Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

I have been training away and generally doing well. Up to 13.1 miles last weekend, was tired but good. I did 7 miles in 55 minutes last night.
    I have noticed that for the hours after running, and even today, I feel a little bit short of breath.
    I don't really remember this from my previous marathons, but they were nearly 10 years ago.
    Is this anything to worry about?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 braynewbie

I have been training away and generally doing well. Up to 13.1 miles last weekend, was tired but good. I did 7 miles in 55 minutes last night.
    I have noticed that for the hours after running, and even today, I feel a little bit short of breath.
    I don't really remember this from my previous marathons, but they were nearly 10 years ago.

I run with a club and we've had a few members this year with this problem. It's being put down to the strange summer weather we've been having and also we've had significant smoke from gorse fires in the area. You might want to get it checked if you are worried about it. Some of our members have been put on inhalers for it.

braynewbie wrote: »
    I run with a club and we've had a few members this year with this problem. It's being put down to the strange summer weather we've been having and also we've had significant smoke from gorse fires in the area. You might want to get it checked if you are worried about it. Some of our members have been put on inhalers for it.

Yeah I've never had it before myself, apart from the general shortness of breath during running! I am getting my heartbeat scan through Laya in a couple of weeks so I might ask them about it then.
    Glad to hear others experiencing it anyway, I was wondering was it just another joy of living in a city and going running around 7pm when cars have belched out chemicals for 3-4 hours of rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

What type of run was it? Was it an easy midweek run or a pace run? If it was an easy run, 55 minutes for a 7 mile run would be what I would consider to be quite fast.
    Just to give you a comparison, my 7 mile easy run yesterday was 1:06:47, over 10 minutes slower that your own time. I also see from one of your previous posts from a couple of weeks ago, you were running 9 minute miles on an 11 mile run.

As for your shortness of breath, it seems very unusual that you would experience something like that in the hours after or even the day after your run. I would imagine if it's a problem that persists, you should definitely get it checked out.

coogy wrote: »
    What type of run was it? Was it an easy midweek run or a pace run? If it was an easy run, 55 minutes for a 7 mile run would be what I would consider to be quite fast.
    Just to give you a comparison, my 7 mile easy run yesterday was 1:06:47, over 10 minutes slower that your own time. I also see from one of your previous posts from a couple of weeks ago, you were running 9 minute miles on an 11 mile run.

As for your shortness of breath, it seems very unusual that you would experience something like that in the hours after or even the day after your run. I would imagine if it's a problem that persists, you should definitely get it checked out.

It was a pace run, I actually went a bit faster than pace just because I'm not going to be able to train for the next 2 nights so I basically did it as fast as I could, really pushing myself throughout.

Yeah I will get it checked out in the next couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Anyone who fancies posting their Fingal/Frank Duffy 10 mile number up here so that I can track it on Sunday? I'd really appreciate it. I'm going out to do some cheering/ spectating and I'd like to be able to follow anyone doing it on the RTRT tracker.

If any of ye are organising a meet up either before or after please let me know where. I'd love the chance to say hello :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Are many from this group doing the Frank Duffy 10 Mile on Sunday?

It's my first 10 mile race, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Anyone who fancies posting their Fingal/Frank Duffy 10 mile number up here so that I can track it on Sunday? I'd really appreciate it. I'm going out to do some cheering/ spectating and I'd like to be able to follow anyone doing it on the RTRT tracker.

If any of ye are organising a meet up either before or after please let me know where. I'd love the chance to say hello :D

Does this mean you're bringing the flapjacks?

Huzzah! wrote: »

It means I'm bringing a loud voice and two hands which will clap. David Gillick granola bars may possibly be made...though they could end up being given to randomers at the 3 mile water station! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

It means I'm bringing a loud voice and two hands which will clap. David Gillick granola bars may possibly be made...though they could end up being given to randomers at the 3 mile water station! :pac:

Only give them out with people with big 'B' beside their number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

gypsylee wrote: »

Great attitude, enjoy your first 10 miler. I personally thing it's a great distance, long enough not to have to run so fast you're in danger of coughing up a lung at the end but not so long that you can't walk for 3 days afterwards (we did tell you that bit about marathon running didn't we :pac:)! Best of luck.
    Huzzah! wrote: »

Priorities, priorities i like it :D

Well damn, if i'd known that... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

I'll be doing it but won't be racing it, No. 1515

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,474 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'll be there, 854, just doing the 10 this week as its a step back. God its great to consider a 10 miler as an easy one!, 20 the following weekend, the fear...

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Floored with tonsilitis. :( Not sure if I will make my LSR this Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ChippyRun

I'll be shuffling along at the back, #3162:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I'll be there, will check my number later although you may be able to search by name! Plan on arriving early enough for a few miles beforehand as I'm not running it at race pace!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

ChippyRun wrote: »
    I'll be shuffling along at the back, #3162:D

I'll be shuffling slower! Number: 561.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

Your number is the same for all the race series as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

999 :eek: Hoping it is not a bad omen.

I'll be doing this as an LSR as well - I have to move the 20 miler next week up to Thursday so want to keep the legs fresh.

Let me know if there's a meet up :D

Actually would this be a good one to do at PMP if I'm not planning on doing any miles before or after?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

gypsylee wrote: »

yeah I will be there- enjoy it!

• Advertisement

3307 for me!

yeah it would be good to say hi to a few of you/us/them!

Bit of an odd question, but I went public (to friends, work colleagues, family, twitter followers!) today about running DCM to raise money for charity....it's kinds added a bit of pressure to me now, not worried at all, but just didnt think about it until people started to talk to me about it!! Weird eh....anyone else experience same?

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Bit of an odd question, but I went public (to friends, work colleagues, family, twitter followers!) today about running DCM to raise money for charity....it's kinds added a bit of pressure to me now, not worried at all, but just didnt think about it until people started to talk to me about it!! Weird eh....anyone else experience same?

Pressure is for tyres. Won't be a bother to ya.

Are you referring to pressure in having to raise money for charity or pressure from running the actual marathon?

coogy wrote: »
    Are you referring to pressure in having to raise money for charity or pressure from running the actual marathon?

Pressure I’m going to have to run it now ha ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Supercell wrote: »
    I'll be there, 854, just doing the 10 this week as its a step back. God its great to consider a 10 miler as an easy one!, 20 the following weekend, the fear...

I can't tell you how relieved I am to see a post like this! To think of a 10 miler as a short run. We were warned about it early in the plan but it feels like we arrived here very quickly! And yes the 20 miler...sweet baby jesus. I'm only today feeling like I've recovered from the 18 miler.

I'm also running the FD 10 mile on Sunday, my bib is 597.

Thanks for the numbers folks. I'll let me know what I'll be wearing and where I'll be. I'd say ye will have a better chance of spotting me than me you!

So has anyone appointed themselves novices meet up and social secretary yet?

Thanks for the numbers folks. I'll let me know what I'll be wearing and where I'll be. I'd say ye will have a better chance of spotting me than me you!

So has anyone appointed themselves novices meet up and social secretary yet?

Well as this is my local race, nearly on my doorstep, I can pick a spot to meet pre race? Don’t want to interfere with people’s pre race routine, but Mastersons steakhouse will be very close to start line, anyone want to pick a time!

....and how do we recognise fellow novices?

Pressure I’m going to have to run it now ha ha!

I've been involved in a fair few fundraisers this year already so running for charity was not really an option.

Maybe next year............:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Quick one guys.

Did my 16 miles last Saturday, tired aftwrwards but was happy with it.
    During the week I have been doing 4-5 miles during lunch time as per normal and it's been a crap week. I feel fresh as a daisy every morning and during the day etc but found the runs a real slog. Like 2 miles in and my legs have that heavy feeling in them and mentally telling yourself to stop and have a walk.

Worried about my long run this weekend now.

Advertisement