Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

coogy wrote: »
    That's going to be tough for you playing catch up! Did you consider doing any running while you were away or was it just not an option for you?

If I'm correct she got plenty of running and cycling in on the holiers. Some great pics on Strava too....just not a long run. You even chatted to her about the temperatures she was running in. Haha, it's one of the benefits of our list of Strava names :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

skyblue46 wrote: »
    If I'm correct she got plenty of running and cycling in on the holiers. Some great pics on Strava too....just not a long run.

Ah cool! Still trying to match up the Boards usernames to the Strava usernames!

wpid-confused-face-1_jpg_zpsc7vfedtb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you can't do the long runs on the weekend, do them during the week, but do the long runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Clibee wrote: »
    Hey ,

I’ve noticed most people are following the boards plan, which is a good bit more miles that the HH plan. I’m starting to worry should I be doing more miles ? Will the hh plan get me to the finish line��
    I’ve a wedding/hen most weekends over July and August which is seriously putting my training under pressure .

It absolutely will get you around guaranteed but as SkyBlue and RayCun have said you do need to get the runs done especially the long runs but all of the runs play their part in preparing you for the big day. The shorter runs build cumulative fatigue in your legs so that when you're doing say your 16 m long run you are emulating the last 16 miles of the marathon and not the first 16 miles. We rarely train beyond 20 miles so those last 6 miles are a bit of an unknown but by training on tired legs we are in some part attempting to train for the feeling you will have in the last 20 rather than in the first 20. I hope i am making sense.

The HHN1 plan has been tried and tested year on year though so don't worry, we had plenty of runners last year who used it and got around comfortably :)

Have you started thinking about how you will manage the Hens/Weddings, planning is key to it, what is they say "fail to prepare and prepare to fail" ;)

Welcome back Aoifemcc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

Clibee wrote: »
    Hey ,

I’ve noticed most people are following the boards plan, which is a good bit more miles that the HH plan. I’m starting to worry should I be doing more miles ? Will the hh plan get me to the finish line😬
    I’ve a wedding/hen  most weekends over July and August which is seriously putting my training under pressure .

I'll have to do the 18 mile LSR when I'm in Italy, I got a lend of a Camelbak to get me through it. Small sacrafices is what will get you through the marathon along with your training plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

RayCun wrote: »
    If you can't do the long runs on the weekend, do them during the week, but do the long runs.

Agreed. Mine have always been done on a Wednesday in previous training cycles. You get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

I'm going on holiday in September, Thurs 13th - 21st.
    I'm changing my plan now to try get all my long runs in - if I go out on Saturday 8th for my planned 20 miles would it be too soon to do the next long run (16 miles) on Wednesday 12th before I go?

(I'll be doing the Dublin half marathon the day after I get home, hopefully I'll get a few runs in while I'm away and it won't be too painful - I definitely won't be racing that one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Rossi7 wrote: »
    I'll have to do the 18 mile LSR when I'm in Italy, I got a lend of a Camelbak to get me through it. Small sacrafices is what will get you through the marathon along with your training plan

Running on holidays can be really enjoyable, too. I'd a great LSR in Paris last year, pottering along the Seine, taking in the sights.

Rossi7 wrote: »

It's quite likely most people will miss 1 long run through illness, niggles, or life events. It becomes an issue when it's several weekends.

If you are very determined not to miss it (which is great by the way ;)) but if you wanted to take the pressure off doing a very long run while away, you could switch the 18m with the 14m two previously and you could do anything in the range 10-12m while in Italy and you'd still have the box ticked.

I don't think anyone should be under pressure on holidays :cool:
    kittyclaws wrote: »
    I'm going on holiday in September, Thurs 13th - 21st.
    I'm changing my plan now to try get all my long runs in - if I go out on Saturday 8th for my planned 20 miles would it be too soon to do the next long run (16 miles) on Wednesday 12th before I go?

(I'll be doing the Dublin half marathon the day after I get home, hopefully I'll get a few runs in while I'm away and it won't be too painful - I definitely won't be racing that one!)

I think it would be too soon to be honest. The 20 m run is the longest in the plan, it's a monster distance and you'd be risking injury if you don't allow appropriate recovery time. Could you do the 20m on the Friday by any chance? And that would give you 1 extra day between runs. Or alternatively i'd probably switch the 16m for 12m perhaps? You might get more experienced replies also - i know this type of scenario happened last year so there is definitely a solution ;)

ariana` wrote: »
    I think it would be too soon to be honest. The 20 m run is the longest in the plan, it's a monster distance and you'd be risking injury if you don't allow appropriate recovery time. Could you do the 20m on the Friday by any chance? And that would give you 1 extra day between runs. Or alternatively i'd probably switch the 16m for 12m perhaps? You might get more experienced replies also - i know this type of scenario happened last year so there is definitely a solution ;)

Thank you - I could do the long run on Friday - or Thursday if it would be better again.
    I'll wait and do what I'm advised by those in the know :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Aoifemcc19 wrote: »
    Just caught up on the last two weeks of messages that I missed on holibops!! Well done all the racers, loved catching up on everyones updates!! Sounds like a race for the to do list after DCM!! The way my week is working out I have to do my LSR of 16 miles tomorrow morning - DREADING it!! Have been fine about the long runs before holidays but the two down weeks away have affected my brain and I'm stressing about 16 miles when I did 15 miles no problem 2 weeks ago!! Anyway hoping for the best.....

With regard to feeling tired postings, I go through phases but then I start taking pharmaton or Berroca for a few weeks and make sure I'm eating enough it all comes good again. Hopefully that will last!! I suffer badly from migraines if I push it too much so I live in fear of not eating or drinking enough water before runs!!

Welcome back from your holidays! Hope the LSR went well this morning too!

Question for you about the migraines if you don't mind! I used to get them and then stopped for ages, but over the last few months I've had quite a few straight after running. Are yours related to exercise do you think? And does eating/drinking beforehand help prevent them?

Thank you - I could do the long run on Friday - or Thursday if it would be better again.

Sat 1st, Thursday 6th and Wednesday 12th would seem to be the best compromise. Keep all runs easy between the 1st and 6th. Don't try squeezing any pace miles in that few days.

Are you doing FD10? If you are then I think go with the Friday for the 20m just to give you that extra day recovery before the next long run on the Wednesday. If you're not doing FD10 then we have scope there to switch things around altogether and do a long run that weekend.

In general it's not recommended to chase lost miles, if a run is missed it's missed and don't panic about it. But if things can be arranged to get all the runs in and still allow sufficient recovery time between runs then all the better.

Sat 1st, Thursday 6th and Wednesday 12th would seem to be the best compromise. Keep all runs easy between the 1st and 6th. Don't try squeezing any pace miles in that few days.

I'll update my spreadsheet - thanks for that :D

Good to read all these posts about fitting the training schedule around holidays.

I am off for two weeks on Monday and I fully intend to meet the schedule to the best of my ability. That said, I also expect at least one of my lsr's to be compromised in some way but hard to know until I actually get there!! It may just as easily work out without any problems.

Whatever the outcome, I'll just do my best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Good to read all these posts about fitting the training schedule around holidays.

I am off for two weeks on Monday and I fully intend to meet the schedule to the best of my ability. That said, I also expect at least one of my lsr's to be compromised in some way but hard to know until I actually get there!! It may just as easily work out without any problems.

Whatever the outcome, I'll just do my best!

Sunny beach isint it?? I'm just back, try get out as early as possible (while still enjoying your holiday!!) as the heat crucified me later in the day.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Sunny beach isint it?? I'm just back, try get out as early as possible (while still enjoying your holiday!!) as the heat crucified me later in the day.

Wow, really?

What was your longest run?

I have a 14 mile route mapped out, hopefully it will go according to plan! Did you enjoy the actual place itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Wow, really?

What was your longest run?

I have a 14 mile route mapped out, hopefully it will go according to plan! Did you enjoy the actual place itself?

Yeah just back, only 7 miles I think as I had really bad stomach issues (no doubt the heat at 1pm added to that.. stupid) Sunny beach to Nessebar is a great route, brings you all along the coast out to the old town, please try stay off main roads as they arent great over there.

Ive been going the last couple of years, great spot over there!

ariana` wrote: »
    Are you doing FD10? If you are then I think go with the Friday for the 20m just to give you that extra day recovery before the next long run on the Wednesday. If you're not doing FD10 then we have scope there to switch things around altogether and do a long run that weekend.

In general it's not recommended to chase lost miles, if a run is missed it's missed and don't panic about it. But if things can be arranged to get all the runs in and still allow sufficient recovery time between runs then all the better.

I am doing FD10 - but only as an easy run as I know from experience that it takes me about a week to recover from a 10 mile race.
    I'll see how I recover and go out either Thursday or Friday evening for my 20 miles.

I am doing FD10 - but only as an easy run as I know from experience that it takes me about a week to recover from a 10 mile race.
    I'll see how I recover and go out either Thursday or Friday evening for my 20 miles.

Ok, good to know. I plan to head out at the crack of dawn, all being well!

This is a 14 mile route (involving two loops). From what I can see, there's footpaths all the way around so hopefully it will be safe enough.

sunny%20beach%20route_zps0tuesibz.jpg

• Advertisement

Perfect if you're doing is as an easy run then either Thursday or Friday will be fine for the 20m long run. I was concerned if you were racing it then Thursday might be too soon for the 20m. Either Thurs or Fri and then you have 5-6 days to recover for the 16m and you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Clibee

Thanks for all the posts. I feel reassured. Yeah I nearly always do my long runs during the week. I have all my runs planned around events and I haven’t missed one yet. Hopefully that will continue. 😀thanks for all the advise , I’ve learned so much from this thread .😀👌

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I've done 3 runs in the last 2 weeks. Am I screwed? New baby born on Thursday last has scuppered my training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I've done 3 runs in the last 2 weeks. Am I screwed? New baby born on Thursday last has scuppered my training

To be honest I've been where you were recently enough and running needs to take a back seat to all else when a new baba arrives. Or at least running a plan with a race as big as DCM in mind.

First of all a big congratulations to you and your good lady. I hope all are healthy and well.

As for DCM....going forward how many runs a week do you think you will be able to do? Would you be happy to just get around or have you your heart set on a time?

Ok folks I'll throw this out there and see what ye can come up with. I think a get together might be a nice idea for ye. I'm free the weekend of the 25/26th and would love to meet some of the gang for a little run. I know some do long runs on a Saturday, some on a Sunday.....maybe a meet for a gentle recovery jog would be best. It'd give you a chance to put names to faces before the Frank Duffy. So the ball is in your court, tell me what day to meet ye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Congrats on the new baby.

I suppose you have to weigh up how soon you can get back running and if you can get out as many times as you need to a week. Maybe you can change the times of your runs to suit your wife or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭yido1882

Ok folks I'll throw this out there and see what ye can come up with. I think a get together might be a nice idea for ye. I'm free the weekend of the 25/26th and would love to meet some of the gang for a little run. I know some do long runs on a Saturday, some on a Sunday.....maybe a meet for a gentle recovery jog would be best. It'd give you a chance to put names to faces before the Frank Duffy. So the ball is in your court, tell me what day to meet ye!
    Sounds good, I think the Phoenix Park is closed off that weekend though for the Pope if you were thinking about going there.

yido1882 wrote: »
    Sounds good, I think the Phoenix Park is closed off that weekend though for the Pope if you were thinking about going there.

I was.. the whole city will be in a heap! Maybe ye'll just have to organise your own meet up another weekend :)

• Advertisement

Congratulations on the new baby, it's a very exciting time for you! Is it your 1st? We had a DCM Novice Baby born last year during training too so Lazare might be able to offer some advice if he pops his head in ;)

Are you back at work - is running on your lunch hour an option for you? You could do the mid week runs done with minimal impact on the family that way. And for the long run it really is a case of sitting down with your better half and figuring out if there is a way it can be done with least impact to her.

I'm sure the training can be done, it's not a case that it can't but a new baby is a very special time and need to weigh up what can be done, maybe as others pointed out it's a case of doing it with lowered expectations. And if you decide to park it, DCM will still be there next year and any training you've done will still stand to you.

Advertisement