Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

coogy wrote: »
    OK, this is a total long shot but if you don't ask.............

We're off on holidays to Bulgaria on 6th August for two weeks. Thing is, it clashes with a 14 mile and 16 mile run at the end of each of the two weeks.
    I've been trying to map out some routes but a lot of the roads outside of where we're staying don't look very run-friendly and I'd be a little concerned for my safety.

So here's the long shot: I don't suppose anyone here has stayed at the Royal Sun apartments in Bulgaria in the middle of their marathon training session and successfully squeezed in a 14 mile and 16 mile run?

(worth a try).......

Edit: looks like someone has mapped a 12 mile run on Map My Run. That will do for starters.......I'll find the extra miles from somewhere!

Hopefully you’ll get some guidance over there too but maybe post this in Random Running Questions as more people might see it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

gypsylee wrote:
    I went to the physio yesterday. I have a tight IT band which is causing my knee pain. She worked on the area and gave me a programme of stretching exercises to do every day to strengthen my glutes, hamstring and quads along with foam rolling. She also worked on my ankle which is still not quite injury free and got more exercises for that also. No running for me next week so I will miss the first week of the plan. Not ideal but she hopes that I will be back running the following week. I can cycle instead though. Fingers crossed I will be back on the road soon. I have to admit I did not realise the importance of doing stretching but I do now.

I am suffering from the exact same thing. If you could give me an idea of the exercises I'd really appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Helenasca wrote: »
    I am suffering from the exact same thing. If you could give me an idea of the exercises I'd really appreciate it.

Majority of people will tend to have muscular fatigue/weakness in glute medius

This is a great exercise for anyone who is relatively new to the sport before they ever get near a long run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJTt5WZ7RYU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Some fantastic work being recorded here already. Great to see so many contributions. Looking forward to watching the progress of this thread!

For those of you running the Irish Runner 5 Mile, here's a short course guide that may be of interest.

Start/Mile 1

This will be the first time running among such large numbers for many of you. Regardless of which wave you line up in, the start will be very hectic, and you'll find lots of maniacs tearing off. Ignore them, and concentrate on your own race.

The first mile begins with a downhill stretch along Chesterfield, towards the Phoenix Monument, before turning left onto Odd Lamp Road. The route then levels off on Odd Lamp Road, and there shouldn't be anything to worry you until you take the sharp left onto the North Road. The profile changes to a slow, slightly uphill drag, and the wind can be against you too.

Mile 2

Shortly after you pass the Hole In The Wall pub, you'll begin the second mile and continue ever so slightly uphill. The route gets very exposed after you pass Ashtown Gate (1.25 miles approx.) as you lose the tree cover before you drop downhill towards the Mountjoy (Castleknock) Roundabout. At the roundabout, you'll turn left, and although the first few yards are slightly uphill, you go downhill again towards the 2 mile marker.

Mile 3

Immediately after passing the mile marker, you turn around and go up the other side of Chesterfield Avenue, to the roundabout, where you turn left again, onto Ordnance Survey Road this time. Shortly after halfway, you'll pass the OSI HQ and hopefully you'll still be in good shape. There's a sharp little dip just after you turn right at the crossroads, but it doesn't last long and shouldn't take too much out of you.

Mile 4

If you've judged your race correctly, this is where you'll really start to make up places. There may be a wind in your face as you head along "Oldtown Road" towards Knockmaroon Gate. However, once you turn left and head for the Furry Glen, you're into a superfast downhill for about a quarter of a mile until you reach the pond. It's tempting to really go full tilt here, but you've got to save some energy for the tough climb away from the pond. It starts off easy enough, but gets steadily steeper to the top, and then the sharp turn onto the Upper Glen Road has caught numerous runners out over the years (myself included, more than once!) You're still climbing slightly towards the twisty section through the trees and the end of this mile.

Mile 5
    Only one mile left, what are you waiting for? 1f600 Seeing runners passing the pond far below will tell you just how much you've ascended in a short distance. There's no more hills to climb, and if you're lucky, you'll have the breeze behind you for the final stretch along Furze Road. It's very straight, and you'll be able to see the finish line from nearly half a mile out. Go for it, you might as well 95OFqdVcbxV7HyDu8FBaqDEMnjd1K_DBHF1-4ta_t0evKc3TKpONQCzH46BzVgaxCMFS4gSf8yia0jXSkNOrebjAZ9RoFAZNsstWBA=s0-d-e1-ft#http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.png and if you're passing loads of people here, you won't want that straight to end lmsv2KU8I1rZRDo4EAOOznsngg-XnnfdXppwYAx8hAdsGwMWS-LzS2ODlGatyVK-h_V7bua80OvTSfy20-jnDNF1zg5QzDJs2ujcKn2v=s0-d-e1-ft#http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Did anyone try running by heart rate before and how did you find it?
    I have been reading about running using the MAF test based heart zones.

For me this equates to roughly 77% of my maximal heart rate (MHR). Having done a half marathon last weekend in Wicklow this week was planned to be a slow easy one anyhow so I headed out yesterday to do an easy flattish 10k at around 77% MHR average.
    The first 6k was very slow, about 9'45 per mile pace versus my usual easy pace of around 8'30'ish. But I found my knees were taking an absolute battering (increased ground contact time due to slower pace) and I sped up to a more normal pace for the remaining few KM.

This morning I have worse DOMS than after the half last weekend!
    I guess that the slower pace changed my form a lot leading to the muscle soreness.

I have read some papers on google scholar that maximal aerobic levels are closer to 80/81% MHR which probably is a better fit for me, I noticed yesterday when back at my normal easyish pace my heart rate was around 83% so probably slowing just a little to around 9'00 per mile is the sweet spot for longer easy pace runs for me with hopefully less DOMS and knee pain.

Has anyone else tried running very slow and had an adverse reaction like this?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Helenasca wrote: »

These are the exercises I was recommended to do.

Glute Bridges - 10 second X 2
    Lunges - 10 second each side
    Squats - 10 second X 2
    Wall Sits - 10 second X 3

Quad Stretch - Hamstring Stretch - Groin Stretch - Glute Stretch. Hold for 20 seconds.

Foam Rolling and using the ball on my ankle and under my foot.

If anyone could recommend any videos which show the correct way to do the stretches that would be great as I am not sure I am doing them right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Majority of people will tend to have muscular fatigue/weakness in glute medius

This is a great exercise for anyone who is relatively new to the sport before they ever get near a long run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJTt5WZ7RYU

Thanks for sharing this. Will definitely be doing this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

When I had knee pain I found these guys very good though very cheesy ;) I had patellar tendinitis but the same principles apply, stretching, strengthening and foam rolling.

Here is a link to some of their stretches for IT band stretches.

https://youtu.be/ERylaMvyDbM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Good luck

to everyone racing this weekend, whether you're doing Dunshaughlin 10k, The Irish Runner 5m or any another race or parkrun!!!

Pace yourselves but don't be afraid to give it socks especially in the latter kms/miles ;)

Drink plenty between now and toeing the start line - it's going to be a warm weekend by all accounts so you will need to be well hydrated.

We're almost at the start of our marathon training plans - whoop whoop whoop so enjoy one last blow out before getting stuck into some hard week's running ahead.

And don't forget the most important part of racing - report back here afterwards :D

Later in the weekend we'll talk about the Boards & NNH1 plans for next week - i hope everyone's as excited as I am to be finally at this stage!!

Have a good weekend everyone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Wubble Wubble that brings back very good memories :) I remember running that last year and enjoying every second of it even in the heat it was a very warm day.
    Great course guide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Good evening folks. You may or may not have noticed (depending on how often you log on or how far back the thread you read) that Kellygirl is doing a bit of a tidy up on the group Strava page. We'll be trying to keep the group to the novice contributors here.....and the 3 of us! :D Thanks to those of you who sent a PM to confirm who you are on Strava, much appreciated. We'll be clearing out any other names from Strava over the weekend so if you missed it first time around or just forgot please PM myself or Kellygirl. (the boss insists Kellygirl does nothing but drink beer on holidays! :D)

Thanks a million. Have a great weekend of running, enjoy the heat, hydrate well and most importantly.......don't forget the sunscreen! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

ariana` wrote: »
    Good luck

Later in the weekend we'll talk about the Boards & NNH1 plans for next week - i hope everyone's as excited as I am to be finally at this stage!!

Have a good weekend everyone :)

Big time, things about to get serious from here! Looking forward to it :-)

Good luck over the weekend everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Good evening folks. You may or may not have noticed (depending on how often you log on or how far back the thread you read) that Kellygirl is doing a bit of a tidy up on the group Strava page. We'll be trying to keep the group to the novice contributors here.....and the 3 of us! :D Thanks to those of you who sent a PM to confirm who you are on Strava, much appreciated. We'll be clearing out any other names from Strava over the weekend so if you missed it first time around or just forgot please PM myself or Kellygirl. (the boss insists Kellygirl does nothing but drink beer on holidays! :D)

Thanks a million. Have a great weekend of running, enjoy the heat, hydrate well and most importantly.......don't forget the sunscreen! :)

Thanks to all involved in the admin of the thread- and best of luck to ye moderating this thread the next 18 or so weeks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Yeah, looking forward to the hard work both mentally and physically that lies ahead.

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Thanks to all involved in the admin of the thread- and best of luck to ye moderating this thread the next 18 or so weeks!!!

Thanks so much for that. Yeah the 3 of us will also be training for our 2nd DCM. If it's any consolation on the tough days just remember we are feeling the same pain. :pac:

gypsylee wrote:
    These are the exercises I was recommended to do.

Tks a mil will def give them a go

When I had knee pain I found these guys very good though very cheesy I had patellar tendinitis but the same principles apply, stretching, strengthening and foam rolling.

a 'BIT' cheesey eh lol

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Peterpower

Hey everyone,

Looking forward to feeding my running addiction over the next few months!!

Having never ran more than 5k I started training properly for the first time last September and did my first marathon in Seville just February gone. Unfortunately I undid all my good work over the last 3 months but can't wait to get back into it again!!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    Half Marathon 1:42
    Marathon 3:53

How much training do you currently do?
    Pushing to get to 20 miles a week

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    3:30

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Pete Pfitzinger, Scott Douglas plan (not quite at the level they aim the plan for but will cut the distances in the plan to suit).

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Keeping myself injury free so i actually make it to the start line!

Supercell wrote: »
    Did anyone try running by heart rate before and how did you find it?
    I have been reading about running using the MAF test based heart zones.

For me this equates to roughly 77% of my maximal heart rate (MHR). Having done a half marathon last weekend in Wicklow this week was planned to be a slow easy one anyhow so I headed out yesterday to do an easy flattish 10k at around 77% MHR average.
    The first 6k was very slow, about 9'45 per mile pace versus my usual easy pace of around 8'30'ish. But I found my knees were taking an absolute battering (increased ground contact time due to slower pace) and I sped up to a more normal pace for the remaining few KM.

This morning I have worse DOMS than after the half last weekend!
    I guess that the slower pace changed my form a lot leading to the muscle soreness.

I have read some papers on google scholar that maximal aerobic levels are closer to 80/81% MHR which probably is a better fit for me, I noticed yesterday when back at my normal easyish pace my heart rate was around 83% so probably slowing just a little to around 9'00 per mile is the sweet spot for longer easy pace runs for me with hopefully less DOMS and knee pain.

Has anyone else tried running very slow and had an adverse reaction like this?

I run slow, very slow...80% of the time. I look at people with slower race times than me train daily nearly a min/ mile faster than me. But I'm happy with that because I know I'm taking the right approach. I honestly cannot comment about the likelihood of DOMS being caused by running slowly ( though I think there's probably another reason) or ground contact times but I would persist with the attempt to running slower that you are making.

This is a short but decent read.....https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20828929/train-at-the-right-intensity-ratio/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I've a HM in two weeks, been preparing for that the last while. Race is on at 2pm, if it's as hot as today how much should I reduce my target time by? Target is 1h 50min, which is spot on what the McMillan predictor gives me based on a recent 10 mile time. I figure adding 30s a km would give me a 2h target time if it's a scorcher.

Once the HM is out of the way I think I'll switch to miles. Just seems more convenient once you go up in distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Apologies if I have the wrong thread for this but I've an entry for the DCM that I may not use. Where's the best place to post for people that might want it ?

Carra23 wrote: »
    Apologies if I have the wrong thread for this but I've an entry for the DCM that I may not use. Where's the best place to post for people that might want it ?

Transfers are not allowed for DCM. For this reason no thread, including this one, will be the right thread to post on.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

Hi , second go at the DCM got injured 2 weeks before last year with over training , not enough strength training etc. This year I will be adding in cycling and swimming on a Monday and Wednesday so I keep the pounding of the knees!! I have been running consistently since January and have built the legs up to prepare for the extra mileage. Good luck to everyone !!!!

Have you raced before? Yes
    If so what are your PBs? Clontarf half marathon 1.45 , raheny 5mile 37min ,
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No
    How much training do you currently do ? I try to train 5/6 days a week , this could be cycling running , or strength training
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? Dream time 3.30 , realistic 3.50
    How many days a week can you train? 5/6 days will alter these days with cycling and running . Had a partial rupture in my maniscus 2 weeks before last year's marathon with over training! !!
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? Getting injured!!!!
    Why are you running this marathon? for fun !

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

I was supposed to do the Irish Runner 5 miler but my run buddy/driver for the day had a few too many shandies last night so I had to race against myself in Kildare.
    I aimed for 5min/km and it went great (39:48). I feel like I am getting the hang or running by effort level. I don't think I could of run much faster over the distance but I wasn't killing myself either.
    Looking forward to starting the plan this week. I have it printed and on the fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    I'm so excited, Camel.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hi folks,

So tomorrow is Week 1 of official DCM training for most of you and here is what's on the plans for the week ahead:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun
    NNH1|rest|3m easy|3m easy|3m easy|rest|6m lsr|cross
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|3m easy|4m (5 x100m strides)|3m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|8m lsr|2m rec

As you will see most of the running is at easy pace. This is a pace you should be able to hold a conversation at, you should feel relaxed and not out of breath in any way.

For those doing the boards plan, strides feature this week. I’m guessing strides might be new to some of you so let’s talk about strides!

Strides are a running drill which will get you used to picking up the pace on tired legs without leaving your legs wrecked!

In this case the strides prescribed are 100m long or 20-30 seconds. We recommend you do the strides towards the end of your run preferably on a flat stretch of even road. Take as much recovery (jog recovery) as you need after each one before you start the next one, these are not intended to induce fatigue! You can include these in the prescribed mileage or you can add them on as a little bit extra - either option is ok.

Each stride consists of 3 equal parts
    - controlled acceleration
    - sustained speed of up to 90% of your max speed
    - controlled deceleration

The important thing is to focus on form throughout; stay relaxed & run tall, watch that the shoulders aren’t being hunched/tensed up! Remember these are not a sprint, you should feel in control!

For anyone who is still in doubt about the pace for their easy, lsr and recovery runs - you can use the McMillan Running Calculator, just enter in a recent race or park run time and click the link for Training Paces to guide your training.

I wish you all a super week’s running and do check in and let us know how it’s going for you during the week :)

Last reminder....the cull of the Strava group will be happening tonight. As things stand the numbers will be cut from 45 to 31 so if you're one of the 14 who is on Strava but that we can't connect to a username here just send me a PM.

Thanks folks, I'm off to Croker now...Have a great Sunday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Last reminder....the cull of the Strava group will be happening tonight. As things stand the numbers will be cut from 45 to 31 so if you're one of the 14 who is on Strava but that we can't connect to a username here just send me a PM.

Thanks folks, I'm off to Croker now...Have a great Sunday :D

Meath aren’t playing are they........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Just dropping in to the thread to say good luck to you all and of course the Mentors aswell.

Taking on the marathon is a great challenge and if you take on the advice given on this thread you will be amongst the best prepared toeing the line.

You are taking this challenge on as a group so don't be afraid to help each other out and encourage where needed.

You are in good hands with the Mentors this year. Stay committted to the plan and you will get your reward at the end of October.

C

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Meath aren’t playing are they........

No. It's my county today. The son plays for Meath as I lived there when I was married and unfortunately he's a bona fide Meathman!!

Advertisement