Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Morning all, lovely aul day for a run

I broke the pace run into two 4K half's, partly because I had mucked around with the settings on my watch and wasn't happy with it

I had set out with a range between 6.15 and 6.45 per K as my aim, I struggle with pace so I thought best not to pick an out and out target

I averaged slap bang in the middle of the range so can't be too unhappy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I've done 3 runs in the last 2 weeks. Am I screwed? New baby born on Thursday last has scuppered my training
    Congratulations!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Ok folks I'll throw this out there and see what ye can come up with. I think a get together might be a nice idea for ye. I'm free the weekend of the 25/26th and would love to meet some of the gang for a little run. I know some do long runs on a Saturday, some on a Sunday.....maybe a meet for a gentle recovery jog would be best. It'd give you a chance to put names to faces before the Frank Duffy. So the ball is in your court, tell me what day to meet ye!
    Ah I'd love a meet up but I'm hoping to get to a race that weekend. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whiskey_sour

Morning all, lovely aul day for a run

I broke the pace run into two 4K half's, partly because I had mucked around with the settings on my watch and wasn't happy with it

I had set out with a range between 6.15 and 6.45 per K as my aim, I struggle with pace so I thought best not to pick an out and out target

I averaged slap bang in the middle of the range so can't be too unhappy with that
    I averaged about where I wanted to too but Jesus the consistency was awful....really need to work on that! I did end up having to run up and down steps to cross bridges though so I'm kind of blaming that :P!
    For those of us running half marathons next weekend should we do the pace run next week or keep them as easy miles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

I averaged about where I wanted to too but Jesus the consistency was awful....really need to work on that! I did end up having to run up and down steps to cross bridges though so I'm kind of blaming that :P!
    For those of us running half marathons next weekend should we do the pace run next week or keep them as easy miles?

Yes keep them easy but you could throw in 4-5 strides towards the end on the Wed or Thurs runs. Are you racing the HM or planning to do it as a MP session or other?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whiskey_sour

ariana` wrote: »

Yes keep them easy but you could throw in 4-5 strides towards the end on the Wed or Thurs runs. Are you racing the HM or planning to do it as a MP session or other?
    Thanks ariana! Yes I'm going to race it...my only race this year so far has been a parkrun so really need to see where I'm at to figure out a goal time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Firstly, thanks all for the best wishes. Everyone doing good here
    First of all a big congratulations to you and your good lady. I hope all are healthy and well.

As for DCM....going forward how many runs a week do you think you will be able to do? Would you be happy to just get around or have you your heart set on a time?

I had hoped for 3.45 or thereabouts. Wouldn't be happy to just do it. To keep me motivated, I'd need a time to aim for
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Congrats on the new baby.

I suppose you have to weigh up how soon you can get back running and if you can get out as many times as you need to a week. Maybe you can change the times of your runs to suit your wife or something.
    Congratulations on the new baby, it's a very exciting time for you! Is it your 1st? We had a DCM Novice Baby born last year during training too so Lazare might be able to offer some advice if he pops his head in ;)

Are you back at work - is running on your lunch hour an option for you? You could do the mid week runs done with minimal impact on the family that way. And for the long run it really is a case of sitting down with your better half and figuring out if there is a way it can be done with least impact to her.

I'm sure the training can be done, it's not a case that it can't but a new baby is a very special time and need to weigh up what can be done, maybe as others pointed out it's a case of doing it with lowered expectations. And if you decide to park it, DCM will still be there next year and any training you've done will still stand to you.

Not in work until the 14th, so I could get to do lunch runs then. The weekend one is a problem as the time away grows and grows each week, and the weekend long run is the most important of course. I'd normally do it Sunday morning. Mon-Fri I'd have my day job, then Saturday back on the farm doing what needs to be done. So running that day is out.

To be honest, I don't know what I'm going to do really

I had hoped for 3.45 or thereabouts. Wouldn't be happy to just do it. To keep me motivated, I'd need a time to aim for

Not in work until the 14th, so I could get to do lunch runs then. The weekend one is a problem as the time away grows and grows each week, and the weekend long run is the most important of course. I'd normally do it Sunday morning. Mon-Fri I'd have my day job, then Saturday back on the farm doing what needs to be done. So running that day is out.

Oh dear. I've been on the other side off your situation. My OH has a full time job, he's a part-time farmer and is a hobby cyclist. I'll be honest and tell you i would have divorced him if he'd contemplated training for a big (in his case cycling) event in the early months after the births of any of our 3 kids :P

It seems to me that you have 2 options

get up ridiculously early on a Saturday and do the long run before the farm work or

chase a different goal for this year - such as 10k. You could tackle the marathon next year with a strong base, faster paces etc.

There is a training technique that you could investigate which may help if you go with the first option - I'm not an expert on it but it involves splitting the long run over 2 runs - a PM run followed the next day by an AM run - so for example 16m run might become 8m on a Friday evening followed by 10m on a Saturday morning. It is probably not ideal though but it might help some weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭yido1882

First of all a big congratulations to you and your good lady. I hope all are healthy and well.

As for DCM....going forward how many runs a week do you think you will be able to do? Would you be happy to just get around or have you your heart set on a time?

Congrats on the new baby.

I suppose you have to weigh up how soon you can get back running and if you can get out as many times as you need to a week. Maybe you can change the times of your runs to suit your wife or something.
    Congratulations on the new baby, it's a very exciting time for you! Is it your 1st? We had a DCM Novice Baby born last year during training too so Lazare might be able to offer some advice if he pops his head in  ;)

Are you back at work - is running on your lunch hour an option for you? You could do the mid week runs done with minimal impact on the family that way. And for the long run it really is a case of sitting down with your better half and figuring out if there is a way it can be done with least impact to her.  

I'm sure the training can be done, it's not a case that it can't but a new baby is a very special time and need to weigh up what can be done, maybe as others pointed out it's a case of doing it with lowered expectations. And if you decide to park it, DCM will still be there next year and any training you've done will still stand to you.

Congrats on the new arrival! In my experience of having new born babies, it was a challenge not to fall asleep standing up in the first few weeks, let alone train for a marathon! 
    Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Ok folks I'll throw this out there and see what ye can come up with. I think a get together might be a nice idea for ye. I'm free the weekend of the 25/26th and would love to meet some of the gang for a little run. I know some do long runs on a Saturday, some on a Sunday.....maybe a meet for a gentle recovery jog would be best. It'd give you a chance to put names to faces before the Frank Duffy. So the ball is in your court, tell me what day to meet ye!

I'd be up for a meet up - I think it would be good for people and get a good camaraderie going.

However:

I feel a little bit in crisis mode :eek:. Bear with me, I may be my own worst enemy.

I have pretty much constant nerve pain in arm or shoulder. The only time my shoulder isn’t hurting is when I am running/moving about. I’m not in a position to take time off work for a week or two. I went to the gym on Monday, and for me, it was a light session. I decided (without much approval*) to try to add a runmute into my Tuesday/Wednesday schedule, to fit in the sessions better. I drove to work Tuesday, left the car, ran home (uphill), and did the reverse this morning (downhill).

Things I learned:
    • 12 hours between runs at my level was not enough.
    • I hate running.
    • I hate running uphill.
    • Even worse, my idea of uphill is probably routine for many
    • Running downhill can feel as bad as running uphill, when done 12 hours just later.
    • I have 2 paces, LSR slow and easy slow. Even downhill.
    • My splits are atrocious.
    • There is not a hope in hell I will be able to run at anywhere near my last 5k or HM pace ever again - not even for 1k. I am going backwards.
    • The idea of running again makes me want to cry and eat figrolls :o

Is it just a bad day, that will stand to me, or do I just cut my losses now?

*I thought about it, but did not run this runmute plan on here or my log first. I was pretty sure I would be shouted at!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

juke wrote: »
    I'd be up for a meet up - I think it would be good for people and get a good camaraderie going.

However:

I feel a little bit in crisis mode :eek:. Bear with me, I may be my own worst enemy.

I have pretty much constant nerve pain in arm or shoulder. The only time my shoulder isn’t hurting is when I am running/moving about. I’m not in a position to take time off work for a week or two. I went to the gym on Monday, and for me, it was a light session. I decided (without much approval*) to try to add a runmute into my Tuesday/Wednesday schedule, to fit in the sessions better. I drove to work Tuesday, left the car, ran home (uphill), and did the reverse this morning (downhill).

Things I learned:
    • I hate running.
    • I hate running uphill.
    • Running downhill can feel as bad as running uphill, when done 12 hours just later.
    • There is not a hope in hell I will be able to run at anywhere near my last 5k or HM pace ever again - not even for 1k. I am going backwards.

*I thought about it, but did not run this runmute plan on here or my log first. I was pretty sure I would be shouted at!

Oh boy. You are having a bad day.

Firstly the shoulder - have to tried acupuncture? The minute I saw nerve pain that’s what I thought of. You are going to have to figure that out or it will drive you crazy.

Secondly, stop worrying about paces. You will get back to the faster paces but right now you need to just worry about time on your feet anyway so the slower the better. Splits on hills whether up or down are hard to control and keep even.

Downhill is hard. It might feel easy at the time bit it’s harder on the legs.

Lastly figrolls - they are nice but make sure you have a cup of tea with them! (Don’t try eat them while running which is what I tried to do training for DCM last year as somebody told me they are better than gels - too dry to eat while running - and I needed the cup of tea).

After your figrolls and tea what about an Epsom salts bath?

• Advertisement

:eek: That's exactly what I need, my heads such a mess It never occurred to me. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

However:

Things I learned:
    • I hate running.
    • I hate running uphill.

Sweet divine mother of the holy baby Jesus! :eek:

Give it 24 hours and then revisit that list above. If you hate something then don't do it. Life is too short.

Things that I can however comment with some level of certainty are....

1. 12 hours between runs can be too much for some. No need to feel bad about that.

2. Most dislike hills. That's why any race that can will advertise it's route as flat and fast. It also explains the comments about the RnR half course being a pig of a route.

3. You will run faster again...training over time generally reaps rewards.

4. Nearly everyone except a chosen few and my good self struggle with pacing. This especially applies to Novice DCM runners :pac:

5. Never eat Fig Rolls. They are the devils spawn, terrible bloody things! :eek:

6. Running beats gym, everyday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What are you doing in the gym?

Oh boy. You are having a bad day.

Firstly the shoulder - have to tried acupuncture? The minute I saw nerve pain that’s what I thought of. You are going to have to figure that out or it will drive you crazy.

Secondly, stop worrying about paces. You will get back to the faster paces but right now you need to just worry about time on your feet anyway so the slower the better. Splits on hills whether up or down are hard to control and keep even.

Downhill is hard. It might feel easy at the time bit it’s harder on the legs.

Lastly figrolls - they are nice but make sure you have a cup of tea with them! (Don’t try eat them while running which is what I tried to do training for DCM last year as somebody told me they are better than gels - too dry to eat while running - and I needed the cup of tea).

Well that feels better, in hindsight, I should have had a salt bath last night.

Acupuncture: no - and it hasn’t been suggested by my GP or either physio. Dry-needling freaks me out.

I’ve read these novices threads for 3 years - I know this sort of panic comes up all the time. But when you’re slogging along, and passed with a smiling ‘hello’ by someone who’s running along ‘effortlessly’, and out of sign in minutes, the doubts creep in :o
    Sweet divine mother of the holy baby Jesus! :eek:

Give it 24 hours and then revisit that list above. If you hate something then don't do it. Life is too short.

Things that I can however comment with some level of certainty are....

1. 12 hours between runs can be too much for some. No need to feel bad about that.

2. Most dislike hills. That's why any race that can will advertise it's route as flat and fast. It also explains the comments about the RnR half course being a pig of a route.

3. You will run faster again...training over time generally reaps rewards.

4. Nearly everyone except a chosen few and my good self struggle with pacing. This especially applies to Novice DCM runners :pac:

5. Never eat Fig Rolls. They are the devils spawn, terrible bloody things! :eek:

6. Running beats gym, everyday :D

Figrolls are my re-discovered ‘cake’.
    You are wrong about the Gym :)
    You are of course most likely right about everything else ;)

RayCun wrote: »
    What are you doing in the gym?
    Completely scaled back from training to compete in powerlifting competitions, to give this marathon training a chance - and nurse the shoulder. Monday was a closely monitored:

Legpress, seated row, hamstring curls, neutral dumbbell shoulder press, one arm row, neutral lat pull-down. All at about 40% usual effort, except legwork - maybe 60%. 45 min session, loads of stretching & foam-rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

I’ve read these novices threads for 3 years - I know this sort of panic comes up all the time. But when you’re slogging along, and passed with a smiling ‘hello’ by someone who’s running along ‘effortlessly’, and out of sign in minutes, the doubts creep in :o

I certainly wouldn't worry about this, happens me all the time, at least people are polite about it :)

Besides you aren't "racing" against anyone but yourself in something like this, there will always be someone faster and indeed slower in most cases

Plus you never know how far that person has run or will be running, could be a lot less than you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

How can you say such a thing???? I eat those things by the sleeve!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

coogy wrote: »
    How can you say such a thing???? I eat those things by the sleeve!!! :D

I thought it was a shocking thing to say....and Lidl fig rolls are so cheaply addictive

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Alorra

I was.. the whole city will be in a heap! Maybe ye'll just have to organise your own meet up another weekend :)

I will try and come along if this happens if can at all. i will let the decision be made and jump on the bandwagon if it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

eyrie wrote: »
    Welcome back from your holidays! Hope the LSR went well this morning too!

Question for you about the migraines if you don't mind! I used to get them and then stopped for ages, but over the last few months I've had quite a few straight after running. Are yours related to exercise do you think? And does eating/drinking beforehand help prevent them?

I was meaning to write back to these messages, about migraines. I got so many of them in June - at the start of upping my exercise. Came in middle of run or just at end.

And nothing since... until last night... when I was at my furthest point from my house - BOOM it strikes.

Such a pain. but i did nearly the whole 7 miles (5 miles paceish) boards plan. Half blind for most of it. But had to get home.

I have been nursing a swollen ankle since last week - Rested thursday to tuesday - sadly missed the LSR. But i am very wary of injuring myself. So strapped up this week and am setting off nice and steady each day. All going ok at the moment.

I truly feel I am destined to not run. migraines, swollen ankles etc... either way I will persevere!!! And i promise to stop moaning whenever I come on here. I am feeling positive nonetheless, and i have the excitement about training back... kinda... absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. :)

I have a sports massage next week. I am really looking forward to. Had one around a month ago also. Amazing!!! :) Loosened up legssss sooooo much.

Then I am off on my holidays to the alps - mountaineering in just over a week. I am very excited about that and I hope the days up high up will 1. help strengthen my legs etc and also 2. some high altitude training is practically doping :) so looking forward to my natural increase in red blood cells :)))))

So anyway thanks for listening to my ramblings. I am hopefully BACK on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

first run in a week or so. Shins have calmed down. Bought and wore the calf sleeves for first time. Next day or so will tell me where I am overall

Wedding at weekend really awkward run wise, 4m last night, will do 6-8m tomorrow evening all going well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

However:

Things I learned:
    • I hate running.
    • I hate running uphill.

I've been runmuting for three years. Previously to the Northside and more recently to Stepaside and I cried the first time I did the Stepaside runmute, if it makes you feel any better! Stopped at a bus stop and had an old blub for myself.

I'd love a figroll right now.

(It's just a bad day. You got it done. It will, of course, stand to you. I'm feeling quite one paced myself at the moment.)

However:

Things I learned:
    • I hate running.
    • I hate running uphill.

Juke i sincerely hope you ate the figrolls and felt better afterwards! Today is a new day :)

Constant pain would wreck anyone's head, i don't know how you're getting out of bed every morning never mind functioning through the day so don't be so hard on yourself, you're doing mighty.

I hate hills too :mad: The roads around me are all flat - i have to force myself to look for hills cos i know they are good for me :rolleyes: They will stand to you but slow down for them and use your arms, that can help a lot, swing your arms to power you up them. And keep reminding yourself that when DCM comes around the hills will be like little speed bumps to you ;)

And i bet most of this group feel like they have just 1 pace right now. I know i did last year. My body went to that pace automatically at the start of every run and never left it. You will run faster again i can guarantee you that, the body doesn't forget, it will need a gentle reminding after DCM but for now you are training for an endurance event and that is the main thing!

Hope today is a better day for you x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

Seeing as the thread has turned into 24 Hours in ER, I may as well add that I'm too on the sidelines since Monday night after my last run. Smothered with a head cold that I can't shake off. A bit better today so might loosen the legs tonight as I'll be doing my LSR come hail rain or shine tomorrow evening as I have a 2 day wedding this weekend. The running gear will be packed to sweat the alcohol out Sunday morning.
    For the folks that complain of headaches, I usually take sugary cup of tea and normally clears up. Might be an idea to try a few glucose sweets before you head out for your runs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

A few posts about injuries and/or colds etc. at the minute. Hope you all feel better soon and are back pounding the roads at the pace you want.

I'm looking forward to the "short" LSR of 7 miles this Saturday. Never did I think I would refer to a 7 mile run as short.

Managed to get myself lost on my run yesterday, 3 miles from my house! In a town where I have lived all my life! Only me. Had to ring for a lift home as I was under pressure time wise. That's what I get for trying a new route on a whim! Sure it provided a laugh to my family anyway.

Have a great day everyone. Enjoy your run if running today.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Just a quick note to say that feeling a bit overwhelmed/crappy/tired/can't do this marathon thing, is pretty normal for a lot of Novices particularly around the jump from 10-20 miles as the body starts to give out a little and a planned LSR or run may not go as well as intended.

I personally had a speed wobble on my first DCM prep when after weeks of decent progress, I went out and tried to do a 23K LSR and felt exhausted and 'I can't do this' and I almost stopped and threw in the towel on the whole thing. I took a few days off from running and skipped a shorter run, ate well for the week, had a few early nights, had vitamin C etc. and then went out and did a 25K LSR the following weekend and felt great and never looked back.

Even if you miss the odd run due to sickness/injury/busy schedules, you will be amongst the best prepared people at the start line of the DCM as plenty of people I know just rock up on the day and 'give it a go' with nowhere near the effort that you guys are putting it.

Stay positive Novices.....only a few more weeks of this madness left......you can and you will do this!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

If anybody finds they don't much like the taste or texture of energy gels I would recommend "Clif Blok" energy chews. Its the same stuff but instead of a runny gel they are more like eating a soft wine gum, I much prefer them.

Thanks for the recommendation. My order of these gummies just arrived and I tried one; they taste really good, very sweet but that's to be expected of course!

If anyone uses the flipbelt, would you recommend it? Are sizes true?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭yido1882

If anybody finds they don't much like the taste or texture of energy gels I would recommend "Clif Blok" energy chews. Its the same stuff but instead of a runny gel they are more like eating a soft wine gum, I much prefer them.

Thanks for the recommendation. My order of these gummies just arrived and I tried one; they taste really good,  very sweet but that's to be expected of course!

Thanks
    I bought a Flipbelt a few weeks ago, I find it really good, it's very comfortable and you can store your phone, keys etc. in it if needed. I've only used it for Gels so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

For all those sick with head colds etc - it’s quite common for this to happen a few weeks after ramp up of training. Just make sure you allow yourself recover and you’ll come back stronger.

Headaches and Migraines - I used get these on my first marathon training cycle I think it was. Used have the whole migraine aura and all. I’m convinced it came down to hydration and it was then I started taking zero tablets a couple of days before long runs and on the day obviously. I’d been to my gp about it and he recommended diorolye twice daily - I use zero tabs instead.
    Thanks for the recommendation. My order of these gummies just arrived and I tried one; they taste really good, very sweet but that's to be expected of course!

Thanks

Flip belts are brilliant. Best running item ever. Sizes are true I think. I have a small and a medium and would be a size 12. Both fit but when I want to carry water as well as my phone and maybe gels etc the medium is better. I’d recommend the one with the zipper and also the curved water bottle you can buy with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

For all those sick with head colds etc - it’s quite common for this to happen a few weeks after ramp up of training. Just make sure you allow yourself recover and you’ll come back stronger.

Headaches and Migraines - I used get these on my first marathon training cycle I think it was. Used have the whole migraine aura and all. I’m convinced it came down to hydration and it was then I started taking zero tablets a couple of days before long runs and on the day obviously. I’d been to my gp about it and he recommended diorolye twice daily - I use zero tabs instead.

Absolutely agree re zero tabs. Find them great. I also find the weather change - pressure affects me with migraines. I get the aura also and im running practically blind when they spring up. And of course if I havent slept well. But I have to remember to keep hydrated. Essential and I often forget. Thanks for the reminder :) I will be guzzling them now as part of my routine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

julie2tubz wrote: »
    Absolutely agree re zero tabs. Find them great. I also find the weather change - pressure affects me with migraines. I get the aura also and im running practically blind when they spring up. And of course if I havent slept well. But I have to remember to keep hydrated. Essential and I often forget. Thanks for the reminder :) I will be guzzling them now as part of my routine.

I always question the amount of water you need to add a Zero tab to. I think it's something like 750 ml. That's seems a lot to me!

Advertisement