Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

effibear wrote: »
    Thank you! This hopefully will save me getting lost on LSRs. Its happened on every one outside the park so far !

I’ve just download the RunGo app and it seems much more user friendly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Aoifemcc19

kittyclaws wrote: »
    I'm absolutely dreading the 16 miler tomorrow morning. I've been exhausted all week, but for some reason every little noise is waking me up at night :(

:o

The very best of luck, it honestly isn't as bad as you think. I was dreading it too. We break it up into sections of when we can have a little picnic treat, so 9km and a few bites of a bounty etc etc. It's the little things ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Misky

As AoifeMc said the 16 miles wasn't as bad as expected and our sweet treats got us through it, however I was utterly exhausted for the rest of the day. Not sure I am getting the hydration/fuel right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Meltdowns are perfectly acceptable around here I reckon, we are all in this together

If it helps I can share my day yesterday when I think I would have been better staying in bed, even if it was nowhere near as bad as your day

I woke up exhausted (I think we all are) so didn't go for my run deciding I would run home from work

Big mistake

The heat was oppressive and the homeward journey is somewhat uphill plus the gear bag on my back was unbalanced so I couldn't settle into a rythm
    It was really tough going and every minute felt like a battle

Then half way through the Park I inhaled a fly and nearly coughed up lung as I could feel the fecker struggling to escape
    Shortly after and for the next couple of kilometers I got attacked by a swarm of flies who seemed to be one some kind of kamakazi revenge mission for their fallen comrade

It was sweaty, sweltering, suffering and another S word that I won't utter in polite company

Then we had to go and traipse around IKEA to buy wardrobes which we will be assembling over the weekend

But hey, it is done now and we keep plodding forward, whether that be slowly or at pace, we will all reach the same destination at the end

As others said, IKEA, after that, I think a gin would have been more appropriate :eek:

As to the bug....I suppose, protein?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whiskey_sour

A non runner for me this evening I'm afraid with this calf/shin pain. Tried a couple of miles but am limping home now. Pretty disappointed as last week went so well. Hopefully I'm OK for the half marathon next week, after that I might drop back to one of the Hal Higdon plans...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

A non runner for me this evening I'm afraid with this calf/shin pain. Tried a couple of miles but am limping home now. Pretty disappointed as last week went so well. Hopefully I'm OK for the half marathon next week, after that I might drop back to one of the Hal Higdon plans...

Sorry to hear that. Can you book a physio session?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whiskey_sour

Kellygirl wrote: »

Sorry to hear that. Can you book a physio session?

Thanks Kellygirl, yeah I'll see if I can get an appointment for Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Back after a couple weeks holidays myself with not a lot of miles run! Looking forward to getting stuck into a more structured timetable now from Monday. Going to sit down with it over the weekend and possibly tweak the club plan where possible i.e. get at least one tempo run in the week, as well as 1 session, surrounded by plenty of easy, slow miles.
    Am running the rock n roll half marathon next weekend, but certainly not feeling in the shape I was for Mullingar in March, so I'm thinking I'll attempt it at 9min mile and see how it goes. Hoping for a nice day out at least, enjoyed the event last year.
    Well done to everyone on the mileage done so far, the positivity on the thread is truly contagious!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

16 mile lsr in the bag- absolutely delighted. Feel tired but no niggles...yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »

Same here. I'm shattered but slowly recovering. My route was way too hilly, so I'll try and plot somewhat flatter routes in future. Last 2.5 miles were some struggle.

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Same here. I'm shattered but slowly recovering. My route was way too hilly, so I'll try and plot somewhat flatter routes in future. Last 2.5 miles were some struggle.

Well done. Yeah I got to 14.5m and only reason I kept running was cause I’d no bus fare! It’s great to be hitting new mileage records the last few weeks.

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »

Well done, both.

I managed 24.1k (15miles) before I conceded defeat (tight hamstring). Still my furthest distance ever, looking forward to food now.

16 miles done early this morning on the marathon route. It felt strange to put suntan lotion on when it was dark - but I was glad I did, it got very sunny towards the end.
    Everything went well, but I was tired from 13 miles on, I hope in 11 weeks time I’ll still be fresh and flying at that point :D
    I took 2 clif gel blocs @mile 8 and 13 - but next time I need to bring food that doesn’t melt - my mini mars bar practically disappeared before I got to eat it, I’m thinking flapjacks next time. I
    was absolutely starving again so I had a McDonalds brekkie at the end, it was like something from heaven!
    (Stupidly wore a new sports bra for its first outing - not clever, I’ll spare you the chafing details :S )

Did I mention I won a pair of runners in a Rock & Roll half marathon competition? On Cloudflow, I had a pair of cloudrunners before, they feel different to run in but I quite like them. Delighted with myself! :D

(Stupidly wore a new sports bra for its first outing - not clever, I’ll spare you the chafing details :S )

Ouch! I've taken to using ultra balm nearly as much as sun cream!

Well done on all the 16 (and almost 16) miles :D

I have a question for the experts - its a long rambling one so bear with me!!

I feel like we (myself & Caroline) have only one speed at the moment - SLOW!!! Which is fine I'm actually liking the slow and getting to the end of all these mad long runs which I never expected to be able to do! But I'm struggling to know what my pace for the marathon should be!

When hubby signed me up I was aiming for a 4.59hour marathon (never having done more than one half at the start of this year, it took me 2.06), then I revised it to a 4.40 marathon which is a pace of 6.40 a km. All our long runs before the 16 miles this week have been at 6.45ish and we keep trying to pull the speed back during them but then go on auto pilot. We managed an average this week of 6.50 a km (that could have been the post holiday sluggishness too). But for pace work at marathon pace of 6.40 a km really isn't much of a difference from our long slow runs. We did the boards pace homework Thursday and started with an aim of 6.30kms as 6.40 wasn't different enough from our LSR but we ended up getting faster and did quite a few kms at 6.15ish. My questions is probably should we just stick with 6.40 a km for our pace work and slow the LSR down significantly?? My hubby giving out that I'm over thinking it all too much.

If you tell me to revise the 4.40 hour marathon downwards it might result in a rant which will involve
    I hate running
    I hate uphill running
    I hate fig rolls (Ha Ha Ha :rolleyes:)

I'm not an expert, but I would ask if you have any 10 mile / half marathon races planned in the next couple months? That will give you a great idea of what your training paces are recommended at using that McMillan calculator.
    If the LSR pace does feel really slow and easy then that seems about right for that run. Maybe its getting used to hitting a slightly harder pace for sessions and tempo runs is more the issue?

16 miles done early this morning on the marathon route. It felt strange to put suntan lotion on when it was dark - but I was glad I did, it got very sunny towards the end.
    Everything went well, but I was tired from 13 miles on, I hope in 11 weeks time I’ll still be fresh and flying at that point :D
    I took 2 clif gel blocs @mile 8 and 13 - but next time I need to bring food that doesn’t melt - my mini mars bar practically disappeared before I got to eat it, I’m thinking flapjacks next time. I
    was absolutely starving again so I had a McDonalds brekkie at the end, it was like something from heaven!

Did I mention I won a pair of runners in a Rock & Roll half marathon competition? On Cloudflow, I had a pair of cloudrunners before, they feel different to run in but I quite like them. Delighted with myself! :D

What was the doing the marathon route like??? We keep saying we have to do some of it and then we stay nice and safe on the roads we know well in the Pheonix Park :rolleyes:

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I'm not an expert, but I would ask if you have any 10 mile / half marathon races planned in the next couple months? That will give you a great idea of what your training paces are recommended at using that McMillan calculator.
    If the LSR pace does feel really slow and easy then that seems about right for that run. Maybe its getting used to hitting a slightly harder pace for sessions and tempo runs is more the issue?
    I've signed up to Rathoath half but I was only going to do it as a training run, terrified of getting injured before DCM!! Have a constant calf issue that I mind through regular rub downs with a sports therapist!! Maybe I should think about a bit of pace for it!! :confused:

Aoifemcc19 wrote:
    I've signed up to Rathoath half but I was only going to do it as a training run, terrified of getting injured before DCM!! Have a constant calf issue that I mind through regular rub downs with a sports therapist!! Maybe I should think about a bit of pace for it!!

I'd be inclined to race that (by race I mean run hard ðŸ˜) provided it's not too close to DCM of course! In my extensive one marathon experience (haha) I did race one half at an attacking pace and honestly it was the best prep for me personally. Really gave me an idea of where I was at, as well as being a confidence booster. Allowed me to really consider the marathon pace goal too. Like, even now for DCM I'm not considering my goal time or pace at all, until I know more of where I'm at after 10 mile race in September.

Again that's my own preferred approach. Right or wrong? Who bloody knows!

I should have shares in bodyglide I wear it so much. Brilliant to save on chafing.
    Aoifemcc19 wrote: »
    Well done on all the 16 (and almost 16) miles :D

I have a question for the experts - its a long rambling one so bear with me!!

I feel like we (myself & Caroline) have only one speed at the moment - SLOW!!! Which is fine I'm actually liking the slow and getting to the end of all these mad long runs which I never expected to be able to do! But I'm struggling to know what my pace for the marathon should be!

When hubby signed me up I was aiming for a 4.59hour marathon (never having done more than one half at the start of this year, it took me 2.06), then I revised it to a 4.40 marathon which is a pace of 6.40 a km. All our long runs before the 16 miles this week have been at 6.45ish and we keep trying to pull the speed back during them but then go on auto pilot. We managed an average this week of 6.50 a km (that could have been the post holiday sluggishness too). But for pace work at marathon pace of 6.40 a km really isn't much of a difference from our long slow runs. We did the boards pace homework Thursday and started with an aim of 6.30kms as 6.40 wasn't different enough from our LSR but we ended up getting faster and did quite a few kms at 6.15ish. My questions is probably should we just stick with 6.40 a km for our pace work and slow the LSR down significantly?? My hubby giving out that I'm over thinking it all too much.

If you tell me to revise the 4.40 hour marathon downwards it might result in a rant which will involve
    I hate running
    I hate uphill running
    I hate fig rolls (Ha Ha Ha :rolleyes:)

Ok, so based on your 2:06 HM (pace 5:58), McMillan says you’d do a full marathon in 4:25:10 and at a pace of 6:17. That’s based on your current fitness. We all know McMillan is optimistic though as distance increase so 4:30/4:40 may be more accurate alright (pace 6:38) but you won’t know that until closer to the time really.

If you train to your current fitness you could do the pace work at 6:17 I think and see how you get on.

Happy to stand corrected if Ariana or SkyBlue think otherwise.

• Advertisement

I've signed up to Rathoath half but I was only going to do it as a training run, terrified of getting injured before DCM!! Have a constant calf issue that I mind through regular rub downs with a sports therapist!! Maybe I should think about a bit of pace for it!! :confused:

When is it? Maybe we can judge closer to the time what pace to run it at.

It's 8th Sept. Like your advice!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I'm considering that one too!

Well done on both the new runners and the mileage....I’ll maintain radio silence on the chafing.

What’s it like running part of the route? I’ll be running some if it later in my plan.

It's 8th Sept. Like your advice!!! :D

Hopefully the others will agree with it!

Yeah, wait and see how you are feeling and you could do it at MP rather than an all out race perhaps but as you said yourself DCM is priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Strava says that my 26km run this morning burned 2958 calories.

Knowing that, how can I not justify sitting on my ass for the rest of the day and eating approximately every half hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

Hey Folks.
    First time posting here since we started. I decided to go with the boards plan and hoped to go sub 3.45. All was going well. Followed the plan religiously for the first 5 weeks. That was until last Saturday when i did my 10k race. Went as hard as i could and left it all on the road. Was very dissapointed with the time. I improved about a minute from a race i did last april which was on a tougher route and straight after a night shift. Thought after 3 months training, with 5 weeks of that being the plan i would have seen more of an improvement. I know its not a 10k im training for and i shouldnt let it get to me. I ended up throwing the runners in the corner for the last week. Just no motivation to go out running. I kept telling myself i would go back on the plan tomorrow and then the next day and the next day. I was working nights all week as well so was kind of using that as an excuse also. A week doesnt long passing you by. I gave myself a kick up the rear this morning and laced up the runners. Didnt even look at what was on the plan. Just set out to do 5k the way i used to. Really enjoyed it and am buzzing since i came back. Actually did a pb on one of the segments and didnt feel i was going that hard. I suppose its easier to set yourself up for a fall when you set out targets and goals and dont end up achieving them. Thats probably the one downside for me of following a plan. If i miss a run or dont nail the time or pace i end up throwing the baby out with the bathwater. This used to never happen before because i went out to run and that was that. No time. No pace. No distance so every run was success. Anywaz. Feeling much more positive today and looking forward to getting week 7 started.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Evening all

16 miler done this morning
    The last 2K were rough but then the last 2K last week was tough and this was further so it is all good

2 large wardrobe carcass's assembled this afternoon, has me fecking wrecked

also got roared at by a randommer in a van to "Run Faster", I was on Kilometer 25 at the time so I was just happy to still be moving at that stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Evening all

16 miler done this morning
    The last 2K were rough but then the last 2K last week was tough and this was further so it is all good

2 large wardrobe carcass's assembled this afternoon, has me fecking wrecked

also got roared at by a randommer in a van to "Run Faster", I was on Kilometer 25 at the time so I was just happy to still be moving at that stage :)

Nice one!

And well done on being an IKEA 'survivor' :D

• Advertisement

What was the doing the marathon route like??? We keep saying we have to do some of it and then we stay nice and safe on the roads we know well in the Pheonix Park :rolleyes:

I enjoyed it - I’d been dreading it all week! We started at the end of the Cromwell’s fort road so around mile 14 of the race. Heartbreak hill was fine, but it was only mile 4 for us, it’ll probably be a bit harder when it’s mile 18!
    We turned just before the finish line at Mount Street and followed the canal back to Dolphins barn where we rejoined the marathon route - then followed it back to our starting point.
    I’m the opposite of you, I’ve completely avoided the Phoenix Park so far - I’ll try include it in the 18 mile run in 2 weeks time :)

Advertisement