Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Thanks so much everyone for the advice.

I usually carry some candy with me which I omitted this morning in my efforts to give these isogels a proper try. I'll have my little belt properly stocked for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Hopefully this week is going well for everyone. It’s good to hear I’m not the only one really feeling the strain, I’ve been so tired all week. Some calf and hip pain, but I think the two rest days and the Pilates class are helping to hold my body together.
    I done my LSR last night - some of the girls in my club were heading out for 12 miles and I couldn’t face another lone run today so I went with them.
    I think they picked the hilliest, windiest route in South Dublin! I decided to add an extra mile onto the 16, as I was still a bit away from my car and didn’t fancy walking it.
    Absolute disaster when I stopped, I hit finish on the Strava app on my Apple Watch, the distance and time flashed up (17.1 miles, 3:19:00) and then it went blank. No lie I spent half the night researching how to get the lost run back so it would show on the app!!! :(
    Today I went out for my recovery 3 miles, 2 minutes in and last nights LSR popped up on my phone asking if I wanted to save it :D Urgh technology hates me :S
    this morning’s 3 miles felt like 20, it was never-ending! Planning a quiet night out tonight ;) and a complete rest day tomorrow, I’m really looking forward to doing nothing for a whole day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

I forgot to say I had a pack of Clif gel blocs on my LSR, I took one bloc every 40 minutes (total 4)
    I also had a mini mars bar with me but didn’t eat it as I wasn’t hungry (I do be absolutely starving on my morning runs and usually have it around the 10 mile point)
    I always make sure that I have a pint of chocolate milk in the boot of my car for after every long run - I swear the thoughts of this beautiful, cold, refreshingly chocolate drink gets me thru the last 3 miles every time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well folks, I'm getting in early as i expect to be a bit distracted tomorrow hopefully cheering my home county to an all Ireland win :)

I know some of you found the long run challenging this week. Firstly remember we all have the odd bad run so don't panic - the good news is that the bad runs make us tougher!

Don't worry about getting to 18 miles next week even if you struggled with 16m this week. It's a fact that the last 2-3 miles will always be tough, honestly if you're psyched up for 10m you get tired at 8m and if you're psyched up for 18m you get tired at 16m - it's a scientific fact believe me (ok well maybe not scientific :p)!

Some things i use to help me through the latter stages of my long run which may help you:
    - Lately i've been joining park run for the last 3 miles, this breaks up the run and always perks me up to have the company at the end
    - I think of the ice cold chocolate milk waiting for me
    - I think of all the people who'll be checking up on me on strava later in the day or reading my training log
    - I imagine i'm running the last couple of miles of DCM and the feeling crossing the line
    - I remember all the reasons i signed up for DCM and all the people rooting for me and how proud they'll be when i finish

These are just some things that help me fwiw :)

Week 9:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun
    NNH1|rest|3m easy|6m easy|3m easy|rest|15m lsr|cross
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|4m easy|1m w/u +6m pace + 1m c/d|4m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|18m lsr|2m rec

So week 9 and the half-way point in your journey to marathon success, i hope you all have an amazing week. Best of luck to any running 10-from-10 tomorrow - as always do please report back :)

ariana` wrote: »
    Well folks, I'm getting in early as i expect to be a bit distracted tomorrow hopefully cheering my home county to an all Ireland win :)

I know some of you found the long run challenging this week. Firstly remember we all have the odd bad run so don't panic - the good news is that the bad runs make us tougher!

Don't worry about getting to 18 miles next week even if you struggled with 16m this week. It's a fact that the last 2-3 miles will always be tough, honestly if you're psyched up for 10m you get tired at 8m and if you're psyched up for 18m you get tired at 16m - it's a scientific fact believe me (ok well maybe not scientific :p)!

Some things i use to help me through the latter stages of my long run which may help you:
    - Lately i've been joining park run for the last 3 miles, this breaks up the run and always perks me up to have the company at the end
    - I think of the ice cold chocolate milk waiting for me
    - I think of all the people who'll be checking up on me on strava later in the day or reading my training log
    - I imagine i'm running the last couple of miles of DCM and the feeling crossing the line
    - I remember all the reasons i signed up for DCM and all the people rooting for me and how proud they'll be when i finish

These are just some things that help me fwiw :)

Week 9:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun
    NNH1|rest|3m easy|6m easy|3m easy|rest|15m lsr|cross
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|4m easy|1m w/u +6m pace + 1m c/d|4m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|18m lsr|2m rec

So week 9 and the half-way point in your journey to marathon success, i hope you all have an amazing week. Best of luck to any running 10-from-10 tomorrow - as always do please report back :)

Thank you ariana. As always your words are so reassuring and encouraging.

Enjoy the game tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,474 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks ariana` , starting to hit serious distances on the LSR's now, a bit scary but so was a mere 10k to us all once!
    Sitting here with a slice of toast a bit frightened by todays upcoming LSR run...Sure it'll be grand and so will the pizza tonight :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Supercell wrote: »
    Thanks ariana` , starting to hit serious distances on the LSR's now, a bit scary but so was a mere 10k to us all once!
    Sitting here with a slice of toast a bit frightened by todays upcoming LSR run...Sure it'll be grand and so will the pizza tonight :D

Are you doing more miles either side of the Kilcock race?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Are you doing more miles either side of the Kilcock race?

Yep, undecided wheter I'll do 6+10 or 3+10+3. Looks like its going to be very warm so leaning towards doing them first.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

Enjoyed the 16 miles today, much better than the 16 miles a few weeks ago. I took in 12 miles of the start of the marathon route. Found st Laurence’s Road tough, and that was at Lsr pace. I had forgotten there was a hill there, and was feeling a bit tired at that point so maybe it was just that.

Had a bagel, almond butter and banana before my long run, definitely felt fuller for longer than porridge so might try it as breakfast for the half marathon in Sept as a trial run for marathon morning... 😬 eek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Whats the deal with this Tailwind stuff? I'd never heard the word 2 weeks ago now I'm hearing it everywhere, is it actually any good or just another fad?

• Advertisement

Did an easy 6 miles before the Kilcock 10 miler. Perfect conditions, actually felt easier than the RnR monster hill session last weekend. Feeling a big smug :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Whats the deal with this Tailwind stuff? I'd never heard the word 2 weeks ago now I'm hearing it everywhere, is it actually any good or just another fad?

Ah it's just that Ireland's biggest tailwind fan follows the thread! :pac::pac: She has everyone on it now. Great commission she gets....it's like having a Tupperware party :)

Seriously though, it does seem to be getting excellent reviews from many quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Did my long run yesterday morning as opposed to today as had a hen party. 14 miles with very heavy legs as I did a charity run on Friday evening of 7k and pushed a bit too hard. Legs took a good 6 miles to wake up. Felt ok for 12 miles but ended up walking up a few hills as the thighs were burning! Last 2 miles were tough and it was only really the thought of a sweet delicious cold Lucozade sport that got me through it!

Weekly milage this week: 27 miles

Getting a sports massage tomorrow mostly for a knotted shoulder I have from sitting at my desk grrr but will ask her to get into glutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 karenlynn0000

Great to find this. I am training for my first marathon and have been plagued with patella tendonitis that keeps coming back. Any advice out there much appreciated, Karen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

Really enjoyed the 10 Mile in Kilcock. Didn’t stick my initial plan at all in the end. Way back, the plan was to treat it as an LSR running with my wife. However that changed with the extra passenger on board and she eventually decided to pull out of it. So over the past few weeks I planed to still treat it as an LSR with Tullamore next week.

Had a brainstorm yesterday that given I had a 13/14K run in the middle of the week at PMP, I would instead do that for Kilcock to really take it handy next week ahead of Tullamore....

Which led to this morning. Took it handy for the first kilometre. Somehow found myself at the tail end of the group with the 8min/Mile pacer. So I just settled in to a pace fo about 5K/kilometre. I was very comfy and just shadowed that group from a distance. As the race went on, just found myself picking people off (this after feeling like a total amateur watching people doing laps around the track prior to the race) and the pace remained really consistent. After dropping back from that pacer group, I found myself back with them from about the sixth mile as we skirted near Maynooth College. Stuck with them up the two hills over the motorway and railway until the last water station. Great verbal support from him to those who had gone with him the entire way. After the water station and into the last two klicks I just pushed on towards the finish to sneak in under the 80 mins.

Finished strong and felt really good. Only thing I messed up on was letting a small unopened packet of hairibo jellies slip from my hand. I wasn’t reliant on needing them. I just found them in the press last night and said I’d bring them.

I think I needed a good run to be honest. Found this week mentally tough at times when training so to put in a great run today definitely helped the ego. I’m going to take it pretty handy on the two runs this week I have planned to have a proper go at Tullamore on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Great to read all the posts about everyone's lsr and races this weekend. It helps to read that it is not just me who is struggling for the last couple of miles of the lsr.

My calf feels very tight since yesterday, have Pilates this evening so hoping that will help. I should be running 3 miles as per the plan today but going to walk the distance after class this evening and hopefully the calf will be good.

Looking forward to the 15 mile lsr on Wednesday morning. 3 loops of a 8 km route I have done many times. Just want to stay close to home for this one.

Have a great week of training everyone. Week 9 already. It's flying by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭roosterman71

This weekend on my plan is a half marathon. Should that be done as an LSR, or MP, or just go for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

This weekend on my plan is a half marathon. Should that be done as an LSR, or MP, or just go for it?

I've a half marathon as well this weekend. It's my last race before DCM, so going to give it a proper go. Should hopefully give a gauge as to where I'm at target wise for DCM. Doing a mini taper for it too, so switching out the PMP run for Strides, and cutting back the Easy runs by a mile or two.

After all my moaning about feeling tired after the 16 mile lsr on Saturday, I was thrilled to see the reason why-my weekly mileage hit the 40's for last week. As you might suspect, that's a big deal for me. Oh yeah!!!!

We are heading down the country for a few days later so I did my Wednesday run this morning. I don't know yet where I'll be able to run so I wanted to get the important midweek run done and dusted. I could be lapping the hotel grounds tomorrow!

Can I ask where are people planning to run their lsr's this coming weekend? I usually head to the PP but I'm guessing I won't be allowed in this weekend with the Pope visiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Can I ask where are people planning to run their lsr's this coming weekend? I usually head to the PP but I'm guessing I won't be allowed in this weekend with the Pope visiting.

I think even getting near the park would be a nightmare. If you're on the southside, you could run some of the marathon route? Park at Walkinstown roundabout, run to Clonskeagh, and either turn around at the top and retrace your steps or continue around UCD, to the bus depot in Donnybrook, left along Beaver Row then back on to the route and retrace your steps from there? Familiarity with the route is always useful.

(If you're on the northside, probably too much hassle to navigate the closures)

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    I think even getting near the park would be a nightmare. If you're on the southside, you could run some of the marathon route? Park at Walkinstown roundabout, run to Clonskeagh, and either turn around at the top and retrace your steps or continue around UCD, to the bus depot in Donnybrook, left along Beaver Row then back on to the route and retrace your steps from there? Familiarity with the route is always useful.

Thanks Ray. I'm Northside but you've just given me an idea and I might try and join the DCM route from where I'm based.

Thanks Ray. I'm Northside but you've just given me an idea and I might try and join the DCM route from where I'm based.

on Saturday?

on Saturday?

Yes....

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Aoifemcc19

The run hub are amazing. I can't recommend them highly enough.

I did my 16 mile lsr this morning. I took an isogel at mile 5 and at mile 10. No major problems with them, few cramps but no code green or worse code brown moments! I'm sure I'll get used to them.

I felt very tired at the end of the run. It has me a little worried about managing the 18 mile lsr.
    Is this tiredness to be expected? Should I have taken a gel at mile 15 as well as the other times. I don't think I could stomach 3 of them though.
    Thanks guys.

Don’t get too stressed about your 18 mile you’ll do it no prob. In fact the runs I get stressed about I’m finding I’m doing better on than the ones I don’t even think about. The 18 miles I did I minded myself the day before, ate well, bed early, was so prepped for it as I was BEYOND dreading it so took loads of gels & a bounty (my new go too) with me and I took it mile at a time!!

My 13 miles last week felt mentally like a non event and I don’t know what I did but at mile 10 got hit with stomach cramps and struggled big time the last 3 miles and felt dead the rest of the day!! I suppose what I’m trying to say is a little nerves around a LSR a good thing ;-)

Yes....

getting on to the route might be okay, wouldn't fancy getting back through town though...

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I got up on Sunday morning at 9:30, made my wife breakfast in bed, emptied the bins, fed the rabbit, emptied the dishwasher, swept the floor and amassed a load of brownie points....was in the good books for the day.

The real reason I did all that was that I needed to fully charge my Garmin for the LSR I was doing.......so sly.....so clever.....:D

#Work-Life balance

• Registered Users Posts: 19 braynewbie

Hi all 👋, I'm new to the group having just heard about it ðŸ˜. This is my first foray into marathon territory, I run 4 times a week and currently my long run is around 14 miles. I've been running for two years and in a moment of madness I signed up for this. I am both terrified and excited in equal measures! My only goal at the moment is to finish, I'm not bothered yet what the time for this will be but that might change as the event gets closer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Raycun, is running part of the route something that's recommended? I could easily incorporate some of the southside route, but subconsciously, may be deliberately avoiding it :o

juke wrote: »
    Raycun, is running part of the route something that's recommended? I could easily incorporate some of the southside route, but subconsciously, may be deliberately avoiding it :o

Definitely. It makes a big difference knowing there's a hill just around the corner but it doesn't last long, or that after the next turn there's a long straight. Some bits aren't very runnable when the roads are open, but I would try to run

- in the park a couple of times, incorporating Chesterfield from the zoo to Castleknock. It's a long drag that you should be aware of. Because it's so early in the course, on race day you'll be feeling full of energy when you get there. You should be slowing down a little on this section to conserve energy, and if you run it in training you'll have more respect for the drag.

- from Dolphin's Barn all the way to the UCD flyover. Dolphin's Barn is not a great place to start, but the Crumlin road is another drag and usually into the wind. best to expect it and be prepared for it. From Walkinstown to Dartry is all very flat, but also very runnable on a normal weekend. Then there's a downhill to the Dodder, a hill back up again, down to the Dodder again, up through Clonskeagh, down Fosters Avenue, and over the flyover. The hills aren't bad - coming up through Milltown is a bit hard, and there's a short sharp one at Roebuck - but the better you know them the easier they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

juke wrote: »

Raycun has given you some insightful information already but just to give another perspective for anyone who isn't based in Dublin! I hadn't run any of the course last year before the big day. And while we had been given a very detailed recce of the course here (which we will do again this year) it meant very little to me as my geography of Dublin is pretty poor (the one and only other time i ran in Dublin was in the PP and i got lost :o) but i don't think it held me back on the day in any way. Ignorance can be bliss at times :P I knew enough and was smart enough to have a good well paced run with a negative split ;)

Advertisement