Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

RayCun wrote: »
    That's about as much as I could stomach, and as much as I want to be carrying.

Out of interest, how do you (people) carry “all” this stuff- pockets of shorts, a back pack, any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Has anyone much experience with the SIS Go Energy & Caffeine Gels? They are the only ones I really like the taste of. However it recommends not to take more than 2 per day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Out of interest, how do you (people) carry “all” this stuff- pockets of shorts, a back pack, any recommendations?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74503617

arm wallet or belt for me

this is also something you should practice on at least one long run. Every marathon you see people get half a mile down the road and all their gels fall out/off.

back pack wouldn't work, you need something you can access as you run

smeal wrote: »
    Has anyone much experience with the SIS Go Energy & Caffeine Gels? They are the only ones I really like the taste of. However it recommends not to take more than 2 per day?

might be the amount of caffeine in them?

do they have caffeine free versions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

RayCun wrote: »
    that's basically a gel
    a gel will usually have more simple carbohydrates - sugar - than baby food, but it's the same idea

On race day, I would eat a real breakfast, a couple of hours before the start. That's something worth practicing on at least one LSR - get up at 7, have breakfast, then hang around for an hour or more before going out to run.

I generally have something like a bottle of Lucozade and a banana on my way in to the race.

I don't think you can plan to replenish all your glycogen during the race. You have to strike a balance between eating enough to postpone depletion and eating so much that you get sick. I usually plan to take 4 gels (6, 12, 18, 21 miles, before the water stations so I can wash them down), the thicker gels not isogels. That's about as much as I could stomach, and as much as I want to be carrying.

Why not isogels? What's the difference between gels and isogels?
    I was confronted with this in Elvery's yesterday when buying gels. I didn't know the difference between gels and isogels, so bought a couple of each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

On race day, I would eat a real breakfast, a couple of hours before the start. That's something worth practicing on at least one LSR - get up at 7, have breakfast, then hang around for an hour or more before going out to run.

Agree - will definitely have to try out a breakfast before a LSR. Will probably be porridge plus a banana or toast.... Thanks

going to buy new runners this week. can anyone recommend a good place to go that does not cost a fortune
    the ones I have been using for the past year (relatively cheap generic under armour shoes) are well past their sell by date so now is a good time to invest in a new pair as we are 10 weeks out from the DCM

I dont know if you like Nikes but you could try the Nike outlets - Kildare/Killarney - they can have good deals. Was in the Killarney outlet recently and they had vomeros (Male and Female) which are a decent enough shoe at a very reasonable rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

going to buy new runners this week. can anyone recommend a good place to go that does not cost a fortune

I'm not saying you can't get good runners at a good price, but my opinion has always been that a good pair of runners is worth the money and that it is not an area to cheap out on.

You will be spending a lot of time in those shoes and their performance is absolutely vital to your success, if anything is worth a few extra euro it is the runners. :)

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Why not isogels? What's the difference between gels and isogels?
    I was confronted with this in Elvery's yesterday when buying gels. I didn't know the difference between gels and isogels, so bought a couple of each.

The regular gels are a thick goop - like baby food.
    The isogels are more watery.

This is a regular gel, 41g, 25g of carbs, mainly sugar

This is an isogel, 23g of carbs in a 66g gel, the difference is added water.

The isogels are easier to take, less likely to cause stomach trouble. But they are bulkier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    I dont know if you like Nikes but you could try the Nike outlets - Kildare/Killarney - they can have good deals. Was in the Killarney outlet recently and they had vomeros (Male and Female) which are a decent enough shoe at a very reasonable rate.

A decent shoe for one person isn't necessarily a decent shoe for someone else. It's advisable to go to a good running store and get a shoe recommended for you individually. Some shops do gait analysis, it might cost €20 but if you buy a pair of runners they'll take that off the cost of them. It's worth doing gait analysis at least once to get a feel for what type of runner you need - neutral, cushioned, stability etc.

We're all different in how we run and our needs vary depending on event we're training for too, the kind of mileage we'll be doing in them etc. It depends where you're based but if you let us know i'm sure a good running shop can be recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whiskey_sour

While we're talking about runners does anyone know of a good shop for buying online? I got my previous pair of runners in Amphibian King in Ballymount and was really happy with them. I got the pair I'm in now here in the UK and even though I got the gait analysis etc. I'm just not 100% happy with the shoes. I would've been happy to stick with the same ones as before but they didn't have them there so am thinking about just buying the other shoes again...they're quite an old model at this stage though so don't think I'd get them in a store...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

While we're talking about runners does anyone know of a good shop for buying online? I got my previous pair of runners in Amphibian King in Ballymount and was really happy with them. I got the pair I'm in now here in the UK and even though I got the gait analysis etc. I'm just not 100% happy with the shoes. I would've been happy to stick with the same ones as before but they didn't have them there so am thinking about just buying the other shoes again...they're quite an old model at this stage though so don't think I'd get them in a store...

wiggle

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

If you already know what you want then try wiggle, runningwarehouse.eu and amazon - I got really lucky and found my old Adidas on sportsdirect for €37 (after being fitted for them in a popular running store and charged €165 about 10 months previously) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

I'm not saying you can't get good runners at a good price, but my opinion has always been that a good pair of runners is worth the money and that it is not an area to cheap out on.

You will be spending a lot of time in those shoes and their performance is absolutely vital to your success, if anything is worth a few extra euro it is the runners. :)

good point, thanks. I am looking on the website referenced earlier and see the price range for a decent pair seems to be around 140 euro - does this sound about right?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

This feels like a confession just to ease my own strange guilt....I’m skipping tomorrow’s 4m easy run....left calf still feels sore after Knockmaroon Hill...thanks...I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭yido1882

the ones I have been using for the past year (relatively cheap generic under armour shoes) are well past their sell by date so now is a good time to invest in a new pair as we are 10 weeks out from the DCM

I'd recommend the Run Hub if you're based in Dublin. They have shops in Ashtown and Aungier street.

They do gait analysis and will give you a few pairs of runners to try out. They'll ask you to run in each of them and make sure they're right for you and you'll decide which ones you like best.
    Their knowledge is excellent and they're not pushy at all.
    The staff are all runners themselves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭yido1882

I use a flip belt. I think a couple of others on here do too. I find it great and it sits nicely on your hips and doesn't move about which would annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

Sportsshoes.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

yido1882 wrote: »
    I use a flip belt. I think a couple of others on here do too. I find it great and it sits nicely on your hips and doesn't move about which would annoy me.

Can’t beat the flipbelt. For my first marathon I bought a High 5 belt from Amazon and that has these little loops that hold your gels in place and a pocket for the likes of zero tablets or whatever. It worked but i’ve Used the flipbelt non stop since Dublin last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

I'm sorry to be rattling on about the energy gels again. But I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm based in Galway and I can't seem to find any shops with someone that knows about gels and can advise on what to do/take. I've read on line about the different brands/types but I think I've over complicated things. I tried the kinetica ones last wk but they say only use 1-2 per day. And my understanding is I should be taking about 4 for the marathon (I'm open to correction on that). I'm open to buying them online but can only seem to find bulk buying and don't want to fork out 70 odd quid for something thats gonna make me ill. I know it's a case of trial and error and I've heard the horror stories of when gels go wrong so I want to get used to them before the big day. Any advice would be appreciated. Its starting to stress me out.

Helenasca wrote: »
    I'm sorry to be rattling on about the energy gels again. But I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm based in Galway and I can't seem to find any shops with someone that knows about gels and can advise on what to do/take. I've read on line about the different brands/types but I think I've over complicated things. I tried the kinetica ones last wk but they say only use 1-2 per day. And my understanding is I should be taking about 4 for the marathon (I'm open to correction on that). I'm open to buying them online but can only seem to find bulk buying and don't want to fork out 70 odd quid for something thats gonna make me ill. I know it's a case of trial and error and I've heard the horror stories of when gels go wrong so I want to get used to them before the big day. Any advice would be appreciated. Its starting to stress me out.

Are you anywhere near Halfords Helenasca? https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/training?cm_re=mmcycling-_-training-_-training

I buy gels in bulk but have you checked the likes of Wiggle? Start Fitness was another place I got them from in the UK. (Online I mean)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

https://highfive.co.uk/product/trialpacks/high5-run-pack/

There is dosage advice here, but be aware it is provided by the seller.

Kellygirl wrote:
    Are you anywhere near Halfords Helenasca?

I never even thought of there thanks so much. Ordered the high five set for collection tomor ready for Fri. Chrs
    skyblue46 wrote:
    There is dosage advice here, but be aware it is provided by the seller.

So having seen that at 63kg I should be taking 9 gels on the day. That sounds like an awful lot I'm not sure my stomach could take that?! I see why you said be aware.

I never even thought of there thanks so much. Ordered the high five set for collection tomor ready for Fri. Chrs

So having seen that at 63kg I should be taking 9 gels on the day. That sounds like an awful lot I'm not sure my stomach could take that?! I see why you said be aware.

I remember reading that last year and thinking I’d need 12 gels on the day :eek::eek:

Remember you will have carb loaded anyway so it’s just topping up carbs. I think I used 7 and that was probably excessive but I certainly wouldn’t have needed more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I picked up a couple of the High 5 ones in Elverys. They were something like €1.50 each, with a second half price. Just trial and error since, seeing what flavours i like, or what type (gel/isogel). May look to make a bulk purchase at some stage, but I'm still experimenting for now.

I don't think my belt could hold that many, not to mind my belly lol.

I don't think my belt could hold that many, not to mind my belly lol.

I was over-compensating for not taking enough in my first marathon. :D

Another point about gels is that there are two gel stations on the DCM route giving out High5 gels and isogels. Handy if they are the ones you are using but don’t try new ones on the day. It was one of the reasons I chose High 5 though last year. At the same time I wouldn’t rely on them as I was through one of the gel stations before realizing last year so easily missed.

Kellygirl wrote:
    Another point about gels is that there are two gel stations on the DCM route giving out High5 gels and isogels. Handy if they are the ones you are using but don’t try new ones on the day. It was one of the reasons I chose High 5 though last year. At the same time I wouldn’t rely on them as I was through one of the gel stations before realizing last year so easily missed.

That is really handy to know. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

sumsar wrote: »
    juke wrote: »

Body Glide for the chafing, it works!

9990020631.jpg

Thanks, I bought this on Monday after the advice on here, but I believe this is prevention rather than a cure so I'll use it when my thighs are better to prevent from happening again.. for now I'm working on healing my thighs ha.
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    I buy the Lanacane anti-chafing gel in Boots, which also soothes any chafing if you are buying it after the fact. It's really good stuff, also used it all summer when wearing summer dresses cos no matter how much running I do, these thighs are always gonna meet!

Thanks I'll look into that for this evening so, I've been using sudocrem but at this moment don't think a run would be viable so I'll pop into boots after work and get that and try a run with it.. hopefully goes well as I don't want to delay my runs too much.

Happy to report in and say that I managed a run this evening, I opted for 4.5 miles and fingers crossed another 4.5 tomorrow.

PS that bodyglide is an odd texture and not quite sure if I used it right.. Sure will figure this all out in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭blueberrypie

Keep an eye out in Lidl and Aldi specials.
    They stock the High5 gels at a cheaper price than the sports shops.

Love the isogel no water necessary !!

I use an identical belt to the flip bit but the brand is "Nathan" it is black I keep losing it when I pack away my running gear so I have ordered a new belt Ronhill brand in purple. I have been watching it dropping in price all year. Various sizes just under €14 at the moment.

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/ron2338/ronhill-stretch-waist-pocket/

I thought running was free!
    I have bought so much gear the last 2 months I am addicted to online shopping for running gear.

Advertisement