Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

I've done 3 runs in the last 2 weeks. Am I screwed? New baby born on Thursday last has scuppered my training

Hiya, my wife had our daughter mid September last year. Running took a little bit of a hit when she got home for a few days IIRC. My situation was helped a lot by my wife breastfeeding, meaning there were no night feeds.

Other than a couple of times during paternity when I had a spare daytime hour all my running was (and still is) at the crack of dawn. There's no other way.

If you can't do it, don't worry, do one when you can, nowhere near as important as enjoying every minute of the new bambito.

You're definitely not screwed anyway, I missed almost two weeks during August when an injury flared up. If I lost any fitness it was marginal, and quickly recovered.

Congrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

coogy wrote: »
    I always question the amount of water you need to add a Zero tab to. I think it's something like 750 ml. That's seems a lot to me!

Yeah, that’s what’s suggested on the packet but it also says you can add two tablets to 750mls on the old packaging. That seems to have disappeared off the new packaging. Anyway, I normally add to a 750 ml bottle and sip away over a few hours but on Marathon day I half the tablets and add a half to the 250 ml bottles on the way round the route. I don’t worry too much about the amount of water you need to dilute it but at the same time you need to be drinking plenty water and I certainly find it easier to drink water with the tablet in it from a taste point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Yeah, that’s what’s suggested on the packet but it also says you can add two tablets to 750mls on the old packaging. That seems to have disappeared off the new packaging. Anyway, I normally add to a 750 ml bottle and sip away over a few hours but on Marathon day I half the tablets and add a half to the 250 ml bottles on the way round the route. I don’t worry too much about the amount of water you need to dilute it but at the same time you need to be drinking plenty water and I certainly find it easier to drink water with the tablet in it from a taste point of view.

Been asked and answered previously I'm sure, but where do you get the Zero tablets?
    I'm getting a bit tired of Dioralyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Been asked and answered previously I'm sure, but where do you get the Zero tablets?

Elverys, some pharmacies, some health food stores or online on the likes of wiggle or possibly Amazon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

I get mine in Wheelworx bike store on the Fonthill Rd. I'm pretty sure you can get them in healthfood shops too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

I don't have an injury or ill health but my god I am exhausted. As much down to lack of sleep as to the running. On the one hand, looking forward to holidays next week. On the other hand, am going to Portugal, currently set to be hotter than hell. Ughh. Maybe I could run in the middle of night through sprinklers on a golf course!:rolleyes: Other than that dunno how I will cope. I guess if it's too hot find a gym and run like a hamster on the treadmill. Haven't been on one in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

Busy week so far for me. Runs one and two of the week we’re done back to back on Monday and Tuesday. Went well, apart from the bunged up nose.

Today brought about something different. Myself and wife had the first baby scan today so had a short day in work. Got back early enough and decided to get the LSR in. Sound plan, particularly as I have to travel to Cork on Saturday to visit my brother and their newborn. Figured it would save the early start. Have to save it was my most difficult LSR so far. I’m putting it down to a combination of things. The first is that usually my LSRs are done early and first thing. Today saw it done after a lengthy day that started at 5am and included work and the doctors. However it wasn’t fatigue that did it. It was my stomach. Ate something that definitely didn’t agree with running and by about 6K I could feel the stomach at me. Didn’t help that my belt decided to be an utter pain (to the point I wore it as a bandolier for the second half of the run). I had intended on doing 22K (I had swapped this run for an LSR in two weeks as I’ll be taking part in the Kilcock 10 Mile). Despite mentality arguing with myself for a few klick, I eventually had to stop and call the missus to pick me up.

The lessons learned:

Be careful what you eat. Even usual food can upset running balance.

LSRs after work days probably not the smartest idea in the world.

Some food for thought for me going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I certainly wouldn't worry about this, happens me all the time, at least people are polite about it :)

Besides you aren't "racing" against anyone but yourself in something like this, there will always be someone faster and indeed slower in most cases

Plus you never know how far that person has run or will be running, could be a lot less than you

I know - but stop being so rational, when I'm having a meltdown :P
    How can you say such a thing???? I eat those things by the sleeve!!! :D

And he's supposed to one of our mentors :eek:
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    I've been runmuting for three years. Previously to the Northside and more recently to Stepaside and I cried the first time I did the Stepaside runmute, if it makes you feel any better! Stopped at a bus stop and had an old blub for myself.

I'd love a figroll right now.

(It's just a bad day. You got it done. It will, of course, stand to you. I'm feeling quite one paced myself at the moment.)

Thank you, I see your runs on strava and just see the fantastic progress, not the pain! I didn't physically cry at the time, I think my virtual melt down yesterday was not far off it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

ariana` wrote: »
    Juke i sincerely hope you ate the figrolls and felt better afterwards! Today is a new day :)

Constant pain would wreck anyone's head, i don't know how you're getting out of bed every morning never mind functioning through the day so don't be so hard on yourself, you're doing mighty.

I hate hills too :mad: The roads around me are all flat - i have to force myself to look for hills cos i know they are good for me :rolleyes: They will stand to you but slow down for them and use your arms, that can help a lot, swing your arms to power you up them. And keep reminding yourself that when DCM comes around the hills will be like little speed bumps to you ;)

And i bet most of this group feel like they have just 1 pace right now. I know i did last year. My body went to that pace automatically at the start of every run and never left it. You will run faster again i can guarantee you that, the body doesn't forget, it will need a gentle reminding after DCM but for now you are training for an endurance event and that is the main thing!

Hope today is a better day for you x

I did get my figrolls - and have even some left over for today :)

It's hard in the middle of self-doubt to be rational.
    smashiner wrote: »
    Just a quick note to say that feeling a bit overwhelmed/crappy/tired/can't do this marathon thing, is pretty normal for a lot of Novices particularly around the jump from 10-20 miles as the body starts to give out a little and a planned LSR or run may not go as well as intended.

I personally had a speed wobble on my first DCM prep when after weeks of decent progress, I went out and tried to do a 23K LSR and felt exhausted and 'I can't do this' and I almost stopped and threw in the towel on the whole thing. I took a few days off from running and skipped a shorter run, ate well for the week, had a few early nights, had vitamin C etc. and then went out and did a 25K LSR the following weekend and felt great and never looked back.

Even if you miss the odd run due to sickness/injury/busy schedules, you will be amongst the best prepared people at the start line of the DCM as plenty of people I know just rock up on the day and 'give it a go' with nowhere near the effort that you guys are putting it.

Stay positive Novices.....only a few more weeks of this madness left......you can and you will do this!! ;)

The support on here is fantastic. I'm in better form today, but lethargic and not particularly hungry. Fell asleep for 1.5 hours after work.

During my ruminations last night I remembered a particularly bad training cycle leading up to a lifting competition a few years ago. I had had a few bad training sessions and probably (:rolleyes:) had a similar meltdown in the gym. Gym-coachy made me bookmark an article 'The Rule of Five' by lifter Dan John and read it daily until I calmed down. https://www.t-nation.com/training/rule-of-five.

The tldr is for every 5 training sessions, on average 1 will go really well, 3 will be ok and the 5th will be awful. Average that over a month and a year, 1 in 5 bad days ain't so bad at all.

So, putting my big-girl pants on again, tomorrow I'll start afresh and see what happens :) Let's see what fortitude I really have.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Aoifemcc19

That's going to be tough for you playing catch up! Did you consider doing any running while you were away or was it just not an option for you?

No I ran 70km over the two weeks, just shorter runs - 3-10 milers

• Advertisement

eyrie wrote: »
    Welcome back from your holidays! Hope the LSR went well this morning too!

Question for you about the migraines if you don't mind! I used to get them and then stopped for ages, but over the last few months I've had quite a few straight after running. Are yours related to exercise do you think? And does eating/drinking beforehand help prevent them?

Sorry I'm not great at checking boards messages, so bit of a delay, need to get into the habit! Mine are defo related to eating & drinking. If I ever try to cut back on carbs to lose a few pounds the migraines catch up with me once i do tough exercise. Also dehydration a big one so I try and have something to eat before I run even if only a few spoons of porridge (tough when starting long runs at 5.50am) and then I swear by the zero tabs, I'd probably drink half a bottle driving to the pheonix park for a run. Solpadiene my saviour to get me through them even if I have to beg the chemist for it!!

eyrie wrote: »
    Welcome back from your holidays! Hope the LSR went well this morning too!

Question for you about the migraines if you don't mind! I used to get them and then stopped for ages, but over the last few months I've had quite a few straight after running. Are yours related to exercise do you think? And does eating/drinking beforehand help prevent them?
    julie2tubz wrote: »
    I was meaning to write back to these messages, about migraines. I got so many of them in June - at the start of upping my exercise. Came in middle of run or just at end.

And nothing since... until last night... when I was at my furthest point from my house - BOOM it strikes.

Such a pain. but i did nearly the whole 7 miles (5 miles paceish) boards plan. Half blind for most of it. But had to get home.

I have been nursing a swollen ankle since last week - Rested thursday to tuesday - sadly missed the LSR. But i am very wary of injuring myself. So strapped up this week and am setting off nice and steady each day. All going ok at the moment.

I truly feel I am destined to not run. migraines, swollen ankles etc... either way I will persevere!!! And i promise to stop moaning whenever I come on here. I am feeling positive nonetheless, and i have the excitement about training back... kinda... absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. :)

I have a sports massage next week. I am really looking forward to. Had one around a month ago also. Amazing!!! :) Loosened up legssss sooooo much.

Then I am off on my holidays to the alps - mountaineering in just over a week. I am very excited about that and I hope the days up high up will 1. help strengthen my legs etc and also 2. some high altitude training is practically doping :) so looking forward to my natural increase in red blood cells :)))))

So anyway thanks for listening to my ramblings. I am hopefully BACK on track.

OMG you ran on blind??? I HATE that, it's actually scary. I spend my days paranoid about not drinking enough and getting migraines!! Defo try and have electrolyte drink before or during your run!!
    Also I'm just back from the Alps and it was FABULOUS!! Was a bit allergic as we booked it for my husband to train for UTMB for a few days during it but he busted his ankle and we all just hiked mountains for the first week! Using completely different muscles and I did google on day 3 whether my pain was a stress fracture ;-) but it's all great training for the legs!! ENJOY

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mrs happyfeet

I don't suffer with migraine but a friend of mine gets them really bad and swears by an over the counter product called Excedrin. might be worth a try.
    Did a hot muggy 6 mile today. training going well. Long slow 12 mile last Sat felt really good. Got my hands on a rocknroll 1/2 entry. not even going to look at the route although I've heard bad things!! due to do 14 miles that day anyway so will use it as a training run and try stick to the pace I set for myself and try get hydration/gels right on the day in prep for October.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mrs happyfeet

at work now and all I can think of is tea and figrolls mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whiskey_sour

Have my 16mile LSR planned for tonight after work as away this weekend but had to cut my easy run short last night. My calfs/shins and feet were just so tight and cramped up! Definitely didn't feel right to run through... I iced afterwards so fingers crossed I'll be OK for later!

Have my 16mile LSR planned for tonight after work as away this weekend but had to cut my easy run short last night. My calfs/shins and feet were just so tight and cramped up! Definitely didn't feel right to run through... I iced afterwards so fingers crossed I'll be OK for later!

Have you got a foam roller?

Kellygirl wrote: »

Have you got a foam roller?

Yeah I've been on the foam roller all week, some bits around the ankle and foot are hard to get at though

Yeah I've been on the foam roller all week, some bits around the ankle and foot are hard to get at though

Using a tennis ball under the foot is great - and it’s good for the glutes too. Maybe that’d help?

Yeah I've a tennis ball hanging around the house somewhere so I'll give that a go before heading out later! Thanks Kellygirl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Aoifemcc19 wrote: »

Also I'm just back from the Alps and it was FABULOUS!! Was a bit allergic as we booked it for my husband to train for UTMB for a few days during it but he busted his ankle and we all just hiked mountains for the first week! Using completely different muscles and I did google on day 3 whether my pain was a stress fracture ;-) but it's all great training for the legs!! ENJOY

Oh wow - go your husband!! I Hiked the TMB 2 years ago... it was incredible... but the thoughts of running it. I wish him all the best.

Haha re your pain worries. It is so tough on the legs alright. Marathon training also means i havent done much hiking/hill walking in preparation - so i am defo a bit worried about the shock to the system. but VERY much looking forward to it.

Glad you enjoyed the holiday anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

juke wrote: »
    I know - but stop being so rational, when I'm having a meltdown :P

Meltdowns are perfectly acceptable around here I reckon, we are all in this together

If it helps I can share my day yesterday when I think I would have been better staying in bed, even if it was nowhere near as bad as your day

I woke up exhausted (I think we all are) so didn't go for my run deciding I would run home from work

Big mistake

The heat was oppressive and the homeward journey is somewhat uphill plus the gear bag on my back was unbalanced so I couldn't settle into a rythm
    It was really tough going and every minute felt like a battle

Then half way through the Park I inhaled a fly and nearly coughed up lung as I could feel the fecker struggling to escape
    Shortly after and for the next couple of kilometers I got attacked by a swarm of flies who seemed to be one some kind of kamakazi revenge mission for their fallen comrade

It was sweaty, sweltering, suffering and another S word that I won't utter in polite company

Then we had to go and traipse around IKEA to buy wardrobes which we will be assembling over the weekend

But hey, it is done now and we keep plodding forward, whether that be slowly or at pace, we will all reach the same destination at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Did my 29kmer yesterday evening. Went well, longest distance to date, and pace was relatively comfortable throughout. BUT totally undercooked my hydration strategy.

Usually run in morning times and have never needed much/any water on my runs. Brought a small bottle of water with me and drank it throughout the run. Noticed my face covered in salt after the run, and loaded up with a sports drink and some chocolate milk and drove home.
    By the time I got there I was feeling totally crap. Weak, hot, shivery stomach in bits...classic signs.

Feeling better today, amazing powers of dioralyte helped, but it's a lesson learned about my hydration needs. Had drank plenty during the day and do so every day, so this caught me a bit by surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Meltdowns are perfectly acceptable around here I reckon, we are all in this together

If it helps I can share my day yesterday when I think I would have been better staying in bed, even if it was nowhere near as bad as your day

I woke up exhausted (I think we all are) so didn't go for my run deciding I would run home from work

Big mistake

The heat was oppressive and the homeward journey is somewhat uphill plus the gear bag on my back was unbalanced so I couldn't settle into a rythm

Then half way through the Park I inhaled a fly and nearly coughed up lung as I could feel the fecker struggling to escape
    Shortly after and for the next couple of kilometers I got attacked by a swarm of flies who seemed to be one some kind of kamakazi revenge mission for their fallen comrade

It was sweaty, sweltering, suffering and another S word that I won't utter in polite company

Then we had to go and traipse around IKEA to buy wardrobes which we will be assembling over the weekend

But hey, it is done now and we keep plodding forward, whether that be slowly or at pace, we will all reach the same destination at the end

You tell a great story! Yesterday was disgustingly humid.

But, didn't you hear, IKEA furniture building is banned during marathon training :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Big mistake

Wait, after going through all that, you then went to IKEA???? Are you mad?

I would rather run a marathon backwards on hot coals while blindfolded than setting another foot inside that place. Hell on earth I tell you.

As for flies, they've never ended up in my mouth, but any time I do come into contact with one, it always somehow ends up lodged somewhere in my eyeball. :rolleyes:

Sounds like you had a tough run home but like you said, it's another one ticked off and hopefully come October, you'll look back on all of this and say "it was worth every second".

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

I'm absolutely dreading the 16 miler tomorrow morning. I've been exhausted all week, but for some reason every little noise is waking me up at night :(

Can anyone help me - I used to have an app on my phone that had the Dublin marathon route installed on it. It would tell you when you had to turn, etc - but I can't find it now. I'd like to try part of the route instead of my usual hilly run, I've absolutely no sense of direction so there's no chance of me doing the route unaided :o

[QUOTE=
    Can anyone help me - I used to have an app on my phone that had the Dublin marathon route installed on it. It would tell you when you had to turn, etc - but I can't find it now. I'd like to try part of the route instead of my usual hilly run, I've absolutely no sense of direction so there's no chance of me doing the route unaided :o[/QUOTE]

The second I post this the name of the app popped back into my head - planaroute. I hope it's as good as I remember :D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

I think I also used RunGo last year

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Aye if we had planned the Ikea trip before yesterday afternoon I would definitely have gotten out of bed for the run in the morning

I don't get the Ikea hate to be honest, going midweek after work the place isn't too busy and once you know what you are going for and where it is located then you don't have to wander miles aimlessly

Not a chance I would go near the place at a weekend mind

Plus I enjoy assembling the stuff, building blocks for grown-ups

Though I might not say the same after our 16 miler on Saturday

Aye if we had planned the Ikea trip before yesterday afternoon I would definitely have gotten out of bed for the run in the morning

I don't get the Ikea hate to be honest, going midweek after work the place isn't too busy and once you know what you are going for and where it is located then you don't have to wander miles aimlessly

Not a chance I would go near the place at a weekend mind

Plus I enjoy assembling the stuff, building blocks for grown-ups

Though I might not say the same after our 16 miler on Saturday

Ikea is a treat day out for me! 7pm mid week and you've practically got the place to yourself. Worth it for their veggie hot dogs alone :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

kittyclaws wrote: »
    The second I post this the name of the app popped back into my head - planaroute. I hope it's as good as I remember :D

Thank you! This hopefully will save me getting lost on LSRs. Its happened on every one outside the park so far !

Advertisement