other runners laugh around him it seemed like he was somehow gaining energy.

One final trick - smile! Ignore the headwrecking agony, and pretend you're having a great time. You are really - you're exactly where you want to be. Smile, look around, be aware of your surroundings and keep the head up. Keep it going until the RDS, and then enjoy the last mile.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Themadhouse, very sorry for your loss. There is a lot of heart that shines through in your posts - thank you for sharing. Fair play for getting to the start line. I will try to find something sparkly in a pound shop, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Despite what it might come across like I don't intend to be a killjoy or take the competitive challenge out of the day. You paid your entry fee and should run it as you please. I wouldn't narrow it down to a slow first 7/10 miles and then speed up. It's more complex than that... Definitely be a few minutes behind target after 7 miles. Miles 8 and 9 are downhill so you will claw back a bit there. Miles 11,12,13 and 14 are up and down and it's still best not to be chasing time. After that the course is your friend if you have conserved energy.
    Lazare wrote: »
    I'd like to offer advice about target times. For people who are stressing out about it.

Pick a soft target.

If you feel you 'might' be able for a 3:45, target 3:50/55. If 4:40 seems difficult but doable, target 4:50 etc..etc..

We were told this last year over and over again, 'you won't get another chance to run your first marathon, you only ever run your first marathon once in your life'

I paid lip service to it if I'm honest in the weeks leading up, had crazy notions. It finally sank in though and I picked a target that was about 3 mins behind what I felt I was ready for.

It worked out absolutely perfect, I hit my target, high fived people everywhere, loved every single minute (well, almost :)). Walked away with an unbelievable memory of a really really special day. Felt like Christmas morning waking that day, and felt like Christmas Eve going to bed that night such was the rush.

Endorphins were burst loose, they sizzled for weeks.

Don't risk all that beauty by chasing a time you will smash next year.

Two good posts. It's all new to me. This advice has been really useful and I'm really grateful. Thanks. I had it in my head if I stuck with 3.50 pacer I would be 10 mins behind the 3.40 pacer. But that's not until the end of the race. So if I start off with the 3.50 pacer for half the race even it's not a million miles off of the 3.40 pacer so could get it down to 3.45 in 2nd half. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Two good posts. It's all new to me. This advice has been really useful and I'm really grateful. Thanks. I had it in my head if I stuck with 3.50 pacer I would be 10 mins behind the 3.40 pacer. But that's not until the end of the race. So if I start off with the 3.50 pacer for half the race even it's not a million miles off of the 3.40 pacer so could get it down to 3.45 in 2nd half. Thanks again.

I did a 1:57/1:50 split last year when I was chasing 3:52. First half was bang on the target I wanted but the second half really offers great possibilities if the legs are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Bib No.|Username|Target Time|Actual Time
    |Mr. Guappa|03:59:59|
    |coogy|03:45:00|
    |Helenasca|04:40:00|
    |roosterman71|03:50:00|
    |kittyclaws|04:50:00|
    |sann|03:40:00|
    |Summerflower|04:29:59|
    |Chippyrun|04:30:00|
    |Themadhouse|04:29:59|
    |Aoifemcc19|04:45:00|
    |Chabsey|03:15:00|
    |imknackered|03:28:00|
    |tbukela|03:38:00|
    |Naked Lepper|04:15:00|
    |yido1882|03:59:00|
    |cullenswood|03:29:59|
    |ReeReeG|03:49:30|
    |Bucketybuck|03:59:99|
    |Pilot1087|04:40:00|
    |Strawberry Swan|04:30:00|
    |Applegirl26|04:30:00|
    |aloooof|04:25:00|
    |hedgehoggy|03:43:30|
    |Misky|04:45:00|
    |Alorra|03:40:00|
    |Dealerz2.0|04:15:00|
    |Buzwaldo |04:10:00|
    |AdrianII |03:59:59|

I'll add myself in here. 2nd marathon, first one was a 4h50 over 9 years ago. Followed thread but didn't post much.

Good luck to all on sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

I'll be like Ron Burgundy in the telephone box on Sunday at the finishing line!

Just a heads up, the DART is not operating between Dublin Connolly and Dun Laoghaire, and intermediate DART stations will be closed.

Hal Higdon programme has a 2 miler tonight, Thursday and 3 miles the day before - I presume these are literally a trot? 3 miles the day before sounds like a lot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Just on the hydration thing, how much water should we be drinking for the next couple of days and on the day before the race?
    Would 2-2.5 litres be sufficient?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Just on the hydration thing, how much water should we be drinking for the next couple of days and on the day before the race?
    Would 2-2.5 litres be sufficient?

I would stick to normal levels of hydration, whatever you've been drinking during training.
    As someone else pointed out, a lot of people take salt tablets or electrolytes etc etc . But if you are drinking loads of water, all those salts are getting diluted and flushed out again.
    Your normal diet almost certainly contains enough water and enough salt, all you need to do is keep to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

RayCun wrote: »
    I would stick to normal levels of hydration, whatever you've been drinking during training.
    As someone else pointed out, a lot of people take salt tablets or electrolytes etc etc . But if you are drinking loads of water, all those salts are getting diluted and flushed out again.
    Your normal diet almost certainly contains enough water and enough salt, all you need to do is keep to that.

+1 to this. We are not camels and do not store extra fluids to use days later. If you start drinking much more than you normally do be prepared for lots of visits to the loo over the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

This article was posted on the novice thread for the past 2 years (that i know off - thanks Ray & WW). It really is worth studying for anyone running Dublin next Sunday but especially for novices. The graphs contained within are an eye-opener and a reality check for all of us.
    over 70% of Dublin Marathoners who hit the wall go out too fast in the first 10k.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

You'll only run your first marathon once, a big step towards making it the best experience it can possibly be is by setting a realistic target. Most of you have targets set for Sunday, which is great, and i hope you reach them. But it's also a good idea to have a Plan 'B' and even a Plan 'C' as back ups. Running a marathon is no mean physical or mental challenge, there are many variables that can impact on your time, check in with your mind & body before the race and at regular intervals throughout the race and switch to a Plan 'B' or Plan 'C' if you need to. You may decide to switch to Plan 'B' before the race starts if for example the weather conditions were very unfavorable.

If you want to share your Plan 'B' & 'C' with us, as well as your Plan 'A', then do by all means. Plan 'C' for a lot of you might just to finish and that's a perfectly fine goal ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Thanks arana'

My plan A was 3:59:59- I think that ship has sailed
    My new plan A (was B) is 4:10- which I am very happy with, but what I have realised over the last 10 days and somehting that many have mentioned, completing a marathon is a perfectly good plan to have!
    Plan C- wait for the next Dublin Bus!!

Ah no in all seriousness, there are a lot of variables that can go right or wrong, and I wont be a slave to a time on the day, I have trained very well (thank you mentors!) and the end result will be the end result, I will be very happy with my result.

Advertisement