Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Last week's training went completely to plan - no calf or hip pain and I've done my highest milage to date at just over 40 miles for the week :D
    (It's sad how much satisfaction I get crossing the runs off my spread sheet!)
    I have been quite tired tho, it's getting harder to get out of bed in the morning. I have let my diet drop off a bit, there was more than one take away ordered last week so this week I've done a meal plan - I just need to stick to it!

I'm doing the Rock & Roll half marathon this weekend.
    I've been advised not to race it as it's not a PB course, so my other options are to either do it as a LSR or at PMP.
    If I do it as an LSR I could go out with the 2.30 pacers, but PMP would mean pacing myself to come in at 2:21.
    Any advice would be very gladly taken on board :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

kittyclaws wrote: »
    Last week's training went completely to plan - no calf or hip pain and I've done my highest milage to date at just over 40 miles for the week :D
    I have been quite tired tho, it's getting harder to get out of bed in the morning. I have let my diet drop off a bit, there was more than one take away ordered last week so this week I've done a meal plan - I just need to stick to it!

I've been advised not to race it as it's not a PB course, so my other options are to either do it as a LSR or at PMP.
    If I do it as an LSR I could go out with the 2.30 pacers, but PMP would mean pacing myself to come in at 2:21.
    Any advice would be very gladly taken on board :)
    A kitty has nine lives so if I was you I'd use up one of them and give it a go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I've been a bit of an absentee here of late, due to moving house, but the majority of the work is done now, thankfully. (Had a completely hectic week which has me wrecked but still managed to fit in the pace run and the LSR, which I was delighted with).

One thing I had to laugh at was during the 16m, I found myself genuinely thinking "only an hour left to go". Had to have a smile when I realised what I was saying to motivate myself! :pac:

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Well spotted. For picking up on this intentional faux pas you win a pint of fizzy in McGrattans after DCM. It will be ordered for you at 13.40 hours and taken away 10 minutes later if unclaimed :-)

And I've just noticed that one of the plans seems to be called the Nal Nigdon Hovice 1 Plan! ;)

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun
    NNH1|rest|3m easy|6m easy|3m easy|rest|12m lsr|cross
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|5m easy|1m w/u + 5m pace + 1m c/d|3m rec|rest,cross or 3m rec|14m lsr|rest,cross or 3m rec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Any advice would be very gladly taken on board
    :)

Do you think you might like to run DCM with a pace group? It could also be seen as an opportunity to practice how that might work for you or not!

Also, it could be a good time to practice fueling on the run (have you thought of carrying any fuel, maybe gel/chews?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You could do the first half with the pacers, push on after the worst of the hills

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Rossi7 wrote: »
    A kitty has nine lives so if I was you I'd use up one of them and give it a go.

I've already used 8 of them to get this far :D
    ariana` wrote: »
    Do you think you might like to run DCM with a pace group? It could also be seen as an opportunity to practice how that might work for you or not!
    Also, it could be a good time to practice fueling on the run (have you thought of carrying any fuel, maybe gel/chews?).

I am planning on running with the 4:50 pacers in the marathon and I haven't run with pacers before - so this is probably my last chance to see how it goes. I've a new running belt to try out too :)
    RayCun wrote: »
    You could do the first half with the pacers, push on after the worst of the hills

Good plan - I'll try this, I'd be surprised if I've anything left in the tank after those hills :D

Thanks everyone :D x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

first timer here in 2018-
    anyone know roughly what miles the worst of the hills are finished at?

http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/SSE-AT-DM18-ROUTE-MAP.pdf

am returning from injury so catching up with training plan this week, hope to follow it as much as possible - going to jump back in and do the long runs as much as I can (did a LSR of 16k yesterday to get back used to it, having only ran around 20k in total in the week before)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/SSE-AT-DM18-ROUTE-MAP.pdf

am returning from injury so catching up with training plan this week, hope to follow it as much as possible - going to jump back in and do the long runs as much as I can (did a LSR of 16k yesterday to get back used to it, having only ran around 20k in total in the week before)

You've a long drag from miles 2 to mile 7, up through the park and peaking after Castleknock (this is the highest part of the course).
    You've another short hill at about 10.5 miles, going under the flyover.
    Then from mile 21 to nearly 23 are a sequence of uphills culminating at the turn at Roebuck Road.

Apart from that its all easy!!!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

Roebuck Road or 36km is the last uphill, I think its called Heartbreak Hill. The highest part of the course is Castleknock at about 11km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Heartbreak hill isn't anything to worry about at all, its the drag up Clonskeagh before it that does the real damage. :)

A question, is there any advantage to training yourself to complete the runs without any gels/foods? Does taking them train your body to rely on them?

If I can physically do the runs without them should I do that, or is there no disadvantage to taking them and should always do so if the option is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Heartbreak hill isn't anything to worry about at all, its the drag up Clonskeagh before it that does the real damage. :)

A question, is there any advantage to training yourself to complete the runs without any gels/foods? Does taking them train your body to rely on them?

If I can physically do the runs without them should I do that, or is there no disadvantage to taking them and should always do so if the option is there?

Great question.
    Ive been struggling with fueling on my lsr's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I’ve read up on this a few times and still don’t have the answer as have read that it’s good to train with gels and not completely drain your body of energy as you need to keep training and not take recovery time as such and I’ve also read it’s good to train without them and teach your body to burn fat.

My own view to be honest is to take them if you need them. I’ve always trained with gels and over the last couple of years I’ve tried to take less and less in training. I don’t believe it’s made a difference to race day for me that I’ve taken them training. I think it would take a lot longer than one training cycle to train your body to run by burning fat. This is purely my own opinion. (It also means I have no issues with them on race day as well used to them)

Edited to say that if you can do your runs without them then I prob would but remember to practice taking them at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Just looking at these tonight. My watch didn't charge last nite and died 3km in this evening. Seems to have gotten loose on the charger so currently have a piece of card stuck in place to charge.

Pls me know if you come across any good value!

Pricespy are usually very good

As KellyGirl said there is a lot of conflicting research and science. I think at novice level it isn't something to focus on. When it gets to a stage where you're run a few marathons and the gains are getting harder and harder to find then that's the time it might be something to consider.

The big advantage to taking them is that you will be used to taking them on race day! I'd advice everyone to practice them on 2-3 of your long runs starting 6-8 weeks out from the marathon so you have plenty of time to try alternatives if they don't agree with you.

More important that taking gels/food during long runs is to get a good quality source of carbs & protein in shortly afterwards (less than 60 minutes) to aid recovery! I've mentioned chocolate milk on here before as my go-to quick refueling strategy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭blueberrypie

Helenasca wrote: »
    Just looking at these tonight. My watch didn't charge last nite and died 3km in this evening. Seems to have gotten loose on the charger so currently have a piece of card stuck in place to charge.

Pls me know if you come across any good value!

Pricespy are usually very good

Currys have the Garmin Forerunner 235 for €99.99 at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

where did you see that.?

I'd say that's the 25 and not the 235?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭blueberrypie

sorry it is the 25 not the 235

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Thanks for the heads up and link.... Im in the market for a watch. Would prefer something fairly simple.... Anyone with experience of this watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

5 miles at pmp plus a day in tayto Park.....what was I thinking....wrecked I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up and link.... Im in the market for a watch. Would prefer something fairly simple.... Anyone with experience of this watch?

I had an older version but found it quite good. little bit heavier than one I use which is Garmin Vivoactive HR. I thought it was good though, like if you're just looking for pace, time, distance you can't go too wrong. Found tracking on it fine, had no issues uploading it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Last weeks training went well. Was off work for the week to go home and cut firewood so felt like I was doubling up on training doing this and my runs. The DCM training plan I am doing calls for Fartlek training at least once a week. What is the best way to approach this? I have been running at a reasonable pace for 1 mile, then trying to do roughly 50-100m sprints at 80% as often as I can manage and back to a slow pace in between. Should I be averaging alot faster for the whole run than usual per mile or should I be slowing down even more between bursts so the average per mile is the same??

Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Last weeks training went well. Was off work for the week to go home and cut firewood so felt like I was doubling up on training doing this and my runs. The DCM training plan I am doing calls for Fartlek training at least once a week. What is the best way to approach this? I have been running at a reasonable pace for 1 mile, then trying to do roughly 50-100m sprints at 80% as often as I can manage and back to a slow pace in between. Should I be averaging alot faster for the whole run than usual per mile or should I be slowing down even more between bursts so the average per mile is the same??

Hope that makes sense.

I would suggest that you lengthen the faster segments to about 200m or 30 seconds approx at a slightly slower pace than you presently do the 50/100m sprints. You could mix 100s, 200s, 400s...whatever you feel like really. Slow the pace of the fast bits as the distance you choose to run them gets longer. What you are doing at the moment is more akin to incorporating strides into your easy run.

As regards paces of the run, forget them. Fartlek training is not supposed to be structured like an interval session where set paces and distances are targeted. Jog slowly between fast efforts until you are fully recovered and your breathing returned to normal before getting back to your easy run pace. Feel free to vary the distances of the fast segments as well as the paces. There is no need for it to be rigidly structured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Bearing the words 'keeping the main thing the main thing' in mind, and not forgetting how bad I felt last week, I have a question:

Week 15-16 (5-9 October), would a 3-4 day Camino trip, no luggage carrying, 22k 'moderate' walk per day, be a folly?

The 4 mile "easy" run this morning felt way more effort than it should have. Pace was all over the place, and I'd almost say I found it more difficult that yesterdays pace run. First run in ages where I felt I got things completely wrong. Glad I have a rest day tomorrow to regroup before the weekend.

juke wrote: »
    Bearing the words 'keeping the main thing the main thing' in mind, and not forgetting how bad I felt last week, I have a question:

Week 15-16 (5-9 October), would a 3-4 day Camino trip, no luggage carrying, 22k 'moderate' walk per day, be a folly?

Look, it's not ideal but I'm in the camp of "life has to be lived", we're not exactly elites or paid professionals here :pac: I went on hols last year at the end of Sept/early Oct, it wasn't a hiking holiday so i just did as many of my runs as possible while i was away but i did miss a long run. You will be missing the very last long run before taper but nearer to the time we can figure how to get the best out of the days you can run before you leave. It's not ideal to skip long runs, we wouldn't be recommending it but it happens due to injury/illness/life.

Have you done any of the Camino before? How did you feel after it - did it take long to recover? It's something i'd love to do at some stage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

Heading away to Italy myself on Saturday so going to do last weeks LSR tomorrow evening as last weeks was a bit of a disaster. Had to abandon just shy of 15 miles, too sick to carry on. Not much running this week either, hopefully I've gotten rid of whatever bug I picked up. Not sure what sort of mileage will get done while I'm away but will try and keep ticking over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I had to change the LSR day to Wednesday this week and the next two weeks as I have commitments for the next few weekends. 12 miles in the bag! It went grand until the last three kilometres and I struggled from then.

I tried Tailwind for the first time. Started sipping it at 7 km and took some every km from then on. Tasted grand and no stomach issues. I don't know if it was of any benefit but I felt better mentally for taking it. Legs are a bit tired this morning but no niggles.

Advertisement