Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'm a little confused about what pace I should be running at. I think I understand the lsr- run slow, I'm a snail so I've got that one down! But my other midweek runs? My instinct is to run as fast as I can tolerate but I know I'm doing it wrong as my race times and training times aren't all that different. I feel like I'm racing all my runs and on race day I've nothing more to give. Should I be slowing all my runs down, even when I'm slow anyway? Thanks guys
    Hope that made sense!

Yes slow them all down. That's what will enable you to run further and get fitter. The faster bit comes later! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

So the new saucony runners arrived today, went well on their first outing. Next step new socks 😂 Do the 1000 mile ones live up to the hype or are there any other brands tried and tested amongst the group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

Helenasca wrote: »
    So the new saucony runners arrived today, went well on their first outing. Next step new socks 😂 Do the 1000 mile ones live up to the hype or are there any other brands tried and tested amongst the group?

I’m no expert but find the 1000 miles socks slip down my runner and have had blisters in them. I actually find the socks from Lidl great and a bargain. They had them last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

effibear wrote: »
    I’m no expert but find the 1000 miles socks slip down my runner and have had blisters in them. I actually find the socks from Lidl great and a bargain. They had them last week.

Yeah, I think socks are very individual. The thinner/lighter the better for me, sockettes even, usually Pennies or Dunnes.

Some Dunnes ones even have motivational quotes on the trim: 'Run like the wind', 'Believe it, Become it'. What could be better :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Yep, I also had this problem with the low-cut socklet from 1000mile.

The twin skin socklet from "hilly" (which has the same blister-prevention as 1000mile) is better but still will slide down occasionally. Have never tried the Lidl ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Helenasca wrote: »
    So the new saucony runners arrived today, went well on their first outing. Next step new socks �� Do the 1000 mile ones live up to the hype or are there any other brands tried and tested amongst the group?

Personally I swear by 1000 mile socks. Buy one pair get one 1/2 price in Elverys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

gypsylee wrote: »
    Training has not even started yet and I have an injury. My right knee was niggling after a run on Wednesday. Rested it, sprayed it, took anti-inflammatories and all was good. Did a 10km organised run yesterday, wore a knee support and straight away my knee was painful. Finished the run in 68 minutes but was wrecked. Was a tough run even though the pace was slow and I have ran the route many times. Very painful knee since. My kneecap is very sore to touch. Have a physio appointment on Wednesday but so disappointed. Between my ankle still niggling since March and now this I wonder will I be able for the training and to make the start line in October. Sorry for the "poor me" post but I am so looking forward to the training plan and now I may be sidelined.

Do not worry Gypsylee similar happened to me about 3 weeks back it could be a knock-on effect from the ankle, you may have been overcompensating without even realising it. my sore knee was my patella tendon one physio session and I iced it as well no problems since. something is probably tight somewhere physio will get you sorted and good your going now get checked for any other potential weak areas so you can correct now and prevent and injury

This goes for everyone doing some S&C working on core/ glutes working on hip flexors -10 to 15 minutes 3 times a week will really help everyone avoid injuries

Dynamic stretches before you run and static stretches when you finish

Get out a foam roller and a ball and work on your feet upwards

do not be like me, find out the hard way that they need to be done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

This goes for everyone doing some S&C working on core/ glutes working on hip flexors -10 to 15 minutes 3 times a week will really help everyone avoid injuries

Dynamic stretches before you run and static stretches when you finish

Get out a foam roller and a ball and work on your feet upwards

do not be like me, find out the hard way that they need to be done :D[/QUOTE]

+1 to all of that!
    I was not convinced about foam rollers and for years I scoffed at the idea of using one, but I have to say that if used properly for 10 or so minutes, they can really sort you out with tight muscles etc. (rolling my calves is really helping me with an Achilles strain at the moment).

Just a small thought on wearing strappings, I used to wear an ankle strapping for years when running due to an old footie injury and I was advised on Boards by a 'learned individual' (think he is a physio), that the ankle support may in fact be hindering blood flow to the ankle/foot, so I took a leap of faith and ran my next LSR without it ..........hey presto....the problem went away!

I still wear the odd knee/hamstring/ankle strapping when recovering from a niggle a first small run, but I try to ditch them asap and use cross training (swimming/bike) to help build strength around the injured area.

Ah the joys of long distance running ;)....one of the biggest challenges that all marathon runners face is getting to start line in one piece, so niggles can be part and parcel of the process, just make sure that you get proper treatment from your Physio/Therapist/Witch Doctor before a niggle becomes a full blown injury.

Stay positive folks as the body can recover very quickly with the right treatment and a few days rest.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

smashiner use a ball on your feet as well I find it great for my Achilles as well and do it every day as eccentric heel drops! mind that strain I was getting ready for a Marathon up to 27km on my LSR and have barely managed 5km over the last nearly 3 months because of injury to mine!
    I am on the mend now and slowly progressing at last :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

I plan on doing my lsr on a Sunday. Would it work to move the Sunday run to a Saturday or better to do it on a Monday? I can only commit to the 5 days running. I’m following the boards plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I plan on doing my lsr on a Sunday. Would it work to move the Sunday run to a Saturday or better to do it on a Monday? I can only commit to the 5 days running. I’m following the boards plan.

Better to it in a Monday as it’s the recovery run from your long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Clibee

Hi all,

I have been following since the start but just joined up. I am also joined up on Strava.

I am on week 6 of the HH novice plan.

I am relatively new to running, so I am finding this thread great.

I'm not fast, so keeping the slow pace is just fine for me. But I am running 4/5 times a week and really enjoying it.

5km this morning= 5:52/km- 29:25 mins
    last long run: 14.5 - 7:00/km - 1:41:36

Should I be pushing myself more on short runs??

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Have just converted the HHN1 table into KMs and am looking forward to getting started next week. For anyone who does early morning running, what do you recommend to eat before heading out? Particularly thinking of the LSR so as not to get a stitch/cramp/feel unwell during it. I did the Cork half marathon and a peanut butter sandwich and 2 bananas managed to get me through it, but wondering what works for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Have just converted the HHN1 table into KMs and am looking forward to getting started next week. For anyone who does early morning running, what do you recommend to eat before heading out? Particularly thinking of the LSR so as not to get a stitch/cramp/feel unwell during it. I did the Cork half marathon and a peanut butter sandwich and 2 bananas managed to get me through it, but wondering what works for others.

I'm far from an expert but I do a lot of early morning running. If it's midweek I usually run on empty. For my lsr I take half a banana. I can't run with any food in my stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

degzs wrote: »
    Is there anyone doing LSR around Galway city as finding it hard to get the miles in?

I am the the 10 mile mark but finding it hard to get motivated.

If you contact GCH, they have groups that meet and run together - they have beginners, improvers and advanced i believe although they use different terminology for the different groups. You might find a group to suit your pace?

I would just move everything out a day so Monday->Tuesday, Tuesday->Wed, Wed->Thurs etc. Although if it doesn't suit you to move all the midweek runs then at least move Sunday->Monday because it is a recovery run and best done the day after the lsr.
    Clibee wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have been following since the start but just joined up. I am also joined up on Strava.

I'm not fast, so keeping the slow pace is just fine for me. But I am running 4/5 times a week and really enjoying it.

Thanks

Welcome Clibee. No i wouldn't be pushing yourself on any of the runs right now. The important thing is to get miles (many many miles :pac:) in the legs and time on the feet. If you push the pace on the runs you are risking injury and risking not being able to get the mileage required done. Stick to easy running unless otherwise stated on the plan :)

Can i ask why you're on week 6 - are you doing an earlier marathon or just getting ahead of the plan?

Welcome also pilot1087. We'll be starting the HHN1 plan next week so we'll discuss the first week's training in more detail closer to the weekend.

Eoineo congrats on the HM. Make sure you take a few days to recover now and ease back into running later in the week. Epsom salts in a bath are great if you are still feeling a bit stiff and sore.

racersedge, congrats also on the 10k pb. That's a great time! And good luck in Dunshaughlin too!

Helenasca i prefer Lidl socks myself but it's very individual. They had the socks in Lidl in store last week - they may have some left in your local store.

gypsylee good luck with the physio tomorrow. I hope it is easily resolved. And don't panic, it's early days yet ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 PenguinEggs

Hi,
    Signed up for Dublin last year but other commitments got in the way so I stopped training after Half Marathon stage at the end of August
    Have you raced before? Yes
    If so what are your PBs? Half - Tullamore Harriers last year 2:04, 5km - ~24:30, 10km ~55:00

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? Not during current training which has 11km longest run
    How much training do you currently do ? 20 miles/32k a week - 3 mid week runs - usually a fast (for me! 5min/k pace) 5k and two 8-9k tempo (~5:20-:5:30) with a long slow run (6min/k pace) at the w/e to make up the rest
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? Dream 4 hours - Realistic 4:30
    How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? I was on HalHigdon Novice 1 last year as it fits in nicely with Tullamore HM. This year I upping to HH Novice 2 so I'll be following the current pattern of 3 mid week (Tues, Wed, Thurs) + Long run on Saturday with a swim on Sunday
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? Bonking in the last 10k
    Why are you running this marathon? Gotta try at least once!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I have porridge before my LSRs and porridge is what I'll eat before the marathon.

For any other, rare, early morning runs, I don't eat. I need two hours between eating and running or I get plagued with stitches. This sometimes means getting up at 6am to get breakfast in before an LSR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

what are your PBs? Half - Tullamore Harriers last year 2:04, 5km - ~24:30, 10km ~55:00...
    How much training do you currently do ? 20 miles/32k a week - 3 mid week runs - usually a fast (for me! 5min/k pace) 5k and two 8-9k tempo (~5:20-:5:30) with a long slow run (6min/k pace) at the w/e to make up the rest
    What do you want to achieve? .... Dream 4 hours - Realistic 4:30

4 hour marathon pace is about 5:40/km, 4:30 pace is about 6:20/km

You are running 3 times a week faster than your 10k PB pace, and your long slow run at your half marathon PB pace.

Unless you have gotten a lot fitter since you raced last, this approach isn't sustainable.

RayCun wrote: »
    4 hour marathon pace is about 5:40/km, 4:30 pace is about 6:20/km

You are running 3 times a week faster than your 10k PB pace, and your long slow run at your half marathon PB pace.

Unless you have gotten a lot fitter since you raced last, this approach isn't sustainable.

I haven't started my marathon training yet and yes I have got considerably fitter since last year. Thanks

Clibee wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks

Hi and welcome. Have you run any races so far? For your marathon training there will not be much difference in paces between any runs. If you are nicely comfortable at your long run pace then your shorter runs should also be done at a similar pace. Without any background I would still this 5:52 is a bit on the quick side.

• Advertisement

I haven't started my marathon training yet and yes I have got considerably fitter since last year. Thanks

Rays point still applies. Doing two 5k runs in a time only 30 secs slower than your PB and a long run at a pace not much slower than your 10k best indicates that you are pushing too hard on training runs. When are you next doing races to get a gauge of current fitness?

This is a common habit among new runners. It was the best lesson I learned last year from this thread. I used to be somewhat dismissive of the slow down advice until I felt the benefits. This year I'm on the other side of the fence, throwing my arms in the air in exasperation as I follow the novices Strava :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

This year I'm on the other side of the fence, throwing my arms in the air in exasperation as I follow the novices Strava :pac:[/QUOTE]

You will be well exasperated with us by October

gypsylee wrote: »
    This year I'm on the other side of the fence, throwing my arms in the air in exasperation as I follow the novices Strava :pac:

You will be well exasperated with us by October[/QUOTE]

I won't! It'll sink in for those who are still sceptical and the last Sunday in October will be but a triumphant march to McGrattans for some celebratory fizzies :D

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Rays point still applies. Doing two 5k runs in a time only 30 secs slower than your PB and a long run at a pace not much slower than your 10k best indicates that you are pushing too hard on training runs. When are you next doing races to get a gauge of current fitness?

This is a common habit among new runners. It was the best lesson I learned last year from this thread. I used to be somewhat dismissive of the slow down advice until I felt the benefits. This year I'm on the other side of the fence, throwing my arms in the air in exasperation as I follow the novices Strava :pac:

I am running long, currently 20secs/k slower than goal pace. When I start M training that'll drop to more like 40-45 (6.15/k).
    I'm not doing two 5k 30sec slower then my PB - I'm doing one 5k 30 sec slower and two 8-9k at tempo. My tempo runs are at tempo for last 2/3, first more like M pace or slower for first 1/3
    The month prior to M training has been to get my strength and conditioning up in order to slot into the actual marathon training easier
    Like I said - this is what I am currently running, not what I'm planing on doing in M training

Good job I'm not on Strava though:pac:

skyblue46 wrote: »

To give you an example to reinforce Skyblue's point - my 5k pb is circa 23:30 and on a easy run i run 5k in 32:30! My 10k pb is circa 50 mins and on an easy 60 minute run i cover about 9.2km!

Everyone's pace is different but i'm putting mine out there to illustrate the gap between easy pace and race pace... we are not talking about running a few seconds slower, we are talking in minutes :)

It was a hard lesson for all of us once so we empathise with how difficult it is to put into practice but honestly, you won't look back, and this time next year some of you will be in our shoes throwing your arms in exasperation :P

Editted to add this advice isn't for any one novice in particular but for the all novice marathon runners (fast & slow alike) :)

ariana` wrote: »
    To give you an example to reinforce Skyblue's point - my 5k pb is circa 23:30 and on a easy run i run 5k in 32:30! My 10k pb is circa 50 mins and on an easy 60 minute run i cover about 9.2km!

Everyone's pace is different but i'm putting mine out there to illustrate the gap between easy pace and race pace... we are not talking about running a few seconds slower, we are talking in minutes :)

It was a hard lesson for all of us once so we empathise with how difficult it is to put into practice but honestly, you won't look back, and this time next year some of you will be in our shoes throwing your arms in exasperation :P

Editted to add this advice isn't for any one novice in particular but for the all novice marathon runners (fast & slow alike) :)

So my planned training pace is around your slow run pace. With my 5/10k pbs begin a bit slower than yours do you think my training pace should be slower by a similar margin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

My 5k PB is 20.5x, my easy runs are done at 6 - 6.10 k's, I'm sure the guys were asking the same questions last year, trust the process. When the likes of RayC dip into this thread sit up and take note what they say, its constructive

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Editted to add this advice isn't for any one novice in particular but for the all novice marathon runners (fast & slow alike) :)[/QUOTE]

Quick question so, if my HM PB is 1:49 (petrol and matches for me ;)) 10K PB is 48:10, and I want to target a sub 4 DCM, what pace should I run my LSR's at? I was running them at 6:00 a km thinking that I was a great lad slowing down....should I slow down even further??

This will be my third DCM and I am following an ASIC's plan and I think that is what it is telling me :rolleyes:

Would appreciate a steer on this one.

So my planned training pace is around your slow run pace. With my 5/10k pbs begin a bit slower than yours do you think my training pace should be slower by a similar margin?
    I would say you could use a similar margin, yes. Or here is a pace calculator. You can input a recent race time and there is a link to 'training paces' on the left hand side. If you feel your race times don't reflect your current fitness then you try a park run on Saturday morning if it was convenient for you :)

• Advertisement

In a word...yes! All runs with the exception of the MP miles (if you're following the boards plan) in the 6:15/6:45 range. Running 5:20s at this point is of no little benefit to your marathon. That's only 20 sec a km slower than many who are aiming at 3 hour marathon do lots of their runs.

Advertisement