Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

RayCun wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of ice baths after running. The argument is that they make you feel better by numbing the area, but by reducing inflammation they also reduce your adaptation

http://running.competitor.com/2014/0...ice-bath_51935

http://innersport.com/archives/2292

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24552795/?i=12

+1

There is some good science coming out of Australia as well regarding cooling from a temperature regulation standpoint which suggests cold wet towel prior to runs can have an impact on core tenperature enough to benefit throughout the run especially in latter stages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Went for a delightful yet nippy dip in the irish sea last night after my run. It was so good for stretching after the run. Just gentle swimming reallllly helped... if you live near any water - i recommend!! while we have this fine weather anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Smashiner - great anniversary present. My birthday present was an entry to the Killarney Half Marathon! All thinking along the same lines!!!

You should all get yourselves the big tub of Epsom salts. Absolutely brilliant for after a long run. I always feel the difference when I don’t get a chance to have a bath after one of my lsrs.

Yep, we are all losing it a bit, for my Fathers Day present I got running socks from Lidl and a €50 voucher for the Cycle Superstore....I am so easy to buy for these days :)

For after the LSR's I personally go with a warm shower followed by a cold shower head on the legs (and a lot of swearing too), as I find this has helped the recovery for my legs afterwards, a milder variation of the 'stone mad' ice baths :eek:. Epsom salts are the business too I find, especially if I have a tight quad or stiff back etc.

It is very important to eat something after an LSR, ideally protein based to aid with the recovery. If people struggle with eating so soon after a long run , then I would suggest 'Moo Ju' Chocolate milk (Avonmore I think), cold from the fridge, tastes like a chocolate milk shake and won't break the bank either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

smashiner wrote: »
    Yep, we are all losing it a bit, for my Fathers Day present I got running socks from Lidl and a €50 voucher for the Cycle Superstore....I am so easy to buy for these days :)

For after the LSR's I personally go with a warm shower followed by a cold shower head on the legs (and a lot of swearing too), as I find this has helped the recovery for my legs afterwards, a milder variation of the 'stone mad' ice baths :eek:. Epsom salts are the business too I find, especially if I have a tight quad or stiff back etc.

It is very important to eat something after an LSR, ideally protein based to aid with the recovery. If people struggle with eating so soon after a long run , then I would suggest 'Moo Ju' Chocolate milk (Avonmore I think), cold from the fridge, tastes like a chocolate milk shake and won't break the bank either.

Am I too late for those LIDL socks? I reckon they flew out the door!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

coogy wrote: »
    Am I too late for those LIDL socks? I reckon they flew out the door!

My local one had a few pairs left yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Dealerz2.0 wrote:
    Someone at work suggested that I should take bcaa’s and protein whey powder to help recovery- should I? Do you?

I'm taking a sports electrolyte fix these days with the heat, couple of drops in water and it replaces what's lost during running in the heat. Ended up with heat stroke after a run a few wks back and it was horrible so don't want to repeat it. I'm drinking loads of water (7+ litres a day) and Dr still says I'm dehydrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Jaysus roasting out. Suncream needed no matter time of day!

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Jaysus it was warm out there this evening

I normally do my running before work but didn't get up early enough this morning

It wasn't as bad out as I expected as the sun was on the way out but now I am wide awake

Anywhoo I shall go for a swim at lunch tomorrow to ease the muscles before the lsr on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭healy1835

Just wishing all the runners in this thread all the best for the training block ahead. This time 3 years ago as a novice I started my first week of training for DCM '15.....it looked a little like this;

8k: 48.07@6:01/km
    8k: 45:38@5:58/km
    Session: 2k - 5k Tempo 27:55@5:35/km
    8k: 48:03@6:00/km
    Long Run:13k: 1:13:52

I had no idea of what was in store but it was the best decision I ever made to start training for a marathon. Less than 3 years on from the above weeks training I ran a 2:59 marathon :) so out of small acorns can grow fast marathon times :) I had no expectations when I started training for that first marathon but the Boards community really helped me (and i only joined the novices thread that August I think). It's gonna be a bumpy ride but it will be worth it. Best of luck guys....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

Easy runs are not easy in this weather!!!

• Advertisement

effibear wrote: »
    Easy runs are not easy in this weather!!!

I discovered that yesterday! (and the day before that, and the day before that, and the.......you can see where this is going)

Rest day today. How the hell am I going to cope????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

In this weather if your easy runs aren't easy, I'm guessing the advice from the bosses would be to "slow down even more".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Rossi7 wrote: »
    In this weather if your easy runs aren't easy, I'm guessing the advice from the bosses would be to "slow down even more".

Even walking in this heat isn't easy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

juke wrote: »
    Rossi7 wrote: »

Sunbathing on rest days are though 8-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Anyone tried a vibrating foam roller? I see Aldi have some reduced and I was wondering if it is worth investing in one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Lovely to see all the novices chatting in here these days.

So it's been kinda hot this week :eek:

As tomorrow is long run day I recommend you all drink a bit extra today to hydrate well, carry a bottle of water with you. If you happen to have some Zero tabs (or other electrolyte drink tabs) you could pop one of them into a bottle of water for sipping on today. I'd recommend you either carry a bottle of water on your run tomorrow, leave one somewhere along your route for a sip mid run or if you'll be passing a shop throw a €2 coin into your pocket.

If you can run early in the morning or later in the evening then do. I ran myself at 5:30pm on Wed & 8pm on Thursday and the difference was immense, although 8pm was still kinda warm :cool:

If the run doesn't feel easy slow down a bit more, the effort level is going to be higher because of the heat and it's the effort that should feel easy so don't worry about the pace on the watch!

Wear the lightest clothing you can legally get away with :P

Don't be afraid to take walking breaks if you need to.

And last but not least don't forget the sun cream ;)

Now, somebody mentioned chocolate milk and i couldn't pass it up... this is what got me through all my long runs last year training for DCM, a cold glass of this at the end, ahhhhhhhh :) Followed by a shower, stretch and then some proper food - scrambled eggs or peanut butter on toast were my go-to for a protein fueled breakfast after the long run. Whatever works. Personally powdered sources of protein aren't for me but i'm no expert on the science of them so i won't knock them either as i'm not qualified.

Gypsylee and others with injuries, keep the faith! Keep doing what the experts have advised and hang in there, it's early days yet.

Some advice needed if that's ok?

I've become a bit of a Parkrun addict since I took it up earlier in the year and love the slightly competitive edge of running with the more experiences runners (I don't even try to keep up with them but just running with them makes me want to keep going week after week).

Anyway, tomorrow is an 8 mile lsr. Would it be too much do the parkrun in the morning and then do the lsr later in the evening?

I think I might know the answer to this one.......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Reminder for those who might be intending to join the strava group or who have requested to join but not yet been accepted to have both sent me a PM so that I know the name connected to the thread and also to have introduced yourself here and answered the few questions on the opening post of the thread. Thanks ;-)

Just sent the request now, after getting my Garmin Connect and Strava setup. If you need anything else from me, let me know, cheers!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

juke wrote: »

Strongly considering getting up at about 5.30am 2moro to get the LSR in... can't see it being much craic at any other time of the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

I've become a bit of a Parkrun addict since I took it up earlier in the year and love the slightly competitive edge of running with the more experiences runners (I don't even try to keep up with them but just running with them makes me want to keep going week after week).

Anyway, tomorrow is an 8 mile lsr. Would it be too much do the parkrun in the morning and then do the lsr later in the evening?

Could you do the park run then just keep running finish off the 8 miles???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Could you perhaps volunteer at parkrun and do your lsr later in the day? You still get the social aspect of your parkrun. And you might be able to watch the more experienced runners from another angle to pick up a few tips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Coogy, Why don’t you include Parkrun in your long run? You could do 5 miles and do the last 3 then doing Parkrun? Or 3 miles slow, parkrun and then 2 miles cool down?

Hedgehoggy wrote: »

I think doing parkrun at the end would be make the long run more beneficial as legs would be slightly tired at that stage?

In theory, yes, but my parkrun pace would be way too quick.

I suppose I could just take it handy and keep going after I hand in my barcode.

I’d think that it’s more beneficial to do the Park Run towards the end as would be on tired legs and get more benefit out of the long run then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Correct :pac:

If you really want to do Parkrun you could do it as part of your long run? BUT only if you run it at lsr pace and i expect you will find that extremely difficult.

There's a saying used by one of our esteemed boardsie comrades - "keep the main the main thing" and it's appropriate to throw it in here, you're not training for a 5-10k, you're training for a marathon and for the next 17 weeks that should be the priority.

Boards acting up on my phone so ended up posting twice as thought first post disappeared.

ariana` wrote: »
    Correct :pac:

If you really want to do Parkrun you could do it as part of your long run? BUT only if you run it at lsr pace and i expect you will find that extremely difficult.

There's a saying used by one of our esteemed boardsie comrades - "keep the main the main thing" and it's appropriate to throw it in here, you're not training for a 5-10k, you're training for a marathon and for the next 17 weeks that should be the priority.

Ariana, thanks. Like I said, I knew it in my own head. Need to let it go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

Had my third run last night. Another warm one! Need to focus a little bit on my pacing discipline. The first klick I found myself ahead of where I should be and had to dial it back. Also got a bit quicker on the last one knowing I was close to home. I think for tomorrow’s LSR I’m going to set the pacing options on the phone to remind me. Plan is to go out with my wife for it. She hasn’t run in a week after a fall in a Dunshaughlin so it she wants something easy to get back into things. Just need to pick the ideal time of the day to get out for it!

Advertisement