Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Dunshaughlin for me! Ran it last year, well run event, and nice course too... bit of a drag / hill around 7km mark if I remember correctly but manageable :)

Great. It'd be nice to say hello there. I'll keep my eyes open for you :)

chabsey wrote: »
    That's this year's plan :)

So 3 hours is the new target? Fair play. I'm looking forward to following your training. Are you in the Strava group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

skyblue46 wrote: »
    So 3 hours is the new target? Fair play. I'm looking forward to following your training. Are you in the Strava group?

I wish! No, I'm aiming for something more realistic this time so anything 3:30 or less will keep me happy.

I feel like I'll jinx it though as I was so clueless last time and yet managed a pretty decent time. Now that I'm taking it more seriously I have a bad feeling that I'll end up running it slower somehow!

chabsey wrote: »
    I wish! No, I'm aiming for something more realistic this time so anything 3:30 or less will keep me happy.

I feel like I'll jinx it though as I was so clueless last time and yet managed a pretty decent time. Now that I'm taking it more seriously I have a bad feeling that I'll end up running it slower somehow!

That's highly unlikely. You probably have to potential to run much faster with a structured training plan. Your first effort definitely indicates that. I'd say no worse than 3:20. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Are any of you doing either the Dunshaughlin 10k or Irish Runner 5 mile this weekend?

Yep will be doing it. One of my fave races. Pretty course, well organised with tea and biccies after :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Argh! Just realised that I now can't do the South Dublin 10k but will definitely be running in the half marathon in September.

Can anyone recommend any good races taking place around July time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Have just converted the HHN1 table into KMs and am looking forward to getting started next week. For anyone who does early morning running, what do you recommend to eat before heading out? Particularly thinking of the LSR so as not to get a stitch/cramp/feel unwell during it. I did the Cork half marathon and a peanut butter sandwich and 2 bananas managed to get me through it, but wondering what works for others.

Hi downtheroad, been meaning to answer this the last couple of days. It’s quite individual what people eat and also how long you need to give between eating and running. Over the last couple of years while I’ve been training I’ve gone from porridge to overnight oats to baked oats (eggs and oats baked with yogurt and I make them the night before). Some days I’m quite lax and will just have a bagel or two slices of toast with peanut butter. It’s definitely become less importent to me the longer I have been running but as I get closer to marathon day I do try to have the breakfast I’ll have on the day for long runs too.

I would have often eaten and be running 45 mins later. I don’t normally get stitches as running so slowly anyway for the long run.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Hi downtheroad, been meaning to answer this the last couple of days. It’s quite individual what people eat and also how long you need to give between eating and running. Over the last couple of years while I’ve been training I’ve gone from porridge to overnight oats to baked oats (eggs and oats baked with yogurt and I make them the night before). Some days I’m quite lax and will just have a bagel or two slices of toast with peanut butter. It’s definitely become less importent to me the longer I have been running but as I get closer to marathon day I do try to have the breakfast I’ll have on the day for long runs too.

I would have often eaten and be running 45 mins later. I don’t normally get stitches as running so slowly anyway for the long run.

I've been meaning to reply too. :pac: I'm from the fasting community before morning runs. When I get up to longer runs I might grab a banana beforehand and in the weeks leading up to DCM I tried out my planned pre DCM breakfast. My reasoning for this is that I wanted to train the body to use its own reserves, namely fat, for energy.

coogy wrote: »
    Argh! Just realised that I now can't do the South Dublin 10k but will definitely be running in the half marathon in September.

Can anyone recommend any good races taking place around July time?

What distance would you like to race? I'm doing at 10 mile in Mullingar at the end of July

What distance would you like to race? I'm doing at 10 mile in Mullingar at the end of July

Anything between a 10k and a 10 miler really.

That sounds like a nice one.

• Advertisement

Anything between a 10k and a 10 miler really.

That sounds like a nice one.

https://www.myrunresults.com/events/mullingar_10_2018/2672/details

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

PMP:

How do you know what’s your perfect pmp?
    Does it change as you work through the weeks of the plans- fitter and possibly faster?
    Do I say 4hr marathon is 9:10 so that’s what I’m going to pick - even though I might be currently way off that expectation or do I pick a finish time of 4:15 and pick that appropriate PMP?

I am over thinking this aren’t I?

Basically I’d like to pick 9:10 but maybe that’s too aggressive a target?

Anyone on strava that can see my runs that could offer advice would be appreciated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

I ran Mullingars half marathon back in March. Very well organised event and great support from the locals. If the same group are involved it will be a great event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Do I say 4hr marathon is 9:10

When you are working out your marathon pace, you have to remember that your Garmin will read something like 26.7 miles at the finish line. The course is accurate, but you won't run the shortest line. So your marathon pace needs to be a little faster - 4 hour pace is about 9:02. Call it 9 even to make it easier to track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Very jealous of this! It would make the LSR logistics so much easier.
    I've been meaning to reply too. :pac: I'm from the fasting community before morning runs. When I get up to longer runs I might grab a banana beforehand and in the weeks leading up to DCM I tried out my planned pre DCM breakfast. My reasoning for this is that I wanted to train the body to use its own reserves, namely fat, for energy.

I need to work towards this. I'm fine faster up to about an hour of running but really notice the absence of brek after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

First time of back to back runs, felt generally ok. did strides afterwards, 5x100m as per next weeks plan. Think I have them sussed from these links:
    https://runnersconnect.net/strides-how-strides-can-help-you-run-faster/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq9gLXAD-WQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS9rFdeCjuk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I went to the physio yesterday. I have a tight IT band which is causing my knee pain. She worked on the area and gave me a programme of stretching exercises to do every day to strengthen my glutes, hamstring and quads along with foam rolling. She also worked on my ankle which is still not quite injury free and got more exercises for that also. No running for me next week so I will miss the first week of the plan. Not ideal but she hopes that I will be back running the following week. I can cycle instead though. Fingers crossed I will be back on the road soon. I have to admit I did not realise the importance of doing stretching but I do now.

Huzzah! wrote: »

I need to work towards this. I'm fine faster up to about an hour of running but really notice the absence of brek after that.

Only works for very slow runs for me.

Same with me for the fasting. I’m trying to increase the time I can run without breakfast. I used need to take gels or jellies for anything over 1.5 hours but have increased that to over 2 hours now. Takes time ... and confidence too. I still carry a small pack of haribo if doing 10-13 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Huzzah! wrote: »

Ummm... I would often (ok I'll be honest, usually) have eaten and be running 10 mins later! Not something I recommend, just have never managed to get up early enough to eat an hour before :o

Question about races, since a few are being discussed here. The only thing I really want to make sure I run in lead up is a half marathon, I guess probably in September? I can't make the race series half so was considering Charleville, but if there was something closer to Dublin that would be much handier. Anyone know of any good ones that might fit the bill?

• Advertisement

gypsylee wrote: »
    I went to the physio yesterday. I have a tight IT band which is causing my knee pain. She worked on the area and gave me a programme of stretching exercises to do every day to strengthen my glutes, hamstring and quads along with foam rolling. She also worked on my ankle which is still not quite injury free and got more exercises for that also. No running for me next week so I will miss the first week of the plan. Not ideal but she hopes that I will be back running the following week. I can cycle instead though. Fingers crossed I will be back on the road soon. I have to admit I did not realise the importance of doing stretching but I do now.

Glad you got to see the physio and that uou’ll Be back running in a week. Baby75 might help here but I think if you cycle 3 times the distance you would have run it works out the same aerobically. I could have that totally wrong but there is a guideline that somebody might be able to give you the correct version of.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

eyrie wrote: »
    Question about races, since a few are being discussed here. The only thing I really want to make sure I run in lead up is a half marathon, I guess probably in September? I can't make the race series half so was considering Charleville, but if there was something closer to Dublin that would be much handier. Anyone know of any good ones that might fit the bill?

There's a half in Tullamore towards the end of August that I'm planning on doing. I ran it a good few years back and it was a fantastic race.

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    There's a half in Tullamore towards the end of August that I'm planning on doing. I ran it a good few years back and it was a fantastic race.

Thanks, I'll look it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Not necessarily closer to Dublin, but nicely timed for DCM, is the "Ros go Run" half in Loughglynn, Roscommon. Date is 9th Sept. Have not run it ever so can't comment on the route. I think it's a fairly small pool of runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Ummm... I would often (ok I'll be honest, usually) have eaten and be running 10 mins later! Not something I recommend, just have never managed to get up early enough to eat an hour before :o

Two hours before for me for an LSR; and three hours if racing. I see 6am a lot more than I used to.

10 mile any good? https://www.myrunresults.com/events/st._cocas_(kilcock)_10_mile_(mrr)/2596/details

Charleville is on my bucketlist, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

https://www.myrunresults.com/events/ratoath_half_marathon__5k/2475/details

There’s this one also about 6 weeks or so out from DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭cullenswood

As mentioned, food is person dependent, and what you are used to. I have done up to 24k first thing in the morning with only a glass of water on board. I was used to this though, having initially started from a 9k first thing in the morning.

Races depend on time. Usually a banana or a bowl of porridge, or maybe scrambled eggs a couple of hours before, and a cup of coffee to "get things moving".

OK, this is a total long shot but if you don't ask.............

We're off on holidays to Bulgaria on 6th August for two weeks. Thing is, it clashes with a 14 mile and 16 mile run at the end of each of the two weeks.
    I've been trying to map out some routes but a lot of the roads outside of where we're staying don't look very run-friendly and I'd be a little concerned for my safety.

So here's the long shot: I don't suppose anyone here has stayed at the Royal Sun apartments in Bulgaria in the middle of their marathon training session and successfully squeezed in a 14 mile and 16 mile run?

(worth a try).......

Edit: looks like someone has mapped a 12 mile run on Map My Run. That will do for starters.......I'll find the extra miles from somewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭cullenswood

OK, this is a total long shot but if you don't ask.............

We're off on holidays to Bulgaria on 6th August for two weeks. Thing is, it clashes with a 14 mile and 16 mile run at the end of each of the two weeks.
    I've been trying to map out some routes but a lot of the roads outside of where we're staying don't look very run-friendly and I'd be a little concerned for my safety.

So here's the long shot: I don't suppose anyone here has stayed at the Royal Sun apartments in Bulgaria in the middle of their marathon training session and successfully squeezed in a 14 mile and 16 mile run?

(worth a try).......

Edit: looks like someone has mapped a 12 mile run on Map My Run. That will do for starters.......I'll find the extra miles from somewhere!

Check out Strava Heatmaps around the area you are staying. That will give you a good idea where other people run.
    The route planner on Strava also has a setting that will automatically bring you on to the more popular routes, hence avoiding the places where people don't run. I find that very handy when travelling somewhere new

Advertisement