Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

That sucks so much, such bad timing. I'm starting to get one too :( My partner had one for the past week so not surprising I got it but very disappointing. Hopefully it wont get too bad. Am taking lemsip and whiskey and Vit C. Luckily took the day off work so can rest properly. Does anyone know if it's ok to do the marathon with a cold? Obviously any target time goes out the window.

I ran it last year with a cold, was over the worst of it by the day.My time was slightly slower than planned but might not have been related at all. Really bad luck after all the time spent training to pick up a cold so close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    can't remember where, but somewhere showed your position at 10k, HM, 30k so you could work out how many you passed based on that. May have been the official results at the time. Don't know if the info is still there or available

Yes the official results gave your placing at each timing point so you could see how many people you had passed or had been passed by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

So all sorted with the number and the like. Got there a little after 12 after a walk in from town. First off, all credit to those of you who have to run the streets of Dublin regularly. I'd find it a nightmare having to deal with the foot traffic, the road traffic and the lack of empathy I saw a lot of runners get trying to get around! Fair juice to you all!

Got in and out realtively quick. Queue was long but as I was said earlier, they got things moving swiftly. I had a quick look around the Expo stalls after that. Wasn't tempted to commit to another marathon just yet, despite a number advertised. Some things peaked my interest but not enough to take out the wallet! Bused it back into town (been years since I have been on a Dublin Bus - see they getting all fancy with their USB chargers on the seats now) and get out of the city before the heavy heavy Bank Holiday traffic started (that said, getting home did take an additional 20+ minutes).

At least i'm all sorted now. Easy from here on out. Did an early stop in SuperValu to pick up Read Dead Redemption II on the cheap so I have something to entertain me while I have the feet resting up! All I have left barring that is a final check-list and that very easy stroll for 3ish klicks tomorrow morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

I'm after getting the Benelyn day and night tablets, have taken Berocca (stuff is epic, a great boost to the system), and have drank as much tea as I can physically manage! I'm feeling a good bit better, I am hoping I might have got it just in time!
    Tonight I'm off to a concert in Point but tomorrow will be a lie in, feet up for the day, drop down to the expo, and then get ready to rumble! I'm hoping I'll be fine.
    Fingers crossed anyway - I don't think its manflu.......

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

Hope I do this right!

Bib No.|Username|Target Time|Actual Time
    |Mr. Guappa|03:59:59|
    5524|coogy|03:40:00|
    |Helenasca|04:40:00|
    |roosterman71|03:50:00|
    |kittyclaws|04:50:00|
    |sann|03:40:00|
    |Summerflower|04:29:59|
    |Chippyrun|04:30:00|
    |Themadhouse|04:29:59|
    |Aoifemcc19|04:45:00|
    |Chabsey|03:15:00|
    |imknackered|03:28:00|
    |tbukela|03:38:00|
    |Naked Lepper|04:15:00|
    |yido1882|03:59:00|
    |cullenswood|03:29:59|
    8176|ReeReeG|03:49:30|
    |Bucketybuck|03:59:99|
    |Pilot1087|04:40:00|
    |Strawberry Swan|04:30:00|
    |Applegirl26|04:40:00|
    |aloooof|04:25:00|
    |hedgehoggy|03:43:30|
    |Misky|04:45:00|
    |Alorra|03:40:00|
    |Dealerz2.0|04:15:00|
    |Buzwaldo |04:10:00|
    |AdrianII |03:59:59|
    |Comic Book Guy |03:26:00|
    |The man in red and black |03:45:00|
    |Rossi7 |03:54:59|
    |eyrie |03:57:30|
    |Clibee|04:40:00|
    |downtheroad|03:30:00|
    |Corbally|04:00:00|
    |blueberrypie |04:40:00|
    |Hobbyjogger |03:49:59|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

|Effibear |04:50:00|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

Can’t believe the table worked for me !! Really my goal is to get to start line and then the finish line after picking up injury lasts week. Bad timing but got cautious go ahead from physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Does anybody know how busy the expo is today?

I might leave work a bit early and head over, or if it is jammed I could go tomorrow, if anybody knows that would be great?

I got there at around 1:30 and walked straight through to the registrations as the crowds had dispersed. I found it a lot quieter than previous years, maybe it is the time of the day and people are still in work etc.

I would get it out of the way today if possible as it leaves Saturday free to put the feet up and eat cakes (carb loading) ;) for the big day.

Try to get a pace band first (near the front of the expo) as they disappear fast.

Race number sorted, cool beanie hat in the goodie bag too, psyched for the big day now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    can't remember where, but somewhere showed your position at 10k, HM, 30k so you could work out how many you passed based on that. May have been the official results at the time. Don't know if the info is still there or available

Yeah I think the results at the end give your position at each of the timing grantries.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'm not sure I'm gonna get on here much again over the weekend, so just wanted to say a massive thank you to the mentors for all the advice, suggestions and encouragement on here the last 18+ weeks.

It's been an enormous help and I think it's fair to say I'd have made a complete bags of my training paces if it wasn't for ye! :pac: Hope to catch ye in McGrattans on Sunday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Quick one for mentors,

The time I'm hoping for is between the last pacer in one wave and first pacer in next wave. If I go with the earlier wave and take it conservative for opening 7 miles is there a chance I become detached in a very small group or would there be a nice gang in the same boat?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

From a 2017 Novice - good luck to all those making their marathon debut this weekend. I'm excited to hear how everybody got on and read the race reports. I hope, no matter what happens with regard to times, you all enjoy it and arrive at the finish line safe and in good health.

Of course the same for all the marathon veterans and semi-veterans too.

Am working, otherwise I'd be out cheering, but be assured that I'll be online whenever possible getting updates on how you're all doing, and silently cheering you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Quick one for mentors,

The time I'm hoping for is between the last pacer in one wave and first pacer in next wave. If I go with the earlier wave and take it conservative for opening 7 miles is there a chance I become detached in a very small group or would there be a nice gang in the same boat?

You'll nearly always have people near you...I wouldn't be worried about getting isolated at all. Which specifically are the Waves and pace groups?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    You'll nearly always have people near you...I wouldn't be worried about getting isolated at all. Which specifically are the Waves and pace groups?

I'm assigned to Wave 1! Aiming for 3-26. Would I be better off in wave 2 and have more around to work my pace off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

That sucks so much, such bad timing. I'm starting to get one too :( My partner had one for the past week so not surprising I got it but very disappointing. Hopefully it wont get too bad. Am taking lemsip and whiskey and Vit C. Luckily took the day off work so can rest properly. Does anyone know if it's ok to do the marathon with a cold? Obviously any target time goes out the window.

Hopefully you have stemmed the worst of it. Rest up, take hot toddies and sleep!

I'm assigned to Wave 1! Aiming for 3-26. Would I be better off in wave 2 and have more around to work my pace off?

Horses for courses. I'm looking for a similar time but I'll go in Wave 1 so I get to McGrattans 15 minutes earlier. :pac: Honestly it wouldn't matter what wave I am in I'll just do my pace. Remember you have been given great advice on pacing and hopefully will follow it. Loads will be shooting off way too fast so you wouldn't be running with them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

I am aiming for pretty much the same time as you and i was in the same predicament a week or two ago. I've decided to stick to wave 1 at the back where you should hopefully have a bit of clearer road (by virtue of technically being the slowest runners in that group) should be easier to get into a decent running stride.

Id imagine there will be a fair few going for just under sub 3:30 in wave 1 and we can all keep each other company!!

The top of wave 2 will probably be quite crowded and unless you get to the top early you might get held up by the crowds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

expo was fun today
    queue to get number moved really quick

chattin to the guy giving out pace bands and told him i did the HM in 1.55, he said to go to 3.50 marathon! he gave me a 3.50 and a 4.00 pace band, was thinking i would finish between 4 and 4.15 (first marathon) but now am considering going for faster, in two minds really. still going to keep it conservative in the first half and see how i get on. i guess lots of people have diff opinions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

|Effibear |04:50:00|
    10809|juke|04:50:00|

I am aiming for pretty much the same time as you and i was in the same predicament a week or two ago. I've decided to stick to wave 1 at the back where you should hopefully have a bit of clearer road (by virtue of technically being the slowest runners in that group) should be easier to get into a decent running stride.

Id imagine there will be a fair few going for just under sub 3:30 in wave 1 and we can all keep each other company!!

The top of wave 2 will probably be quite crowded and unless you get to the top early you might get held up by the crowds

Remember also that a lot of club runners who are in the National Championships will be in wave 1 as the times for championship are from the gun. So you have lots of female and age group runners who will run very well but be a few minutes either side of 3:30

• Advertisement

expo was fun today

chattin to the guy giving out pace bands and told him i did the HM in 1.55, he said to go to 3.50 marathon! he gave me a 3.50 and a 4.00 pace band, was thinking i would finish between 4 and 4.15 (first marathon) but now am considering going for faster, in two minds really. still going to keep it conservative in the first half and see how i get on. i guess lots of people have diff opinions!

If 1:55 was a raced half please ignore the advice of the pacer...he is wrong to suggest 3:50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

If 1:55 was a raced half please ignore the advice of the pacer...he is wrong to suggest 3:50

i will not go for the 3.50, i trust the judgement and advice i received on here :)

he did not ask if the HM was raced, i was not going all out for it tho as it was replacing one of my long slow runs. i am considering using the 4 hour pace band however

best of luck to everyone this wknd! its finally here, what are we all going to obsess about once it is all over?!

The few people i heard one guy give advice to were all on the fast side (he told me my 1:31 HM should be going for 3:15....im going out for 3:28)

Don't change any plans at this stage

Horses for courses. I'm looking for a similar time but I'll go in Wave 1 so I get to McGrattans 15 minutes earlier. :pac: Honestly it wouldn't matter what wave I am in I'll just do my pace. Remember you have been given great advice on pacing and hopefully will follow it. Loads will be shooting off way too fast so you wouldn't be running with them anyway.

Thanks for that. I had a stupid mental image of coming into Castleknock a couple of mins behind the second last runner in the wave and getting a slow hand clap by spectators!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

It astounds me to hear some of the advice doled out by people who really have no idea how someone's training has gone or their history. Seen it with a few people I know running on Sunday getting bad advice from random people. Trust the plan and trust the mentors. Attack your next marathon!

The few people i heard one guy give advice to were all on the fast side (he told me my 1:31 HM should be going for 3:15....im going out for 3:28)

Don't change any plans at this stage

That's it...stick to what you feel you can do. There are so many variables around mileage in training, types of training, training properly, experience etc etc. Any reason why 3:28 off a 1:31? Even the 2x plus 20 mins gives 3:22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

expo was fun today

Yeah, thats sounds like terrible advice. Going out faster than you had planned because some random guy at the expo said so? Going for a time that could be 25 minutes faster than you had planned for? In your first marathon?

Thats just asking for a world of trouble. :)

That's it...stick to what you feel you can do. There are so many variables around mileage in training, types of training, training properly, experience etc etc. Any reason why 3:28 off a 1:31? Even the 2x plus 20 mins gives 3:22

All my training has been done around sub 3:30 pace, and if you asked me at the start of the year i would have bitten your hand off for a sub 3:30 marathon.

If i feel good at halfway i will push on and see how i do, i'd just rather make sure that i can get the time id be happy with than risking it for a a few mins quicker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Thanks for that. I had a stupid mental image of coming into Castleknock a couple of mins behind the second last runner in the wave and getting a slow hand clap by spectators!!

Not a chance of that. Plenty of slower runners and even walkers manage to start in wave one every year.

• Advertisement

All my training has been done around sub 3:30 pace, and if you asked me at the start of the year i would have bitten your hand off for a sub 3:30 marathon.

If i feel good at halfway i will push on and see how i do, i'd just rather make sure that i can get the time id be happy with than risking it for a a few mins quicker

That's perfect for a first marathon! Well done. Hopefully you'll reap the rewards for that approach.

Advertisement