Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Have not signed up for the Dublin City half marathon yet as I have some reservations about the timing of the event.

Ideally, I would like to run it to the best of my ability to get a proper sense of how I might perform in October and to be clear in my head of what my pmp will be in the weeks leading up to the DCM.

There's a half marathon on 8th September (Ratoath), two weeks prior to the DC half but that is the weekend of a 20 mile lsr with the cards training schedule and I'd be worried that it would mess things up a little.

Should I just stick with the DC half and put in a good performance or do it as a training run?

Out of curiosity, for those doing the Boards plan, not running the DC half, will they just do an lsr of the same distance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

coogy wrote: »
    Have not signed up for the Dublin City half marathon yet as I have some reservations about the timing of the event.

Ideally, I would like to run it to the best of my ability to get a proper sense of how I might perform in October and to be clear in my head of what my pmp will be in the weeks leading up to the DCM.

There's a half marathon on 8th September (Ratoath), two weeks prior to the DC half but that is the weekend of a 20 mile lsr with the cards training schedule and I'd be worried that it would mess things up a little.

Should I just stick with the DC half and put in a good performance or do it as a training run?

Out of curiosity, for those doing the Boards plan, not running the DC half, will they just do an lsr of the same distance?

Are you doing the Frank Duffy 10m? If you not you could do 16m that weekend (Sept 1/2nd), the HM the following weekend (Sept 8/9th) and the following weekend you could replace the 16m in the plan with the 20m that you missed the previous weekend?

sumsar wrote: »
    Did the 10mile today myself, the last mile was tough I have to admit, not sure if my legs will thank me or hate me for it.

Also, today was the longest and furthest I've ever ran before.. looking forward to seeing how the rest of the training goes, while today wasn't easy I hope by the end of October I'm looking back laughing about me finding today tough.

Ah that's a great feeling! And one you'll be getting a lot of weekends from now on, enjoy it :)

And yes you will look back at laugh but that doesn't take from how tough it was this weekend. Make sure you get good recovery after it - an Epsom salts bath is great if you're feeling any aches or pains after it! Eat well, sleep/rest well and do adhere to recovery/easy paces for the runs for a few days afterwards.

ariana` wrote: »
    Are you doing the Frank Duffy 10m? If you not you could do 16m that weekend (Sept 1/2nd), the HM the following weekend (Sept 8/9th) and the following weekend you could replace the 16m in the plan with the 20m that you missed the previous weekend?

No, I hadn't planned on the FD 10 mile as I've already done the Irish Runner 10 mile race.
    I wonder am I just being over cautious about running the DCHM?
    I'm also now thinking "do I really need to do a half marathon"? I know it's still early days but I think I have a fair idea of what I'm capable of (I could be very wrong) but another part of me knows it would be great experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

No, I hadn't planned on the FD 10 mile as I've already done the Irish Runner 10 mile race.
    I'm also now thinking "do I really need to do a half marathon"? I know it's still early days but I think I have a fair idea of what I'm capable of (I could be very wrong) but another part of me knows it would be great experience.

Personally I don’t think you really need the half. I didn’t have any opportunity last year to anything except a 10 mile in September and I more than likely won’t be doing anything more before DCM this year. I think the fact you know what you are capable of is just fine and you can do another long run instead without having to taper and recover so it may benefit you more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Chris2711

Hi Guys doing my first DCM marathon this year & im currently weeks into a 16 week training plan, Just wondering how everyone else is finding the training & have they had any issues or injuries, Thanks guys

I agree with KG, you don't need a half.

But i will point out the reason we factor in build up races isn't just to see what we're capable of, there are other reasons, it's an opportunity to practice

- pacing yourself over the distance and in particular managing the adrenaline and temptation to tear off at the start!
    - race morning strategy - what to eat and how long before the race to eat
    - race fueling - taking on board gels or other types of fuel in a race environment
    - what you're going to wear for the marathon so you don't end up with chaffing or other uncomfortable side effects

Now of course some/most of these you can and will also be doing on long runs but it's just something to think about.

For most people i think 1 race, preferably either a 10m or a HM, is a good idea if it can be worked into the schedule without too much stress :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

had my long runs up to 15km two weeks ago before suffering a minor ankle injury (sprained it about a year ago and it took ages to heal)

have not been able to run really since, so annoying as I was making such good progress with training. hope I can pick up where I left off and do not injure myself further

I guess I should probably taper back up rather than jumping straight into where I left off? any advice on coming back from 2-3 weeks injury? my heel is still quite sore to walk on at times but I can run without an issues, still am a bit anxious about going back too hard too soon so may try do some 5k runs this week to build it up a bit

ariana` wrote: »
    I agree with KG, you don't need a half.

But i will point out the reason we factor in build up races isn't just to see what we're capable of, there are other reasons, it's an opportunity to practice

- pacing yourself over the distance and in particular managing the adrenaline and temptation to tear off at the start!
    - race morning strategy - what to eat and how long before the race to eat
    - race fueling - taking on board gels or other types of fuel in a race environment
    - what you're going to wear for the marathon so you don't end up with chaffing or other uncomfortable side effects

Now of course some/most of these you can and will also be doing on long runs but it's just something to think about.

For most people i think 1 race, preferably either a 10m or a HM, is a good idea if it can be worked into the schedule without too much stress :)

Thanks Ariana and Kellygirl!

I think that I would really like to be able to say that I have completed both a half and a full marathon in the one year, not that that is a reason alone to do it. I really felt that running the 10 mile a few weeks ago benefited me in so many ways and I know I would feel the same about a half marathon.
    Next Monday I'm off to Bulgaria for 2 weeks so I'm fretting about being able to do my 14 and 16 mile lsr's in over there!!! Hopefully it will work out ok.
    Will make a decision on the half marathon when I get back I reckon.

Thanks again for your advice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

There isn't really a right or wrong answer to this one. Some coaches like having a few warmup races, others don't. Some runners prefer to, others don't. If you feel it might be of benefit to you then do it. If you think staying on plan is of more benefit stick with the LSR for that weekend. In my opinion neither one would hugely compromise your marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Has anyone used or heard of compressport r2v2 compression sleeves?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭yido1882

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'm also now thinking "do I really need to do a half marathon"?  I know it's still early days but I think I have a fair idea of what I'm capable of (I could be very wrong) but another part of me knows it would be great experience.

There isn't really a right or wrong answer to this one. Some coaches like having a few warmup races, others don't. Some runners prefer to, others don't. If you feel it might be of benefit to you then do it. If you think staying on plan is of more benefit stick with the LSR for that weekend. In my opinion neither one would hugely compromise your marathon.

I don't know if this has been answered before, but what pace would you recommend doing a half marathon at? 
    I'm doing the R'n'R half on 12th August. I'm on week 10 now of the HHN1 plan so I won't be missing a LSR as a result of doing this half marathon. I plan on revisting the LSR the week after the half marathon. 
    I'm weighing up 3 options; 
    1. Run it as a half marathon knowing I won't be able to run the full marathon at the same pace
    2. Run it at PMP 
    3. Run it as a LSR 

I'd prefer to do 1 or 2 but any advice would be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

yido1882 wrote: »
    1. Run it as a half marathon knowing I won't be able to run the full marathon at the same pace
    2. Run it at PMP
    3. Run it as a LSR

You forgot 'Option 4': Wear all an black Rock N Roll outfit and go as Gene Simmons, lead singer from KISS and race around with your face painted all scary black and white and make small kids cry when you pass .....:D

I would use the HM as a training run, forget about times too much, just be comfortable and try to use it as a prepp for the DCM, running in a large crowd,running with a pace group, maybe try a negative split HM, try out your hydration tactics for the big day, run without music etc. etc.

Best of luck with whatever you decide ;)

I don't know if this has been answered before, but what pace would you recommend doing a half marathon at? 
    I'm doing the R'n'R half on 12th August. I'm on week 10 now of the HHN1 plan so I won't be missing a LSR as a result of doing this half marathon. I plan on revisting the LSR the week after the half marathon. 
    2. Run it at PMP 
    3. Run it as a LSR 

If you bear with me until tomorrow I'll let you know what I think! My better half is running RnR and we are going out in the morning to run up the Knockmaroon section of the course. It's tough I just want to see how tough :pac:
    smashiner wrote: »
    You forgot 'Option 4': Wear all an black Rock N Roll outfit and go as Gene Simmons, lead singer from KISS and race around with your face painted all scary black and white and make small kids cry when you pass .....:D

I would use the HM as a training run, forget about times too much, just be comfortable and try to use it as a prepp for the DCM, running in a large crowd,running with a pace group, maybe try a negative split HM, try out your hydration tactics for the big day, run without music etc. etc.

If Chapelizod to Castleknock is in the first half then everyone should negative split! If someone races it in a smart way there isn't any reason it should negatively affect a race 12 weeks later. That being said running a race a smart way is easier said than done :pac:

Thanks Skyblue!

I think I have pretty much made up my mind, just trying to decide now which one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Is anyone else noticing that they're tired out because of the training? I'm that way today in work - thankfully it's a rest day!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭yido1882

2. Run it at PMP 
    3. Run it as a LSR 

If you bear with me until tomorrow I'll let you know what I think! My better half is running RnR and we are going out in the morning to run up the Knockmaroon section of the course. It's tough I just want to see how tough :pac:
    smashiner wrote: »

If Chapelizod to Castleknock is in the first half then everyone should negative split! If someone races it in a smart way there isn't any reason it should negatively affect a race 12 weeks later. That being said running a race a smart way is easier said than done :pac:

Thanks very much. I plan to run up Knockmaroon hill on the way home from work tomorrow myself too to see what it's like!

Is anyone else noticing that they're tired out because of the training? I'm that way today in work - thankfully it's a rest day!

No, not excessively so. Although, I have had the odd "you look tired" comment which I normally shrug off. :)
    Certainly not so tired that I would consider not running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Yep. It's normal enough, I think. Body is tired as it gets used to the new stress being put on it. The tiredness won't be there all the time but it might come and go. For me, it came when the sessions started. Then I got used to them and then it came again when I changed to a different type of session. (I'm following a different plan). No doubt it will hit again just before taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Yep. It's normal enough, I think. Body is tired as it gets used to the new stress being put on it. The tiredness won't be there all the time but it might come and go. For me, it came when the sessions started. Then I got used to them and then it came again when I changed to a different type of session. (I'm following a different plan). No doubt it will hit again just before taper.

It's not a constant tiredness but it certainly does come and go. It's nothing to complain about either, I'm getting to bed a lot earlier and generally sleeping a lot better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

Sleep is just as an important part of training as running, so make sure your getting a decent amount of sleep. Struggling today myself as I was out til 4am Sunday morning thinking I was a teenager again. LSR's and beer don't mix too good

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Rossi7 wrote: »
    LSR's and beer don't mix too good

Did you find the beer made your DOMs worse?
    I done my 15 miles on sat and then went out that night. I could barely walk on Sunday my muscles were so sore - and honestly I wasn't hungover!
    I was fine last week after my 13 miles so the beers were the only thing I done differently :o

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Aoifemcc19

Just caught up on the last two weeks of messages that I missed on holibops!! Well done all the racers, loved catching up on everyones updates!! Sounds like a race for the to do list after DCM!! The way my week is working out I have to do my LSR of 16 miles tomorrow morning - DREADING it!! Have been fine about the long runs before holidays but the two down weeks away have affected my brain and I'm stressing about 16 miles when I did 15 miles no problem 2 weeks ago!! Anyway hoping for the best.....

With regard to feeling tired postings, I go through phases but then I start taking pharmaton or Berroca for a few weeks and make sure I'm eating enough it all comes good again. Hopefully that will last!! I suffer badly from migraines if I push it too much so I live in fear of not eating or drinking enough water before runs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

kittyclaws wrote: »
    Rossi7 wrote: »
    LSR's and beer don't mix too good

Did you find the beer made your DOMs worse?
    I done my 15 miles on sat and then went out that night. I could barely walk on Sunday my muscles were so sore - and honestly I wasn't hungover!
    I was fine last week after my 13 miles so the beers were the only thing I done differently :o
    No I don’t get DOMS much these days, just shattered. The beer acted like WD40 more so than make me feel worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

My advice would be even a bit slower than this but about 9:10 for easy runs and 9:30-9:45 for long runs would be OK for you. Well done on making the effort to get that race done. Great dedication and willingness to learn. Congrats too on knocking the best part of 2 minutes off your last time :)

Thanks very much for your advice, really appreciate it. Making a conscious effort to slow down even further this week. Managed to slow down to 9:10 for 6 miles yesterday but was back to 9:00 for 6 miles this morning. Will have to invest in a fancy watch to keep me at the right pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Clibee

Hey ,

I’ve noticed most people are following the boards plan, which is a good bit more miles that the HH plan. I’m starting to worry should I be doing more miles ? Will the hh plan get me to the finish line😬
    I’ve a wedding/hen most weekends over July and August which is seriously putting my training under pressure .

Clibee wrote: »
    Hey ,

I’ve noticed most people are following the boards plan, which is a good bit more miles that the HH plan. I’m starting to worry should I be doing more miles ? Will the hh plan get me to the finish line��
    I’ve a wedding/hen most weekends over July and August which is seriously putting my training under pressure .

Yes the plan will get you there if followed correctly, don't worry about that. It is designed to get you to the finish. That being said please don't underestimate the marathon, it's a monster! My advice regarding events that put training under pressure...deal with it somehow! Get the training done in the middle of the night if you have to. Even around weddings and hens there are plenty of hours left for runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Yes the plan will get you there if followed correctly, don't worry about that. It is designed to get you to the finish. That being said please don't underestimate the marathon, it's a monster! My advice regarding events that put training under pressure...deal with it somehow! Get the training done in the middle of the night if you have to. Even around weddings and hens there are plenty of hours left for runs.

Plenty time between the church and the reception to squeeze in a few miles!

Aoifemcc19 wrote: »
    Just caught up on the last two weeks of messages that I missed on holibops!! Well done all the racers, loved catching up on everyones updates!! Sounds like a race for the to do list after DCM!! The way my week is working out I have to do my LSR of 16 miles tomorrow morning - DREADING it!! Have been fine about the long runs before holidays but the two down weeks away have affected my brain and I'm stressing about 16 miles when I did 15 miles no problem 2 weeks ago!! Anyway hoping for the best.....

With regard to feeling tired postings, I go through phases but then I start taking pharmaton or Berroca for a few weeks and make sure I'm eating enough it all comes good again. Hopefully that will last!! I suffer badly from migraines if I push it too much so I live in fear of not eating or drinking enough water before runs!!

That's going to be tough for you playing catch up! Did you consider doing any running while you were away or was it just not an option for you?

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Plenty time between the church and the reception to squeeze in a few miles!

Not to mention the afternoon drinks reception. That's at least two hours freed up right there! :p

Advertisement