Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,474 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Will be wearing my orange 10k race series shirt from last year as usual on raceday. Hoping to complete the set this year! Dodgy tummy and below (eww!) last couple of days, going to take this prettty slow.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭yido1882

Best of luck to everyone racing this morning! I look forward to reading your race reports this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    I’ll be there about 9:10/9:15!

A sheepish looking fella in a blue half marathon t-shirt

Hoping to recognise people by their user profiles!!

Black singlet, blue sleeves

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

At the front door!

Embarrassed ourselves already asking strangers who they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Good luck to everyone racing today! (Or well done if you’re finished already, not sure what the start time was!)

I got my longest run so far, a 20 miler, done on Friday and I’m amazed I managed it! Great feeling. Away now for the week so I probably won’t be running much but I’ll try and manage a bit anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 braynewbie

Looking for advice, I went out for my LSR this morning, all went fine, had a gel at about 6 miles, had my camelbak of water, stoped for two toilet breaks (too much info :) ) and finished at 2 hrs 30 mins which was my target today. Then all of a sudden my fingers swelled up like sausages, that was about and hour ago and they are still swolen (sp). Anyone got an idea why this has happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

braynewbie wrote: »
    Looking for advice, I went out for my LSR this morning, all went fine, had a gel at about 6 miles, had my camelbak of water, stoped for two toilet breaks (too much info :) ) and finished at 2 hrs 30 mins which was my target today. Then all of a sudden my fingers swelled up like sausages, that was about and hour ago and they are still swolen (sp). Anyone got an idea why this has happened?

Allergy? Sting / nettles? that you didn’t notice with the Adrenalin of running?
    Anyway, not allowed to give medical advice here, so seek medical advice, especially if it extends further up the hand.
    Hold under cold tap, keep hand raised. (Common sense advice, not medical adviceðŸ˜)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Alorra

Got to shout out at sky blue in the last 2 miles or so ( at least who I think was blue). Amazing how good it was saying hello to one of the bosses. Although the look of who is this weirdo “priceless”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,474 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Very warm FD10 mile today, glad it clouded over for the second part of the race. Founds miles 4-6 a bit of a long drag but after that with the sun mostly gone it wasnt too bad. Tummy felt pretty dodgy throughout, glad it was a step back week as this was as far as i could go reasonably sensibly, heart rate was elevated above normal thoughout, character building!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

braynewbie wrote: »

This happens me on most long runs I think it is to do with blood vessels opening more while exercising and the excess fluid then goes to your hands. Particularly if you drink a lot of water on the run. I call it shovel hands!! Mine usually go back to normal shortly after the run.

15 mile LSR. Only got a 10k in this week on Monday as was floored with tonsilitis for the rest of the week so no running.

The first 10 miles were great. I set the pace for the group and at the 10 mile point we were at 1:32 and that was with a short stop for water. I was flying and loving life. I also took a gel at 7 mile even though I didn’t feel like I needed it but knew we had a 2 mile incline to get over.

At about 11 mile out of nowhere my body just gave up. Felt like I might have snapped in two my hips and calves were burning. Stopped to stretch and made it to the 13 mile water stop where I stretched some more. The next two miles were hell and were made up of stopping and starting and stopping again. Made it to 15 mile and with about 1.5 mile left to the car I walked the rest of the way and didn’t count it towards my training.

Feel fine now that I’m home and it is isn’t injury kind of pain just fatigue which I put down to being sick and missing out on a few extra training miles this week. Would have liked the extra mile or two but such is life...

Happy racing this weekend folks 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Alorra wrote: »
    Got to shout out at sky blue in the last 2 miles or so ( at least who I think was blue). Amazing how good it was saying hello to one of the bosses. Although the look of who is this weirdo “priceless”.

Confession time....if it was me you are right I hadn't a clue! :pac: Thankfully I managed to put most faces to names even if they were only fleeting shout outs. Even better news was that everyone seems to have run well whether they were racing or doing PMP runs. I'm delighted about that.

Hopefully ye will organise something else soon. I won't be around the weekend of the Dublin Half but maybe the last weekend of the taper pre DCM we can organise a nice slow trot and chat in the Phoenix Park.

Can’t say how much I enjoyed that race this morning. It was also great to meet a few people off of the internet before the race too...including coach Skyblue!

Felt a bit apprehensive coming off of a recent injury so said to myself I better just lsr this, said this all week, then I went out and raced the bloody thing.

Mile1: took it really handy, stayed on my line, no ducking and weaving as I’d normally do. Avg pace 9:05 per mile.

Mile2: course was still bunched with people as the narrow roads began, race line was being crowded out. Avg pace 8:50

Mile 3: first shout out to skyblue on the back roads. Roads still bunched- overtaking people was difficult. Avg pace 8:57

Miles 4 & 5: I cant remember much. Felt my pace slow as I met a friend who was struggling with pace/sun. They said head on as they wanted to walk a bit. Avg pace was 8:45/8:56

Mile 6-9: not sure I can explain but as I got faster I felt I was running really strong and just coasting by other runners. I’ve never really picked other runners off during a race but it worked really well today. Avg pace was 8:42/8:27/8:20/8:16. I was motoring through these miles.

Mile 10: final shout out to skyblue. Felt a little fade for a few parts of this mile, probably cause I knew the end was near. Did manage an out n out sprint finish which felt great to do. Avg pace 8:15

Heart rate was a bit ahem high!

Unofficial time was 1:27-Happy with the days work. Was able to run to and from the race as I live local too.

No niggles that I’m aware of.... only middle age! An Epsom bath and fry up post race was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

This thread has been a hive of activity this weekend between LSRs and race reports. Great running all round. I was delighted to get my 20 miler out of the way this morning. Hard to believe it's September already, the weeks are flying by.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Can’t say how much I enjoyed that race this morning. It was also great to meet a few people off of the internet before the race too...including coach Skyblue!

Felt a bit apprehensive coming off of a recent injury so said to myself I better just lsr this, said this all week, then I went out and raced the bloody thing.

Mile1: took it really handy, stayed on my line, no ducking and weaving as I’d normally do. Avg pace 9:05 per mile.

Mile2: course was still bunched with people as the narrow roads began, race line was being crowded out. Avg pace 8:50

Mile 3: first shout out to skyblue on the back roads. Roads still bunched- overtaking people was difficult. Avg pace 8:57

Miles 4 & 5: I cant remember much. Felt my pace slow as I met a friend who was struggling with pace/sun. They said head on as they wanted to walk a bit. Avg pace was 8:45/8:56

Mile 6-9: not sure I can explain but as I got faster I felt I was running really strong and just coasting by other runners. I’ve never really picked other runners off during a race but it worked really well today. Avg pace was 8:42/8:27/8:20/8:16. I was motoring through these miles.

Mile 10: final shout out to skyblue. Felt a little fade for a few parts of this mile, probably cause I knew the end was near. Did manage an out n out sprint finish which felt great to do. Avg pace 8:15

Heart rate was a bit ahem high!

Unofficial time was 1:27-Happy with the days work. Was able to run to and from the race as I live local too.

No niggles that I’m aware of.... only middle age! An Epsom bath and fry up post race was nice.

That's a great race report. I'm delighted it went so well for you.

Sorry I didn't get to Mastersons before the race. I got delayed leaving home.

That's a great race report. I'm delighted it went so well for you.

Sorry I didn't get to Mastersons before the race. I got delayed leaving home.

Next time Applegirl26- plenty more races to say hello to strangers off the internet!

Also, just to say- the paper cups at water stations was great to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Also, just to say- the paper cups at water stations was great to see!

They were good to see but I’ve yet to master the art of drinking from one while running, I just waterboarded myself. The kids homemade water stop at mile 6ish was my highlight, they were delighted with themselves :D

It was great to put some real life faces and names to the profiles! I went back again at the end but I didn’t see anyone-saying that I was too scared to ask some of the random people hanging round if I knew them from the internet :D

(I accidentally raced it a bit, ended up taking 15 mins off my last 10 mile race attempt. The difference loosing 3 stone makes! :) )

kittyclaws wrote: »

(I accidentally raced it a bit, ended up taking 15 mins off my last 10 mile race attempt. The difference loosing 3 stone makes! :) )

Wow! 15 minutes is fantastic. Well done

kittyclaws wrote: »

Brilliant time kittyclaws- well done

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Allergy? Sting / nettles? that you didn’t notice with the Adrenalin of running?
    Anyway, not allowed to give medical advice here, so seek medical advice, especially if it extends further up the hand.
    Hold under cold tap, keep hand raised. (Common sense advice, not medical adviceðŸ˜)

thanks but definitely not allergy or sting :)

• Advertisement

smeal wrote: »
    This happens me on most long runs I think it is to do with blood vessels opening more while exercising and the excess fluid then goes to your hands. Particularly if you drink a lot of water on the run. I call it shovel hands!! Mine usually go back to normal shortly after the run.

thanks, this kinda makes sense, at least I know it's not just me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Just to echo the others, great to see you cheering us on skyblue46 (presume you're glued to the match now!) , Especially in the last mile, I was wrecked!
    Pleased with my session-style run, hard to hit the last hard mile rep but managed to sprint the finish so pleased enough overall. Nice to come home from a race with the feeling of having really enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Nice to put some faces to the names today and thanks to SBB for coming out to cheer us on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Definitely had that look about him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Nice to put some faces to the names today and thanks to SBB for coming out to cheer us on.

Echo that, thanks skyblue42.

Excerpt from my log today:
    Sun 2: FD 10 Mile

Race: Plan was to run with Huzzah!, I - at something resembling pace, she - on her last LSR before Berlin. I have never run with anyone before, so was curious to see how it would go.

I struggled with the humidity from the off, but I marvelled at Huzzah!’s steady pace. I messed up on my drinks bottles and had to come to a complete stop each time to drink from the 2nd one, but was able to pull her back ok. I think I might have been inclined to walk or pull back on the pace if she wasn’t a target ahead of me

I enjoyed the country roads, thought the race was very well organised - especially the end. Whilst I struggled today, I had decided anything under 1.50 would be ok. I did that and now it's back to focusing on the main thing.

16.2k @ 6.43, HR ave 156 max 175.
    Chip time: 1.48.34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Just to echo the others, great to see you cheering us on skyblue46 (presume you're glued to the match now!) , Especially in the last mile, I was wrecked!
    Pleased with my session-style run, hard to hit the last hard mile rep but managed to sprint the finish so pleased enough overall. Nice to come home from a race with the feeling of having really enjoyed it!

COYBIB!!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    COYBIB!!

Átha Cliath Abú!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Congratulations to those of you who ran the Frank Duffy 10m race! It sounds like most of you had a good day out and did very well at achieving PBs or completing target sessions.

smeal sorry to hear your long run didn’t go so well. It sounds like you may have hit a wall. Do you think you were going a little fast in the early miles? I’m not sure if it will help but one thing i try and do to keep the calves loose is to kick my bums for about 10 kicks - i do this every 4-5 miles just to loosen them out. We will all have a bad run occasionally though for no obvious reason, hopefully next week will be better.

Week 11

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun
    NNH1|rest|3m easy|8m easy|4m easy|rest|16m lsr|rest
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|4m easy|1m w/u, 6m pace, 1m c/d|4m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|20m lsr|3m rec

This week brings the first official 20 miler! I know some of you have already achieved this distance and well done on that. It’s a real milestone to tick this run off the list. Don’t be afraid of it, you are all well prepared having run 16-18 miles already. If it gets tough just keep telling yourself how good you will feel when it’s done and when you get to report back here ;)

For those who raced FD this weekend please take extra care in your runs in the early part of this week - you are still recovering so please keep a close check on your paces, you may need to run slower than your usual easy pace or even reduce the distance a little, listen to your body guys and recover well!

If you haven't already then please use this week's long run to practice fueling on the run, carry some water with you also or arrange to have some left out at 2-3 stops along your route. As 20m is your longest long run it's also a good run to practice wearing your race day outfit, we wouldn't want you to have any issues with chaffing on the big day :eek:

Best of luck with this week's running :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Sounds like a great day out at FD today. Well done to all of you. Great some of ye met up too. It’s brilliant when you know people and ye can meet again at the HM. Maybe some of you could do your long runs together too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I tried Tailwind for the first time this weekend. I was only doing 16km and wouldn't normally take anything on that distance, and obviously I still don't know if it would give me energy 2/3 hours into a run, but figured I would bring a bottle just to test it out the taste and see if it had any immediate reactions.

I am undecided on it to be honest, and a lot of it is the practical side of things. I hated having to carry a litre bottle right from the start and I still can't see how it would work in the marathon itself. Unless you wear a hydration pack, which I don't want to do, how can I actually get a tailwind mix into me during the race? If I remember correctly the water stops had little 300 ml bottles of water in 2016, so do I have to stop and measure powder into the bottles during the race? What happens if they have paper cups instead? What about later in the marathon when water stops are thin on the ground?

Unless I am missing something obvious here I think I might prefer to carry my own gels and food than carry my own water for a full marathon.

Advertisement