Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

aloooof well done on the LSR :)

On Gels some are better than others and they are concentrated so you need to make sure you are getting enough fluids along with them as they can cause GI upset. I did not like them so sticky and the fear of dropping them during a race. so other options would be food ( jellies work a treat) or homemade gels you can buy handy little bottles and make your own honey is a good option

My favorite option is Tailwind it covers everything, so no need to carry zero tabs etc. I used to bring a few jellies, more just to have something to suck /chew on as we are used to eating but do not bother anymore. I train with a hydration vest with either two soft bottles in the front or a bladder on my back or waist belt with two bottles in it. I like to train with a heavier pack on my back but will keep it very light for races. https://www.tailwindnutrition.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

I am only getting over the disaster that was my LSR on saturday. Oh me oh my. only managed 19km - had to go a new route which ended up being alot on sand and uneven ground and just energy zapping. my usual route was closed off due to fires. I felt great last week after the 10miles. boosted my confidence...
    this week... i am petrified of the prospect of the marathon again! i honestly felt awful for hours after. No idea what came over me. Mixed mental and physical fatique?!?
    Ughhhh its like an emotional rollercoaster. I run with 'me fella' usually but will be away for the next 15mile LSR. (doing the 10KM race next weekend). I hope i can manage it alone. I dont want to build up some mental block for this now.
    Anyway less of my moaning... just needed to get it off the old chest.
    NEW WEEK AHOY... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

julie2tubz wrote: »
    I am only getting over the disaster that was my LSR on saturday. Oh me oh my. only managed 19km - had to go a new route which ended up being alot on sand and uneven ground and just energy zapping. my usual route was closed off due to fires. I felt great last week after the 10miles. boosted my confidence...
    this week... i am petrified of the prospect of the marathon again! i honestly felt awful for hours after. No idea what  came over me. Mixed mental and physical fatique?!?
    Ughhhh its like an emotional rollercoaster. I run with 'me fella' usually but will be away for the next 15mile LSR. (doing the 10KM race next weekend). I hope i can manage it alone. I dont want to build up some mental block for this now.
    If your struggling just slow it down a bit, remember it's time on the feet that counts at this stage. I think after the weekend it's opened up everyone's eyes as to what lies ahead in October so your not alone in doubting yourself. You got 19km done so well done, maybe doing your next LSR alone might benefit you as your going alone at your own pace. I prefer doing the LSR alone because come October when the gun goes off it's just you and 26 miles.
    Just keep doing what your doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

this week... i am petrified of the prospect of the marathon again! i honestly felt awful for hours after. No idea what came over me. Mixed mental and physical fatique?!?

I didn't feel great on last week's 13miler and loved this week's 15miler (I'm a little bit ahead as I'm doing Berlin not Dublin).

18 weeks is a long time. There'll be rubbish runs and fantastic runs and everything in between.

As previously said, make sure you're not running too fast but I'd also add to make sure you've eaten and hydrated well during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

You just need to remember that the doubts and negative thoughts that are going through your head are not unique to you. They happen to everyone and I honestly don't think it would be possible to get through an entire training schedule without experiencing some sort of self-doubt from time to time. Even towards the end of my 10 mile race on Saturday, I had one of those 'what the hell???' moments when I simply could not contemplate staying on my feet for another mile, let alone 26!.
    Getting it off your chest and acknowledging it to yourself and others can only be a good thing. It will drive you on to go one better the following week. It's what keeps me going!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Yeah i was going freakishly slow...way slower than usual. the speed was definitely not the issue. Hydration and eating were a little all over the place on the friday... maybe that was it. I am going to be super disciplined with hydration etc this week and see how i get on.

Yeah there are always going to be some bumps on the road. It was going too well up to that point haha ;) this was a little shake me up. Nothing can go that swimmingly.

I hate running alone. But I will get it done to prove I can do it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Very kind :) I am feeling ready to take on the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Thanks for the replies everyone. Very kind :) I am feeling ready to take on the week.

Isn't that the beauty of this thread - realising everyone else has dips and self doubts, not just you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Those in the know, is it possible to do the LSRs at a "too-easy" pace? Checking my race times off the McMillan calculator as mentioned many times on here, my LSR is recommended below 10 min miles, but I'd been trying to keep them 10+ recently, maybe even up to 10.30. 
    I'd assume it's not going to do me any harm? i.e. make me slower overall :ermm:

That run will stand to you, we learn from the hard ones:) but remember running on sand is very hard and sucks the energy out of your legs and that is why you found it hard.

you are not alone in worrying on how you will manage a full marathon when however distance LSR was a suffer fest but I have good news for you; You will run it and love it :D this is all part of the training process some days will be harder than others you grow stronger in body but also in mind
    ( believe it and achieve it)

If you read back on our novices thread last year, we all at one stage or another had the same concerns and some great advice from many that kept us all going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Last week's training all went to plan :) I took 2 rest days instead of my usual 1 and legs felt a lot fresher. I'm still nursing my calves, they're constantly tight, but once they don't get any worse I'll be happy.
    My 13 mile LSR went good - I do have two options when I leave my house - run up the mountains or run the opposite direction which takes me alongside a motorway which goes on for miles. This path is concrete and a killer on the knees so I prefer the mixed terrain I get going up the mountains. My pace started good but the downhill all the way back threw it and I ran back much faster than I started out. At the end I felt like I could have kept going which was nice - I was dying at the end of last weeks LSR :D
    A marathon runner in work advised I have a bowl of porridge the night before my long run as well as the morning of and I tried that - I will definitely be doing it in future too, the extra carbs really helped!
    I had some jelly tots with me too but I will be getting the Clif gel Bloks for my 15 miles next week - they're much handier than the sticky gels as they're like a solid gummy (vegan too if anyone was wondering ;) )

Touch of a sore throat today so I'm skipping my recovery run, I'll take plenty of vitamin c & good food and try get on top of it before I get sick.
    So far all the training boxes have been ticked off nicely, I just need to stay in one piece for 15 more weeks! :eek:
    Best of luck with training this week everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

A marathon runner in work advised I have a bowl of porridge the night before my long run as well as the morning of and I tried that - I will definitely be doing it in future too, the extra carbs really helped!
    I had some jelly tots with me too but I will be getting the Clif gel Bloks for my 15 miles next week - they're much handier than the sticky gels as they're like a solid gummy (vegan too if anyone was wondering ;) )

Touch of a sore throat today so I'm skipping my recovery run, I'll take plenty of vitamin c & good food and try get on top of it before I get sick.
    So far all the training boxes have been ticked off nicely, I just need to stay in one piece for 15 more weeks! :eek:
    Best of luck with training this week everyone :)[/QUOTE]

Good stuff Kittyclaws, lots of gems of advice in there, porridge, vitamin C and jellies....the real bedrock of marathon running :D

I personally love jelly babies wrapped in tin foil to keep those brave soldiers dry in the pockets, so easy on the stomach versus some of the gels. Your point in vitamin C and good food is a very valid one and I would recommend that all novices keep an eye on their immune systems in the coming weeks as we tend to be a bit more susceptible to colds and infections etc due to the hard training.......a lesson hard learned by yours truly on the build up to my first DCM.....Rubex and Cod Liver Oil tablets...all the way!!

If people are struggling with tight muscles and strains, then maybe avoid hills and running on concrete if possible (or at least take it handy on the hilly sections)......I found running on flat cut grass for a few sessions helped me out earlier in the year with an Achilles strain....99% better....fingers crossed

Did you just say that there is only 15 weeks to go.....and 3 of those are Tapering time......Holy Jebus........ Right, time to knuckle down and get serious about this... pizza boxes are going in the bin tonight....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Try not to worry Julie. We all have those days and they are usually unexpected too and a day you think you’ll find tough will be just fine. I like long runs on my own as I go at my pace and can slow down and speed up when suits me. It’s also the only time I get to listen to the radio so that’s my treat too. Currently listening to a brilliant podcast and my friend listens to audio books. All help the time pass. Nothing wrong with walk breaks either if you need them.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Those in the know, is it possible to do the LSRs at a "too-easy" pace? Checking my race times off the McMillan calculator as mentioned many times on here, my LSR is recommended below 10 min miles, but I'd been trying to keep them 10+ recently, maybe even up to 10.30. 
    I'd assume it's not going to do me any harm? i.e. make me slower overall :ermm:

I think it depends where you are coming from. For most novices it’s all about the time on your feet and not really a goal time as such so there’s not really a too easy pace. You’ve done a marathon before so personally I don’t think you should drop your pace to too slow but at the same time you don’t want to be pushing it or you risk injury etc. You could take it nice and handy and increase the pace of the last few miles? What plan are you following? One with the club?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I think it depends where you are coming from. For most novices it’s all about the time on your feet and not really a goal time as such so there’s not really a too easy pace. You’ve done a marathon before so personally I don’t think you should drop your pace to too slow but at the same time you don’t want to be pushing it or you risk injury etc. You could take it nice and handy and increase the pace of the last few miles? What plan are you following? One with the club?

Yeah ran with the club yesterday, and was caught between a group who were doing anything but easy, and then another were going a bit too slow for my liking... so hard to know! The idea of picking up the pace a little towards the end of the LSR might be a happy medium. There isn't really much in terms of MP miles in that plan until the last few weeks tbh, but from last time, I might feel better bringing them in sooner.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Well done!!

I used have trouble with gels but can tolerate the High 5 isogels no problems. They are already diluted and much easier on the tummy. They come with and without caffeine. I don’t bother with caffeine until a practice run before D Day and then maybe coming up to 20 miles on the day.
    Baby75 wrote: »
    aloooof well done on the LSR :)

On Gels some are better than others and they are concentrated so you need to make sure you are getting enough fluids along with them as they can cause GI upset. I did not like them so sticky and the fear of dropping them during a race. so other options would be food ( jellies work a treat) or homemade gels you can buy handy little bottles and make your own honey is a good option

My favorite option is Tailwind it covers everything, so no need to carry zero tabs etc. I used to bring a few jellies, more just to have something to suck /chew on as we are used to eating but do not bother anymore. I train with a hydration vest with either two soft bottles in the front or a bladder on my back or waist belt with two bottles in it. I like to train with a heavier pack on my back but will keep it very light for races. https://www.tailwindnutrition.com/

Brilliant, thanks for the tips. I think I'll pick up some of each and give them a go during some of the long runs to see what works. I like the sound of the jellies tho! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

only managed 19km - had to go a new route which ended up being alot on sand and uneven ground and just energy zapping.

Don't be too disheartened! 19km is still a serious effort at this early stage, especially so on some of the terrain you were running on. I've run on sand on occasion too, and it definitely takes a lot more energy from you. I'd wager what you'll learn from this run will stand to you a lot more than if you had been feeling good and breezed through the the remaining 2km.
    coogy wrote: »
    You just need to remember that the doubts and negative thoughts that are going through your head are not unique to you. They happen to everyone and I honestly don't think it would be possible to get through an entire training schedule without experiencing some sort of self-doubt from time to time.

Some great advice from the others here, but especially this, Coogy. Personally, I don't think I'll get thru an LSR without experiencing some sort of self-doubt, nevermind the full training plan! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

juke wrote:
    Will head out later for an hour or so .....in the RAIN (I had to put socks on earlier, because my feet were cold, what a wonderful feeling)

Haha its the little things we appreciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

smashiner wrote:
    A marathon runner in work advised I have a bowl of porridge the night before my long run as well as the morning of and I tried that - I will definitely be doing it in future too, the extra carbs really helped! I had some jelly tots with me too but I will be getting the Clif gel Bloks for my 15 miles next week - they're much handier than the sticky gels as they're like a solid gummy (vegan too if anyone was wondering )

Where do you get the cliff gel bloks and rough pricing. I spotted another runner using them aswell, I had a look online and they seen quite expensive and you can only get large batches I haven't tried them before so only wanted one packet to try out so i wondered if they can be got anywhere specific?

Helenasca wrote: »
    Where do you get the cliff gel bloks and rough pricing. I spotted another runner using them aswell, I had a look online and they seen quite expensive and you can only get large batches I haven't tried them before so only wanted one packet to try out so i wondered if they can be got anywhere specific?

Most running shops I’d guess. The certainly have them in Cork In The Edge anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Approx €3.50 a pack in cycle superstore, but I’ve been looking on Amazon and they work out roughly €2 a packet if you buy them by the box, I’ll be investing on payday so I’ll share the link for the cheapest ones I find :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

kittyclaws wrote: »
    Approx €3.50 a pack in cycle superstore, but I’ve been looking on Amazon and they work out roughly €2 a packet if you buy them by the box, I’ll be investing on payday so I’ll share the link for the cheapest ones I find :)

I bulk bought on Amazon in April and they had a July expiry - just something to keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Severely lacking in motivation this week
    It was a real struggle to get out the door this morning
    Ah well, onwards and upwards we go

Lots of stretching to be done this evening to get ready for the pace run tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Severely lacking in motivation this week
    It was a real struggle to get out the door this morning
    Ah well, onwards and upwards we go

Lots of stretching to be done this evening to get ready for the pace run tomorrow
    I wouldn't worry if I were you - motivation comes and goes! At least you got out for it anyway.

Some information on stretching :D

Dynamic stretches before you run
    Static stretches after you run

Avoid static stretching before exercise or when muscles are not warmed up it can increase the risk of pulling a muscle here some information on it

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Are many people running the 10k in Clondalkin this weekend?

I do most of my runs early morning and I like to run on empty. For the lsr I force down half a banana before I leave the house and I carry water with a zero tab in it. I carry 4 jellies but usually bin them. I feel safer having them on me as I got light headed once on a run when I'd nothing with me. That was a year ago though when I was starting to run 10 milers.
    Our next lsr is 15 miles and I think I'm going to have to take something but I don't know what. Those gel bloks mentioned in precious posts sound good. Would they be enough if I chewed on one or two towards the end if the run?
    Thanks guys.

I do most of my runs early morning and I like to run on empty. For the lsr I force down half a banana before I leave the house and I carry water with a zero tab in it. I carry 4 jellies but usually bin them. I feel safer having them on me as I got light headed once on a run when I'd nothing with me. That was a year ago though when I was starting to run 10 milers.
    Our next lsr is 15 miles and I think I'm going to have to take something but I don't know what. Those gel bloks mentioned in precious posts sound good. Would they be enough if I chewed on one or two towards the end if the run?
    Thanks guys.

I’d take something about an hour into the run for a run that long and that should keep you going. The shot blocks are grand or even a mini pack of haribo or something like that. If you wait until your energy is used up you then need to wait until the carbs kick in from what ever you take and you could have a miserable 20 mins or so. There is the school of thought that you are training your body to burn fat by not taking anything but I don’t know much about that to be honest. Everybody is different but I know I need something to keep me going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

Thanks guys.
    Yes, I signed up for the series

I have a bowl of porridge and a cup of tea an hour before I head out, I stick €2 in my pocket and stop roughly half way at a shop which did me good last weekend. For the 15m LSR I'll probably start experimenting with gels, but I'm not sure we'd get the benefit of them for the distance we are only covering.

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Yes, I signed up for the series

I have a bowl of porridge and a cup of tea an hour before I head out, I stick €2 in my pocket and stop roughly half way at a shop which did me good last weekend. For the 15m LSR I'll probably start experimenting with gels, but I'm not sure we'd get the benefit of them for the distance we are only covering.

You are also training your body to take them though which is good.

By the way, thanks to some of my fellow Novices from last year, I just placed an order on Wiggle for a few packs of High5 Zero electrolyte tablets. They are a bit cheaper there at the moment. I added in a thing of bodyglide to bring it up so I was getting free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Clibee

Hey everyone,

Anyone doing the half marathon in longwood this weekend or know anything about it ? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

I bailed on the run this morning, partly because I didn't give myself enough time to do the distance but mainly because it sucked

That is my first failure during training and it is annoying

But failure is ok if we learn from it so I will be better organised for the next one so I have no excuse to bail no matter how tough it feels

Hope every one else has a good one

Advertisement