Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

braynewbie wrote: »
    Hi all ��, I'm new to the group having just heard about it ðŸ˜. This is my first foray into marathon territory, I run 4 times a week and currently my long run is around 14 miles. I've been running for two years and in a moment of madness I signed up for this. I am both terrified and excited in equal measures! My only goal at the moment is to finish, I'm not bothered yet what the time for this will be but that might change as the event gets closer.

Hi braynewbie welcome to the group. Are you following a plan at the moment? Terrified and excited in equal measures sounds like a very familiar and normal feeling at this stage ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 braynewbie

ariana` wrote: »
    Hi braynewbie welcome to the group. Are you following a plan at the moment? Terrified and excited in equal measures sounds like a very familiar and normal feeling at this stage ;)

Thanks for the welcome ðŸ˜. Yes I have a plan, I did the rnr half last week so I'm slowly building my miles from that now. I've done a few halves but this is my first marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Aoifemcc19 wrote: »
    Don’t get too stressed about your 18 mile you’ll do it no prob. In fact the runs I get stressed about I’m finding I’m doing better on than the ones I don’t even think about. The 18 miles I did I minded myself the day before, ate well, bed early, was so prepped for it as I was BEYOND dreading it so took loads of gels & a bounty (my new go too) with me and I took it mile at a time!!

My 13 miles last week felt mentally like a non event and I don’t know what I did but at mile 10 got hit with stomach cramps and struggled big time the last 3 miles and felt dead the rest of the day!! I suppose what I’m trying to say is a little nerves around a LSR a good thing ;-)

Thanks Aoife. I'd say any new distance will have me feeling totalled in the last few miles. I might rob your idea of the bounty. Delish! Mmmm. Once I get a route sorted for my lsr, it will all fall into place. I know I'll feel awesome once it's completed. 18 miles!!!!

RayCun wrote: »
    getting on to the route might be okay, wouldn't fancy getting back through town though...

Yup, I reckon I'm gonna have to be very creative this weekend to get my miles in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Just registered for the Ratoath half marathon.
    Any other takers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    This weekend on my plan is a half marathon. Should that be done as an LSR, or MP, or just go for it?

I've a half marathon as well this weekend. It's my last race before DCM, so going to give it a proper go. Should hopefully give a gauge as to where I'm at target wise for DCM. Doing a mini taper for it too, so switching out the PMP run for Strides, and cutting back the Easy runs by a mile or two.

Hey. Im also doing a half this weekend and was a bit unsure of how i should approach this weeks training. I am planning on racing it and between the warm up and warm down i will get the miles in. I am following the boards plan and i was going to do the following.
    Mon 7 miles easy.
    Tue 3 miles easy
    Wed 8 miles easy.
    Thurs 4 miles easy
    Fri Rest
    Sat 2 miles easy.
    Sun Race.
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

RayCun wrote: »
    Definitely. It makes a big difference knowing there's a hill just around the corner but it doesn't last long, or that after the next turn there's a long straight. Some bits aren't very runnable when the roads are open, but I would try to run

- in the park a couple of times, incorporating Chesterfield from the zoo to Castleknock. It's a long drag that you should be aware of. Because it's so early in the course, on race day you'll be feeling full of energy when you get there. You should be slowing down a little on this section to conserve energy, and if you run it in training you'll have more respect for the drag.

- from Dolphin's Barn all the way to the UCD flyover. Dolphin's Barn is not a great place to start, but the Crumlin road is another drag and usually into the wind. best to expect it and be prepared for it. From Walkinstown to Dartry is all very flat, but also very runnable on a normal weekend. Then there's a downhill to the Dodder, a hill back up again, down to the Dodder again, up through Clonskeagh, down Fosters Avenue, and over the flyover. The hills aren't bad - coming up through Milltown is a bit hard, and there's a short sharp one at Roebuck - but the better you know them the easier they are.
    ariana` wrote: »
    Raycun has given you some insightful information already but just to give another perspective for anyone who isn't based in Dublin! I hadn't run any of the course last year before the big day. And while we had been given a very detailed recce of the course here (which we will do again this year) it meant very little to me as my geography of Dublin is pretty poor (the one and only other time i ran in Dublin was in the PP and i got lost :o) but i don't think it held me back on the day in any way. Ignorance can be bliss at times :P I knew enough and was smart enough to have a good well paced run with a negative split ;)

Thanks. I've a 29k LSR this week, so I'm going to run to Dolphin's Barn (c. 8k) joining the DSM route at about 20k and take it from there towards UCD and then maybe turn home. Daunting :o

I've written it, it must now happen ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

My program is looking for a 10mile race on Saturday 25th August, 5 days away. Anyone know of one? Could swap my weeks around and do the Frank Duffy on the following weekend if I could still wrangle an entry...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

sann wrote: »
    Hey. Im also doing a half this weekend and was a bit unsure of how i should approach this weeks training. I am planning on racing it and between the warm up and warm down i will get the miles in. I am following the boards plan and i was going to do the following.
    Mon 7 miles easy.
    Tue 3 miles easy
    Wed 8 miles easy.
    Thurs 4 miles easy
    Fri Rest
    Sat 2 miles easy.
    Sun Race.
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks.

That looks good. Nothing too strenuous. Have a good one. Looking forward to the race report.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

skyblue46 wrote: »
    sann wrote: »
    Mon 7 miles easy.
    Tue 3 miles easy
    Wed 8 miles easy.
    Thurs 4 miles easy
    Fri Rest
    Sat 2 miles easy.
    Sun Race.
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks.

That looks good. Nothing too strenuous. Have a good one. Looking forward to the race report.

Thanks. Will be sure to report on Sunday eve when the dust settles. Be it good, bad, or ugly!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭roosterman71

• What is the best isogel to try? Was going to order some but don't want to order crap. What size should each gel be?
    • I've a half marathon this weekend which fits in nicely with my training plan. Should it be run as an LSR, or MP, or go faster and see what I'm capable of?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

• What is the best isogel to try? Was going to order some but don't want to order crap. What size should each gel be?
    • I've a half marathon this weekend which fits in nicely with my training plan. Should it be run as an LSR, or MP, or go faster and see what I'm capable of?

What does your plan say you should do? Is it down as a HM or as a 13 mile lsr? If it is asking you for a HM race then race it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

coogy wrote: »
    Just registered for the Ratoath half marathon.
    Any other takers?

yes, i'm also planning on doing this. it was either this or the blessington half on the same day & prefer the earlier start for ratoath. i assume ratoath should be a bit flatter as well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Thanks so much everyone for the advice.

I usually carry some candy with me which I omitted this morning in my efforts to give these isogels a proper try. I'll have my little belt properly stocked for next week.

Fizzy Cola's, I'm telling ya, they're the business! ;)

Can I ask where are people planning to run their lsr's this coming weekend? I usually head to the PP but I'm guessing I won't be allowed in this weekend with the Pope visiting.

I'm planning to run out the Clontarf Road along the waterfront towards Bayside / Sutton and back in, maybe adding in Bull Island as well, but I'd be interested any feedback if anyone has done this before?

I've only done it once before and it's pretty flat but I fear it could be very windy if you get a bad day.

aloooof wrote: »
    Fizzy Cola's, I'm telling ya, they're the business! ;)

Ha ha!!!!!
    Next time I see them I'll have to stock up.
    I'll be like Mr Wonka on my next lsr!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Do people think fizzy cola's etc are just as good as energy gels?
    If not, does anyone know what flavour of High5 energy gels are given out during the marathon? I'd hate to take one flavour and have something totally different thrown at me the day of the marathon!!

If not, does anyone know what flavour of High5 energy gels are given out during the marathon? I'd hate to take one flavour and have something totally different thrown at me the day of the marathon!!

Apologies, this is just a bit of an in-joke, so I'd by no means suggest they're as good as energy gels (unfortunately!! :)). I've never taken any gels, but I'd imagine they're far more effective as they're specifically designed for fueling long distance runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Apologies, this is just a bit of an in-joke, so I'd by no means suggest they're as good as energy gels (unfortunately!! :)). I've never taken any gels, but I'd imagine they're far more effective as they're specifically designed for fueling long distance runs.

In your defence, I do find jellies etc very useful up to a point! :)

In your defence, I do find jellies etc very useful up to a point! :)

Definitely still worth trying out on the long runs, I reckon! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

I just went to sign up for the 3/4 marathon as my last 20 mile LSR before taper, and noticed they don't have pacers slower than 4:30 this year :(
    Is there any point in paying €50 if I'm going to be pacing myself, or am I better off just sticking to doing the marathon route on my own?
    Disappointed, I've heard great things about this race, it's one I was looking forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I'm planning to run out the Clontarf Road along the waterfront towards Bayside / Sutton and back in, maybe adding in Bull Island as well, but I'd be interested any feedback if anyone has done this before?

I've only done it once before and it's pretty flat but I fear it could be very windy if you get a bad day.

I've done all my pace runs from Grand Canal, out along the sea front, into St Anne's and back and I've only had one windy day. I think the wind will, unfortunately, more usually be an issue on the way back. I also did the Clontarf Half and despite it being a hot day, I found coming off or on (can't remember which direction) Bull Island quite windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

bluestone wrote: »
    yes, i'm also planning on doing this. it was either this or the blessington half on the same day & prefer the earlier start for ratoath. i assume ratoath should be a bit flatter as well

Yes, I've heard it's quote a flat route alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

juke wrote: »
    Thanks. I've a 29k LSR this week, so I'm going to run to Dolphin's Barn (c. 8k) joining the DSM route at about 20k and take it from there towards UCD and then maybe turn home. Daunting :o

I've written it, it must now happen ;)

I did almost exactly this on Saturday for my LSR! I can't say it was pleasant, but that was more because I was feeling bleh than that the route was too tough, so I'm sure you'll be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I think it was orange High 5s last year. Thing is I wouldn’t rely on those gels stops as so easily missed. I missed the first one last year and only realized when I was sticking to the road! Even the next one I was having a random chat with some fella who spotted the gels and grabbed one for each of us. I carried enough gels and only planned on taking them in case I dropped one or something but I’d be careful about factoring them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 braynewbie

I'm still trying to catch up on the previous 130 or so pages so if I ask a stupid question that's already been asked apologies in advance :)

On another note, I had a crappy run today, was supposed to do 10 mins warm up then 60 mins @ 9min miles then 10 mins cool down. Couldn't get into a rhythm at all, had to walk a couple of times coz just couldn't get it together, then I stopped coz I absolutley had to pee and had a pint of water while I was there, that seemed to help and I took off again at a great pace. Unfortunately I had turned off my watch by accident, I realised quite quickly so turned it on again but then I mathsed all wrong so ended up being short by approx 12 mins!!!! What a crap run!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Back from my holidays in Portugal and while the holiday was amazing, the running didn't go fully to plan. I started in Lagos which had a strong breeze coming from the Atlantic which made it feel cooler than it was. I managed to do all my runs, incl 16m lsr. The lsr wasn't proper though as I kept stopping to take photos of one of the most scenic clifftop trails I've ever been on. - over the Ponta da Piedade if anyone is familiar with the area. Managed to view the sunrise over it too and felt so lucky because without running I wouldn't have had that experience.

Unfortunately the next area I went to was extremely hot and much busier schedule which meant I missed on one short run and my lsr. I hope it doesn't affect my training too much and that I can get back on the 'proverbial' track :o I think I might play it safe this weekend and do the 16m run rather than the 18m as I've yet to do a proper 16 miles.

Gonna do the RISC study tomorrow which should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Just something I've been thinking about after reading so many other people doing races. Is it important to include these? I'm based in Galway so the race series isn't an option. I'm doing a 3/4 marathon on Oct 6th but other than that I didn't have any other races planned. Should I be rethinking this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Helenasca wrote: »
    Just something I've been thinking about after reading so many other people doing races. Is it important to include these? I'm based in Galway so the race series isn't an option. I'm doing a 3/4 marathon on Oct 6th but other than that I didn't have any other races planned. Should I be rethinking this?

If you plan on racing it I would rethink it, racing 19 miles or more 3 weeks out is to close to DCM in my opinion. Races are handy in training to give you an indication how fitness is coming along but there not essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Helenasca wrote: »

I wasn’t in a position to do anything besides a 10 miler last year before DCM. Races are handy for the experience of preparing for them, trying out everything you plan to do on Marathon day and maybe seeing what pace you might possibly be able to do on Marathon day but they aren’t essential.

I assume you are treating the 3/4 marathon as a long run rather than actually racing it?

Advertisement