Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Skyblue recommended to me earlier if you stand at bottom on khyber pass in the park looking towards the top of it, with magazine fort at your 7 o clock there's a trail directly to your right. He suggested to use that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

RayCun wrote: »
    Not Phoenix Park, but might be equally easy for you to get to? The War Memorial gardens on the other side of the river. There's a good hill up to Conyngham Road.
    Hi  Ray, are the hills in Dodder Park opposite Firhouse SC any use for the hill sprints

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Not Phoenix Park, but might be equally easy for you to get to? The War Memorial gardens on the other side of the river. There's a good hill up to Conyngham Road.

Yes, I know it, that would be handy for me too.

Thanks RayCun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Hi  Ray, are the hills in Dodder Park opposite Firhouse SC any use for the hill sprints

yeah, I would start on the north side of the hill, close to the river, and run up that way (running past a turn-off on your right halfway up the hill). That should be long enough for you to sprint for 10 seconds, and not too steep.

Or go to Stocking Lane...

yeah, I would start on the north side of the hill, close to the river, and run up that way (running past a turn-off on your right halfway up the hill). That should be long enough for you to sprint for 10 seconds, and not too steep.

Or go to Stocking Lane...
    Thanks Ray, I've encountered "Heart Attack Ridge" alright. I'll give bought a go over the next couple of weeks and go with the hardest

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Skyblue recommended to me earlier if you stand at bottom on khyber pass in the park looking towards the top of it, with magazine fort at your 7 o clock there's a trail directly to your right. He suggested to use that.

I'm wondering if there'll be a queue for this hill come Wednesday... :pac:

aloooof wrote: »

Haha, it could end up becoming a ticketed event........

coogy wrote: »
    aloooof wrote: »

Haha, it could end up becoming a ticketed event........
    I'll be at the top of the hill with a Silver Cross pram full to the brim of " Dodder Park" Spring Water, €2 a pop lads. I take all major credit cards and shrapnel too

I think that's the one that leads up to the Wellington Monument.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'll be at the top of the hill with a Silver Cross pram full to the brim of " Dodder Park" Spring Water, €2 a pop lads. I take all major credit cards and shrapnel too

Feckin touts and scalpers at everything these days... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 whiskey_sour

Hi, I’ve asked whether moving the half marathon back a week is a good idea before and been advised against it, but I’m really struggling to find a race near my area that fits into the plan. I’m already travelling for the marathon itself so don’t fancy spending more money on travel etc by entering a half marathon far from home the month before. There’s a half marathon within walking distance of my house the week after the Dublin half….so I was wondering if changing the plan a bit to suit that would work? I’d be pretty much going straight into taper afterwards  but since I won’t be running the 10mile race will be a week ahead of the plan so can still squeeze in 2 20 milers….Here’s what my plan would look like from week 10 onwards if I was to go ahead with this…would it be a huge mistake? If I don’t do this I’m not sure I’ll get a half marathon done at all…my only other options are a trail race which is supposed to be ‘Britains toughest race’ or another that is 13 laps of a 1 mile cycle track….neither are very appealing!
    (I hope this table pastes in ok!)
    10 rest,cross or 3m rec 4m easy 4m with 5 x strides 5m easy rest, cross or 3m rec 20m lsr 3m rec

11 rest,cross or 3m rec 6m easy 1 m w/u, 9m pace1m c/d 3m rec rest, cross or 3m rec 16m lsr 3m rec

12 rest,cross or 3m rec 4m easy 1m w/u, 6m pace, 1m c/d 4m easy rest, cross or 3m rec 20m lsr 3m rec

13 rest,cross or 3m rec 6m easy 1 m w/u, 9m pace1m c/d 3m rec rest, cross or 3m rec 16m lsr 2m rec

14 3m easy 4m with 5 x strides rest, cross or 3m rec rest, cross or 3m rec 2m easy Half Marathon 3m rec

15 4m easy rest, cross or 3m rec 8m easy 5m easy rest, cross or 3m rec 18m lsr 3m rec

16 rest, cross or 3m rec 5m easy 5m easy 5m easy rest, cross or 3m rec 14m lsr rest, cross or 3m rec

17 rest, cross or 3m rec 3m easy 4m easy 4m with 6x strides rest, cross or 3m rec 8m lsr rest, cross or 3m rec

18 rest, cross or 2m rec 2m easy 1m w/u, 3m pace, 1m c/d 3m easy rest 2m easy DCM 2018!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

so am at the start of my training for first marathon now and have a weird tingle from time to time on bottom of my right heel - i twisted this ankle around a year ago and it took a while to recover from so ever since then it has felt a little bit delicate

i did around 15k run last friday and then around 6k on saturday, since then i have had a sporadic pain (not really painful or anything but still doesnt feel 100%)

it is hard to describe, kinda sharp subtle pain/discomfort that comes and goes

i have not done any exercise really since saturday and am hoping it goes away so i can resume training tomorrow

had anyone had anything similar happen to them? i think i need new running shoes anyway.

really dont want to risk getting injured and missing the DCM this year as am really looking fwd to it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

skyblue46 wrote: »
    By Irish standards is 8% not steep? We're not blessed with to many roads with that kind of gradient. Knockmaroon hill is 8% and I'd call that steep.I was only passing on the advice given to us last year which I assume has been handed down through the years. Here's the suggestion for places to do it....https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057738126&page=70

skyblue46 I must be blind, I can't see any post with suggestions...can you tell me who posted it?

Had a hill in mind, but now I'm thinking it's too tame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have to ask, what is the point of the hill sprints in the boards plan this week?

To clarify, I don't mean what is the point of hill sprints, I get the benefits of them in isolation. What I don't get is doing them only once in a 4 month training plan, surely they would need to be a regular thing to give any real benefits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭roosterman71

so am at the start of my training for first marathon now and have a weird tingle from time to time on bottom of my right heel - i twisted this ankle around a year ago and it took a while to recover from so ever since then it has felt a little bit delicate

i did around 15k run last friday and then around 6k on saturday, since then i have had a sporadic pain (not really painful or anything but still doesnt feel 100%)

it is hard to describe, kinda sharp subtle pain/discomfort that comes and goes

i have not done any exercise really since saturday and am hoping it goes away so i can resume training tomorrow

had anyone had anything similar happen to them? i think i need new running shoes anyway.

really dont want to risk getting injured and missing the DCM this year as am really looking fwd to it :(

For the last month or so I was getting pain in the heel area. So much so, after my first LSR, I was struggling to walk until I loosened it out a bit. All caused by the shoes. So I bought new and don't get the same pain. Still a bit there from before and it's not getting the rest time. But certainly a lot better than before. So if it's the same pain, it's due to the stability of your shoe being compromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

juke wrote: »
    skyblue46 I must be blind, I can't see any post with suggestions...can you tell me who posted it?

Haha. You are right! Screwed up the link it seems. I'll sort it later. Obviously you're the only one who reads back through the thread!! ;-/

juke wrote: »

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057738126&page=70

Post #1038

I have to ask, what is the point of the hill sprints in the boards plan this week?

To clarify, I don't mean what is the point of hill sprints, I get the benefits of them in isolation. What I don't get is doing them only once in a 4 month training plan, surely they would need to be a regular thing to give any real benefits?

That's a very good question and I'll give you my best shot at answering it.

The fact that cannot be overlooked is that the plan has one very specific purpose which is to get a group of novice runners safely to both the start line and the finish line. It cannot by its nature have too much high intensity work.

The plan to my eye is pretty much broken up into 3 phases. Phase 1 is an introduction to MP work and the hill sprints and strides to help with the transition to this type of work for novices. Phase 2 is then all about dialling the body into MP with an increasing weekly amount of MP running. The final phase is a return to more easy running so that energy reserves can be saved for the big day itself.

This would be common in training plans to have different phases. I have done a 10k and HM plan this year and both had hill sprints in weeks 1 and 3 out of 14 week plans.

Would it be any way beneficial to throw in one or two more sessions of hill sprints over the course of the plan

Would it be any way beneficial to throw in one or two more sessions of hill sprints over the course of the plan

Personally I would say not. Stick to the plan is something you will hear more and more on here over the coming weeks. The next few weeks are about 2 things and 2 things only....increasing distance on LSRs and getting the body to find MP second nature over increasing distances. Everything else is easy.

Use things you pick up here for future training and racing but for now it's best to stick with the schedule. Now is not the time for throwing excessive work at the body.

• Advertisement

Main thing the main thing, slow to go fast. Got it skip

Are you doing any races prior to DCM?

Are you doing any races prior to DCM?
    Just the race series that’s pencilled into the plan, hopefully run a decent 10k & see where my paces are at

Just the race series that’s pencilled into the plan, hopefully run a decent 10k & see where my paces are at

That's plenty to be getting on with. I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on. Any time/ pace in mind for the South Dublin 10k?

That's plenty to be getting on with. I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on. Any time/ pace in mind for the South Dublin 10k?
    Nothing in mind yet, but I was going to pick your brain about it a week out from it 😂

Nothing in mind yet, but I was going to pick your brain about it a week out from it ��

Hand on heart what do you think you can do?

Nothing in mind yet, but I was going to pick your brain about it a week out from it ��

Hand on heart what do you think you can do?
    I’d like to think somewhere around 45, I haven’t raced a 10k since last Nov so not sure where I’m at at the minute

I’d like to think somewhere around 45, I haven’t raced a 10k since last Nov so not sure where I’m at at the minute

Well then give that a go. 4:30 per km, even paced up to at least 8k. If you have something left then push on. It's far enough out from DCM not to do any harm and it will give a good picture of what paces you should be training at.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

Is anyone else doing the ten mile in the Phoenix Park this weekend? I have a 9 mile lsr to do so goin to do it and try to get used to running handier in a race scenario.

• Advertisement

bluestone wrote: »
    Is anyone else doing the ten mile in the Phoenix Park this weekend? I have a 9 mile lsr to do so goin to do it and try to get used to running handier in a race scenario.

Would love to but funds are low.....:(

Advertisement