Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Just put the oats ( & protein powder )in a pot with water the night before, as soon as your up put the hob on & go back upstairs to get ready. You’ll not look back

Or make overnight oats, and then you don't even need to cook them in the morning! Just eat them as they are.
    Personally I usually go for a slice of toast with peanut butter and jam before a long run. Haven't figured out fuelling during the long runs at all though - I haven't needed to yet but definitely need to sort it out before marathon day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

Feels like I had a good week training wise. After the buzz of getting to go quick in Dun Laoighaire on Monday it was back to the bread and butter runs in the middle of the week. Finally, after what feels like 3+ weeks, the head cold has gone. It was easy to notice this in the recorded runs - average heart rate per run was down by about 10-15bpm. That in itself was a good mental boost as I was beginning to feel that I was never going to shift.

That brought me to today, the LSR. In the run-up to it, I was chomping at the bit to get going, particularly as I knew I was heading into uncharted terrority in terms of distance. An early start and I done the maths on the distance which involved me running from one town to the next and back again. My plan involved a couple of extra kilometres as I'm involved in the Kilcock 10 Mile next weekend. I felt overall the LSR went well. A little quick out of the blocks but I settled into a routine. A new route, which involved running past my parents house at one point (which mentally, was kinda tough because usually I might stop there when running there!!)

I would say that this was the first run where I could feel myself a little leggy towards the end. I incorporated a good steep hill that I usually have halfway through my 10 mile route. Such a difference to hit near the 20K mark. I would say I got a little bit quick towards the end, knowing it was closer to the end. I have to be mindful about that. A few creaking upper body pains in the last few klicks as well. All part of the process. I made a key error of not bringing water with me (had a new belt after getting annoyed with the last one).
    On the plus side, I got plasters for my nipples this week. By the power of greyskull what a difference they make! Lads, just buy them.

Mentally, I would say immediately after finishing I did question if I'd be capable of hitting my eventual targets given how I felt at the end of it. That said, this is the end of week 7 out of 18 so there is much to go. It's food for thought. I have the Tullamore Half this day two weeks and that is going to be my big litmus test in terms of where I am and how to adjust my training paces based on how that goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

ariana` wrote: »
    There's no right and wrong, it's a case of whatever suits the individual. I typically didn't eat before any of my long runs when training for DCM last year. Some people are able eat something light (e.g a slice of while toast or a banana) quite close to their long run.

Is it possible that last week was just a one off bad run? Had you eaten and hydrated well the day before? When did you start to struggle on last week's run?

You could try eating a banana or even half a banana 15-20 minutes before you run to see if it makes a difference. Or you could run on empty but take on some fuel on the run in the form of a gel or even just a small handful of jelly babies. Or you try both strategies - run with something very small eaten and take on fuel during the run.

Just some things to try before you resort to setting the alarm clock for even earlier than is necessary :)

Thanks I struggled from the start if I’m honest, whereas the 15 mile I felt great. Probably a combination of things. I had very broken sleep the night before (the mini sleep thieves dictate that). I can’t remember what I had to eat the day before but probably should focus better on that. I moved from my usual routes in the Phoenix Park to the marathon route and while it was good to practise it- running in green scenery is far more enjoyable than the n11 😂. My stomach started grumbling on the run which I hadn’t experienced before so thought maybe breakfast had something to do with it. I’d rather run without it though- need that extra hour in bed! I suspect I’m run down in general as every run this week felt tough and I’ve been going much much slower than planned.

Thanks for all the advice everyone - I don’t know how to do multiple quotes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,474 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Anyone else doing the RockNRoll half tomorrow?
    I'm doing it and am a little nervous, I should be taking it easy like a training run as my LSR needs to jump a bit in the coming few weeks and I don't want to jeopardize that. However experience tells me its very easy to get caught up in it all and run too fast and be knackered for the rest of the week!
    Think I'll start at the back of my corral and try to take it at a sensible pace!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Supercell wrote: »
    I'm doing it and am a little nervous, I should be taking it easy like a training run as my LSR needs to jump a bit in the coming few weeks and I don't want to jeopardize that. However experience tells me its very easy to get caught up in it all and run too fast and be knackered for the rest of the week!
    Think I'll start at the back of my corral and try to take it at a sensible pace!

It’ll be good practice for the start of DCM when you’re as fit as you’ve ever been, nicely tapered and chomping at the bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Supercell wrote: »
    I’m doing R&R tomorrow. Following advice from here I’m going to stay behind the pacers in my corral until after the hills, then try race the last 5 miles (unless the hills are too much, then I’ll hopefully stay with the pacers right to the end)
    Will be with the 2.30 pacers which is my LR pace - now I haven’t managed to run at this pace yet in my LSRs- I always end up going a good bit faster, so it will be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

I’m running rock n roll half tomorrow- going to try and stay under 2hrs- but see how it all pans out tomorrow

Also trying Tailwind endurance fuel for the first time tomorrow- see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Would have wished all you Rock n Rollers good luck if Boards hadn't died.

Looking forward to reading how you got on....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whiskey_sour

Hope everyone got on well in the RnR today!

I had my half marathon yesterday, was nervous all week as my calf was acting up but took it easy only going on a couple of short runs, a bit of gym work and lots of foam rolling. Couldn't get an appointment with my usual physio and didn't want to risk going to someone new the week of a race!

The week off seemed to do me the world of good as the legs felt great for the race yesterday! It was a strange race...a narrow trail which was open to the public. It was also an out and back course so some areas were a little tight with runners going both ways and bikes/buggies to dodge around. There was also little to no spectators/support along the course and no earphones allowed so was very quiet/lonely at times...

Overall I'm happy with my time and the experience. I was aiming for a realistic target of sub 2:15 and came in at 2:13:33...I started off way too fast and knew it at the time but just couldn't slow down. For the first half my legs felt great but breath was too heavy, whereas the second half was the opposite and my quads were just burning. Pace for the first 6 miles was between 9:30 to 10min/mile whereas the second half was more like 10-10:45. Last mile was torture and pace really slowed, also had to run past the finish line for another half mile and run back to make up the distance...there were so many people walking at this stage and I was so tempted to join them but just had to focus on putting one foot in front of the other.

Really glad of the race experience as I haven't had a proper race in a long time, was originally targeting a marathon time of 4:30 but I think 4:45 will be more sensible. I think niggles the past few weeks are based off trying to run the pace workouts too fast, so this new slower pace is definitely less scary now! I also definitely need to work on pacing more evenly, my body only seems to like 9:XX or 11:XX pace...I am always either too fast or too slow! And also I need to buy bodyglide....got such a shock when I got home to find two huge blood blisters on the balls of my feet! Oh the glamour!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    I’m running rock n roll half tomorrow- going to try and stay under 2hrs- but see how it all pans out tomorrow

Also trying Tailwind endurance fuel for the first time tomorrow- see how it goes.

Overall I enjoyed the race. First 4 miles I was very comfortable, I started to think a Pb was on. 1:57 finish time- pb is 1:53. Never ran the hills before, they were savage, both running up and down them and they knocked any ideas of a pb out the window. Last mile was a slog, legs were heavy.

Feel really strong mentally after the race as I was determined to keep going, may have walked sections previously.

Felt the narrow running cordens were an issue-or friends running in groups without looking around them during these narrow sections was worse!

Things I learned for Marathon: The water bottle I had was crap- need to review. Tailwind powder I had was interesting, according to the company, you don’t need any gels as this powder is sufficient for all your needs, mixed it with 750ml of water, tasted very syrupy-Jury’s out- anyone else use tailwind? Running the pace I ran today is probably not viable over 26 miles, maybe that will change/improve over next few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 mrs happyfeet

well done to all who had races over the weekend. I did the rock n roll 1/2 today. was happy with my time of 2.24. we decided before the race to walk all the big hills and was happy with our decision. kept the pace nice and steady and averaged 10.56 per mile. Agree that it got quite narrow in spots but was happy with the location of waterstops and lots of water, powerade and gels on offer. lots of goodies at the finish and a great atmosphere around the place. had a bowl of porridge with blueberries and honey for brekkie. had 2 gels on the course and a couple of jellies and felt good.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭yido1882

I ran the R'n'R half this morning too. I started the race about 10 yards from Kevin Kilbane which made me start faster than I had planned! Ended up racing it which wasn't really the plan. I'll need to be more disciplined for the Marathon.

I wasn't sure if I could sustain the pace as I hadn't been running at that pace at all training for the DCM but thankfully I kept it going and got a PB.
    My wife and kids were at the 13km mark which gave me a bit of a lift for a few kms after so I'll be strategicly placing them on the DCM route come October!

The hills were really tough. I had worried about knockmaroon hill before the race but I thought the hills at the anglers rest & laurences road were much tougher because they were in the second half of the race.

Good few things learned today which was the point of the race really, no more races now until the big one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done to everyone who raced on a very tough course in the RnR today. I'm especially delighted to see so many of you mention "lessons learnt" and recording how fueling and other aspects went on the day, this is such a valuable part of racing. Super stuff from you all :)

So week 8 already :eek:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun
    NNH1|rest|3m easy|6m easy|3m easy|rest|14m lsr|cross
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|4m easy|1m w/u +6m pace + 1m c/d|4m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|16m lsr|rest,cross or 3m rec

Nothing new this week, a 2nd 16 miler and an increase on the distance on the pace runs for the Boards followers but nothing you guys can't handle (once the PMP is reasonably realistic ;))!

And NNH1 followers have their longest long run building on this week's 12 miler.

Have a good week all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I had my step back week of 22km on Saturday, and for the first time this year I had one of the not so good runs! I finished ok but I wasn't nearly as comfortable at the end as I should have been or I have been in recent weeks.

Pretty sure it was a nutritional thing, my Friday night meal wasn't great, I hadn't been drinking enough water at work and then on top of that I tried to do the entire run without any water or gels. My Thursday night 7km had also been a little too quick. The predictable end result was feeling pretty tired during the last 2k when there should have been plenty left in the tank.

No harm done though and some lessons learned, even if I'm busy I can't be taking the nutritional side of things for granted, I need to prepare better and then be more realistic about what I need during the runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

R&R went exactly to plan today :D The hills were horrible - coming down was as bad as going up, they were so steep I was afraid I’d fall. I stayed with the 2:30 pacers until mile 8 - then tried to pick it up a bit.
    I finished in 2:22:22, I kind of wish I’d raced the whole thing now, I had to keep stopping to wait for the pacers - but I’d be a week recovering from a 13 mile race - at least now I’m good to go again tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I had my step back week of 22km on Saturday, and for the first time this year I had one of the not so good runs! I finished ok but I wasn't nearly as comfortable at the end as I should have been or I have been in recent weeks.

Pretty sure it was a nutritional thing, my Friday night meal wasn't great, I hadn't been drinking enough water at work and then on top of that I tried to do the entire run without any water or gels. My Thursday night 7km had also been a little too quick. The predictable end result was feeling pretty tired during the last 2k when there should have been plenty left in the tank.

No harm done though and some lessons learned, even if I'm busy I can't be taking the nutritional side of things for granted, I need to prepare better and then be more realistic about what I need during the runs.

I found the 22.5k a huge struggle today. I have decided it's the exta k's I'm just not used to. Just as well it was a step back week.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

kittyclaws wrote: »
    R&R went exactly to plan today :D The hills were horrible - coming down was as bad as going up, they were so steep I was afraid I’d fall. I stayed with the 2:30 pacers until mile 8 - then tried to pick it up a bit.
    I finished in 2:22:22, I kind of wish I’d raced the whole thing now, I had to keep stopping to wait for the pacers - but I’d be a week recovering from a 13 mile race - at least now I’m good to go again tomorrow :)

Well done,that was a really tough HM today (I am knackered),it will stand to you for DCM day!

Well done to all Novices that took part today, it was a good one to have under the belt and will be of great benefit for the next few weeks for the final push ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ChippyRun

Had a great RnR half today despite being up during the night with sick child(aged 28😆) Ran with my better half and we kept pace nice and easy. Killer hills but still felt strong on home stretch. Porridge for brekkie and a couple of gels during race and felt well fueled. Shook off calf niggle by skipping a 3 mile run Thursday so felt the benefit of extra days rest.
    Enjoyed the experience overall and its given me a major boost mentally for the miles ahead. Only complaint was the free beer at the end was non alcoholic !

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Summerflower

Well done to everyone on the R&R half today, you all did amazing. The hills sound very tough but each and everyone of you have survived to tell the tale which is such a great sign that all of this training is doing something! Its been along time since I have posted however I have been following all of your journeys so far and taking note of some really helpful tips that you have mentioned.. I am a zero tab convert now, sports drinks always made me sickly so these are just the business.

My training so far has been going well, like most of you on the boards plan, I have completed the longest distances I have ever done, 15 miles, 16 miles and then bringing it back to a 14 miles which was very welcomed!! I have been trying out the gels and find the kinetica (without caffine) good with no problems but it is gloopy so I will try the high5 next.

I am signed up for the Kilcock 10mile on Sunday however I dont want to miss the planned 16mile on the plan so I am hoping to incorporate the extra miles in a warm up & cool down, I guess I will see how I feel on the day as it is advertised as a PB course and I am dying see how I will fair in a race but I have the Frank Duffy 10 mile booked also and Im trying to stick to the plan as best I can.. When I originally signed up for DCM in December, prior to committing to the boards plan I had booked a few races to help me log the miles so its a little conflicting now..

Im starting to feel like I am following Racersedge as I am also signed up for the Tullamore Half however I will definitely be doing the extra miles in my warm up and cool down as I dont want to miss my first ever 18mile run and I cant fit in the 18 if I dont do it that day. I do intend to take full advantage of all the extras that the Tullamore Half are putting on so I will join the queue and get a light physio rub on the legs afterswards :)

Best of luck to everyone on your training this week, looking forward to catching up and seeing how well you are all doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Don't worry about hitting the target mileage if you are racing. A normal warm up and cooldown either side of a 10 mile or HM race is perfectly adequate, in fact it will be good for you. I'd only consider topping up the distance if you are running the races at a more leisurely training pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Summerflower

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Don't worry about hitting the target mileage if you are racing. A normal warm up and cooldown either side of a 10 mile or HM race is perfectly adequate, in fact it will be good for you. I'd only consider topping up the distance if you are running the races at a more leisurely training pace.

Thank you, thats good to know. I will be running the half at a leisurely pace as I am running it with a friend who is doing her first half distance and I wont be pushing it at all so I am happy to add the miles either side of it. I do feel comfortable at the 10 mile distance so I might just give it a go in Kilcock and see how it goes, I guess it it makes more sense to be prepared to race it at this stage and get a indication of what I can do

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Griff75

Rock n Roll HM today - my first attempt at that distance in a good few years. Wasn’t expecting a PB or anything given the course profile but happy enough overall. For some reason I had thought the first half would be worse so held back a little in that. Went through halfway in 58.30 and feeling ok so picked it up then. The hill at the anglers rest nearly bested me but finished strongly with my fastest km being my last and a finish Time of 1.53 so a decent negative split. Hadn’t picked a goal finish time but will be targeting sub 1.50 in the race series half.

Back to more mundane stuff next week and a regular 16 miler!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Good to hear the reports of today's HM coming in and well done to all who ran.
    I would hope to run (race) a HM before D-day, so I have a clue of progress and to help with race situation and picking a pace to aim for. With work and othe commitments, the only one that suits is on Sept 16th which is 6 weeks out from DCM. Is this to close to give it a lash, or would I be better to treat as a long run and just get the race experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Well done all you Rock n' Rollers!!
    Great reading about your experiences, am v jealous!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Well done to everyone who did RnR

Went out myself at weekend, and was feeling pretty crap. Generally cold type symptoms. Started out aiming for 10m but when I stopped for water I thought it would be madness doing the second 5m. I think I would've gotten through it no problem but the after effects would not have made it worth it

Still feeling pretty crap so glad I stopped. Just really wanted to get another long run under belt. I don't think I've lost too much fitness over past 2 weeks thankfully.

Eyes on the prize in October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

I didn't do the rock n roll but did the planned 12 mile this weekend (on Sunday though) and my thighs have been chafed pretty bad.. not great and it's giving me a bit of a scare.. if that's happened at 12 miles I'm a bit worried it's not gonna improve but get worse from here on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done everybody who raced this weekend. Strava and the reports here were great.
    sumsar wrote: »
    I didn't do the rock n roll but did the planned 12 mile this weekend (on Sunday though) and my thighs have been chafed pretty bad.. not great and it's giving me a bit of a scare.. if that's happened at 12 miles I'm a bit worried it's not gonna improve but get worse from here on.

Don’t worry Sumsar. That’s really normal. Go get yourself some bodyglide. It is brilliant and just use it every time you go out running. I coat myself in it and it will get you through a whole marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Don’t worry Sumsar. That’s really normal. Go get yourself some bodyglide. It is brilliant and just use it every time you go out running. I coat myself in it and it will get you through a whole marathon.

Thanks for that, I'll look into that this afternoon so.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Well done to everyone at the weekend, looked a tough course so fair play

I had to write off all of last week, I went to a physio for a calf niggle and the after effects of dry needling took until today to ease off

Back to it this week and I am sure the rest will have done me good

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

And also I need to buy bodyglide....got such a shock when I got home to find two huge blood blisters on the balls of my feet! Oh the glamour!

I got one early on as well, the advice I got was to leave it as is, and it'll subside on it's own. I also got some 1000 mile socks, with the 2 layers and now make sure to wear these on my long runs. Haven't had any issues with them since.

Advertisement