Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

My left shoulder/arm hasn't improved much. Sitting, standing still, most sleeping positions and especially driving, hurts. Running does not :) (though I probably hold my shoulder a bit). I have full permission to keep as active as I can without aggravating it.

So - while clear that I'm not looking for medical advice, I do have a question:

My plan for tomorrow is 6.4k easy. According to RunGo, my commute home from work is 8.5-9k with 130m incline (DCC to Rathfarnham).

Would that be nuts? Obviously if my shoulder hurts I'd stop, but would an additional 2-2.5k plus a net uphill go against the whole 'keep the easy days easy' rule?

Friday is rest and my 21k LSR is due to be Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Is anyone like me thinking "I'm running a half marathon on Saturday" !!

Sweet baby jesus...

I've never ran that far before and I tell you I'm SO ordering Domino's when I get back from the run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

juke wrote: »
    My left shoulder/arm hasn't improved much. Sitting, standing still, most sleeping positions and especially driving, hurts. Running does not :) (though I probably hold my shoulder a bit). I have full permission to keep as active as I can without aggravating it.

So - while clear that I'm not looking for medical advice, I do have a question:

My plan for tomorrow is 6.4k easy. According to RunGo, my commute home from work is 8.5-9k with 130m incline (DCC to Rathfarnham).

Would that be nuts? Obviously if my shoulder hurts I'd stop, but would an additional 2-2.5k plus a net uphill go against the whole 'keep the easy days easy' rule?

Friday is rest and my 21k LSR is due to be Saturday.

Is it a distance you are used to doing? If so then I wouldn’t see a major problem as long as you do really go very easy and you could always walk the last km or so?

Sweet baby jesus...

I've never ran that far before and I tell you I'm SO ordering Domino's when I get back from the run.

One of things that’s great about training for your first marathon is you have big achievements nearly every week. The training cycle really is a huge achievement too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Is it a distance you are used to doing? If so then I wouldn’t see a major problem as long as you do really go very easy and you could always walk the last km or so?

Up to 8 would probably the average. Good point on walking part at the end. Could also explore a bus for the first 2k. Thanks.

• Advertisement

juke wrote: »
    Up to 8 would probably the average. Good point on walking part at the end. Could also explore a bus for the first 2k. Thanks.

Or walk the first and last kilometer.

One of things that’s great about training for your first marathon is you have big achievements nearly every week. The training cycle really is a huge achievement too.

It really is!! I can't wait tbh.

I have my zero tablets and vegetarian "Percy Pals" jellies all ready to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

It really is!! I can't wait tbh.

I have my zero tablets and vegetarian "Percy Pals" jellies all ready to go!

Percy pals from m&s? They are so expensive but the best jellies ever, and I’ve tried a lot of jellies!

On the half marathon, it’s mad, the distances we are covering each week even at this early stage is something to be very positive about.

It feels great to tell friends and family “ah ye know, just the 13 miles this weekend, no problem”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Percy pals from m&s? They are so expensive but the best jellies ever, and I’ve tried a lot of jellies!

On the half marathon, it’s mad, the distances we are covering each week even at this early stage is something to be very positive about.

It feels great to tell friends and family “ah ye know, just the 13 miles this weekend, no problem”

I found it near impossible to keep a straight face last Saturday morning when I told my wife where I'd been on my 10 mile run.

Simply couldn't hide how happy I was!

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »

Yup, Percy Pals...delish! I have to hide them in the house or they would mysteriously dissappear.... M+S have the best sweeties.

Yeah, only week 3 and running 13 miles . Brilliant!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Sorry to jump on this pace band wagon. But I'm a little confused now after the last couple of posts. My aim is a sub 4.5 hrs marathon. And the pace for that is 6.10 /K. What should I be aiming for for my easy runs and my LSR? I understand they may vary depending what was on day before and the day after. But a rough idea would be helpful. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Helenasca wrote: »
    Sorry to jump on this pace band wagon. But I'm a little confused now after the last couple of posts. My aim is a sub 4.5 hrs marathon. And the pace for that is 6.10 /K. What should I be aiming for for my easy runs and my LSR? I understand they may vary depending what was on day before and the day after. But a rough idea would be helpful. TIA

There is a table of training paces linked in the opening post of the thread I think. It's probably best that people revisit that. Those are the paces that this training plan is based upon. How do they compare to your current training paces? Also please remember we are not supposed to be training based on a notional target but to current race times.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    There is a table of training paces linked in the opening post of the thread I think. It's probably best that people revisit that. Those are the paces that this training plan is based upon. How do they compare to your current training paces?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107340991&postcount=837

I think it’s this post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

My favourite session of the plan so far, hopefully "Heartbreak Hill" will be just as enjoyable come October

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I'm not sure a 4.5 hour marathon is 6.10/k, unless my maths are very wrong!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    There is a table of training paces linked in the opening post of the thread I think. It's probably best that people revisit that. Those are the paces that this training plan is based upon. How do they compare to your current training paces? Also please remember we are not supposed to be training based on a notional target but to current race times.

Was just coming back on to reiterate what SkyBlue has said about training to current training times. They indicate where your fitness lies at the moment and will give you the correct paces to train at. If you input a 55 min 10km time in McMillan and check the training paces tab they will be based on that. As you do races throughout the training cycle then your times should get faster and you’d input the new times. Nobody starts out the cycle fit enough to run the marathon at goal pace so you build it to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I'm not sure a 4.5 hour marathon is 6.10/k, unless my maths are very wrong!

it's not far off
    6 x 42 = 252
    6 x 42 = 252 seconds = 4 and a bit minutes
    call it 260 minutes, 4 hours 20

Long run pace should be about 6:40-6:50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Sweet baby jesus...

Haha, remember that feeling well last year leading up to my 13mile LSR. Couldn't wait to be able to say to myself that I had ran a half marathon.

I run in kms so I multiplied 13.1 x 1.6 and set out.

Delighted with myself when I finished it.

Couldn't understand afterwards though why the watch wasn't showing that I had ran a half marathon.

Turned out the calculation is x1.609.

I stopped short by 80m. Was gutted lol.

Lazare wrote: »
    Haha, remember that feeling well last year leading up to my 13mile LSR. Couldn't wait to be able to say to myself that I had ran a half marathon.

Couldn't understand afterwards though why the watch wasn't showing that I had ran a half marathon.

Haha - I remember the day I did my 20 miler and Strava recorded it as 19.9 miles. I always run a slight bit extra now for OCD reasons :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I really enjoyed the third run of Week 3 last night. It was only 3 miles but it felt like a perfect run.
    Delighted to have a consistent pace of around 7 minute per km (without having to check my watch) which is exactly what I want to run my easy runs at, and absolutely no niggles.
    Even at this early stage of the training plan I feel like I am becoming a stronger runner by my standards. I'm loving it!

• Advertisement

gypsylee wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the third run of Week 3 last night. It was only 3 miles but it felt like a perfect run.
    Delighted to have a consistent pace of around 7 minute per km (without having to check my watch) which is exactly what I want to run my easy runs at, and absolutely no niggles.
    Even at this early stage of the training plan I feel like I am becoming a stronger runner by my standards. I'm loving it!

Loving the positivity in this thread now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

RayCun wrote: »
    it's not far off
    6 x 42 = 252
    6 x 42 = 252 seconds = 4 and a bit minutes
    call it 260 minutes, 4 hours 20

Long run pace should be about 6:40-6:50

The previous incarnation of this post caused some consternation to my, largely innumerate, brain this morning!

I'm basing my PMP runs on 6:20/km.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

My numbers for the DCM race series just came through the letter box so if you've signed up you'll probably get yours today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

Haha - I remember the day I did my 20 miler and Strava recorded it as 19.9 miles. I always run a slight bit extra now for OCD reasons :rolleyes:

That’s the reason you will always find .1 to .2 of a kilometre at the end of my runs!! Leave nothing to chance!!

Lazare wrote: »

Ah Lazare that is brutal. Your first half marathon distance too.

Jeez that's even worse than Lazare!

My first run with a Garmin taught me to add extra at the end. TG I was only running short distances at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Got my race series number too. This just got very real! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

gypsylee wrote: »

Definitely feeling stronger week by week and getting more confident

I somehow managed to way miscalculate my distance on my run yesterday and left myself a much longer run home after the hill sprints than intended

Going to skip today's run and stretch and foam roll the crap out of myself this evening and swim tomorrow to prepare for the the lsr on Saturday

racersedge wrote: »
    That’s the reason you will always find .1 to .2 of a kilometre at the end of my runs!! Leave nothing to chance!!
    Jeez that's even worse than Lazare!

My first run with a Garmin taught me to add extra at the end. TG I was only running short distances at the time.

I was tired and literally waiting for the watch to switch to 20 miles and stopped dead there and then and never gave the watch a chance to do the whole vibration and indicating it had got to 20 miles thing. I was disgusted when I uploaded the run. Garmin had 19.99 but Strava 19.9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

My job has me in Derry at the moment.. No outdoor jogs this week ha

Advertisement