Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

coogy wrote: »
    Ok thanks, I didn't know whether I should be timing them too or just stop my watch at the end of the 6 miles..........:confused:

You don't need to time them in the sense of setting up a workout on your watch for them but i'd leave the watch running to include them. Do them near the end, preferably, i'd usually do them in the last mile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whiskey_sour

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Morning all

Some have been professing their love for running recently

I have to admit I am not quite there yet, it is more love/hate currently

I am enjoying most of the training, especially having a plan and routine
    I will quite happily plod around all the time doing long slow runs but I am afraid of the pace stuff

This is mainly because I am older and more out of shape than most but I can see my fitness improving and my weight dropping with the distance climbing so that is encouraging

But at some stage I am going to have to try and push the pace so I can get round in a decent time although it is comforting knowing I can plod my way through it if necessary

Fear of injury is probably what is holding me back the most but I will have to get over that

I do enjoy running at pace, when I was a kid I was quick, I guess my concern is heading out at pace and not being able to finish the chosen distance at that pace, I have probably never been fit enough to push myself properly

In saying all that, this morning's run went fine :)

TLDR
    A NyOmnishambles ramble
    Getting old and slow

Try not to worry too much. If you aren’t enjoying the pace stuff then slow it down a small bit. You could always treat it as intervals in a way and slow to jog for a few minutes before picking up the pace again. Remember you should be training to your current fitness so pace shouldn’t be ‘too’ difficult. Also, you are just running this marathon for yourself and you do it at the time that suits you and at a pace you enjoy.

Another here to say you're definitely not alone there! I've had a couple of rough weeks with the heat and when travelling and those weeks the pace work is so daunting! Good advice Kelly girl, I've been trying to tell myself that it isn't the end of the world if I don't hit the paces once I try. Another thing I've done is just tell myself to hold the pace for one mile and if I want to slow down after that I will, sometimes once you settle into the pace it's not as bad as you think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

Morning all

Some have been professing their love for running recently

I have to admit I am not quite there yet, it is more love/hate currently

I am enjoying most of the training, especially having a plan and routine
    I will quite happily plod around all the time doing long slow runs but I am afraid of the pace stuff

This is mainly because I am older and more out of shape than most but I can see my fitness improving and my weight dropping with the distance climbing so that is encouraging

But at some stage I am going to have to try and push the pace so I can get round in a decent time although it is comforting knowing I can plod my way through it if necessary

Fear of injury is probably what is holding me back the most but I will have to get over that

I do enjoy running at pace, when I was a kid I was quick, I guess my concern is heading out at pace and not being able to finish the chosen distance at that pace, I have probably never been fit enough to push myself properly

In saying all that, this morning's run went fine :)

TLDR
    A NyOmnishambles ramble
    Getting old and slow

Try not to worry too much. If you aren’t enjoying the pace stuff then slow it down a small bit. You could always treat it as intervals in a way and slow to jog for a few minutes before picking up the pace again. Remember you should be training to your current fitness so pace shouldn’t be ‘too’ difficult. Also, you are just running this marathon for yourself and you do it at the time that suits you and at a pace you enjoy.

Another here to say you're definitely not alone there! I've had a couple of rough weeks with the heat and when travelling and those weeks the pace work is so daunting! Good advice Kelly girl, I've been trying to tell myself that it isn't the end of the world if I don't hit the paces once I try. Another thing I've done is just tell myself to hold the pace for one mile and if I want to slow down after that I will, sometimes once you settle into the pace it's not as bad as you think!
    Your not missing any runs guys,  be it slow quick or indifferent, either way it's money in the bank. Keep plodding alone and the good days will return

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Has anyone doing the Boards plan done their run today yet?

Did you do your strides after the 6 miles or did you incorporate it into your run?

I incorporated them into the 6 miles. I done them near the end, so it was something like 4 miles at Easy pace, then strides spread out over the last 2 miles with easy pace in between each stride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Warm out there today folks!!! ;)

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I incorporated them into the 6 miles. I done them near the end, so it was something like 4 miles at Easy pace, then strides spread out over the last 2 miles with easy pace in between each stride.

Good idea.

I wanted to get enough full miles run as possible so I ran the five and then started the strides at the beginning of the sixth, then carried on at easy pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

So.... An LSR of 10 miles on Saturday. I have only ran this distance three times before. The last time was during the half marathon last August. Looking forward to it. Going to slow right down for it.

I am enjoying following the HH Plan and focusing on each run. Still a bit doubtful about running 10 miles on a Wednesday at the start of October and then 20 miles on the Saturday. I know, I know that's a while away and I have a lot of runs to get through between this and then but it's scary and exciting at the same time!

gypsylee wrote: »
    So.... An LSR of 10 miles on Saturday. I have only ran this distance three times before. The last time was during the half marathon last August. Looking forward to it. Going to slow right down for it.

I am enjoying following the HH Plan and focusing on each run. Still a bit doubtful about running 10 miles on a Wednesday at the start of October and then 20 miles on the Saturday. I know, I know that's a while away and I have a lot of runs to get through between this and then but it's scary and exciting at the same time!

That is the toughest week in the plan so don't focus on it yet. When it comes you'll be able and it'll give you the confidence you need for race day. Take each week as it comes, each day even if that's easier, you're doing great, everybody is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭blueberrypie

Question:

I had signed up for 2 half marathons before the DCM.
    Boston Scientific in Clonmel August 26th and Charleville Sept 23rd. (no deferrals allowed)
    Should I defer Clonmel? (they are allowing deferrals to 2019 before August 6th)

I have no other races planned as my husband also runs and we both cannot run the same races due to childminding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Question:

I had signed up for 2 half marathons before the DCM.
    Boston Scientific in Clonmel August 26th and Charleville Sept 23rd. (no deferrals allowed)
    Should I defer Clonmel? (they are allowing deferrals to 2019 before August 6th)

I have no other races planned as my husband also runs and we both cannot run the same races due to childminding.

I'm running Clonmel too. It's my last race before DCM, and I think it was discussed here that it falls nicely into a DCM plan. Charleville is a bit close to DCM to be running as a race, so could you run Charleville as a training run?

Edit: The above "advice" may be nonsense, but it's my take on what I've learned to this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Hmmm...are you ready for the kicker? That's still not quite slow enough :pac: It still puts you doing most runs at in or about what I would consider a probable MP based on a 48 minute 10k. Where has the 3:20 dream time come from?

I don't know, this will sound naive but I figured if I got fit enough to follow the Dublin City Marathon 3:15-4:00 hour training plan then if I did the plan properly I should hit in the top end of the time? Plus was extrapolating from a friend who ran it in college after 3 months of training and hit 3:19 so I reckoned if I trained from March I could do around the same?

Going at a 10k this weekend to see how much fitter I am now. 5k time was 21:43 so 6:59/mile on June 1st.

I had it in my head that as I trained more it would be safe to increase my pace. I obviously have this wrong and you can only really increase distance or pace but not both?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I'm running Clonmel too. It's my last race before DCM, and I think it was discussed here that it falls nicely into a DCM plan. Charleville is a bit close to DCM to be running as a race, so could you run Charleville as a training run?

Edit: The above "advice" may be nonsense, but it's my take on what I've learned to this point.

+1 to this, it's sound advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I don't know, this will sound naive but I figured if I got fit enough to follow the Dublin City Marathon 3:15-4:00 hour training plan then if I did the plan properly I should hit in the top end of the time? Plus was extrapolating from a friend who ran it in college after 3 months of training and hit 3:19 so I reckoned if I trained from March I could do around the same?

Going at a 10k this weekend to see how much fitter I am now. 5k time was 21:43 so 6:59/mile on June 1st.

I had it in my head that as I trained more it would be safe to increase my pace. I obviously have this wrong and you can only really increase distance or pace but not both?

There are outliers in every sport, those who turn perceived wisdom on it's head. Your friend may be one, you may be another. At the same time there is nothing in a 21:43 5k that would correlate with a 3:20 marathon. Go out and run a 10k and give it all you have. Then plan training paces. We'd sooner see you run 3:35 and have really enjoyed the day than aim for 3:18 and blow up in a ball of pained cramped smoke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

Almost another weeks worth of runs in the bag, aside from the LSR. Headed to the physio on Monday evening to just have an assessment on how my plantar fasciitis was doing. Got a good progress report on it and she commented on the fact she noticed I had been foam rolling! The session included a targeted massage on the lower right leg - which was an experience in itself! Leg is in good nick at least and we have put in place preventative strategies to keep it that way! Anyone in Kildare Town need a good physio Id be happy to recommend them!

Mid-week run at pace felt good, despite the muggy heat. My third run was a bit different as my wife suggested (and by suggested, I mean she said we were going!) we do the Carton House trail run. Something a bit different and a nice change of scenery. Running with her kept my easy pace in check until she wanted a strong finish!

I have a wedding today so I’m unsure if the LSR will be tomorrow or Sunday. Going with the mindset of ‘enjoy, but not go mad’ to it with an eye on the long run. Will see how that one goes however!

racersedge wrote: »
    Going with the mindset of ‘enjoy, but not go mad’ to it with an eye on the long run. Will see how that one goes however!

Haha, if that was me, I'd be the one sitting in the corner, nursing a pint of water for the whole day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

Haha, if that was me, I'd be the one sitting in the corner, nursing a pint of water for the whole day!

Absolutely tempting. But it’s a close friend and I am a groomsman so... yeah. See how it goes. I am promising to be good... hopefully better at keeping hat promise than I am at doing my easy runs at an easy pace!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

racersedge wrote: »
    Almost another weeks worth of runs in the bag, aside from the LSR. Headed to the physio on Monday evening to just have an assessment on how my plantar fasciitis was doing. Got a good progress report on it and she commented on the fact she noticed I had been foam rolling! The session included a targeted massage on the lower right leg - which was an experience in itself! Leg is in good nick at least and we have put in place preventative strategies to keep it that way! Anyone in Kildare Town need a good physio Id be happy to recommend them!

I'd say you were with the same physio as me. Sorted my anchilles strain and tight IT band. She knows her stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Week 4 of meno completed for me. Didn't really go to plan. Groin injury still there, but seems to be improving a bit with the exercises the physio gave me. Took 3 days off to rest it, and missed out on two scheduled runs. It was a step back week this week anyway, so just stepped it back even more!
    Did 10k at MP this morning as part of an 18.5k run. Ended up averaging it a bit faster than PMP but was comfortable throughout. This was probably because I missed out on the prescribed speed session during the week so legs were fresher.
    Am away next weekend, so am going to start Week 5 tomorrow, and pull everything back 2 days. Hoping this works out, but should do given the time off this week.

Best of luck in the LRs this weekend everyone

racersedge enjoy the wedding - life has to be lived too :p

Best of luck with the LSRs for tomorrow/Sunday everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I signed up for the Rock n Roll HM a few weeks ago and I had heard on Boards that the course was very hilly and tough.....which I kinda dismissed, thinking 'ah sure how hard can it be?'

I had a proper look at it today and Holy Jebus, it is like they found every hill in Dublin to run up and down!! I think that oxygen tents and Sherpa Guides will be the order of the day there is that much climbing involved.....:eek:

Going to do my LSR this weekend on a stair climbing machine......;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Just back from my 15 mile run, still very muggy out - and lots of cold wet stuff falling from the sky :O
    I fell off my bike on Tuesday and hurt my shoulder, so I took a few days off following that - praying it was only a pulled muscle. The gods were kind as it felt fine today, I completely forgot I’d hurt it :) Pace much better but still a little bit too fast - only 10/20 seconds - Running too slow hurts my hips, I think the 11.30 pace is a happy medium :S
    I’m doing the R&R half marathon which I was going to race - but I’ve heard of so many people getting injured this week that I think it’s best I keep the main thing the main thing and just run with the 2.30 pacers so they’ll keep me at my LSR pace.
    Tho the 2.15 pacers would get me a nice half marathon PB....??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whiskey_sour

After last week's disaster of an LSR this weeks was much better! This thread is really great for encouragement, I was feeling awful about the training last week but definitely more positive now!

I also tried a gel for the first time today and the zero one tablets, the weather was much cooler than my other LSRs so hard to tell what had an effect, but thankfully the gel wasn't too hard to take. It was one of the high five isogels so pretty watery... I had a bit of cramping for about five minutes after taking it but nothing too bad. I got a marathon pack from Amazon with 12 different gels, a water bottle, zero one tablets and a few other bits so have a few different ones I can try over the next few weeks. It worked out really good value aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

What a nice change of weather for a long run

It was wet and wild out there at times but the lower temps made such a difference
    Good to have a variety of weather to train in, we need that as it could easily be a day like today in October

I was pretty comfortable the whole way round except right until the end, the last 2K I found really tough but was able to keep the pace going
    A lack of sleep for the last couple of nights, about 4 hours per night didn't help, it was a real struggle to get out and moving this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

skyblue46 wrote: »
    There are outliers in every sport, those who turn perceived wisdom on it's head. Your friend may be one, you may be another. At the same time there is nothing in a 21:43 5k that would correlate with a 3:20 marathon. Go out and run a 10k and give it all you have. Then plan training paces. We'd sooner see you run 3:35 and have really enjoyed the day than aim for 3:18 and blow up in a ball of pained cramped smoke!

I think you are right about my friend being an outlier. I had just assumed he was the norm. He is probably about 65-70kg too which I think helps over long distances compared to me being 93kg and 6'4.5".

Found a local 10k to run last night. Iverk 10k in Piltown as part of the Carrick on Suir Road Race series. Torrential rain which I'm not sure if affects times by keeping you cool or slows you down?
    Had no idea what pace I would be able for so tucked in behind a couple of people who looked like proper athletes and said I will try stick with them. After first 2.5miles of mostly flat or mild/moderate hills up and down we were going at just under 7:15mins/mile according to one of the guys I was following. There was a ridiculously long continuous uphill for 2 miles between miles 3.5 and 5.5 then a slight downhill before a flatish finish. Managed to keep going up the hill for the 2 miles at a good pace and still be able for about 200m flat out sprint at the end so the hill training has stood to me.

Finished in 45:29 so 7:19/mile. Was tired afterwards but not as exhausted as I was after the 10k in May and recovered after a few mins. Happy enough with that time. In May I was at 47:24. What would be advice for training pace based on that? 9miles/mile for slow runs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

15miles over to and around the park. Very easy pace as I had a sleepless night with the kids.Tons of runners there this morning and all in very jolly form despite the rain. I enjoyed the cooler temperature. Thought I’d be feeling sore now but ok so far.

I tried a gel on route, after about 1hr 30 mins. Tasted vile so I sipped it, but not sure it has a benefit then. How many should we be taking during the marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

I ran my 15 mile lsr this morning. I'm definitely in unknown territory now with these increasing distances. I had debated back and forth about trying a gel on this run. I hesitated as if they don't agree with me, my run could be terminated swiftly! And the lsr is the most important run in the plan. Still, as I say I was torn and I'll probably have to try them eventually so I brought one gel with me but didn't feel the need to use it.

I had my water bottle with a zero tab in it. I definitely cannot run distance without that. I also brought 2 hard candies to suck throughout the run.

The rain was a refreshing change. My Garmin beeped for 1 mile just before I entered my beloved Phoenix Park and I had a quick glance at my pace. I decided I wasn't looking at my watch again until I was at 10 miles in. I enjoy running when...I can just run. I kept it easy, I knew the task that lay ahead of me. I passed loads of runners who said hi or gave a wave. Brilliant.

I opened my second candy when I was running loops around the Acres. I love this part of the park! On a sunny day I could run forever here. I did a few loops here to get the mileage in.
    I looked at my watch when I felt I had reached where 10 miles should be on my route. Sure enough my Garmin beeped and I was on target. Only 5 miles to go.

Miles 11,12,13 disappeared easy enough. Miles 14 and 15 were the hardest in the whole run. Maybe because I was in new territory though that usually gives me a little buzz! Maybe it was as I was running on a slow drag at that stage. Or maybe it was because I was a bit bored. There wasn't a soul around now until I left the park, just me and my thoughts and I had mentally discussed every little issue in my life already over the past 2+ hours!

I finally got home feeling pretty chuffed with myself and was met with "jesus you're drowned!"
    Ha ha!!

Eh, sorry about such a long post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

effibear wrote: »
    15miles over to and around the park. Very easy pace as I had a sleepless night with the kids.Tons of runners there this morning and all in very jolly form despite the rain. I enjoyed the cooler temperature. Thought I’d be feeling sore now but ok so far.

I tried a gel on route, after about 1hr 30 mins. Tasted vile so I sipped it, but not sure it has a benefit then. How many should we be taking during the marathon?

What kind of gel did you have? They definitely don’t all taste vile so try another type. Everybody is different during the marathon and easier to judge closer to the time. Some people say every 5 miles or every 30/45 mins. Others might take 4 over the whole event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

What kind of gel did you have? They definitely don’t all taste vile so try another type. Everybody is different during the marathon and easier to judge closer to the time. Some people say every 5 miles or every 30/45 mins. Others might take 4 over the whole event.

Powergel it was the only one in the cycle shop near us. Think I’ll try a different type!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If anybody finds they don't much like the taste or texture of energy gels I would recommend "Clif Blok" energy chews. Its the same stuff but instead of a runny gel they are more like eating a soft wine gum, I much prefer them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭peter4918

effibear wrote: »
    Powergel it was the only one in the cycle shop near us. Think I’ll try a different type!

Try the High 5 energy gels. Fairly decent taste off them & easy to stomach.

Advertisement