Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Just dropping in from sunny Spain to wish you all good luck starting the plan. Hope everybody is excited and ready to start.

Make sure you update how your runs are going and as I said before maybe now is the time to start a training log. I didn’t last year until after DCM but wish I had done beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Last lsr this evening before I start the Boards plan tomorrow.
    Excited and nervous for the next four months ahead!!!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Just dropping in from sunny Spain to wish you all good luck starting the plan. Hope everybody is excited and ready to start.

Make sure you update how your runs are going and as I said before maybe now is the time to start a training log. I didn’t last year until after DCM but wish I had done beforehand.

I've been keeping a log since last November, just with the date, distance and time of every run I've done. By 'log' you you mean more of a diary/journal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

coogy wrote: »
    Last lsr this evening before I start the Boards plan tomorrow.
    Excited and nervous for the next four months ahead!!!

No reason to be nervous. You have plenty of fitness and speed. All that's left is training the body to run long.

I've been keeping a log since last November, just with the date, distance and time of every run I've done. By 'log' you you mean more of a diary/journal?

There is a section here in the Athletics forum for training logs where you can post your activity. It's great for looking back on and for getting the input of others.

https://touch.boards.ie/forum/1139

• Advertisement

Well it has been done. The Strava group now only consists of novices posting on here, the boss and her 2 devoted helpers. Encourage each other, offer advice, join in and best of all is the game of figuring out who's who :pac:

If you were removed from the group just PM me and we'll get you back in. Happy running!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Well it has been done. The Strava group now only consists of novices posting on here, the boss and her 2 devoted helpers. Encourage each other, offer advice, join in and best of all is the game of figuring out who's who :pac:

If you were removed from the group just PM me and we'll get you back in. Happy running!

My leaderboard position didn’t improve much after the cull ha ha!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 PenguinEggs

Cool. I'll try to get up to marley on Saturday and I'll go like the clappers

Marley Park Run

Told you I go like the clappers - 4hr Marathon back on:pac: (just about;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Well done on a great parkrun time Penguin.

Good luck to everyone with the plans this week. I am back with the physio tonight so fingers crossed I will be able to start the plan next week. Dying to get started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Looks like I'm out of the DCM strava group and also the training for now. Have a niggling hip pain that I'm not willing to allow get worse. Doesn't hurt at all when running but aches afterwards. Physio and rest until I can get over it.

• Advertisement

chabsey wrote: »
    Looks like I'm out of the DCM strava group and also the training for now. Have a niggling hip pain that I'm not willing to allow get worse. Doesn't hurt at all when running but aches afterwards. Physio and rest until I can get over it.

Best of luck with the recovery. Hopefully you get it sorted quickly and maybe get a 15/16 week block done for DCM. If you want back into the Strava group at any time just PM me so we can connect your name here to your Strava profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Really looking forward to getting started on the training... but nervous too! Best of luck to everyone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Seeing as I can't run this week I will use the time productively - like trying to match the usernames here to the "real" names on Strava!

I'm waiting to see a couple of race reports!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

eyrie wrote: »
    Question about races, since a few are being discussed here. The only thing I really want to make sure I run in lead up is a half marathon, I guess probably in September? I can't make the race series half so was considering Charleville, but if there was something closer to Dublin that would be much handier. Anyone know of any good ones that might fit the bill?

JJ Reddy in Danesfort, Kilkenny might be an option for you. It's a well run race, tough but fair course similar to dublins half, great prep for DCM. 16th September :)

Re: race reports - I ran Pink Rock 10k in Rosbercon, Kilkenny yesterday at noon (i.e. It was hot!!) the heat really gets to me and was about 3 minutes over my PB, pacing was all over the place. It was a tough, hilly course with a long section providing no shade whatsoever so explains a lot, not disappointed - post-race chats reassured me that I wasn't the only one!

It was brutal but a beautifully challenging course with a great spread of burgers and cakes after and loads of local support.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Well I could hardly sleep last night with the excitement of starting the training plan today! I felt like a little kid 😊
    Thank you so much to the amazing mentors on this thread.
    Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

First run of the plan done. I'm switching to Mon, Tues and Wednesdays for the short runs and Fri for my LSR.

I think if we all make it out the other side of this heatwave in one piece and still running, DCM will be a breeze. Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

gypsylee wrote: »
    Seeing as I can't run this week I will use the time productively - like trying to match the usernames here to the "real" names on Strava!

Are you ok must check your log !

yep so am I :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Skipped todays run! Did an S&C class instead. So basically swapped my Monday and Tuesday plan for this week. Hitting the road in the morning for 3 miles before work

Hi all,

just wanted to get something straight in my head before I begin the training with the Boards plan. So just a couple questions.......

Is it advisable to stick with the same days for the 3 mile rest/cross/recovery run? In the Boards plan they're scheduled for the Monday and Friday. I'm guessing it's acceptable to use one of them a rest day? If so, could I alternate between a Monday one week and Friday the following week?

Also, the LSR's are scheduled for the Saturday when I have been used to doing them all on Sundays up till now. Should I just stick the schedule as much as possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

The journey has officially started. Got my 3 miles/5 klicks in today when I got home from work. Warm and muggy but a bit of cloud cover ensured she wasn't stifling. Nice easy pace but still worked up quite a sweat given the conditions. Nice to have the first run out of the way.

Hi Coogy - not sure what’s going on with Boards but my replies disappearing into nowhere!

Anyway, perfectly fine to alternate those rest days.

No prob changing the day of long runs but make sure to keep the day after as a recovery run or rest only. Maybe move the other runs accordingly. I used do my long runs on Wednesday’s for Cork as I work Sundays and tried to keep my Saturday runs relatively short to keep time for family stuff.

Hi Coogy - not sure what’s going on with Boards but my replies disappearing into nowhere!

No prob changing the day of long runs but make sure to keep the day after as a recovery run or rest only. Maybe move the other runs accordingly. I used do my long runs on Wednesday’s for Cork as I work Sundays and tried to keep my Saturday runs relatively short to keep time for family stuff.

Thanks Kellygirl!

I think I'd be doing well to get through the plan without mixing it up even just a little bit. That thing called life has a terrible habit of sticking its oar in........

I actually have another question about the interval training part of the plan.

What would you consider 'warm up' pace and what would you consider 'cool down' pace?

Also, am I right in thinking that the inbetween part (the pace run), is marathon pace?

So many questions......

Thanks Kellygirl!

I think I'd be doing well to get through the plan without mixing it up even just a little bit. That thing called life has a terrible habit of sticking its oar in........

I actually have another question about the interval training part of the plan.

What would you consider 'warm up' pace and what would you consider 'cool down' pace?

Also, am I right in thinking that the inbetween part (the pace run), is marathon pace?

So many questions......

I do warm up and cool down and very easy or easy pace and pace run is at the Marathon pace that the calculator gives you now based on your most recent race - as opposed to manned marathon pace which may be different at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

I was waiting for others to report first! And not being very happy with the result but it's ok. Did the Dunshaughlin 10k in just over 57 mins. I was hoping for 55 or 56. It was very warm, even at 7.30pm and there were a few hills though nothing major. Beautiful scenery on a gorgeous evening. Great crowds and lovely coffee and cheese sandwiches and biscuits after. Gosh they hit the spot. The only downside was my own fault, ate a full dinner 3.5 hrs before which wasn't enough time for digestion. Will know for again.

And how was your race?

I was waiting for others to report first! And not being very happy with the result but it's ok. Did the Dunshaughlin 10k in just over 57 mins. I was hoping for 55 or 56. It was very warm, even at 7.30pm and there were a few hills though nothing major. Beautiful scenery on a gorgeous evening. Great crowds and lovely coffee and cheese sandwiches and biscuits after. Gosh they hit the spot. The only downside was my own fault, ate a full dinner 3.5 hrs before which wasn't enough time for digestion. Will know for again.

And how was your race?

Haha. My race report, an epic, can be viewed for free on my training log. I can't do links from the phone for some reason and I'm at work. Well done on your race!

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057806188/27/#post107353555

I do warm up and cool down and very easy or easy pace and pace run is at the Marathon pace that the calculator gives you now based on your most recent race - as opposed to manned marathon pace which may be different at the moment.

Ouch! Unfortunately my most recent race was the Great Ireland Run way back in April. I was happy enough with my time anyway so I'll just have to base it on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Started the boards plan today. I am altering it to suit my working week, I do lsr on a Wednesday.
    Most Wednesdays I meet a friend for it and we usually do about 13miles. I'm going to continue with that and take 2 rest days for the moment and try to pull my lsr to a slower pace.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I've been a bit absent in this thread of late, but back into it now the plans are starting! Got 3 miles in this morning, I was a bit over-exuberant and ran it a bit too fast. Is it just me or is it pretty draining running in this heat?! The pace probably didn't help as well tho...

I'm gonna try sign up to the Strava group if that's ok (sending a DM now). My GPS watch is pretty old-school tho, so I'm thinking of upgrading to one that at least has Bluetooth to sync more easily. Anyone have any recommendations? Was looking at the Forerunner 235 maybe.

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »
    I've been a bit absent in this thread of late, but back into it now the plans are starting! Got 3 miles in this morning, I was a bit over-exuberant and ran it a bit too fast. Is it just me or is it pretty draining running in this heat?! The pace probably didn't help as well tho...

I'm gonna try sign up to the Strava group if that's ok (sending a DM now). My GPS watch is pretty old-school tho, so I'm thinking of upgrading to one that at least has Bluetooth to sync more easily. Anyone have any recommendations? Was looking at the Forerunner 235 maybe.

I know that anybody who has the 235 loves it. Great for setting up workouts too which is very handy. I think the FR 35 also transmits via Bluetooth if you want a simpler watch. There can be really good deals on a amazon so watch out for them. Sports Direct too the odd time.

Advertisement