Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Heading away to Italy myself on Saturday so going to do last weeks LSR tomorrow evening as last weeks was a bit of a disaster. Had to abandon just shy of 15 miles, too sick to carry on. Not much running this week either, hopefully I've gotten rid of whatever bug I picked up. Not sure what sort of mileage will get done while I'm away but will try and keep ticking over.

Rossi typically we don't recommend chasing lost miles, once a run is gone it's gone. So tomorrow should be this weeks LSR. I guess you probably want to get to 16m though after failing to get there last week, it's 2m longer than planned but as your midweek runs in the week ahead are a bit uncertain also that will be fine to do. Best of luck with it tomorrow.

Guys, don't beat yourselves up about a missed run or don't chase missed runs (or a missed mile at the end of a run). Unfortunately illness/injury/life will strike most of us once in an 18 week plan. Now that's not a license to skip a run every week as obviously that's not want we want :pac: but if you get 85-90% of the plan ticked off then you've done well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

I'm somewhat at a loss myself. Missed 2 long runs through injury, wedding and house getting pulled apart. Serious stress!

Was going to aim for 10m rather than the 16m on the plan as don't want to do too much. Would that be better than just going for the 16m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

I'm somewhat at a loss myself. Missed 2 long runs through injury, wedding and house getting pulled apart. Serious stress!

Was going to aim for 10m rather than the 16m on the plan as don't want to do too much. Would that be better than just going for the 16m?

I missed the 15Mile long slow run, and failed at the 13mile run (only got 11 miles done) - so Last weekend I just did 13miles. so it would lead into 14 miles this week. I didnt want a massive jump up.

So maybe try for 13 miles this week if possible? so next week isnt such a MASSIVE jump back to 16? Thats just the way I looked at it.

My run last weekend was brilliant also. I had feared it so much but it ended up being my favourite run yet. So you will hopefully have the same experience. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I did the Bray Aquathon last night (750m Swim and 5K run), perfect prepp (not) for the 26.2 mile DCM.....ok, I promise that I will be good from this point on and quit dabbling in other sports, just needed to get that out of my system for 2018 ;)

Doing the Rock N Roll HM at the weekend, really looking forward to it, anyone else doing it as part of their DCM training?

Going to rest up until Sunday and 'see how I feel' after 5-6K and then decide on what time to aim for as the hills in Chapelizod look tough.
    I have 24K LSR's on the following 3 weeks, which is a jump from the past few 20K LSR's on my plan (ASIC's plan), so hopefully this HM will put me on a good footing for the last few weeks of the madness that is call marathon training.

Keep going folks, only a few more LSR's (7 for me but who's counting :D) until TAPER time........then we will all go a bit nuts cos we won't be running long distances anymore until the big day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

smashiner wrote: »
    I did the Bray Aquathon last night (750m Swim and 5K run), perfect prepp (not) for the 26.2 mile DCM.....ok, I promise that I will be good from this point on and quit dabbling in other sports, just needed to get that out of my system for 2018 ;)

Doing the Rock N Roll HM at the weekend, really looking forward to it, anyone else doing it as part of their DCM training?

Going to rest up until Sunday and 'see how I feel' after 5-6K and then decide on what time to aim for as the hills in Chapelizod look tough.
    I have 24K LSR's on the following 3 weeks, which is a jump from the past few 20K LSR's on my plan (ASIC's plan), so hopefully this HM will put me on a good footing for the last few weeks of the madness that is call marathon training.

Keep going folks, only a few more LSR's (7 for me but who's counting :D) until TAPER time........then we will all go a bit nuts cos we won't be running long distances anymore until the big day!!

I'm doing Rock n Roll half marathon this weekend too, interesting route this year with a dodgy enough climb around 7-8k in and lasting for a couple of kms.

Hoping to run it in around 1:35 to set myself up for a 3:30 in DCM, but likewise i'll see how im doing after 5k or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

ariana` wrote: »
    Look, it's not ideal but I'm in the camp of "life has to be lived", we're not exactly elites or paid professionals here :pac: I went on hols last year at the end of Sept/early Oct, it wasn't a hiking holiday so i just did as many of my runs as possible while i was away but i did miss a long run. You will be missing the very last long run before taper but nearer to the time we can figure how to get the best out of the days you can run before you leave. It's not ideal to skip long runs, we wouldn't be recommending it but it happens due to injury/illness/life.

Have you done any of the Camino before? How did you feel after it - did it take long to recover? It's something i'd love to do at some stage :)

It's never something I've even thought of, but the opportunity just came up at the weekend. I've no idea really what it is like and had the faint idea I could combine walking with some runs - eg run one day as my LSR and meet my friends later. I've no idea of the terrain though - so that may not even be feasible.

Thought I'd put out a feeler before I pay a booking deposit. A flat 'NO' would have stopped any further thought :D

I'll just have to do some proper research and then decide :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

juke wrote: »
    It's never something I've even thought of, but the opportunity just came up at the weekend. I've no idea really what it is like and had the faint idea I could combine walking with some runs - eg run one day as my LSR and meet my friends later. I've no idea of the terrain though - so that may not even be feasible.

Thought I'd put out a feeler before I pay a booking deposit. A flat 'NO' would have stopped any further thought :D

I'll just have to do some proper research and then decide :)

I thought you were talking about something you had already planned and so needed to work around...

If thats not the case, if its just something you are idly pondering because a mate is doing it then I'm sorry but why? Its 3 weeks before the marathon, an important week and one of the last big mileage training weeks, why are you risking 4 months of training on some random jaunt?

I'd like to climb Everest but I'm not going to start climbing at the start of October, keep the main thing the main thing!

I thought you were talking about something you had already planned and so needed to work around...

If thats not the case, if its just something you are idly pondering because a mate is doing it then I'm sorry but why? Its 3 weeks before the marathon, an important week and one of the last big mileage training weeks, why are you risking 4 months of training on some random jaunt?

I'd like to climb Everest but I'm not going to start climbing at the start of October, keep the main thing the main thing!

:D this is what I'm talking about!

No, not booked and it's the old friends I don't get to see enough of that I'd be going with that is more of interest, more so than the walk. Bad timing - I get it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

Speaking of fueling.. what does everyone eat before their long runs? Having some stomach issues and do not want to stop for anything on the day!

My everyday breakfast is usually 3 pieces of fruit, yoghurt and a ‘superhero’ muffin (out of Shalane Flanagan book - made of ground almond, carrots, raisins and lots of other goodness) crumbled over.
    Before long runs I have just the fruit, including a banana always, and right after the run I’ll have more fruit with the yoghurt and muffin.

OH recommending more carby brekkie, like toast with peanut butter, before the LSRs but is sticking to your usual breakfast not advised?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

So had my first experience of energy gels this evening. Had the kinetica cola flavoured ones and by jaysus they tasted just like cola Mr freezes a thumbs up for flavour. Energy levels wise hmmmm not too sure. I don't know what I was expecting either so I'm at a bit of a loss.

What do ye all get out of them? Is there a burst of energy? Or do they just help with muscle fatigue or what's the story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Speaking of fueling.. what does everyone eat before their long runs? Having some stomach issues and do not want to stop for anything on the day!

My everyday breakfast is usually 3 pieces of fruit, yoghurt and a ‘superhero’ muffin (out of Shalane Flanagan book - made of ground almond, carrots, raisins and lots of other goodness) crumbled over.
    Before long runs I have just the fruit, including a banana always, and right after the run I’ll have more fruit with the yoghurt and muffin.

OH recommending more carby brekkie, like toast with peanut butter, before the LSRs but is sticking to your usual breakfast not advised?

I’d imagine a lot of fruit could cause issues, alright. I’ve taken to avoiding fruit myself in the afternoon for that reason.

Certainly, you shouldn’t change your breakfast to something you’re not used to on the morning of the marathon, but if your current breakfast isn’t working for you, now is the time to find something that does. Maybe try a carby breakfast before a shorter run and if it works out, you could have it the morning before each long run - that should give you plenty of time to get used to by D-Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I’d imagine a lot of fruit could cause issues, alright. I’ve taken to avoiding fruit myself in the afternoon for that reason.

Certainly, you shouldn’t change your breakfast to something you’re not used to not the morning of the marathon, but if your current breakfast isn’t working for you, now is the time to find something that does. Maybe try a carby breakfast before a shorter run and if it works out, you could have it the morning before each long run - that should give you plenty of time to get used to by D-Day.

I think it’s the fruit probably causing issues. It causes issues for me. I’d be thinking about getting used to a more carby breakfast too at this stage. Last year before DCM, Irish Runner I think it was, had a section on what to eat the week of the marathon. I’ll share it closer to the time as I’ve followed it for 3 marathons now. Anyway, 2 to 3 days before the marathon it actually tells you cut out fruit and cut down on fiber to help prevent stomach issues. You need to eating something that gives you energy before long runs - and fruit doesn’t really do that - besides bananas. Bagel and peanut butter is great or porridge. I’ll switch my breakfast to porridge on the last few runs and on D Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

On race day yes it is advised you stick to what you are used to and what works for you!!!

During training, you can see what works and what doesn't and something is not working for you so it is worth changing your breakfast before your LSR and I think Toast and peanut butter sounds like a plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I think it’s the fruit probably causing issues. It causes issues for me. I’d be thinking about getting used to a more carby breakfast too at this stage. Last year before DCM, Irish Runner I think it was, had a section on what to eat the week of the marathon. I’ll share it closer to the time as I’ve followed it for 3 marathons now. Anyway, 2 to 3 days before the marathon it actually tells you cut out fruit and cut down on fiber to help prevent stomach issues. You need to eating something that gives you energy before long runs - and fruit doesn’t really do that - besides bananas. Bagel and peanut butter is great or porridge. I’ll switch my breakfast to porridge on the last few runs and on D Day.

I’ve been doing mine first thing at the weekend and haven’t been having breakfast because of the fear of stomach. I really struggled last week though. Should I be getting up an hour earlier and having brekkie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

effibear wrote: »
    I’ve been doing mine first thing at the weekend and haven’t been having breakfast because of the fear of stomach. I really struggled last week though. Should I be getting up an hour earlier and having brekkie?

There's no right and wrong, it's a case of whatever suits the individual. I typically didn't eat before any of my long runs when training for DCM last year. Some people are able eat something light (e.g a slice of while toast or a banana) quite close to their long run.

Is it possible that last week was just a one off bad run? Had you eaten and hydrated well the day before? When did you start to struggle on last week's run?

You could try eating a banana or even half a banana 15-20 minutes before you run to see if it makes a difference. Or you could run on empty but take on some fuel on the run in the form of a gel or even just a small handful of jelly babies. Or you try both strategies - run with something very small eaten and take on fuel during the run.

Just some things to try before you resort to setting the alarm clock for even earlier than is necessary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

I do my LSR first thing Sunday morning. I'm up, have a small bowl of cereal, glass of water and I'm gone. To be honest, I feel that you're running so slowly on these LSR that you dont really need to wait for digestion etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

ariana` wrote: »
    There's no right and wrong, it's a case of whatever suits the individual. I typically didn't eat before any of my long runs when training for DCM last year. Some people are able eat something light (e.g a slice of while toast or a banana) quite close to their long run.

Is it possible that last week was just a one off bad run? Had you eaten and hydrated well the day before? When did you start to struggle on last week's run?

You could try eating a banana or even half a banana 15-20 minutes before you run to see if it makes a difference. Or you could run on empty but take on some fuel on the run in the form of a gel or even just a small handful of jelly babies. Or you try both strategies - run with something very small eaten and take on fuel during the run.

Just some things to try before you resort to setting the alarm clock for even earlier than is necessary :)

I know of people who eat a bowl of porridge just before bed too the night before. I haven’t tried it myself. As Ariana says, they day before is very important and getting some extra carbs in for lunch and dinner will hopefully help. I tend to have the same dinner or type of dinner (pasta) the night before all long runs and DDay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

This is an issue I'm constantly second-guessing, even though it's one that hasnt really caused any great concern. Still, it's an aspect of running that I'm terrified of wrong. It's really the early morning lsr's that im referring to.
    I suppose until what im doing stops working for me, there's no reason to change I guess......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

I'd be the opposite of yourself Coogy, I struggle with getting the late LSR right. I find doing them in the morning easier, a bowl of porridge with a scoop of protein and berries washed down with a mug of tea does me.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

coogy wrote: »
    This is an issue I'm constantly second-guessing, even though it's one that hasnt really caused any great concern. Still, it's an aspect of running that I'm terrified of wrong. It's really the early morning lsr's that im referring to.
    I suppose until what im doing stops working for me, there's no reason to change I guess......

Yeah me too to be honest- I’m still emotionallly scared from what I saw as a child when the marathon in the 80’s ran by my school....the image never leaves you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

I'd be the opposite of yourself Coogy, I struggle with getting the late LSR right. I find doing them in the morning easier, a bowl of porridge with a scoop of protein and berries washed down with a mug of tea does me.

I have a banana and a bowl of whetabix before a weekend lsr

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

Thanks for the replies! I love my breakfast and it works for me but might try switching it up just on the LSR days to toast with peanut butter and a banana and see how that goes.. and I also eat more carbs the day before for lunch and dinner and it’s very enjoyable :)

Thanks for the replies! I love my breakfast and it works for me but might try switching it up just on the LSR days to toast with peanut butter and a banana and see how that goes.. and I also eat more carbs the day before for lunch and dinner and it’s very enjoyable :)
    Just make sure you stick a small bit of tissue on the inside pocket of your running shorts just encase ;) if you use it you can call yourself a real runner then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Helenasca wrote: »
    So had my first experience of energy gels this evening. Had the kinetica cola flavoured ones and by jaysus they tasted just like cola Mr freezes a thumbs up for flavour. Energy levels wise hmmmm not too sure. I don't know what I was expecting either so I'm at a bit of a loss.

What do ye all get out of them? Is there a burst of energy? Or do they just help with muscle fatigue or what's the story?

I've been thinking about replying to these but couldn't really figure out a way to simplify it. However as it is an issue than seems to be of concern for quite a number of you I will give it a shot.

Do gels give a burst of energy? No they don't. Muscles use muscle glycogen for energy. The faster you run the quicker you use it up. However if we are eating a healthy diet and eat a small meal before a long run or race to top up our glycogen stores we have enough to roughly get us through 90 mins at half marathon pace, 2 hours at marathon pace and 2.5 hours at a genuine LSR pace. Gels simply put more fuel in the tank so that you can push that range further. They do not have magical energy giving powers.

So then you will ask about those people you have heard who noticed they felt better on a shorter run after taking a gel or similar product. How come they say they felt better? The reason for this is quite simple too. When energy products are taken they enter the bloodstream. It can then take anything from 3 to 20 minutes to go through the process of becoming usable energy for the muscles and will be of no immediate benefit unless your stores are empty. However our brains are powered by our bloodstream and as this is where the sugary carbs are residing we in effect get a sugar rush which makes us feel better. They will not be helping the muscles at this point.

This might make you wonder why we should take gels etc on our LSR. As I said they are not actually needed on LSRs under 2/2.5 hours as you should have enough energy on board to complete them without topping up. Again the answer is in the workings of our body . It is a magical thing. We sweat to regulate heat. We fall asleep when the body needs rest. Hairs rise and lie down on our arms. The body is constantly adapting to the situations we put it in. When we run long or hard our body sends more oxygen rich blood to the muscles which need it and less where it is not needed. The GI tract is one place that the body will reduce supply of blood to. This does not cause a problem until one day in October we throw a huge amount of carbohydrate into a digestive system we have trained to switch off while we run. By taking gels or food on training runs we can help our body get used to multi tasking.

Fruit for breakfast before a long run? With the exception of banana, avocado and one or two others this is not a great idea. Fruit and veg are high in fibre and take longer to digest. As explained in an over simplistic way above the body will be trying to help the muscles by reducing blood supply to the intestines. What we need to do is give it some more easily digested food like toast or bagels. A topping of peanut or almond butter is to provide some easily digested protein.

The most important message about gels is that they do not give you magical powers. They do not enable you to run further or faster than your training allows you. Petrol is pretty useless in a car with a bad engine and dirty carburettor :pac::pac: Most of the people you will see walking on heartbreak hill will be full of energy gels, drinks, electrolytes etc. and will have have carb loaded leading up to the day. They simply will not have trained well enough to run 26.2 miles at the pace they attempted.

So that's a very pared back attempt to answer a couple of questions. I'll try my best to answer any more you might come up with. ;)

Yeah but why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Yeah but why ?

You're one smart arsed comment from eviction! :D

Yeah but why ?
    Haha, I'd say that was impossible to resist
    ;)

My go to gym breakfast for years!

I find I stomach this better on weekend runs for some reason.

The great part is we all have weeks to test out whats best for each of us between now and October.

The great part is we all have weeks to test out whats best for each of us between now and October.

I used to just a banana before an lsr. Im just terrified of the thought of waking everyone before I leave the house at such an early hour. Bananas are minimal fuss. I might try out the bagel and peanut butter option next which is what I would normally have before a midweek shorter run......

• Advertisement

coogy wrote: »

I used to just a banana before an lsr. Im just terrified of the thought of waking everyone before I leave the house at such an early hour. Bananas are minimal fuss. I might try out the bagel and peanut butter option next which is what I would normally have before a midweek shorter run......

Just put the oats ( & protein powder )in a pot with water the night before, as soon as your up put the hob on & go back upstairs to get ready. You’ll not look back

Advertisement