Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Aoifemcc19 wrote: »
    Well done on all the 16 (and almost 16) miles :D

I have a question for the experts - its a long rambling one so bear with me!!

I feel like we (myself & Caroline) have only one speed at the moment - SLOW!!! Which is fine I'm actually liking the slow and getting to the end of all these mad long runs which I never expected to be able to do! But I'm struggling to know what my pace for the marathon should be!

When hubby signed me up I was aiming for a 4.59hour marathon (never having done more than one half at the start of this year, it took me 2.06), then I revised it to a 4.40 marathon which is a pace of 6.40 a km. All our long runs before the 16 miles this week have been at 6.45ish and we keep trying to pull the speed back during them but then go on auto pilot. We managed an average this week of 6.50 a km (that could have been the post holiday sluggishness too). But for pace work at marathon pace of 6.40 a km really isn't much of a difference from our long slow runs. We did the boards pace homework Thursday and started with an aim of 6.30kms as 6.40 wasn't different enough from our LSR but we ended up getting faster and did quite a few kms at 6.15ish. My questions is probably should we just stick with 6.40 a km for our pace work and slow the LSR down significantly?? My hubby giving out that I'm over thinking it all too much.

If you tell me to revise the 4.40 hour marathon downwards it might result in a rant which will involve
    I hate running
    I hate uphill running
    I hate fig rolls (Ha Ha Ha :rolleyes:)

I had a quick read of most of the replies to this and I agree with pretty much all the advice you have received. I just want to point out something about the SLOW pace. You are presently running about 5/6 miles at MP, only a fraction of a marathon. Think of running a fast 5k at even splits. The first K will be quite comfortable and holding the same pace becomes progressively more difficult. It's the same for the marathon. A 'slow' pace will gradually feel harder to maintain and by the end you'll feel like you are pushing hard. That of course assumes your initial target pace is appropriate to your ability.

I agree to train to your most recent result. It's far too early to set your target time for DCM. The idea of racing the Ratoath half to the best of your ability is definitely the right thing to do. It's far enough out from DCM to be too precious about it. With a 2:06 in the bag before your current impressive training I see no reason not to target 2hours and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Aoifemcc19

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I had a quick read of most of the replies to this and I agree with pretty much all the advice you have received. I just want to point out something about the SLOW pace. You are presently running about 5/6 miles at MP, only a fraction of a marathon. Think of running a fast 5k at even splits. The first K will be quite comfortable and holding the same pace becomes progressively more difficult. It's the same for the marathon. A 'slow' pace will gradually feel harder to maintain and by the end you'll feel like you are pushing hard. That of course assumes your initial target pace is appropriate to your ability.

I agree to train to your most recent result. It's far too early to set your target time for DCM. The idea of racing the Ratoath half to the best of your ability is definitely the right thing to do. It's far enough out from DCM to be too precious about it. With a 2:06 in the bag before your current impressive training I see no reason not to target 2hours and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the advice!! Gulping the gin at the thoughts of doing a 2 hour half marathon!! Ok will see how next few weeks of training go!! If all well I might brave it and give it a lash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Thanks for all the advice!! Gulping the gin at the thoughts of doing a 2 hour half marathon!! Ok will see how next few weeks of training go!! If all well I might brave it and give it a lash

Everyone has more than one speed.

When people start running, they fixate on how far they can run, what they can complete - it's a natural way to track progress. And when you are trying to run further, of course you want to keep to a steady pace. Running faster is difficult and complicated and easy to write off as something other people do.

But it's something everyone can do and everyone should do. (And not just half marathons either - intervals!)

RayCun wrote: »
    Everyone has more than one speed.

When people start running, they fixate on how far they can run, what they can complete - it's a natural way to track progress. And when you are trying to run further, of course you want to keep to a steady pace. Running faster is difficult and complicated and easy to write off as something other people do.

But it's something everyone can do and everyone should do. (And not just half marathons either - intervals!)

Before anyone gets the wrong idea we will be continuing to only offer advice on the two plans. :pac: Anyone who wants a personal training plan including intervals please contact Raycun, c/o Boards, PO Box 35959

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Strava says that my 26km run this morning burned 2958 calories.

Knowing that, how can I not justify sitting on my ass for the rest of the day and eating approximately every half hour?

An hour after my LSR my watch beeped telling me to "Move!"
    Go away to hell watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Aoifemcc i agree with the advice you've gotten too. I think most people training for their first marathon feel they only have one pace - of course you don't but it definitely feels that way, right! Intervals and speed work can come in subsequent marathon cycles where you are better trained and able for the distance, for most novices the mileage you are putting in is enough to tax the body to his limits.

Your times are not too dissimilar to mine last year. My story is well documented already but i had been targeting 4:20 ish in training and in the end due to injury i targeted 4:40 and came in well under that and had an amazing first marathon experience! In hindsight in a round about way i was glad that the injury forced me into a more conservative goal. I suppose what i am trying to say is that there is nothing wrong with not running the best possible time that you are capable of (gasp shock horror i know :pac:) but it's just a thought that i think all first timers should give some thought to :cool:

RayCun who has been a very regular contributor here posted this is another thread and i think he puts it nicely - better than i can anyhow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

ariana` wrote: »
    I suppose what i am trying to say is that there is nothing wrong with not running the best possible time that you are capable of (gasp shock horror i know :pac:) but it's just a thought that i think all first timers should give some thought to :cool:

I am slowly coming around to this way of thinking. After today's run, I've been having a serious rethink about the goal I had set for myself.
    I've come this far, I'm certainly not going to jeopardise my marathon experience by being overly ambitious on race day.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Aoifemcc19

Aoifemcc i agree with the advice you've gotten too. I think most people training for their first marathon feel they only have one pace - of course you don't but it definitely feels that way, right! Intervals and speed work can come in subsequent marathon cycles where you are better trained and able for the distance, for most novices the mileage you are putting in is enough to tax the body to his limits.

Your times are not too dissimilar to mine last year. My story is well documented already but i had been targeting 4:20 ish in training and in the end due to injury i targeted 4:40 and came in well under that and had an amazing first marathon experience! In hindsight in a round about way i was glad that the injury forced me into a more conservative goal. I suppose what i am trying to say is that there is nothing wrong with not running the best possible time that you are capable of (gasp shock horror i know :pac:) but it's just a thought that i think all first timers should give some thought to :cool:

RayCun who has been a very regular contributor here posted this is another thread and i think he puts it nicely - better than i can anyhow ;)

Fab this is exactly what I wanted to hear, I would love to finish the DCM not dead and feel like I could do another one and better my time!! Although I did go into this as a once off ;-)
    I just was getting all confused with lack of difference between pace work & MP!! I would way rather be ultra conservative and enjoy the big day!! So maybe I stick with 4.40 planned marathon time for now and just hit the 6.17/20 times suggested for pace work if I can!! Leaving the comfort of Phoenix Park for next few weeks for beaches of Wexford which will slow me right down anyway. Thanks guys really appreciate all the input

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Go away to hell watch.

This always annoys me too! Its telling me I’ve 250% of my “steps” for the day done, think that earns the right to put the feet up.. for a smart watch, it’s not too clever

Fab this is exactly what I wanted to hear, I would love to finish the DCM not dead and feel like I could do another one and better my time!!

That's the exact thought that went through my head earlier this morning as I was out running.

I would hate to think of this as my only marathon so why go nuts for the first marathon experience? It would make so much more sense and would be way more satisfying if (touch wood) I did get to run at least another marathon, and I managed to better my time from the first attempt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Strava says that my 26km run this morning burned 2958 calories.

Knowing that, how can I not justify sitting on my ass for the rest of the day and eating approximately every half hour?

Strava told me I "only" burned under 1700 calories for mine. No fair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

This always annoys me too! Its telling me I’ve 250% of my “steps” for the day done, think that earns the right to put the feet up.. for a smart watch, it’s not too clever

I just disable the move alert. Not going to let that bossy watch tell me what to do after I have done a long run! I have a wife for that!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Go away to hell watch.

Ha! Remember that happening me while sitting having post marathon pints in McGrattans.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Important lesson learned today. Do not plan an LSR two days after the Galway races and 12 hrs in high heels..... OUCH! Got through it but the feet definitely ain't talking to me at the moment.

Week 7 of DCM training looks like this

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun
    NNH1|rest|3m easy|6m easy|3m easy|rest|12m lsr|cross
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|5m easy|1m w/u + 5m pace + 1m c/d|3m rec|rest,cross or 3m rec|14m lsr|rest,cross or 3m rec

The next 3 weeks are big weeks for the NNH1 followers with the first of 3 increases in the long run happening this week - if you're not already doing it then now is a good time to start getting as much rest/sleep as you can and eat well! Plenty of foam rolling, stretching and the good ole epsom salt baths if you are feeling a bit achy after these long runs.

The Boards group have a step back week this week, enjoy this, you’ve a couple of big runs under your belt now, well done!

A lot of you will now be running distances you’ve never run before and that’s a great buzz which will hopefully spur you on towards the end of these runs as they get tough. Try also to remember why you signed up for DCM! A tactic i used last year to motivate me was to imagine how I’d feel crossing the finish line at the end of October (which I won't deny usually brought me to tears)!!

Best of luck novices, have a great week all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

I've missed the last 2.5 weeks because of a sore knee.

Felt good this week so did 2 very easy runs and decided to go for the LSR run this morning. I felt great. Longest I've ever ran.

Turns out I can't read a calender so I did the LSR for next week! At least now I know I can run 12 miles...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

Long run today for me, found it much tougher than the 15 mile. It felt pretty humid out. Brought a drink, but ran out about 11 miles in. I was very thirsty at this point. Turns out not many shops open in the merrion square area on a Sunday morning so was nearly another 2 miles before I got one. Stopping at that stage wasn’t great, very tired legs but completed the 16.

I covered the last 12 miles of the marathon route as part of the run, nice to get familiar with it but it’s definitely more enjoyable running in the park!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Only 2 runs for me this week as I've been so tired and busy. Hopefully won't happen again but will count it as my (large) step back week of the boards plan.

Week 7 of DCM training looks like this

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun
    NNH1|rest|3m easy|6m easy|3m easy|rest|12m lsr|cross
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|5m easy|1m w/u + 5m pace + 1m c/d|3m rec|rest,cross or 3m rec|14m lsr|rest,cross or 3m rec

The next 3 weeks are big weeks for the NNH1 followers with the first of 3 increases in the long run happening this week - if you're not already doing it then now is a good time to start getting as much rest/sleep as you can and eat well! Plenty of foam rolling, stretching and the good ole epsom salt baths if you are feeling a bit achy after these long runs.

The Boards group have a step back week this week, enjoy this, you’ve a couple of big runs under your belt now, well done!

A lot of you will now be running distances you’ve never run before and that’s a great buzz which will hopefully spur you on towards the end of these runs as they get tough. Try also to remember why you signed up for DCM! A tactic i used last year to motivate me was to imagine how I’d feel crossing the finish line at the end of October (which I won't deny usually brought me to tears)!!

Best of luck novices, have a great week all :)

Thanks Ariana, jetting off tomorrow so I will do my best to stay in touch over the next 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Just looking ahead to my next few LSR's and half marathon in a few weeks.

The Boards plan has the following:
    Wk 7 - 14 mile LSR
    Wk 8 - 16 mile LSR
    Wk 9 - 18 mile LSR (I'll be doing the half marathon instead)
    Wk 10 - FD 10 mile (I won't be doing this)
    Wk 11 - 20 mile LSR
    Wk 12 - 16 mile LSR
    Wk 13 - DC HM (I won't be doing this)
    Wk 14 - 20 mile LSR

So, I'm just wondering if I should adjust any of the LSR's around the HM? I plan to race it as best I can. Should I do the 18 miler I'll miss in week 9 the following week in place of the FD 10 mile? And what should I be looking to do in week 13?

• Advertisement

Just looking ahead to my next few LSR's and half marathon in a few weeks.

The Boards plan has the following:
    Wk 7 - 14 mile LSR
    Wk 8 - 16 mile LSR
    Wk 9 - 18 mile LSR (I'll be doing the half marathon instead)
    Wk 10 - FD 10 mile (I won't be doing this)
    Wk 11 - 20 mile LSR
    Wk 12 - 16 mile LSR
    Wk 13 - DC HM (I won't be doing this)
    Wk 14 - 20 mile LSR

So, I'm just wondering if I should adjust any of the LSR's around the HM? I plan to race it as best I can. Should I do the 18 miler I'll miss in week 9 the following week in place of the FD 10 mile? And what should I be looking to do in week 13?

You're looking too far ahead. :pac: As with the first race series event, the South Dublin 10k, we will post 2 schedules in the week preceding it...one for those participating and one for those who aren't. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

how are you all following the marathon route?
    just by reviewing the map before and remembering which turns to take? would like to follow some of it in my training, it'd be handy if there was a way you could do it on google maps or something.

how are you all following the marathon route?
    just by reviewing the map before and remembering which turns to take? would like to follow some of it in my training, it'd be handy if there was a way you could do it on google maps or something.

The RunGo app has the full DCM route on it. It's map and voice guided. There are also some sections of the route mapped out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

Was in Dun Laoighaire today for the 10K, which was my first 'hard' effort since before training began. While it wasn't a personal best, I'm delighted with the effort. I knew there was a scant chance of a PB given the elevation of the course. But I came in under 49 minutes, so only a little over two minutes off my best. That had me happy. I wasn't sure what way I was going to approach it. As has been noted, I haven't felt 100% for a few weeks now and even during the run today, the stomach didn't sit right for the first few klicks until I got into a rhythm.

Today also provided the opportunity to overcome a little bit of mental blockage. Prior to this, I would always have thrown in a couple of fast runs prior to up an coming race and going close to the distance. I'd mentally know I was capable of doing it as I got closer. This of course was a different kettle of fish today as I have stuck to the plan of not pushing hard on runs. So I did question myself in the pen whether I could get stuck in after six weeks of taking it an easier pace.

So back to the plan for the rest of the week. I have a pair of 6.5K runs left in the midweek - which is the next stage of the step-up in the plan - and of course the 24K at the weekend which will definitely have me in uncharted territory distance wise. The plan is to hit those two back-to-back on Wednesday and Thursday to have me all set up for that Saturday long-haul run.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Clibee

Hi everyone, hope you are all getting on well with training.
    Going to treat myself to a watch , was thinking a Garmin forerunner 235? I see it for 220 Euro . Would ye recommend ? Or any other recommendations.

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Clibee wrote: »
    Hi everyone, hope you are all getting on well with training.
    Going to treat myself to a watch , was thinking a Garmin forerunner 235? I see it for 220 Euro . Would ye recommend ? Or any other recommendations.

Thanks a mill

That’s a highly recommended watch, no doubt about it. Definitely shop around. Amazon regularly do deals where you’ll get it for under €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Alorra

Kellygirl wrote: »
    That’s a highly recommended watch, no doubt about it. Definitely shop around. Amazon regularly do deals where you’ll get it for under €200.
    I have the 235, (feels like I am talking about a tractor��) find it great. It syncs wirelessly with the apps etc. So all very easy, and loads of graphs for that geek in you��

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Is the boards plan not 4m, 7m and 4m mid week this week?

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »

Well spotted. For picking up on this intentional faux pas you win a pint of fizzy in McGrattans after DCM. It will be ordered for you at 13.40 hours and taken away 10 minutes later if unclaimed :-)

• Advertisement

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »

Yes indeed my bad :o
    4m easy + 7m (1m w/u + 5m pace + 1m c/d) + 4m easy
    Just as well someone is keeping tabs on me :pac:
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Well spotted. For picking up on this intentional faux pas you win a pint of fizzy in McGrattans after DCM. It will be ordered for you at 13.40 hours and taken away 10 minutes later if unclaimed :-)

:pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement