Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Clibee

Any other hm suggestions coming up in the east / south east ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Lakeshore Striders have a half marathon on the 8th of september
    http://www.thelakes10k.ie/
    They have a 10k every year, which is a good race, this is the first year of the half.

I'm doing the Tullamore half on the 25th of August

Boston Scientific Half marathon in Tipperary 26th of August

Ratoath half marathon 8th September

Fionnuala McCormack Kilomarathon (26km = 16 miles) September 15th in Wicklow

Oylegate half marathon 26th of August, in Wexford

Medieval half marathon in Kilkenny 15th September

Staplestown Half on the 25th of August http://www.sportszone.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

Clibee wrote: »
    Any other hm suggestions coming up in the east / south east ?
    If you go onto My Run Results or Pop Up Races they have a fixture of races that are on that their doing, something might catch your eye

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Could do with a bit of a steer from the mentor's about how to fit in my runs next week, if that's ok? Asking now as it might inform how hard I run the 10k this weekend.

The way it falls, the best day to do my LSR would be the Thursday or possibly the Friday. To try and keep the 10k Race, LSR and Pace run as far apart as possible, I was considering something like this:

Mon: Rest
    Tues: 4m Easy
    Wed: 4m Easy
    Thurs: 15m LSR
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 3m Rec
    Sun: Pace - 6m w 5x100m strides

Any thoughts / advice much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

RayCun wrote: »
    Lakeshore Striders have a half marathon on the 8th of september
    http://www.thelakes10k.ie/
    They have a 10k every year, which is a good race, this is the first year of the half.

I'm doing the Tullamore half on the 25th of August

Boston Scientific Half marathon in Tipperary 26th of August

Ratoath half marathon 8th September

Fionnuala McCormack Kilomarathon (26km = 16 miles) September 15th in Wicklow

Oylegate half marathon 26th of August, in Wexford

Medieval half marathon in Kilkenny 15th September

Staplestown Half on the 25th of August http://www.sportszone.ie/

Thanks for that list. I see the Tullamore, Boston Scientific, Oylegate and Staplestown races are all the same weekend, has anyone any experiences of any of them and how they compare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

eyrie wrote: »
    Thanks for that list. I see the Tullamore, Boston Scientific, Oylegate and Staplestown races are all the same weekend, has anyone any experiences of any of them and how they compare?

you can often find threads in the Events forum, eg last year's Tullamore half
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104500960

Oylegate years ago
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67411521

Boston Scientific
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107379038

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Has anyone done the 3/4 marathon in Meath before? http://irish3quartermarathon.ie/course/

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I know some people prefer the Rock n Roll HM in mid August as it's sooner (vs Race Series HM). Route looks quite tough - knees feel stressed just thinking about going down some of this hills!

Yep, I am on for the Rock N Roll HM in a few weeks time. I did it last year and I found a lot of similarities to the DCM, running in large groups around the streets of Dublin, Phoenix Park etc, water stations, pacers etc.

I am planning to run with the pacers for the first time to see what it would be like to forget about the Garmin and stick with a group, as I am planning a similar tactic for the DCM this year and I want to see how I fair out running in a herd!

If anyone wants to say Hi to me on the day ......I will be wearing ASICS runners.....I repeat ASICS runners......no wait.....other people might be wearing ASICS runners too.....hmmmm....will have to come up with a better plan than that.......:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

smashiner wrote: »
    I am planning to run with the pacers for the first time to see what it would be like to forget about the Garmin and stick with a group, as I am planning a similar tactic for the DCM this year and I want to see how I fair out running in a herd!
    That's a good idea and one I might rob :) I am signed up for RnR but was half considering not doing it, or at the most, doing it as a training run. But might be nice to pick a non-PB-targeting-for-me pacer and use it as a learning experience. Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

I'm having a bit of bother with my knee. My bicep femoris (I googled it) is sore and tight. I did a 16km hike last Friday and halfway through it started to feel tight. The pain/tightness is mild enough but it doesn't seem to be improving. The pain is on the back of my leg. The muscle on the outside just above the knee.
    The day after it started my knee felt a little bit unstable but after that it feels ok strenght/stability wise so I'm assuming it's a strain as opposed to anything more serious.

I missed the 3rd run and the LSR last week and I think I'm going to miss all the runs this week including the 10k race on Sunday.

Any advice? I'm wondering how long it will take to recover and should I try to run? Should I be cycling to make up the difference?
    One complication is I'm on my feet all day in work. A slow day for me in work is 10,000 steps and a busy day can be 25,000+ steps so I'm doing big mileage in work and resting isn't an option. As I said the pain is mild so if it wasn't for the marathon I would ignore it and carry on. The pain has spread a bit today to the front of my knee below the knee cap.

I took a full week off running the week before the plan started because I was feeling very tired for a few weeks so I thought I would be in great shape to start.

If I go to a physio will the advice be RICE and start to run gently next week?
    Thanks guys

PS Currently in work walking around with a bag of frozen peas taped to my knee getting some funny looks from customers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Corbally wrote: »
    I'm having a bit of bother with my knee. My bicep femoris (I googled it) is sore and tight. I did a 16km hike last Friday and halfway through it started to feel tight. The pain/tightness is mild enough but it doesn't seem to be improving. The pain is on the back of my leg. The muscle on the outside just above the knee.
    The day after it started my knee felt a little bit unstable but after that it feels ok strenght/stability wise so I'm assuming it's a strain as opposed to anything more serious.

I missed the 3rd run and the LSR last week and I think I'm going to miss all the runs this week including the 10k race on Sunday.

Any advice? I'm wondering how long it will take to recover and should I try to run? Should I be cycling to make up the difference?
    One complication is I'm on my feet all day in work. A slow day for me in work is 10,000 steps and a busy day can be 25,000+ steps so I'm doing big mileage in work and resting isn't an option. As I said the pain is mild so if it wasn't for the marathon I would ignore it and carry on. The pain has spread a bit today to the front of my knee below the knee cap.

I took a full week off running the week before the plan started because I was feeling very tired for a few weeks so I thought I would be in great shape to start.

Thanks guys

PS Currently in work walking around with a bag of frozen peas taped to my knee getting some funny looks from customers!

Do you do much stretching or foam rolling? Definitely head to the physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

skyblue46 wrote: »
    What's your opinion on my training paces? My 10k is 40:07. I run easy at 8:45 and majority of miles very easy 9:20-9:40

Same paces that I was running when my 10k PB was similar. At the time my easy pace range was 8.45-9.10 from Testosterone so i’d say they are spot on. We’re all guilty of running to fast at times include myself in that. My current easy pace I feel is 8.20-8.40 but I run the faster side of that to often and rarely run at the slower end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Has anyone done the 3/4 marathon in Meath before? http://irish3quartermarathon.ie/course/

Superb race on a nice country route, always gets a good crowd. Great tune up for DCM as long as you get the pace right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thanks guys

Go and get physio as soon as you can. In my experience, my physio keeps me running. Often one treatment is enough depending on what the problem is. I had a fairly hefty physio session yesterday and was just told not to run yesterday but today would be grand to get back to normal. Just make sure you are going to a good physio. Maybe get recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

I never done it but I’ve signed up this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

aloooof wrote: »
    Could do with a bit of a steer from the mentor's about how to fit in my runs next week, if that's ok? Asking now as it might inform how hard I run the 10k this weekend.

The way it falls, the best day to do my LSR would be the Thursday or possibly the Friday. To try and keep the 10k Race, LSR and Pace run as far apart as possible, I was considering something like this:

Mon: Rest
    Tues: 4m Easy
    Wed: 4m Easy
    Thurs: 15m LSR
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 3m Rec
    Sun: Pace - 6m w 5x100m strides

Any thoughts / advice much appreciated!

That looks perfectly fine to me. Absolutely no reason not to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whiskey_sour

Has anyone ever had any problems with heartburn/indigestion while running? I was away for the week so suspect the eating/drinking is to blame but it wasn't bothering me until I went for a run last night. Ended up in an awful way afterwards. Not sure if I should run today but missed almost all of last week's training....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Has anyone ever had any problems with heartburn/indigestion while running? I was away for the week so suspect the eating/drinking is to blame but it wasn't bothering me until I went for a run last night. Ended up in an awful way afterwards. Not sure if I should run today but missed almost all of last week's training....

Funnily enough I had fajita’s for dinner the other night and had a bit of indigestion running 2 hours later but it’s not normally an issue I have so purely down to what I ate. Is it a regular problem for you outside of running? Could you be extra careful with what you eat on the days you run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

The day after it started my knee felt a little bit unstable but after that it feels ok strenght/stability wise so I'm assuming it's a strain as opposed to As I said the pain is mild so if it wasn't for the marathon I would ignore it and carry on. The pain has spread a bit today to the front of my knee below the knee cap.

I would definitely go to a physio as soon as you possibly can and explain that you are training for the marathon, and hopefully they can help you get back at it asap - without it getting any worse.

I would look into whether it is IT Band related also - as I know mine flares up when hiking long distances and running and you mentioned knee pain. Something to ask your physio about anyway. If it is this problem it will not go away on its own - i can certainly vouch for that. So it is definitely worth your while booking an appointment asap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

That looks perfectly fine to me. Absolutely no reason not to go with it.

Perfect, I'll go with that schedule so, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

100 days according to website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hi everyone, i'm finally getting a chance to catch up here after my little spell of being mia on my holiers! Great work going on no surprise! For anyone with injury niggles, please do see a physio, we're not qualified to give medical advice here. Foam rolling is great to keep niggles at bay along with a good routine/habit of doing some dynamic stretches before a run along with some static stretching afterward. Shin splits, knee and ITB issues are all common enough when runners increase the mileage quite quickly, the chance of injury/niggle is increased if the pace is too fast as well so please do keep the usual advice in mind and slow down especially if you're already having niggles or have a history of injuries. Sometimes a single trip to a physio is all that's required to sort out these issues though so don't be afraid to go now, the sooner you get sorted the better.

I'll try to catch up on more of the posts i missed over the next few days and hopefully i'll be back on track by the weekend but keep up the good work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whiskey_sour

Kellygirl wrote: »

Funnily enough I had fajita’s for dinner the other night and had a bit of indigestion running 2 hours later but it’s not normally an issue I have so purely down to what I ate. Is it a regular problem for you outside of running? Could you be extra careful with what you eat on the days you run?

Thanks Kelly girl, no I've never had heartburn before and ate very normally yesterday so not sure if I picked up a bug or something while I was away. I'll chance running later and turn back if its bothering me again. I was up half the night with it last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

I'm gonna miss my run tonight ☹ , in the UK for Work and was expecting to do a run tonight but the customer is bringing us out for dinner and drinks..

I'll be getting a flight back to Ireland tomorrow evening so I'm hoping I get my run in tomorrow night..

I know it needs to be done today or tomorrow at the latest as the South Dublin 10k is on Sunday.

Hopefully I get it in tomorrow night otherwise I'll be very disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Looking for some opinions - I probably know the real answer in my heart but interested in others views.

My shoulder/back is still a problem. BUT I've had an MRI & physio has given me exercises and full permission to run so long as I don't aggravate any symptoms. I'm c. 2 weeks behind schedule, but not freaking out yet. Still clocking away k's at an easy pace, at the moment up to an hour every other day - and they've been fine. I'm a slow runner.

I've entered the race series. The SD 10k is on Sunday. It's not far from me. I have my race number. It's pretty. I have fancy new magnets to use instead of safety pins :o

Is there any point in doing the 10k at the weekend, even as a training run?
    If I do and it feels good for the first 5k, I could up the tempo.

I am likely to face strong opposition from my OH - buy he doesn't really get this running lark at all anyway (I know he's reading my log, but I'm not sure he's stalking me here yet, I guess I'll find out soon :eek:)

juke wrote: »
    Looking for some opinions - I probably know the real answer in my heart but interested in others views.

My shoulder/back is still a problem. BUT I've had an MRI & physio has given me exercises and full permission to run so long as I don't aggravate any symptoms. I'm c. 2 weeks behind schedule, but not freaking out yet. Still clocking away k's at an easy pace, at the moment up to an hour every other day - and they've been fine. I'm a slow runner.

I've entered the race series. The SD 10k is on Sunday. It's not far from me. I have my race number. It's pretty. I have fancy new magnets to use instead of safety pins :o

I am likely to face strong opposition from my OH - buy he doesn't really get this running lark at all anyway (I know he's reading my log, but I'm not sure he's stalking me here yet, I guess I'll find out soon :eek:)

Hmm...I would say run it. Internet advice on injuries is hit and miss at best. The action you took of getting professional opinion was of course the best course of action. The professional has given you permission so to me that's enough. The key, as you were told, is not to aggravate it so pay heed to that. I would definitely be on the start line if I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

juke wrote: »

Why would you be running it juke? Apart from putting the fancy magnets to good use, which does sound pretty exciting in fairness (I didn't know these were a thing? Going to have to go google them now...)
    You obviously know the advice from the physio, and know you can run easy so long as you're mindful of the shoulder, so I'm sure that applies to running in a race too if you take it slowly. Do you think you would? If you do and you just fancy soaking up the atmosphere then fine, but if you're worried about risking further damage to the shoulder then to me at least it's not worth the risk. So my very helpful (:rolleyes: ) input is that you could probably go either way but be honest with yourself and you probably know what's best for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Conflicting views, I like it :) Thanks both.
    Hmm...I would say run it. Internet advice on injuries is hit and miss at best. The action you took of getting professional opinion was of course the best course of action. The professional has given you permission so to me that's enough. The key, as you were told, is not to aggravate it so pay heed to that. I would definitely be on the start line if I was you.

See, this is what I really want to do. I suppose in the course of a 'race' I might be less inclined to pay attention to warning signs.
    eyrie wrote: »
    Why would you be running it juke? Apart from putting the fancy magnets to good use, which does sound pretty exciting in fairness (I didn't know these were a thing? Going to have to go google them now...)
    You obviously know the advice from the physio, and know you can run easy so long as you're mindful of the shoulder, so I'm sure that applies to running in a race too if you take it slowly. Do you think you would? If you do and you just fancy soaking up the atmosphere then fine, but if you're worried about risking further damage to the shoulder then to me at least it's not worth the risk. So my very helpful (:rolleyes: ) input is that you could probably go either way but be honest with yourself and you probably know what's best for you.

You are asking the hard questions, eyrie.
    Why:
    1. Because I've paid for it;
    2. Because if I don't, in my head I'll feel like DCM '18 is even more out of reach
    Why not:
    1. When i run from home, if I feel uncomfortable, I can double back, take a short cut home - not so easy on the middle of a 10k with roads closed
    2. I may get caught up in the buzz, and push too hard, even subconsciously.

As to magnets, I need protection for Amazon's recommendations :ohttps://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00V5LPFXK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Advertisement

Race is but a word and it's not a race for more than a handful at the front. For the thousands of others it is a mix of proving to themselves that they can complete the distance, that they can PB, that they can beat the person from down the road or in your case that you can do it without aggravating your injury.

Advertisement