Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whiskey_sour

Thanks to those who recommended online shops! Can't find the exact shoe I like, it's a couple of years since I got them, wondering if just getting the more recent model would be a risky move....They're only 40 pound though so very tempting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Thanks to those who recommended online shops! Can't find the exact shoe I like, it's a couple of years since I got them, wondering if just getting the more recent model would be a risky move....They're only 40 pound though so very tempting!

As I've just learned, it can be risky. I got the newest model of an Asics pair - and the toe box is slightly narrower. Remains to be seen, but it just may make them too tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

juke wrote: »
    As I've just learned, it can be risky. I got the newest model of an Asics pair - and the toe box is slightly narrower. Remains to be seen, but it just may make them too tight.

My latest pair of Asics were the same. Toe box narrow. Started wearing them on shorter runs and kept my old ones for the LSR. I am wearing the newer ones all the time now and no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I did my LSR of 14 miles yesterday. All grand until about 17 km. Had to stop for a few minutes as my heart felt like it was beating exceptionally fast. Not sure what caused it as it was a very slow run. The last few kms were a struggle after that. Heart beat returned to normal after the run. Has this happened anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jimmy74

sumsar wrote: »
    Happy to report in and say that I managed a run this evening, I opted for 4.5 miles and fingers crossed another 4.5 tomorrow.

PS that bodyglide is an odd texture and not quite sure if I used it right.. Sure will figure this all out in time.

Bobyglide is definitely for pevention & will become one of the more essential items for running, great to prevent chaffing on nipples & between legs, rub on your waist if using a running belt, some will put on their foreheads/eyebrows to prevent sweat running into their eyes.can also be used on your toes if there rubbing against the toe box of your runners.

As regards cure for chaffing, try "Bepanthen".
    You'll find it in most baby sections of super markets of chemist's, its a bit oily so maybe use with old clothes.
    It's a nappy care ointment for babies with really sore bums but works a treat for bad chaffing & in my experience provides great relief

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Helenasca wrote: »
    So having seen that at 63kg I should be taking 9 gels on the day. That sounds like an awful lot I'm not sure my stomach could take that?! I see why you said be aware.

I'm pretty sure I've never used more than 3 gels in any race, and usually it's just 1 or 2. Any more and I start gagging at the mere thought of yet another gel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Just maybe do your research first. I got caught out too buying new versions of the ones I was wearing in that the toe box had reduced in size too. Google a bit and find comparison reviews if you can between the pair you have and the version you want to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Just maybe do your research first. I got caught out too buying new versions of the ones I was wearing in that the toe box had reduced in size too. Google a bit and find comparison reviews if you can between the pair you have and the version you want to buy.

As tempted as I have always been, I’ve tended to shy away so far from online purchases for that very reason. Heck, I recall two pairs of the same shoes feeling different on trying them on!! I’m lucky with Kildare Village close by. Plenty of options there between ASICS, Nike, New Balance and others such as Under Armor and Puma at the moment. Probably saved the cost of a pair of shoes getting decent savings at the right time there. I’ve just gone by general feel and comfort when it came and what worked. Has worked out okay (although I often wonder did I pick up some niggles due to a this blazee way of doing it) and only once did I make a mistake with going half a size too small. At least that pair were rather sedate and I now use them for general usage.

That said, with the marathon and the expanded runtime I have given heavy consideration to going into getting the gait checked in a run shop to see where I actually am at. Just need to make the time to go and do it and get up where it can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Keep an eye out in Lidl and Aldi specials.
    They stock the High5 gels at a cheaper price than the sports shops.

Love the isogel no water necessary !!

I use an identical belt to the flip bit but the brand is "Nathan" it is black I keep losing it when I pack away my running gear so I have ordered a new belt Ronhill brand in purple. I have been watching it dropping in price all year. Various sizes just under €14 at the moment.

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/ron2338/ronhill-stretch-waist-pocket/

I thought running was free!
    I have bought so much gear the last 2 months I am addicted to online shopping for running gear.

Running free now there's a joke :D I use that Ronhill belt. I like it, it holds everything i need it too and is comfortable etc.. I usually carry my phone, car key, some tissues and occasionally one of the small 250ml bottles of water in it. I've never used a FlipBelt so i can't compare but it looks similar except the FlipBelt now have a version with Zips and the Ronhill one doesn't have zips. The purple looks nice, i have blue :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I like your lists - as I'm sure everyone else does. It's great to see how each person is getting on.

However, having a log here is great for so many reasons, do it!

Cheers juke, I finally got around to this and made one! I see you have one up there as well, so I'll be following that with interest. (The toenail fairy?? :eek:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Who’s the best person to PM about the Strava group? Joined the last day or so, must upload my Garmin mileage soon.

aloooof wrote: »
    Cheers juke, I finally got around to this and made one! I see you have one up there as well, so I'll be following that with interest. (The toenail fairy?? :eek:)

:D Battle scars.

Looking forward to seeing your updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Who’s the best person to PM about the Strava group? Joined the last day or so, must upload my Garmin mileage soon.

skyblue46 should be able to sort you out.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Yeah send me a pm so I can connect you to a Strava name. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Yeah send me a pm so I can connect you to a Strava name. Cheers.

Thank you sir! Sorry my inbox was full so didn't get your PM back. Looking forward to seeing how everyone is doing.

Thank you sir! Sorry my inbox was full so didn't get your PM back. Looking forward to seeing how everyone is doing.

No worries. :-) Now all you have to do is start uploading your own runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Was out running last night, I had done 11 miles last week (9 mins per mile), and felt I could go on. Plenty of hills, etc as part of the run.

Last night, and at 8.5 miles I was spent. I literally had very little if not nothing left. I was hoping to do 13 miles.

Has me worried now.

Anybody experienced this?

Was out running last night, I had done 11 miles last week (9 mins per mile), and felt I could go on. Plenty of hills, etc as part of the run.

Last night, and at 8.5 miles I was spent. I literally had very little if not nothing left. I was hoping to do 13 miles.

Has me worried now.

Firstly remember everyone has bad days. This could just have been one.

Without anything else to put the two runs in context it's hard to delve further. What was your training load like in the days leading up to these runs? How does 9 minute miles relate to your MP? Is it faster, slower or a PMP run?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

seriously down in the dumps. Since my run I cut short last week, been really sick. No energy whatsoever and out of work. With work going on in house and pregnant wife, not much time either to recover.

At this stage will be hope to get up to 18-20m (if even) before the big day and hope to get through it all on the day itself

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Firstly remember everyone has bad days. This could just have been one.

Without anything else to put the two runs in context it's hard to delve further. What was your training load like in the days leading up to these runs? How does 9 minute miles relate to your MP? Is it faster, slower or a PMP run?

Yeah it might just have been a bad day. I felt lethargic from the minute I left my house and it was a real struggle.

Training load was relatively comparable, I had taken 2 nights off before last night though - I am pretty sure the previous week I did an easy 3 miles the night before. (I was late in work the night before last so I didn't get to do the short run).

I felt good at 9 minutes per mile last week, at 11 miles I was tempted to go on and do 12.

Hoping for 3:45 marathon or there abouts. Have done 4 hrs before.

Maybe it was just a bad night. Fingers crossed. I'll try again on Sunday maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,474 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Has me worried now.

Definitely, it could be food intake, it could be a slight bug you are fighting off but don't have any other symptoms. I've had days I feel like I could keep on going forever and others its a struggle to get going at all.
    What I would say if if you have a few of these back to back, take a day or two extra off, eat well and watch some running videos on youtube!, you may just need a little extra recovery time.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

seriously down in the dumps. Since my run I cut short last week, been really sick. No energy whatsoever and out of work. With work going on in house and pregnant wife, not much time either to recover.

At this stage will be hope to get up to 18-20m (if even) before the big day and hope to get through it all on the day itself

Sorry to hear that you are feeling so crappy BBM. Sickness can be a real pain in the backside when marathon training as you feel that you are stopped/falling behind when everyone else is running, but hopefully you will be feeling better in a few days time and back running soon. You still have plenty of time to train and you are probably well on the road with a lot of miles done already (the body won't forget that).

Hopefully you will be grand in a weeks time, just put this down as a bad week and try to stay positive. Believe me it is better to be sick now than a week before the DCM ;). You will be back running in no time.

Note to all Novices, mind the immune system in the coming weeks and get plenty of vitamin C/Cod Liver Oil/whatever your Witch Doctor advises. As it is normal for some of us to hit a bit of a bad patch illness wise and miss a week or two training as a result. Eat and sleep well too.....red wine acts as a good sleeping tablet too ...... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Picked up a few of these earlier in one of the local supermarkets. They're less than 1 lev each which works out at around 45 cents per bar. Insanely cheap!!
    Planning on trying one tomorrow after my lsr. If they do the trick (not sure exactly how I'll be able to determine this), going to bring home a job lot!! :D

Anyone heard of them before?

20180817_153220_zpszpvwixat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Well it's a high five to the high5 energy gels from me. I did my longest ever run tonight at 22.5 km and felt great finishing it. Took 2 caffeine gels at 6k and 12k and a normal gel at 18k and really felt a difference. Last year when I did my half marathon I really struggled. I know I wouldn't normally need to take them for that distance but getting trial and error out of the way.

But I'm feeling great now and so optimistic for the next couple of weeks. Let's just hope it wasn't a fluke lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

ariana` wrote: »
    A decent shoe for one person isn't necessarily a decent shoe for someone else. It's advisable to go to a good running store and get a shoe recommended for you individually. Some shops do gait analysis, it might cost €20 but if you buy a pair of runners they'll take that off the cost of them. It's worth doing gait analysis at least once to get a feel for what type of runner you need - neutral, cushioned, stability etc.

We're all different in how we run and our needs vary depending on event we're training for too, the kind of mileage we'll be doing in them etc. It depends where you're based but if you let us know i'm sure a good running shop can be recommended.

I agree 100% with you Ariana I had a huge eye opener when I went to Run Hub and had a gait analysis
    1, I was wearing the wrong size runner
    2, wrong heel drop for my Achilles issue
    3, I need support runners BUT not all runners will suit you! I tried on 7 pairs of support runners only 3 pairs suited me and gave me the support I needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Baby75 wrote: »
    I agree 100% with you Ariana I had a huge eye opener when I went to Run Hub and had a gait analysis
    1, I was wearing the wrong size runner
    2, wrong heel drop for my Achilles issue
    3, I need support runners BUT not all runners will suit you! I tried on 7 pairs of support runners only 3 pairs suited me and gave me the support I needed.

The run hub are amazing. I can't recommend them highly enough.

I did my 16 mile lsr this morning. I took an isogel at mile 5 and at mile 10. No major problems with them, few cramps but no code green or worse code brown moments! I'm sure I'll get used to them.

I felt very tired at the end of the run. It has me a little worried about managing the 18 mile lsr.
    Is this tiredness to be expected? Should I have taken a gel at mile 15 as well as the other times. I don't think I could stomach 3 of them though.
    Thanks guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭blueberrypie

I had one of the worst runs this morning and it is my own fault.
    I completed 5 runs as per DCM plan which I rarely do as I average 3/4 a week
    and on top of that I never carb loaded at all yesterday.

This morning I only brought one gel and a pack of jellies after having my porridge. If I had my phone I would have rang my husband to just collect me at mile 10 I knew it wasn't in me.
    I told the group I was with to just run on as it wasn't fair. They were doing 20 miles. I just ran walked the last 6 miles.

Lesson learnt:
    carb load
    bring phone
    stop trying to lose weight
    no need for 5 runs
    keep pace for lsr

Clonmel next weekend so that will be different

I did my 16 mile lsr this morning. I took an isogel at mile 5 and at mile 10. No major problems with them, few cramps but no code green or worse code brown moments! I'm sure I'll get used to them.

I felt very tired at the end of the run. It has me a little worried about managing the 18 mile lsr.
    Is this tiredness to be expected? Should I have taken a gel at mile 15 as well as the other times. I don't think I could stomach 3 of them though.
    Thanks guys.

I did the same LSR, the last 5k nearly killed me. I tool glucose tablets & fruit pastilles (plus an electrolyte drink). I feel very much like you, daunted by the distance, but trying to convincing myself to 'trust the plan' and it will get us around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thanks guys.

What about carrying some jelly babies or haribos too. I used like the sports jelly beans too and have one or two in between gels.

Tiredness is natural though as you are training during the week, not fully carb loaded, prob not sleeping as well as you’d like etc. you’ll be just fine for the 18 miles. I think the last couple of miles of any run can often be tiring.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.

A gel at 15 miles wouldn't have had time to get into the system and get to work so wouldn't have been any point in taking one then. You'll get around the 18 miles no problem. Just remember there is no pressure to hold any particular pace, slow down towards the end if you feel you need to.

Advertisement