Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Misky wrote: »
    I have been lurking here for a while since my friend and running buddy "Aoifemcc19" persuaded me to sign up for the marathon. Now that I have finally admitted to myself and others that there is a chance I might get there here is my info

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?

A couple of years since I raced as I don't enjoy them. 5k PB 24.35, 10k PB c 54.30, 2 half marathons at c 2.02. Swore Id never to another after trying to do sub 2 hours on both but did the Bohermeen this year at 2.06 and actually enjoyed it.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?

No

How much training do you do currently?

Same as Aoifemcc19 except I don't do Pilates

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete in no specificied time?

Hopeful that we would complete in under 5 hours but would be really happy to do sub 4.40

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

Same as Aoifemcc19

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any) in signing up?

Hitting a wall during the actually marathon

Why are you running this marathon?

Initially because I was persuaded to but mainly to have something to focus on during the summer when I tend to get a bit lazy

And welcome to you too! I can only repeat what I said to Aoife. Your aims are probably a bit conservative. Enjoy this thread, enjoy the training and you will enjoy the day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I have a 4 mile run tomorrow with 5 x 100m strides.

I've been reading back over old posts about strides and there does not appear to be any one hard and fast rule when it comes to how they should be done.

My plan was to do them at the end of my run but I see that some runners do them mid-run instead. Is there any benefit to doing it one way over another?

coogy wrote: »
    I have a 4 mile run tomorrow with 5 x 100m strides.

I've been reading back over old posts about strides and there does not appear to be any one hard and fast rule when it comes to how they should be done.

My plan was to do them at the end of my run but I see that some runners do them mid-run instead. Is there any benefit to doing it one way over another?

End of the run. The way ariana described them in her post about this weeks training is the way to do them.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    End of the run. The way ariana described them in her post about this weeks training is the way to do them.

Thanks, must have missed that. Got it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

eyrie wrote: »
    Thanks Hobbyjogger! Hmm the date and location of this both suit fairly well, but having just had a look at the course on the website it looks pretty brutal! Though I'm bad at understanding elevation profiles... Have you run it yourself? I did the Rock n' Roll half last year which is hilly but this looks a lot hillier!

I did the 5k myself, and OH did the 10k hence knowing it's well organised! Yes the elevation appears to be worse for the JJ Reddy, but a half at that at marathon pace would have you well set for Dublin I'd say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Aoifemcc19 wrote: »
    Anyway here is my info, I think most people's profiles I've read so far are a lot faster than me as I'm a complete plodder.

Faster than me :)
    gypsylee wrote: »
    Welcome. I hold the title of being the thread plodder so you definitely are not the slowest here :) Good luck with your training.

I think I can challenge you for that top honour!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

juke wrote: »
    Faster than me :)

I think I can challenge you for that top honour!

Faster than me too. I'm a snail 😊

Faster than me too. I'm a snail 😊

Ladies, ladies, ladies, please stop. DCM is a race for a small number of runners. For the rest of us it's about getting it done. And get it done you will, every last one of you! Ignore the paces of others. Some are on the novice thread but experienced runners, some are just training too fast but none of it matters. When you get that medal around your neck, the congratulations of friends and family and celebrate with the other novices in McGrattans nothing else will matter but that you did it!!

Ladies, ladies, ladies, please stop. DCM is a race for a small number of runners. For the rest of us it's about getting it done. And get it done you will, every last one of you! Ignore the paces of others. Some are on the novice thread but experienced runners, some are just training too fast but none of it matters. When you get that medal around your neck, the congratulations of friends and family and celebrate with the other novices in McGrattans nothing else will matter but that you did it!!

Ah skyblue I meant no harm. Apologies if I sounded childish. My pace doesn't bother me. When I began running I never dreamt that one day I'd be here.
    The first round's on me!

Ah skyblue I meant no harm. Apologies if I sounded childish. My pace doesn't bother me. When I began running I never dreamt that one day I'd be here.
    The first round's on me!

Haha I didn't think you were harsh at all. I just jumped at the chance to do some attempted inspirational stuff! :pac: You'll do great. I'm really impressed with your preparation. Don't mind me, ariana and Kellygirl do the sugar coating, I'm a bit blunt! :D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I know that anybody who has the 235 loves it. Great for setting up workouts too which is very handy. I think the FR 35 also transmits via Bluetooth if you want a simpler watch. There can be really good deals on a amazon so watch out for them. Sports Direct too the odd time.

I have the 235, good watch , simple to use ! Plus not touch screen etc which I find very handy

Haha I didn't think you were harsh at all. I just jumped at the chance to do some attempted inspirational stuff! :pac: You'll do great. I'm really impressed with your preparation. Don't mind me, ariana and Kellygirl do the sugar coating, I'm a bit blunt! :D

Your words were perfect and I like blunt!
    Haha!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

Came to the realisation today that I won't be able to follow a specific plan with shift work and a 2 year old . I am going to try and get 2 solid sessions in with 1 been a speed workout and the other been a lsr. I will make up the mileage commuting to work etc. I think that heath killed me tonight got 6k in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Dubs1990 wrote: »
    I know that anybody who has the 235 loves it. Great for setting up workouts too which is very handy. I think the FR 35 also transmits via Bluetooth if you want a simpler watch. There can be really good deals on a amazon so watch out for them. Sports Direct too the odd time.

I have the 235, good watch , simple to use ! Plus not touch screen etc which I find very handy

Well.. even though I wasn't the person saying it today, but I bought the forerunner today myself..

Oh got my first run in today for the plan whoop whoop exciting day, first day and new tech.. although tomorrow will be my first day trying the new tech.

Exciting times :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Someone at work suggested that I should take bcaa’s and protein whey powder to help recovery- should I? Do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Someone at work suggested that I should take bcaa’s and protein whey powder to help recovery- should I? Do you?

I don’t. I prefer real food so when I’m being good I’ll make my own protein bars etc (very easy and cheaper than buying them) but I’ll also make things like egg muffins.

Edited to add you don’t have to be making stuff either. Plenty good sources of protein such as meat that you can stick into a sandwich quickly too.

I don’t. I prefer real food so when I’m being good I’ll make my own protein bars etc (very easy and cheaper than buying them) but I’ll also make things like egg muffins.

Are you willing to sell your recipes???

Are you willing to sell your recipes???

Of course! Currently sitting having breakfast in Salou and recipes at home but google Derval O’Rourke and check out some of her recipes. My favorite are the Banana Booster Bars and the Orange and Cocoa Protein balls.

For egg muffins I just beat four eggs with milk. I fry off bacon, onion, mushrooms (whatever you want), and put the fried mixture at the bottom of muffin cases and then pour in the egg mixture. Bake in the oven then prob for 12-15 mins. Can’t remember exactly so just watch them. Great breakfast too and I make them and they keep for a couple of days in the fridge too.

Of course! Currently sitting having breakfast in Salou and recipes at home but google Derval O’Rourke and check out some of her recipes. My favorite are the Banana Booster Bars and the Orange and Cocoa Protein balls.

For egg muffins I just beat four eggs with milk. I fry off bacon, onion, mushrooms (whatever you want), and put the fried mixture at the bottom of muffin cases and then pour in the egg mixture. Bake in the oven then prob for 12-15 mins. Can’t remember exactly so just watch them. Great breakfast too and I make them and they keep for a couple of days in the fridge too.

Excellent- enjoy the rest of your holidays!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I do, but that stems from my powerlifting background. I take bcaa's with electrolytes in my water post workout, whey, only if I feel I'm not getting enough is my usual diet. I make protein snacks also - but that's to keep me away from chocolate.

The whole 'take a protein shake within 30 minutes ' of a workout/run has been shown to really only apply to elites. I'm not there yet :pac:

• Advertisement

I actually got a huge tub of whey powder for Father's Day! :D
    Ive tried it a couple of times but I'm wondering just how necessary it is for me to be taking it at this stage.
    Like Kellygirl, I would much prefer to be making my own protein snacks (my wife would find that idea hilarious).

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Morning all

First pace run in a while this morning so wasn't sure how it would go

Picked a sensible pace and managed to average just under it so was happy enough

The legs are feeling it a little now but some foam rolling and stretching this evening will take care of that

Good to have it out of the way early as it will be warm later

I kind of enjoyed the strides so should up the pace on them next time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

sumsar wrote: »
    Well.. even though I wasn't the person saying it today, but I bought the forerunner today myself..

Oh got my first run in today for the plan whoop whoop exciting day, first day and new tech.. although tomorrow will be my first day trying the new tech.

Exciting times :-)
    Ha, this is basically the runner's dream! New running gadget AND first day of a new plan :D Hope you enjoy both

First 4m run with strides later today. I finally understand how to approach strides now but the pace of my run? Should that be a bit quicker than an easy run pace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭Rossi7

First 4m run with strides later today. I finally understand how to approach strides now but the pace of my run? Should that be a bit quicker than an easy run pace?
    Planned marathon pace Coogy

Edit - if you scroll to the right of the plan you'll see each column is colour coded with the definitions

Rossi7 wrote: »

Edit - if you scroll to the right of the plan you'll see each column is colour coded with the definitions

Ok, ta!

It would be at easy pace with the strides at PMP.

Sorry my post came up twice there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭racersedge

Second run this evening and looking at the expected temps.. going to be a hot and sweaty one for sure! I’d ideally push it further into the evening but have to be up at 5am in the morning for work so need to get it done at a reasonable hour! It will stand to us all to get the miles in under these conditions though. That’s what I keep thinking. An excuse to work on the ‘farmers tan’ as well!!!

• Advertisement

Oh, I thought the actual run was at PMP (as per the description on the spreadsheet)

:confused:

Oh, I thought the actual run was at PMP (as per the description on the spreadsheet)

:confused:

I know. I doubted myself for a minute and checked with Ariana before replying. You’ll see further down the plan when it’s pace it states which miles are pace but in this case the colour is referring to the pace fore the strides.

I know. I doubted myself for a minute and checked with Ariana before replying. You’ll see further down the plan when it’s pace it states which miles are pace but in this case the colour is referring to the pace fore the strides.

Ok, thank you.

I'll get the hang of this eventually, I swear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Rossi7 wrote: »

The colour coded is relating to the 'strides' in the run, the pace is easy unless it's states 'pace' in the description in which case it's PMP or Planned Marathon Pace. We'll talk more about PMP at the weekend as the first 'pace' run on the plan is next week. :)

racersedge wrote: »
    Second run this evening and looking at the expected temps.. going to be a hot and sweaty one for sure! I’d ideally push it further into the evening but have to be up at 5am in the morning for work so need to get it done at a reasonable hour! It will stand to us all to get the miles in under these conditions though. That’s what I keep thinking. An excuse to work on the ‘farmers tan’ as well!!!

I've developed a ridiculous shorts tan from running the last few weeks :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Swapped my Strides run to next week and ran a Pace run this morning. I've a HM next weekend so working around that to an extent. Had intended going at HM Pace but wound up more at PMP due to the weather and a hilly route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

eyrie wrote: »
    I've developed a ridiculous shorts tan from running the last few weeks :o

Farmers tan here!!! and it seems to be stronger on one arm than the other - think its something to do with the route I'm running regularly and the direction of the sunlight! Will have to change direction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Day 3 of being unable to run....physio appointment on Friday. I'll have to stop following this thread, doing my head in :)

chabsey wrote: »
    Day 3 of being unable to run....physio appointment on Friday. I'll have to stop following this thread, doing my head in :)

Frustrating! Have you had physio yet or is Friday the first session? Hopefully physio will keep you running. Can you swim or cycle for fitness in the mean time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Frustrating! Have you had physio yet or is Friday the first session? Hopefully physio will keep you running. Can you swim or cycle for fitness in the mean time?

Friday was the first available slot and first appointment with this physio. Second physio appointment in general and sneaking suspicion that current issue might have been caused by over zealous treatment applied during first physio appointment. That and possibly me not giving my body time to recover from the beating :)

Can't swim, do cycle but will see on Friday if a longer term alternative is required. Hopefully not and I'll be back in the game.

Reminder for those who might be intending to join the strava group or who have requested to join but not yet been accepted to have both sent me a PM so that I know the name connected to the thread and also to have introduced yourself here and answered the few questions on the opening post of the thread. Thanks ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Boards to the rescue for homemade protein bars. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055992322

I find that a glass of mooju or a homemade protein bar and a soak in a cold bath(10 mins) is great for sore/tired legs after a long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This heat! Something tells me I'm not getting a PB in the docklands 5k tomorrow night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

This heat! Something tells me I'm not getting a PB in the docklands 5k tomorrow night...

https://media1.giphy.com/media/l49JHIAh6DFBrvJPq/giphy.gif

jake1970 wrote: »
    Boards to the rescue for homemade protein bars. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055992322

I find that a glass of mooju or a homemade protein bar and a soak in a cold bath(10 mins) is great for sore/tired legs after a long run.

Great- thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

Hi everyone, sorry I have been MIA for a while!

Having had a very good few months in terms of mileage and discipline, things kind of went to pot for a few weeks in late May and first half of June (work, picked up a hamstring strain on the bog(!) and a holiday. Anyway, I managed to get the show back on the road last week and started the plan proper yesterday.

I think I have lost a nice bit of fitness but it is hard to tell due to the impact of the heat. A few weeks ago I was torn between the HH1 and the Boards plan. I'm not sure I will be able to step up the LSR distances as quickly as will be required in the Boards plan but I am going to try it for the first few weeks and can revert to HH1 if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭racersedge

Tough slog this evening but got the distance in. Don't know if it was just the heat or the combination of the long day that made me feel pretty leggy at it (working in the childcare profession probably doesn't help - I rack up about 5K worth of movement before I even get to put my runners on). Running at 5:30 didn't help close to the midlands with a reported temp of about 28 degrees (I laugh at Garmin Connect claiming it was 23.something..it was in its ....!!!) Back out again tomorrow for the easy 5K/3Miler for the third of the four weekly runs. Steady as she goes. First week of 18 almost done when I look at it like that!

Today's most important lesson learned would be this. Water in the fridge before the run. I went out with two small bottles on a running belt. I figured play it safe with the high temps even if I could have gotten away with just one. Well - didn't take too long before the water felt warm. So next time, I might just have a cool bottle of water handy to just use to fill up the smaller bottles before a run!

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    Farmers tan here!!! and it seems to be stronger on one arm than the other - think its something to do with the route I'm running regularly and the direction of the sunlight! Will have to change direction!

I have a tan line where my Garmin sits on my wrist! I'm going to enjoy seeing the line get more prominent the more I run!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

True story:

It's my wedding anniversary this week and I got the jump on this one early and got my wife a nice present a few days early (extra brownie points in the bag).

So yesterday evening, my wife asked me what I wanted, so I held her hand and looked deep into her eyes, kissed her gently on the cheek and whispered into her ear. She looked at me and said 'really?' and I said 'yes really!'. She then said 'oh go on then'..... so she signed me up the Rock n Roll Half Marathon in August ....:D

So happy.......I finally have a wife that truly understands me ;)

smashiner wrote: »
    True story:

It's my wedding anniversary this week and I got the jump on this one early and got my wife a nice present a few days early (extra brownie points in the bag).

So yesterday evening, my wife asked me what I wanted, so I held her hand and looked deep into her eyes, kissed her gently on the cheek and whispered into her ear. She looked at me and said 'really?' and I said 'yes really!'. She then said 'oh go on then'..... so she signed me up the Rock n Roll Half Marathon in August ....:D

Ha! Brilliant. Eh... you have seen this year's route though right? :eek:

smashiner wrote: »
    True story:

That's brilliant!!!!!!

I realised my husband was my soul mate the day I came in from a long run and he had an ice cold bath ready for me with a glass of Guinness!! True love right there.

I've signed up for the rock n Roll Half too, months ago when I was planning my summer races. Then I saw the route for this year... Holy moly.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement