Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

coogy wrote: »
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    It would be at easy pace with the strides at PMP.

Sorry my post came up twice there.

Oh, I thought the actual run was at PMP (as per the description on the spreadsheet)

:confused:

I know. I doubted myself for a minute and checked with Ariana before replying. You’ll see further down the plan when it’s pace it states which miles are pace but in this case the colour is referring to the pace fore the strides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I know. I doubted myself for a minute and checked with Ariana before replying. You’ll see further down the plan when it’s pace it states which miles are pace but in this case the colour is referring to the pace fore the strides.

Ok, thank you.

I'll get the hang of this eventually, I swear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Planned marathon pace Coogy

Edit - if you scroll to the right of the plan you'll see each column is colour coded with the definitions

The colour coded is relating to the 'strides' in the run, the pace is easy unless it's states 'pace' in the description in which case it's PMP or Planned Marathon Pace. We'll talk more about PMP at the weekend as the first 'pace' run on the plan is next week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

racersedge wrote: »
    Second run this evening and looking at the expected temps.. going to be a hot and sweaty one for sure! I’d ideally push it further into the evening but have to be up at 5am in the morning for work so need to get it done at a reasonable hour! It will stand to us all to get the miles in under these conditions though. That’s what I keep thinking. An excuse to work on the ‘farmers tan’ as well!!!

I've developed a ridiculous shorts tan from running the last few weeks :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Swapped my Strides run to next week and ran a Pace run this morning. I've a HM next weekend so working around that to an extent. Had intended going at HM Pace but wound up more at PMP due to the weather and a hilly route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

eyrie wrote: »
    I've developed a ridiculous shorts tan from running the last few weeks :o

Farmers tan here!!! and it seems to be stronger on one arm than the other - think its something to do with the route I'm running regularly and the direction of the sunlight! Will have to change direction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Day 3 of being unable to run....physio appointment on Friday. I'll have to stop following this thread, doing my head in :)

chabsey wrote: »
    Day 3 of being unable to run....physio appointment on Friday. I'll have to stop following this thread, doing my head in :)

Frustrating! Have you had physio yet or is Friday the first session? Hopefully physio will keep you running. Can you swim or cycle for fitness in the mean time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Frustrating! Have you had physio yet or is Friday the first session? Hopefully physio will keep you running. Can you swim or cycle for fitness in the mean time?

Friday was the first available slot and first appointment with this physio. Second physio appointment in general and sneaking suspicion that current issue might have been caused by over zealous treatment applied during first physio appointment. That and possibly me not giving my body time to recover from the beating :)

Can't swim, do cycle but will see on Friday if a longer term alternative is required. Hopefully not and I'll be back in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Reminder for those who might be intending to join the strava group or who have requested to join but not yet been accepted to have both sent me a PM so that I know the name connected to the thread and also to have introduced yourself here and answered the few questions on the opening post of the thread. Thanks ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Someone at work suggested that I should take bcaa’s and protein whey powder to help recovery- should I? Do you?

Boards to the rescue for homemade protein bars. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055992322

I find that a glass of mooju or a homemade protein bar and a soak in a cold bath(10 mins) is great for sore/tired legs after a long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This heat! Something tells me I'm not getting a PB in the docklands 5k tomorrow night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

This heat! Something tells me I'm not getting a PB in the docklands 5k tomorrow night...

https://media1.giphy.com/media/l49JHIAh6DFBrvJPq/giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

jake1970 wrote: »
    Boards to the rescue for homemade protein bars. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055992322

I find that a glass of mooju or a homemade protein bar and a soak in a cold bath(10 mins) is great for sore/tired legs after a long run.

Great- thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

Hi everyone, sorry I have been MIA for a while!

Having had a very good few months in terms of mileage and discipline, things kind of went to pot for a few weeks in late May and first half of June (work, picked up a hamstring strain on the bog(!) and a holiday. Anyway, I managed to get the show back on the road last week and started the plan proper yesterday.

I think I have lost a nice bit of fitness but it is hard to tell due to the impact of the heat. A few weeks ago I was torn between the HH1 and the Boards plan. I'm not sure I will be able to step up the LSR distances as quickly as will be required in the Boards plan but I am going to try it for the first few weeks and can revert to HH1 if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

Tough slog this evening but got the distance in. Don't know if it was just the heat or the combination of the long day that made me feel pretty leggy at it (working in the childcare profession probably doesn't help - I rack up about 5K worth of movement before I even get to put my runners on). Running at 5:30 didn't help close to the midlands with a reported temp of about 28 degrees (I laugh at Garmin Connect claiming it was 23.something..it was in its ....!!!) Back out again tomorrow for the easy 5K/3Miler for the third of the four weekly runs. Steady as she goes. First week of 18 almost done when I look at it like that!

Today's most important lesson learned would be this. Water in the fridge before the run. I went out with two small bottles on a running belt. I figured play it safe with the high temps even if I could have gotten away with just one. Well - didn't take too long before the water felt warm. So next time, I might just have a cool bottle of water handy to just use to fill up the smaller bottles before a run!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    Farmers tan here!!! and it seems to be stronger on one arm than the other - think its something to do with the route I'm running regularly and the direction of the sunlight! Will have to change direction!

I have a tan line where my Garmin sits on my wrist! I'm going to enjoy seeing the line get more prominent the more I run!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

True story:

It's my wedding anniversary this week and I got the jump on this one early and got my wife a nice present a few days early (extra brownie points in the bag).

So yesterday evening, my wife asked me what I wanted, so I held her hand and looked deep into her eyes, kissed her gently on the cheek and whispered into her ear. She looked at me and said 'really?' and I said 'yes really!'. She then said 'oh go on then'..... so she signed me up the Rock n Roll Half Marathon in August ....:D

So happy.......I finally have a wife that truly understands me ;)

smashiner wrote: »
    True story:

It's my wedding anniversary this week and I got the jump on this one early and got my wife a nice present a few days early (extra brownie points in the bag).

So yesterday evening, my wife asked me what I wanted, so I held her hand and looked deep into her eyes, kissed her gently on the cheek and whispered into her ear. She looked at me and said 'really?' and I said 'yes really!'. She then said 'oh go on then'..... so she signed me up the Rock n Roll Half Marathon in August ....:D

Ha! Brilliant. Eh... you have seen this year's route though right? :eek:

True story:

That's brilliant!!!!!!

I realised my husband was my soul mate the day I came in from a long run and he had an ice cold bath ready for me with a glass of Guinness!! True love right there.

I've signed up for the rock n Roll Half too, months ago when I was planning my summer races. Then I saw the route for this year... Holy moly.....

• Advertisement

Yup, I'm running Clonee 10k tonight. I'm here drinking dioralyte in anticipation! We'll be fine. Dig deep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Glad today's run is only 3 miles. What a scorcher!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Good luck with your runs tonight buckeybuck and Applegirl 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Aoifemcc19

I'm ahead of the plans because I'm going on holidays soon to the alps and there is no way I'm doing long runs there!!!
    So 14miles done this morning but had to get out at 6am to avoid the heat!! That is the longest I have EVER run in my entire life but now everything hurts!!
    I might try that cold bath that someone suggested in an earlier post if I can work myself up to it!! I've goosebumps thinking of it!!!

Aoifemcc19 wrote: »
    I'm ahead of the plans because I'm going on holidays soon to the alps and there is no way I'm doing long runs there!!!
    So 14miles done this morning but had to get out at 6am to avoid the heat!! That is the longest I have EVER run in my entire life but now everything hurts!!
    I might try that cold bath that someone suggested in an earlier post if I can work myself up to it!! I've goosebumps thinking of it!!!

Well done on the 14 miles!!! Especially in this weather.
    The ice bath...don't think about it- just get in. Its amazing how it doesn't feel that cold after a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

eyrie wrote: »
    Ha! Brilliant. Eh... you have seen this year's route though right? :eek:

Yep, I did it last year and I thought that the course was a bit hilly anyway (Christchurch, IMMA, Magazine hill,Upper Glen Road etc), so although the new course looks a little tougher, I would enter it as a training run anyway and just enjoy the atmosphere.

I think that running in a large event like this is good prepp for the DCM and it might be warm too, so it should be a good workout too.

I can't do the DCHM this year as I have family stuff on that day, so the Rock N Roll HM is on the list instead ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm not a fan of ice baths after running. The argument is that they make you feel better by numbing the area, but by reducing inflammation they also reduce your adaptation

http://running.competitor.com/2014/0...ice-bath_51935

http://innersport.com/archives/2292

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24552795/?i=12

Yep, I did it last year and I thought that the course was a bit hilly anyway (Christchurch, IMMA, Magazine hill,Upper Glen Road etc), so although the new course looks a little tougher, I would enter it as a training run anyway and just enjoy the atmosphere.

I think that running in a large event like this is good prepp for the DCM and it might be warm too, so it should be a good workout too.

I can't do the DCHM this year as I have family stuff on that day, so the Rock N Roll HM is on the list instead ;)

Fair play! I did it last year too and really enjoyed it, but it doesn't suit me this year. And when I saw the new route I can't say I was too devastated to be missing it :P Although I'm now considering one that Hobbyjogger mentioned that looks even worse...

Aoifemcc19 wrote: »
    Great going on the 14 miles!! Haven't gone that long myself yet. Weird to think that in a few months that will seem short :eek:

I've never done ice baths but I do find that lying on the floor with my legs straight up against the wall helps recovery, so that could be worth a try

• Advertisement

Smashiner - great anniversary present. My birthday present was an entry to the Killarney Half Marathon! All thinking along the same lines!!!

You should all get yourselves the big tub of Epsom salts. Absolutely brilliant for after a long run. I always feel the difference when I don’t get a chance to have a bath after one of my lsrs.

Advertisement