Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I fixed this for you :D

:pac:

Nope - wisely, my last offer wasn't accepted, I'm not a good baker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

Best of luck to everyone doing the 10 Miler at the weekend. Enjoy it!

It was back to the grindstone for myself after having the Kilcock 10 Mile and Tullamore Half on consecutive weekends. In a way it felt a bit strange not waking up to go to an event this week! I would definitely say that the two strong runs in both were needed. I still recall doing the 24+KM run the week before and finding it mentally tough. This seeped into the motivation for that following weeks runs. The buzz around Kilcock and Tullamore have definitely helped to get my mojo back.

The increase in mileage has been interesting. After long days of working and commuting, it is a challenge. The next month or so is going to be tough going fitting everything in around work and life. But we are nearly at the top of the training hill at least. I figure if I can do 13KM at PMP after a hard days work on my feet, then 42 on the day should be okay, right? (At least that is what I keep telling myself!)

Today's long run saw me head into new terriority distance-wise, hitting 27.5. I only copped late that there was a planned run at that distance from my hometown group. So headed out on my own, taken the scenic route from Port to Monasterevin via Killenard. Could say I slightly cheated in Killenard by going the reverse to what I usually do. This meant the long drags were downhill as opposed to uphill. I tweaked the route as I went to my original plan which led to a bit of mickey-mousing around the town to ensure I made the distance. Looked great running past my parents house needing to go an extra .2KM and shouting 'I'll be back in a few!'

Feeling okay after it. A little bit stiff in places but the foam roller has helped out. It was also the first time to take onboard a gel. Tried the Kentica Cola one. Nice taste. I didn't hurl or need the toilet either, which was grand. I don't know if it's me but I do feel like I still have a bit of it on the back of my throat (that or my wife's head cold is coming after me in the coming days!). Did it work? I'd like to think it did - or at the very least I got a placebo effect. About 5K after it I felt fresher. I was tempted to try the second (a High5 Berry one) but decided against it in the end. Save that one for next week. Looking over the run I got a bit naughty pace-wise past 20K. Need to be more disciplined on that next week. But overall I feel happy out. Going to go and eat my fill now after that. It's been well earned!

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Afternoon all

Did the 20 miler today as I am away next weekend

The legs were very heavy starting out and I was bolloxed after 20k which wasn't what I was hoping for but putting that down to doing it a week early and changing my routine a bit midweek

Anyway I took stock at this point and pulled back a bit and focused on trying to run stronger and more upright and with shorter strides in an effort to conserve energy, thankfully, gradually I felt stronger and with about 6k to go I had my confidence back and knew I could finish

I always like to up the pace for the last kilometre to prove that I still have something left and I was able to do that again today

Mentally maybe we build this distance up too much, I didn't sleep well last night and the was probably due to subconsciously stressing about the run this morning, that plus the absolute monster of a spider I had to remove from the house last night before bed, terrifying, the fecking thing was a tarantula, honestly I was in favour of just burning the house down and moving on

Honestly lads and lasses if I can waddle my way round then the rest of you will have no bother next weekend

Best of luck the everyone doing the 10 mile tomorrow, enjoy

I have to go mow the lawn now and somehow I roped myself into helping my sister in law out with her couch to 5k tomorrow

A NyOmnishambles ramble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

Mentally maybe we build this distance up too much, I didn't sleep well last night and the was probably due to subconsciously stressing about the run this morning, that plus the absolute monster of a spider I had to remove from the house last night before bed, terrifying, the fecking thing was a tarantula, honestly I was in favour of just burning the house down and moving on

Wholeheartedly agree with your opening statement. I think anything past 21K seems like unknown territory for many of us. As you say, there is a mental hurdle to get over as we keep adding the klicks. A few weeks ago when I did a 24K run, it felt incredibly tough mentally once I passed 22K. This, despite going much slower than I would approach a half-marathon distance. I came home and seriously questioned would I be able to reach my intended targets given how I found it. It was a real eye opener and something, as I alluded to before, then affected the following few runs.

Today's run was only (only I say!) 6K longer than what I did last weekend. The last few klicks today did feel harder - and this after doing 21K at a minute a kilometre quicker last week! Personally, I think running solo makes it tougher. You have more time to mentally question yourself and what you are putting yourself through. I have found that with every new kilometre and milestone reached can lead to more questions - particularly when considering every step and how the body is feeling.

The good news is that despite all the trials and tribulations, we are probably going to be some of the best prepared for the challenge ahead, thanks to the guidance and support we have received from the mentors and the vets who have posted here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Quick one guys.

Did my 16 miles last Saturday, tired aftwrwards but was happy with it.
    During the week I have been doing 4-5 miles during lunch time as per normal and it's been a crap week. I feel fresh as a daisy every morning and during the day etc but found the runs a real slog. Like 2 miles in and my legs have that heavy feeling in them and mentally telling yourself to stop and have a walk.

Worried about my long run this weekend now.

And the absolute clusterf**k of a week continues. My 18 mile attempt turns into an embarrassing run/jog/walk/stop cycle of 8 miles.
    Legs felt totally gassed by mile 5 at which point I had to stop. Absolute joke, worst run I ever had. Totally despondent and fed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

And the absolute clusterf**k of a week continues. My 18 mile attempt turns into an embarrassing run/jog/walk/stop cycle of 8 miles.
    Legs felt totally gassed by mile 5 at which point I had to stop. Absolute joke, worst run I ever had. Totally despondent and fed up.

I see you have only recently started posting on the thread. Any chance you could answer the questions in the opening post of the thread and also tell us your training paces. We can then get some idea if it's possibly training related. 8 weeks to go, it's not too late to turn it around.

I see you have only recently started posting on the thread. Any chance you could answer the questions in the opening post of the thread and also tell us your training paces. We can then get some idea if it's possibly training related. 8 weeks to go, it's not too late to turn it around.

Sorry man, I shouldn't have vented especially in a thread that I have shadowed but not contributed to and more so given the positivity and encouragement in here for everyone.

Sorry man, I shouldn't have vented especially in a thread that I have shadowed but not contributed to and more so given the positivity and encouragement in here for everyone.

All the more reason to get involved now :)

Hey that's not a problem. It's never too late to join the party and you're more than welcome to. It's just that some background would be a huge help.

Hey that's not a problem. It's never too late to join the party and you're more than welcome to. It's just that some background would be a huge help.

I have been shadowing this thread for a good while since I'm not in a running club and all the runs I do is done solo!
    I did the clontarf half last November so had DCM in mind since then. Majority of my running this year has been done on my lunch break at work as it works best with young kids at home. Consistently doing 25 miles/week this way between 7 and 8 minute miles before starting to bring in longer runs on a saturday/sunday morning.
    Have been upping these runs each week. Did the 16 miles last week in just over 2 hours but all week on recovery runs ran at a slow pace I have found them a real tough slog culminating in this mornings disaster.

• Advertisement

As I'm sure ye can understand my chances of spotting any of ye running tomorrow are fairly slim seeing as I only have a few Strava images to go by and no real idea of when you'll be passing me. So I'll make it simple for ye to give me a shout :pac: I'll be 100/200 yards after the 3 mile water station and I'll be wearing either a bright orange tee shirt or running jacket, depending on weather ....simples!

I have been shadowing this thread for a good while since I'm not in a running club and all the runs I do is done solo!
    I did the clontarf half last November so had DCM in mind since then. Majority of my running this year has been done on my lunch break at work as it works best with young kids at home. Consistently doing 25 miles/week this way between 7 and 8 minute miles before starting to bring in longer runs on a saturday/sunday morning.
    Have been upping these runs each week. Did the 16 miles last week in just over 2 hours but all week on recovery runs ran at a slow pace I have found them a real tough slog culminating in this mornings disaster.

Those paces sound mental unless you're aiming for a sub 3 marathon. No wonder you're fooked! Have you run any races? Any times for races? Don't worry about not being in a club, very few here are. What was your Clontarf half time?

Those paces sound mental unless you're aiming for a sub 3 marathon. No wonder you're fooked! Have you run any races? Any times for races? Don't worry about not being in a club, very few here are. What was your Clontarf half time?

I did the clontarf half in 1 40. It's only race I have done in years. Tbh I just run to keep in reasonable shape and maintain a decent level of fitness.

I did the clontarf half in 1 40. It's only race I have done in years. Tbh I just run to keep in reasonable shape and maintain a decent level of fitness.

That's good running, well done. Slow your long runs down to 9:30 a mile. Let that 16 miler take 2.5 hours. It's better for your body in preparing for a marathon and will leave you fresher for the week ahead. Give it a try and see how you get on. The long runs, LSRs have an S in them for a reason. Keep them slow. I know it's counterintuitive but it really does work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck to everybody running tomorrow. Hope you all have a great day out.

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Well as this is my local race, nearly on my doorstep, I can pick a spot to meet pre race? Don’t want to interfere with people’s pre race routine, but Mastersons steakhouse will be very close to start line, anyone want to pick a time!

....and how do we recognise fellow novices?

I'll be around here before the race, I'll look forward to approaching random people asking are they from the internet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Good luck to all running FD10 tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I have been shadowing this thread for a good while since I'm not in a running club and all the runs I do is done solo! I did the clontarf half last November so had DCM in mind since then. Majority of my running this year has been done on my lunch break at work as it works best with young kids at home. Consistently doing 25 miles/week this way between 7 and 8 minute miles before starting to bring in longer runs on a saturday/sunday morning. Have been upping these runs each week. Did the 16 miles last week in just over 2 hours but all week on recovery runs ran at a slow pace I have found them a real tough slog culminating in this mornings disaster.

Hi Comic Book Guy, can you run before work maybe? I tried lunchtime runs myself a few times but found I ended up going way too hard because I'm thinking about having to get back to office, so those 'easy' runs were nothing near easy! You could keep one lunchtime 7/8min mile run as a tempo or something (maybe), but otherwise an early morning run at a slower pace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

That's good running, well done. Slow your long runs down to 9:30 a mile. Let that 16 miler take 2.5 hours. It's better for your body in preparing for a marathon and will leave you fresher for the week ahead. Give it a try and see how you get on. The long runs, LSRs have an S in them for a reason. Keep them slow. I know it's counterintuitive but it really does work.

Comic book guy welcome to the thread, it's never too late too join in so don't worry about that! Skyblue is our chief resident pace master so if he gives you advice on what pace to run your runs then I'd strongly advise you to pay heed ;)

Best of luck to each and every one of you running tomorrow - those of you treating it as a long run/session then i hope it all works out to plan for you guys, and for those racing it... well give it welly :pac: I can't wait to read all the reports (no pressure :D), have a great day one and all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

juke wrote: »
    I'll be around here before the race, I'll look forward to approaching random people asking are they from the internet :D

I’ll be there about 9:10/9:15!

A sheepish looking fella in a blue half marathon t-shirt

Hoping to recognise people by their user profiles!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 braynewbie

where are you based? maybe some others here are in the same area and you could join up for some slower runs with company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    I’m #416 (I think). I’m planning on plodding along at 6min ks as a training run with a view to speeding up towards the end if I’m feeling pretty good.

I kept this tactic during the 10 mile Irish Runner run (during my base building phase to my 12 week plan) and it worked a treat.

Opps, I’m actually #412 tomorrow, in a white and green Irish runner top.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Summerflower

I am just catching up on all of your posts, its so uplifting to see how great everyone is doing. I didnt get to post about the Kilcock 10 mile as my First Born was receiving CAO offers the following morning and I was a nervous wreak with worry that evening, luckily all went well and now accommodation and all that goes with getting them off to college is now sorted so my feet are firmly back on the ground and in DCM mode.

Thankfully I have managed to keep my long runs going and I am running FD in the morning too so I will be turning this off soon as it will be an early start. My number is 1100 and hopefully I will recognise some you tomorrow.

Just to say Kilcock was a great 10 mile run, great atmosphere and very well organised. A def PB course and one that I will return to next year if they have it in their plans.

Tullamore Half Marathon - Again a great run, extremely well organised a huge crowd and fantastic support. I didnt want to miss my first ever 18 mile run and the 1st on the plan so I ran 5 easy miles first then some stretching and then did the half as a LSR. I really enjoyed it, loads of water stops and it was great to practice taking the gels. However my garmin does not know that I ran 18 miles yet as I stopped it after the 5 miles and started fresh for the half marathon, so I feel like I cheated a bit..

Best of Luck everyone tomorrow at FD and well done to all the rest of you on all the great miles you are logging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Good luck everyone!!!! Have fun!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Headed out to do an 18 mile run today not knowing whether I would even make it half way, what with the legs feeling a bit dead all week and a bit of a hip niggle. Anyway got through it, but didn’t manage to keep it as slow as perhaps I should have. I have been heeding the concept of slow run, and did previous LSRs about 6.30 kilometers. Today however I ended up about three hours, with pace about 6.05/km. I just felt ok at that pace and when I slowed it a bit I ended drifting back up. Not sure how it will play out in the long run (see what I did there), may suffer a bit from the exertion. My target is about 4.15.
    I usually run soon after a meal, but today headed out three hours after breakfast bringing 2 nutrigrain bars and one gel and two small water bottles which I deposited at a point I would be revisiting twice. Had one bar at about 7 miles and the gel at mile 12, didn’t eat the second bar. About a mile from home I felt a bit light headed - probably not enough food or water for the warm day. Made it anyway but definitely need to pay more attention to intake for longer distances.
    Need to put in a nice few solid weeks work now and hopefully it will all pay off.
    Good luck to all ten milers tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Good morning. Weather looking good today. I'm up and raring to go. Will be on the road to Swords about 7.15 as I have never been there before and I have a tendency to get lost! Hopefully I will make it up in time. Looking forward to meeting some of you. Good luck to all running today whatever the location.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

gypsylee wrote: »
    Good morning. Weather looking good today.

Yep, the north county is looking well. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

gypsylee wrote: »
    Good morning. Weather looking good today. I'm up and raring to go. Will be on the road to Swords about 7.15 as I have never been there before and I have a tendency to get lost! Hopefully I will make it up in time. Looking forward to meeting some of you. Good luck to all running today whatever the location.

Pm if you get lost, I’ll be checking the forum till about 9am

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Road closure info from Fingal Co Co's Twitter.

Dl14EENXcAAgtN2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    I’ll be there about 9:10/9:15!

A sheepish looking fella in a blue half marathon t-shirt

Hoping to recognise people by their user profiles!!

I'm wearing my purple FD 10 mile t-shirt from last year!
    See you guys later! 😉

Advertisement